Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

After what Lionel and Jean would call a fry-up for breakfast (no tinned beans or soggy tomato, but voluminous and beholden to grease), and a late mug of a riff on Lulu's garlicky French lentil soup (love Vitamix!!) sipped for lunch, an lperry sort of a dinner:

Left side of plate:

Raw Tuscan kale salad w thyme-scented marinaded feta, black bits of oil-cured olives and squishy yellow, slow-roasted Italian plum tomatoes.

Right side:

Shreds of raw, red beets w slivered, supremed Tarroco orange, snipped chives and chiffonade of mint.

Thick slab of Puglese, toasted to mop up

Good Chianti, not quite vinegary but

N.B. The Tarroco orange was fantastic. Purchased at Friendship Hts Safeway. Pretty and sweet as the ones I've had on winter mornings spent over the course of many years in cold kitchens not far from their source.

Dinner last night:

Chilled early spring soup (roasted asparagus and green garlic from dupont pureed with a couple canned san marzanos and south mountain cream), vincotto, pickled shallots, brioche (LeoNora!) croutons.

Weisswurst (German gourmet) over endless summer arugula* wilted with shallots, red chilis, green garlic, muscat grapes, and pork stock.

Cheap cold white wine...the house was hot. Keswick choclate pudding for dessert.

...an lperry sort of a dinner:

Hmmmm. I didn't realize I have a pattern!

Spinach salad topped with roasted butternut squash (from the 2011 garden), apple, goat's cheese, and dried cranberries (cliché, but tasty), all in a mustard vinaigrette. A fall-ish dinner to go with the fall-ish weather.

cochinita pibil* made with herb-brined eco-friendly pork shoulder

home-made refried beans

rice

salsa cruda which included tomatillos and roasted corn

tortillas

mango panna cotta

Negra Modelo

*skin on meat is scored, then the roast is completely enrobed with a spice recado made of achiote paste, orange juice, lime juice, garlic, onion and cilantro, wrapped in banana leaves, double wrapped in aluminum foil and slow baked in the oven at 300 degrees for 4-5 hours. Unwrapped and top-roasted for 15 minutes to brown and crisp the skin. Fall apart succulent. We were happy campers last night.

Home-grown radishes with butter and salt

Pizzas topped with new potatoes (pan-fried in butter) and goat's cheese (put in the mini-chop with fresh dill and lemon)

The pizza crusts were the frozen ones from the Happy Tart, and they were quite good.

Last night:

Striata baguette from Marvelous Market, with extra virgin olive oil for dipping

Even more leftover stuffed pasta shells (did I make a lot of those... :blink: )

Eggy fried rice with garlic, ginger, mint, and fresh peas

Steamed asparagus with lemon and toasted bread crumbs

My husband ate the shells while I monopolized the rice. We shared the rest.

Casual company, al fresco, and ahhhh:

• Cherry Glen Monocacy Chipotle on Edward & Sons purple rice and black sesame crackers
  • Smith Meadows Bratwurst and mixed bell peppers, beer-steamed on the grill, on just-baked rolls
  • Beer-steamed asparagus with garlic (yes, roasted/grilled is better, but we got lazy and the wolves were after us)
  • Freshly cut sweet potato oven fries, with a dill/peppadew/lime mayonnaise for dipping
  • Palate-bracing jalapeno carrot and cucumber pickles (Del Ray farmers market mavens take note, much deliciousness from Fresh Crunch!)
  • Ancient Peaks Zinfandel, roof-smattering terroir providing a surprisingly soft and supple, crowd-pleasing effect
  • "Simple Slushies": Malbec wine, with vanilla pod/apple/cinnamon/honey simple syrup, and a splash of tonic water, served over ice
  • Apple and orange pie, hot, a la mode, with a drizzle of the long-steeped simple syrup

Homemade tagliatelle. Sauce made from rendering some Benton's prosciutto and then sauteeing some chopped fresh asparagus in the prosciutto fat, some added smoked bacon fat, and a pat of butter. Added the pasta to that mix along with a ladle of pasta water and parm to bring it together.

Laughing Dog Devil Dog IPA.

Last night, roasted cauliflower, steamed green beans in a mustard sauce, and green garlic mashed potatoes.

Tonight, fifteen bean and spinach soup with pecorino romano on top and cornmeal griddle cakes on the side. We haven't had soup weather like this in a while.

Last Night: Black Beans, Pork, and Jasmine rice.

Made stock from 4 hour slow poached smoked ham hock w/ some thyme, bay leaves, fennel seed, corriander seed, carrots and a head of garlic. Strained and reduced stock and cooked soaked/dried black beans in until tender. Reserved stock / black bean liquid for rice.

Crisped up some "lardons" cut from my homemade bacon which I smoked this past Saturday. Removed "lardons" and scorched a "sofrito" (from food processor) of celery, red bell, green bell, 2 jalapenos, 1/2 spanish onion until the liquid was gone. Added some canned san marzano tomato liquid cooked until reduced. Added rinsed rice, lardons, shredded smoked ham hock meat, reduced stock / bean liquid, and hand torn canned san marzano tomatoes.

Seasoned with ancho chili powder, cumin, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, and black pepper. Cover with heavy lid and cook @ 350 for 35 minutes until thickened.

Adapted from America's Test Kitchen:

http://i.imgur.com/1Q0RZ.jpg

Hmmmm. I didn't realize I have a pattern!

Spinach salad topped with roasted butternut squash (from the 2011 garden), apple, goat's cheese, and dried cranberries (cliché, but tasty), all in a mustard vinaigrette. A fall-ish dinner to go with the fall-ish weather.

Case in point. :) Salad for dinner, not protein-driven [no nuts, not a cliché].

Braised half of a French-cut chicken breast

Morel cream sauce w snipped chives

Green garlic, spring onions, white wine, Meyer lemon peel, a little broth....

Brown rice pilaf

Asparagus

White from Pays d'Oc

Strawberries from California

Last night we had mixed berry / protein powder smoothies (to counteract overindulgence at a friend's birthday dinner on Tuesday.)

Tonight was a red wine and mushroom stock risotto topped with crimini mushrooms in a red wine, balsamic, honey reduction. Roasted cauliflower on the side. That stuff is just amazing.

Tonight was a red wine and mushroom stock risotto...

Ooh, ooh, I now know what to do with my leftover red wine! Thanks, lperry!!

Tonight will be Sliced pork belly with asparagus, stir-fried in vegetarian oyster sauce, and Cubed chicken with tofu stir-fried in soy sauce.

Last night:

Arugula and frisee salad with tomatoes, artichoke hearts, fresh mozzarella, and homemade croutons; white wine vinaigrette

Spicy Italian turkey sausage, kale, and rice soup

Rigatoni with artichokes, garlic, and olives

Corn on the cob with butter

Last week I made some Indian vegetarian food,

6969964238_b9fc4d79c4.jpg

and some Thai food (of course),

7116044353_1e667d7765.jpg

This week I finally got around to cooking from my new Sri Lankan cookbook, Rice and Curry. The author of this book is S. H. Fernando Jr. who turns out to be the same guy as Skiz Fernanado AKA Spectre AKA The ill Saint, DJ and label head of the strange and confounding Wordsound label. This music was one of my main inspirations for getting into the DJ game (though I don't actually spin Wordsound music much outside my own home. It's an acquired taste.)

Turns out Skiz has been doing food related stuff for a few years now, including living with relatives in Sri Lanka for a year to collect recipes for this book. He appeared on the No Reservations Sri Lanka episode (which I have not seen) and has a nice cooking and travel blog and some good cooking videos. He now resides in Baltimore.

I made Kukal Mas (chicken curry the photo below is cooking in progress, not the finished dish),

6969964968_60d34edf9a.jpg

Vambotu curry (Aunty Manel's Special Eggplant Curry), Radish and Tomato Sambol, and brown jasmine rice. I had been waiting to cook from this book till I could get fresh curry leaves, but all the usual spots were out, so I just left them out. Everything was still tasty but if anyone has seen fresh curry leaves anywhere let me know. I will be cooking from this book again very soon.

7124517591_5f03009696.jpg

Back to Thai food last night. Salmon with basil and chillies, roasted eggplant salad, pork jerky (from Bangkok 54) and brown jasmine rice.

6978433462_0bb2c20410.jpg

This week also included much sticky rice and mango, both store bought and homemade.

Monday:

Leftover spicy Italian turkey sausage, kale, and rice soup

Steak salad (sliced leftover delmonico steak, baby arugula, Campari tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, croutons; creamy Italian or honey mustard dressing)

Leftover prosciutto-mozzarella asparagus bundles

Tuesday:

Leftover spicy Italian turkey sausage, kale, and rice soup

Applesauce

Roast pork loin with gravy

Mashed potatoes

Last night:

Baby arugula with Campari tomatoes and fresh mozzarella; creamy Italian dressing

Whole grain bread and soy spread

Costco rotisserie chicken

Leftover mashed potatoes

Last night:

Shrimp with Dario Cecchini's "profumo del chianti", pimenton, and lemon.

over sweet corn pureed with shallot, burro di bufala, and south mountain milk

Greens with lemon and garlic

Tonight dinner will be:

Buffalo Chili with ground dried anchos from Penzeys, some Buffalo chuck from the courthouse market, cumin seeds, valrhona cocoa powder, dark beer, etc.

Cast iron cornbread with keswick cheddar

cumin creme fraice, chopped white onion, more cheddar

After a lot of travel and a lot of time away from the kitchen, I cooked dinner for my husband and parents last night - and I am definitely RUSTY! I made a saffron chicken pasta dish that I've made before, but I totally underestimated the timing, I forgot two key ingredients for the sauce (lemon juice and basil), and I somehow undersalted the whole thing, even though I seasoned at every step. Luckily, everyone was really hungry. :P

Glad to be back on the horse...

A night of stir-fries:

Ahi tuna cubes with edamame and almonds with a simple spritz of cider apple vinegar and alcohol

Tomato and eggs and

Sauteed Spinach

Dessert was one lovely piece of caramel delite GS cookie. Yum.

Sad part = Caps losing in OT.

Vegetable salads the past few nights I've cooked. Black rice with peas and pecorino romano in a mustard vinaigrette, roasted eggplant with tahini sauce (deconstructed baba ganouj?), and chickpeas, roasted butternut squash, and green Vidalia onion in a lemon, olive oil dressing. Lightening up for the summer.

Some things I have been cooking,

Saturday I grilled a chicken (ไก่ย่าง) (garlic, cilantro root, white pepper, coriander seed, palm sugar, fish sauce), steamed some sticky rice (ข้าวเหนียว), and made green papaya salad (ส้มตำมะละกอ). Also made a dipping sauce of lime juice, fish sauce, shallots, roasted rice powder, roasted galanga, palm sugar and dried chillies (น้ำจิ้มแจ่ว).

7164815574_3e73b42106.jpg

Sunday, grilled chicken salad (ยำไก่ย่าง), rice and vegetables. (no photo)

Monday, more som tam (green papaya salad, ส้มตำ) rice, bacon, vegetables, Thai "omelet" (ไข่ยัดไส้), and Lagunitas Imperial Red Ale.

7164904796_3837097856.jpg

Yesterday, I made lamb curry (Elu Mas) from Rice and Curry (inspired by my trip to Maryland Sheep and Wool, Baaaah!). Thanks to Crackpot Gourmet, I located a nearby Indian Grocery with fresh curry leaves :). Also, rice, okra and broccoli curry, tomato and onion salad and more of that good beer.

7164934258_dc59a2b1c3.jpg

blank.jpg

Last night - chicken, pepper jack, and peach quesadillas with a salad. First peaches of the season are teeny tiny, but oh so tasty.

Tonight - grilled chicken and pineapple sandwiches with jalapeno and red onion, with the first corn of the season (also teeny tiny - not very sweet, but I always get really jazzed about the appearance of summer produce).

Recipe !
Well, I found this version today, which is probably more like chicken nuggets. Mine went something like this:

1 to 2 pieces of chicken breast meat (cut into cubes)

Salt

Pepper

Ginger slices (or insert your favorite herb here)

Sweet Potato Flour

Panko

Marinade (Night before):

Milk

Alcohol (Rice wine or a sweet hard liquor)

A splash of soy sauce

Prep:

• Cube chicken, put into marinade, let it sit overnight.
  • Take chicken out, pat dry a little, toss into salt and pepper.
  • Coat with Sweet Potato Flour and then finish with panko (egg wash optional).
  • Use leftover fat (chicken fat in this case) + high-heat-tolerant frying oil -- heat to optimal temperature for frying. (Make sure it covers half of the chicken).

When oil is hot enough (chopsticks test), toss in herb (ginger for me), then place gently coated chicken cubes.

Flip when ready,

Drain and serve.

post-2127-0-09139600-1336767206_thumb.jp

From the Del Ray market yesterday, I made

7192582596_a0f483916e_z.jpg

Asparagus Veloute with lemon and thyme. I broiled it topped with buffalo mozzarella and Fulvi.

And

7192581830_29dacb99c4_z.jpg

Strawberry Buttermilk Ice Cream topped with caramel balsamic vinegar (Olio Tasting Room)

Saturday night, pre-Mom's day special: Hardware Store Oysters*

• rinsed thoroughly, shucked quickly to the halfshell
  • topped with minced shallot, ginger, and mango, and a splash of a moscato vinaigrette
  • then placed on a mesquite-smoke lump charcoal fire, and put the lid on.

Four minutes later, this was the kind of food that makes you gasp "there is a God!". Smoky, briny, barely fruity, edge-of-spicy from the ginger, hint of sweet from the wine, and above all, pure and prevalent oyster flavor.

*From a tucked away cooler in the corner of a tiny hardware store in the Tidewater area. The store owner's cousin has an oyster business. Whenever the owner has to make a trek over to the Eastern Shore by way of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, he recoups his $13 fare by selling 25 outrageously perfect oysters for $13. You can sometimes luck into buying more than one bag, which we did Saturday night, and have an epic feast.

Last night:

Sourdough toast with hummus

José Andrés's Fried Egg with Chorizo

Steamed spinach

Roasted red potatoes

I found the egg/chorizo recipe on Serious Eats. It was delicious and satisfying, but I altered the recipe a little and it was a bit too greasy. I'm not sure if making the recipe exactly as written would result in it not being greasy, though. Since the SE notes on the recipe said it would be good with greens, I served this over the spinach.

Dinner around 10 since I made strawberry shortcake for a late-afternoon lunch (again) with a surplus of strawberries mostly from Next Step Produce and cream from Clear Spring Creamery. Walked off a bit of it when heading to and fro Qualia, chosing aromatic coffee beans from Sidoma as a splurge.

• 2 tacos filled w shredded chicken thighs braised in salsa verde, topped w slivered French breakfast radishes and their leaves and crumbled goat cheese
  • Reheated arroz 'bianco" prepared with green garlic, spring onions and brown Jasmine rice
  • Last of the macerated strawberries

Japanese food Sunday:

Yudebuta to shiomominasu - sumiso dare: boiled pork shoulder with raw eggplant, vinegar-miso sauce

Toumorokoshi genmai gohan: brown rice with fresh corn mixed in

Hamaguri bata-yaki: butter-fried clams

Kyuuri to wakame no sumomi: vinegared cucumbers and wakame seaweed. I don't think mine could actually be called sumomi because I used ponzu instead of a vinegar dressing.

Miso soup with shiitake

Iburigakko: smoked pickled daikon radish