Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

...really good olive oil

Identity? Just ran out myself.

Last night not memorable, but tonight planning on Macedonian nettle and cheese pie, variation on a Wolfert recipe, mixing nettles with lamb's quarters, radish tops, sorrel and a little Tuscan kale. Still not sure what to do with the first batch of the pastry dough with olive oil since I didn't trust gut and adhered to misprinted measurement, adding twice as much water as needed.

Inspired by this Primal Grill episode, but deviating from it mightily....

Grilled Seafood Night, courtesy of oak lump charcoal and happy little hickory chips.

• Tuna steaks, half hour marinade of pureed flat-leaf parsley, lemon zest, garlic, olive oil, white pepper, salt, splash of white wine vinegar (first pic).
  • Steam-grilled littleneck clams, in a beer/butter/garlic/Thai chile foil boat (second pic).
  • Bi-color corn, lightly buttered, protected with foil.
  • Dessert: Garden strawberries with a touch of warmed caramel.

Ridiculously delicious for something so simple.

post-5654-0-71872300-1337288538_thumb.jp

post-5654-0-64530900-1337288549_thumb.jp

Counteracting travel food with salads. Chickpea salad with mint, green Vidalia onion, and lemon, olive oil dressing over the last lettuce from the garden, and a falafel salad with Costco falafels and a tahini, lemon dressing.

Last night:

Striata baguette and butter

Lettuce wraps with tuna chunks and asparagus tips in peanut - cilantro - basil sauce

Roasted chicken basted with beer

Steamed asparagus

The tuna was leftover from Wednesday:

Herb salad mix and Campari tomatoes with homemade croutons, creamy Italian dressing

Seared tuna pepper steaks

Leftover roasted red potatoes

Achad (Cucumber Pickle) อาจาด with Tod Man Pla (Fish Cakes) ทอดมันปลา , Lap Gai (Ground Chicken Salad) ลาบไก่, Gai Phat Bai Kaphrao (Chicken Stir-Fried with Holy Basil) ไก่ผัดใบกะเพรา, jasmine rice, Elysian Bete Blanche Tripel

7221898342_35e03f3e65.jpg

Back from another week traveling, so another week of salads. Mixed greens topped with chopped apples and manchego, dressed with a walnut oil sherry vinaigrette.

It's funny how when I travel now and go to restaurants that people in other areas think are wonderful, I realize just how lucky we are to be here, surrounded by so much amazing food. I hope I get to stay home a while.

It's funny how when I travel now and go to restaurants that people in other areas think are wonderful, I realize just how lucky we are to be here, surrounded by so much amazing food. I hope I get to stay home a while.

Calvin Trillin describes such places on his travels as "La Maison de La Casa House."

Tuesday night:

Romaine lettuce salad with Campari tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, and croutons; creamy Italian dressing

Chicken breasts with roasted garlic onion jam, brie, and sliced almonds

Baked potatoes with butter or sour cream

The chicken is an old recipe I hadn't made in a long time. I forgot how good it is. After browning skinless boneless breasts on the stovetop, you top them with the other components and put in the oven to finish. The original calls for apricot preserves. I had brie that really had to be eaten soon but no apricot preserves. I used Stonewall Kitchen roasted garlic and onion jam instead, and I think I liked it even better than fruit preserves for this.

Last night:

Leftover romaine salad

Rigatoni in bechamel sauce with mushrooms, Campari tomatoes, baby bok choy, bacon and Parmesan

The rigatoni was thrown together out of ingredients I had and needed to use. It came out surprisingly well but, of course, generated more leftovers :P .

Here's what I have been cooking this past week.

Last Saturday (sorry I'm way behind), Thai chicken curry ("curry" curry, gaeng kari i.e. the Thai version of a south Asian curry), cucumber pickle (achad), store-bought chive dumplings, jasmine rice.

7287240478_f203340526.jpg

Monday, pork fried rice (khao phat mu) an excellent vegetable drawer cleaner.

7287240004_549fc963ac.jpg

Wednesday, I got a new book from the Sackler, "Seafood of Southeast Asia" with lots of drawings of fish and some crazy recipes collected by the author in Southeast Asia in the 1970s. In the Thai section there is a recipe for Jaew Plah Too, or spicy salted mackerel dip (similar to the one we made in my class). It called for around 50 chillies(!). Of course I had to try it. I also made green papaya salad (som tam) and pork (Ayrshire farm) meatballs (mu pan con tord) and jasmine rice.

7287239406_2c5e581ced.jpg

Thursday, Sri Lankan chicken curry (Kukal Mas) (with curry leaves :) ), and mixed vegetable curry, with rice.

7287238746_b3900bd93f.jpg

Saturday, grilled (eco-friendly) chicken (Gai Yang), green papaya salad (som tam), jaew (two kinds, the mackerel will last a while), and sticky rice.

7287238228_70f8030508.jpg

Yesterday, grilled chicken salad (yum gai yang), rice and veggies, with Brooklyn Local #1 (for me) and Moscado (for the ladies) and I didn't take a photo.

Having returned home mid-afternoon after several days away, I decided to go with simple for dinner last night:

Salad of romaine, Campari tomatoes, button mushrooms, cucumber; sherry vinaigrette

Rotini pasta with pesto

Salad of mixed greens from the garden (butterhead lettuces, mache, frisee, sorrel) with Maytag blue cheese, strawberries, pistachios and a strawberry vinaigrette (champagne vinegar)

Salad of barley (whole, from Next Step), parsely, black olives, yellow bell peppers, artichoke hearts, tomato, lemon, olive oil

iceberg salad with avocado and blue cheese dressing

herb-brined, charcoal-grilled, cherrywood-smoked eco-friendly pork chops

twice-cooked, grilled potato (ie. leftover baked potato, cut open, oiled and reheated on the grill)

elephant beans cooked in smoked turkey broth

grilled corn-off-the-cob

watermelon

Hell or High Watermelon

Some Assembly is Required: A casual, al fresco, lettuce-wrap meal

Green leaf lettuce from the garden

Grilled, sliced, marinated flank steak

Grilled corn, cut off the cob

Shredded carrot

Sliced water chestnuts with coconut milk

Spicy peanut sauce from homemade peanut butter, coconut milk, lime, Thai chilis

Shirakiku Hitomebore rice steamed in chicken stock

Vanilla Mint Lemonade; spiked with Captain Morgan's silver, with spearmint from the garden and pod-steeped simple syrup, may be my new summer beverage

Have you actually found sour cherries, or did you use sweet ones?

Sour cherries from Country Pleasures at the Dupont Market. Crazy expensive at $5 a pint, but I guarantee J one sour cherry pie per summer, and $15 for the cherries is a price I'm willing to pay. If I am going to put up some cherry preserves, we are going to have to go pick our own in Poolesville. If we do, I'll make another cherry pie. Pitting the damn things is such a hassle.

^Hersch, if you can get to Rockville for either of their markets check out Scenic View Orchards. Last year their sour cherries were amazing. They didn't have them as of last weekend. I'll try to remember to report to you when they are available.

---------

roast pork fried rice (pork left over from a lunch at East Pearl)

Smoked salmon with dill, shallots, and cream cheese on onion rye dill toast

Salad of baby arugula, frisee, tomato, hard-boiled eggs, and cucumber; ranch dressing

Baked chicken legs with peach salsa

Baked potatoes with butter

I used a little champagne mimosa vinegar from Sapore (near Eastern Market) both on the chicken and in the salsa. I like their oils, so I've moved onto the vinegars.

We've been doing a lot of lean meats (mostly grilled chicken and sirloin steak) and steamed veggies lately, healthy but boring, but today I made "Cheesy Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Baked Chicken" from skinnytaste.com. Thin-sliced breast cutlets stuffed with diced jalapenos, reduced fat cream cheese, bacon crumbles, scallions, and a bit of jack cheese, then rolled up, dipped in a lime juice/olive oil mixture, and breaded in Italian-style crumbs. Baked for about 22 minutes at 450 - really moist and incredibly flavorful. Two stuffed breasts were about 375 calories and very satisfying.

Frisee and baby arugula salad with hard-boiled eggs, feta, avocado, and cucumber; champagne mimosa vinaigrette

Spicy Italian turkey sausages

Onion dill rye toast with hummus

Smoked salmon, capers, lemon

Paprika/dill seed goat cheese

Thin-sliced pumpernickel

Roasted vegetable manicotti

Mixed green salad with balsamic vinaigrette

White chocolate mousse using El Rey Icoa

Spring Valley raspberries

Ketel One Gimlets (anathema, but I try to be a good hostess), Diablos, lots of wine

Brought a couple of sides/apps to a dinner party last night -

* Grilled jalapeno poppers (halved, stuffed with cheeses, herbs, and diced tomatoes, and then charred/melted on the grill at the party)

* Spiced tomato salad, with cumin, white balsamic, and garlic

Friday night, carb loading with pasta y fagioli, made with black beans because that's what was in the pantry, so pasta y frijoles? Thyme and oregano from the garden.

Tonight, portobello mushrooms on the grill, topped with an herbed goat's cheese from the Four Mile Run farmers' market and walnuts from a California farmers' market. Served on top of a bed of baby spinach dressed in an herb vinaigrette.

fauxjitos

tzatziki with pita chips

Italian meatball* sandwiches with mozz and fresh tomato** marinara

mixed lettuce salad with lemon vinaigrette

*ground beef from Martin's Angus beef in The Plains, VA--purchased at Palisades farmers market

**tomato seconds from Toigo