Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Salad of red leaf lettuce, radishes, cucumber, and hard-boiled egg; champagne-caper vinaigrette

Leftover chicken enchiladas with salsa verde, avocado, and sour cream
Refried beans with green chilies

Hodge podge night.

Made a big batch of a soup with fresh broccoli, Reggiano, fresh lemon juice, garlic and chicken broth I really like. Added some grilled* Straw, Stick & Brick sausage.

BreadFurst baguette slices

Leftover collards from Pitmasters Back Alley

* How 'bout this weather?! First time getting the cover off the grill outside in far too long. Amazing just a week ago, there was 8-10" of snow on it.

Last night was pizza with garlic butter sauce topped with spinach and sausage satueed with garlic and some fresh mozzarella.  My half also had halved cherry tomatoes.

Do you use a stone? Pizza is one thing we never make at home because have always felt like it requires more infrastructure than realistic for a residential home. Still, know lots of people do it and I've enjoyed versions at friends' houses. Yours sounds like it was really good!

Do you use a stone? Pizza is one thing we never make at home because have always felt like it requires more infrastructure than realistic for a residential home. Still, know lots of people do it and I've enjoyed versions at friends' houses. Yours sounds like it was really good!

No, I actually having a baking sheet with holes in it that I use that my husband had when I moved into his place so I am sure it was super cheap.  I am sure I don't qualify for making amazing pizza, but it's not bad. We had a pizza stone, not sure what happened to it, I think maybe it broke.  I never really liked it because my dough always stuck to it no matter what I did.  I do have to remember to not cut the pizza on the baking sheet or stuff will then drip through.  I sometimes forget that step.  Someone got me pie tins that have these same wholes and for the life of me I have never figured out how to get the pie out of them without making a big mess. I should put those in a goodwill bag as I have like 5 other pie dishes.

• Like 1

lamb tagine with prunes and apricots, carrots and sweet potatoes, ras el hanout and saffron, dried lemon and preserved lemon

couscous drizzled with spiced butter

roasted root veg (celeriac, parsnip, carrot, golden beet, sweet potato, fennel, tomato; coriander, cumin, fennel seed, turmeric, sumac)

crepes that couldn't decide whether to be blintzes or Suzette, but Meyer lemon instead of orange

rare whiskey

• Like 1

Chicken soup with brown rice, quinoa, and freekeh

Fish tacos (leftover baked cod; buttermilk - vinegar slaw with jalapenos; cilantro; radishes; and queso fresco
Leftover refried beans with chilies
Cheese fries with jalapeí±o, bacon and cholula sauce

Trying to clear stuff out of the freezer, I found a bag of some kind of organic shoestring french fries I bought many moons ago at Whole Foods (many, many moons).  I had no idea if they would be any good, especially since there were some clumps of ice in the bag.  After trying to brush the ice off, I finally just ran the whole lot under cold water in a colander and then dried them off.  Topped with, uh, toppings and baked they were amazingly decent.

^I used the recipe in the most recent Gourmet Cookbook as a template but didn't follow it too closely.  Here's a rough version (was enough for 8 with two side dishes):

Cut the meat from 4 pounds lamb shoulder chops and 1 lamb shank into 1" cubes and brown in a pot (in butter and/or oil).  Remove and brown all the bones.  Remove the bones and soften some chopped onion in the oil, then return meat and bones to pot, cover with water, add 2 teaspoons maybe? ras el hanout (I used this recipe but left out the last 2 ingredients since I didn't have them) and a generous pinch of saffron, and salt, and a garlic clove, and some Marash pepper (or use Aleppo or black or what have you), and a few dried lemons if you have them; cover and simmer until tender.  Remove meat and bones from pot again and add chopped carrots and sweet potato (about 3 medium carrots and the same amount of diced sweet potato, from about 2/3 of a very large one) to the liquid.  While these are cooking, remove any meat from the bones that you can, then discard the bones.  Return the meat to the pot.  Add the minced peel of one preserved lemon (could have used more).  Ten minutes or so before serving, add about 1/2 c each dried apricots (I cut them in half) and prunes.  Correct the seasoning and serve with couscous.  I meant to put in chickpeas but forgot, and anyway I don't think they were needed - though they might work if you wanted a one-dish meal.  Oh yeah, I sprinkled chopped parsley on top.  Probably would have used dill but one of my friends is allergic to it.  Come to think of it, I meant to make a yogurt sauce to go with but forgot that, too.  Oh well, it was kind of a crazy day.

I posted about the rare whiskey in that forum.

fennel salami from Straw, Stick and Brick, a cheese from Firefly, and sourdough from Atwater

rigatoni with lamb ragu [thanks for the recipe, Pat!]

lemon skillet cake with whipped cream

I'm glad that recipe worked for you!

Last night was

Multigrain bread, butter, and avocado

Beer-braised boneless short ribs

Uzbeki carrots

The carrot recipe came from a cookbook by Diana Henry by way of the 101 Cookbooks blog.  In addition to saffron, chilies, and tomatoes, it calls for dried currants and barberries.  I had the currants and substituted dried goji berries for the rest.  It was interesting and perfectly fine, but I'm not as enamored of the recipe as Heidi Swanson is.  It did help me cut down on my stock of Costco carrots, though, and worked well with the beef.

For the beef, I sort of followed a Boulud recipe from Braise, but I didn't have daikon radish or fermented bean paste and substituted button mushrooms for shiitake.  I also used a Stone smoked porter with chipotles in addition to some boxed beef stock for the braising liquid.  It came out quite well.

Blistered shisito peppers
Baked miso - sesame glazed sablefish
Baby arugula with radishes, toasted sesame oil, and rice vinegar

Leftover roasted pearl onions and peas

Yesterday I saw sablefish at Whole Foods, so I bought a piece that was just over 1 lb.  Having never made it before, I went with a similar preparation to something I've done with rockfish a few times, coating it with a miso mixture before baking.  The glaze was brown rice miso, toasted sesame oil, a dollop of light mayo and a few glugs of good beer (a lager from Legend microbrewery that my husband picked up on a recent trip to Williamsburg), mixed to a good spreading consistency.

I served the fish on a platter covered with the baby arugula salad.  It was absolutely delicious and like butter (the butterfish appellation sablefish has is certainly apt).

My husband has loved sablefish that he's gotten at Proof a couple of times, so I took part of my inspiration from their current menu, where they have a miso-glazed sablefish with celery root puree, baby swiss chard, and sesame.  I considered pureeing some cauliflower for this, but the cauliflower I have is already spoken for in another recipe and I had several leftover vegetable dishes to finish up.  Baby arugula for the Swiss chard, and sesame in the form of oil rounded it out.

My husband has loved sablefish that he's gotten at Proof a couple of times, so I took part of my inspiration from their current menu, where they have a miso-glazed sablefish with celery root puree, baby swiss chard, and sesame. ..t.

Me too! Proof's version and my naive confusion about the differences between it and the one at Rasika was the reason I met Mark Kuller several years ago. It was the first post I ever made here and Mark PMed me about the comparative comment I made. Suffice to say, I learned a lot and have enjoyed that dish at Proof a bunch of times since. RIP, Mark Kuller.

http://www.donrockwell.com/index.php?/topic/4086-proof-verizon-center-chef-haidar-karoum-and-gm-michael-james-on-8th-g-street/?p=116749

• Like 1

Because we haven't been able to find any restaurants that make the szechuan eggplant dish we like, we've been experimenting with recipes and have finally found one that is close enough, or perhaps even better, than the original (the garlic eggplant hot pot at China Star of years gone by - if anyone has a recipe for that we'd still take it!!!). Kenji from Serious Eat's Sichuan-style braised eggplant with pickled chilies and garlic is simply fantastic and we keep making it over and over again. When we didn't have the broad bean paste, we substituted in chili-garlic paste and some fish sauce. We've now made it both ways and they're very similar and remarkably good. The original recipe, plus some garlic-sauteed greens and over rice, makes a wonderful vegan meal. We had it last night, and the week before, and the week before...

• Like 1

Last night:

Cheddar cheese biscuits

Leftover braised short ribs

Steamed broccoli

Tuesday night:

Multigrain bread and butter

Watercress, potato and garlic soup
Leftover miso - glazed sablefish
Roasted cabbage with chive mustard vinaigrette
Leftover brown rice, quinoa, and freekeh mix

The roasted cabbage recipe, which was my nod to St. Patrick's Day, came from Eating Well.  I had half a head of cabbage left in the crisper, and that's what this calls for.  It was simple and amazingly good - crispy, sweet, and tangy all at once.  I'll definitely be making that again.

From the WaPo, Ellie Krieger's recipe for a flatbread pizza with broccoli pesto, sun-dried tomato and egg.

I don't post what we've had for dinner, since we get home from work so late that there is rarely time to really prepare anything. Cold cuts, Costco chicken, and the like is our norm.  But this recipe warranted a post!

I was so thrilled to find a pesto recipe that didn't have any garlic and could actually benefit from my allergy alterations-and I was suspicious that it wouldn't taste right, but this was really very good-even Mr. S liked it. He was doubtful as I was, of seeing a pesto without some more of the "standard" pesto ingreditents. I did add some lemon juice to the pesto to brighten it a bit, and would definitely do that again. I also subbed roasted walnut oil for the olive oil, which was also a good choice. I made the pesto last night, and it was quite quick and easy to make for dinner tonight. Definitely will keep this in rotation. And trying to think what else the pesto would be good with, say as an hors d'oeuvre...

Frantic pre-cooking for weekend re-enactment. We have a small group this time, and the venue provides dinner on Saturday night and coffee in the mornings, so it is just two breakfasts and two lunches. I usually do more pre-cooking, including things like early period recipe wafres (pizelles) made stovetop with a cast-iron vintage press, but this week was too crazy so the menu is relatively minimalist.

Sat breakfast:
cheesy bacon onion tart - a version of a Lombardy 15th century tart. The original boils the onions and then cooks them in a pie with eggs and a fresh cheese. I cook up some bacon first, sauté the onions in the bacon grease, and am subbing in some parmesan for some of the cheese. I also "cheat" and use edible modern pastry recipes instead of the period crust recipes which are just flour and water with no fat because the crust was functional rather than particularly edible. This one reheats nicely in a large cast iron pan over a fire.
dried fruits and nuts

Saturday lunch:
roast chicken
bread and cheese
apple tart - early 16th century German recipe using grated apples cooked in butter, then mixed with cheese, eggs, and spices, then baked. This one is experimental.

Saturday after provided dinner: a large fire and a variety of beverages. I am contributing several fruit cordials from last summer's pyo fruit collection.

Sun breakfast:
sausages
bread & cheese

Sun lunch
meatballs - these are wacky little things, spiced pork meatballs with chopped up hard boiled egg yolks in the center, a 15th century Portuguese recipe. I've precooked and frozen them, and they will be reheated on-site with a beef broth and chopped parsley and green onions.

salad of spring greens - these would include more herbs than we use now, like basil, tarragon, sage, rosemary, and violets. With oil & vinegar *

deviled eggs - the period deviled egg recipes are really not that far off from modern recipes, except the deviled eggs are fried in butter after being assembled.  We'll see how that goes, but it sounds like a plan to me.

* a translation of the original recipe says "You English are even worse, after washing the salad heaven knows how, you put the vinegar in the dish first, and enough of that for a foot bath for Morgante, and serve it up, unstirred with neither oil nor salt, which you are supposed to add at table. By this time some of the leaves are so saturated with vinegar that they cannot take the oil, while the rest are quite naked and fit only for chicken food."

http://www.greneboke.com/recipes/greensalad.shtml

Since we are doing an English encampment, I guess I'll be using a lot of vinegar!

• Like 1

Last night was sous vide turkey drumsticks finished under the broiler and a stir-fry of tofu, snow peas, broccoli, onion, mushrooms, and shirataki noodles.  Intending on the stir-fry to accompany, I packaged the drumsticks with some 5 spice powder, crushed Szechuan peppercorns, and toasted sesame oil.  I didn't use enough for it to come through appreciably in the final product, though.  I never seem to get the seasoning right with the sous vide preparations.

Mixed green salad with roasted beets, queso fresco, bacon, radishes, and gigande beans; vinaigrette

Paprika-spiced cauliflower soup
Leftover veal piccata
Roasted cauliflower and butternut squash
Brussels sprouts pan-roasted in bacon fat

- Delmonico steak seared in cast iron, finished in the oven to medium rare and served with sautéed onion and mixed wild mushrooms

- Crispy mixed-potato kimchee hash (also slow cooked in bacon fat)

- Sunday farmers market salad with fresh wild mushroom, torn bibb lettuce, red onion, chopped olives and a creamy garlic vinaigrette

- Leftover Malbec

- slices of airily light cake with blood orange cream from Patisserie Poupon

• Like 1

Last night's steak was much more than we could eat for one dinner by design. Tonight, again the same strategy with what I'l call a "named" dinner.  All to enable dinners rest of week.

- Patrick O'Connell's 24-hour brined roast chicken with chopped celery, onion and carrot

- RJ Cooper's orange honey carrots

- Saffron rice

- Mark Furstenberg's wonderful levain

- JK Carriere (2012) "Shea" Pinot Noir

Mixed green salad with roasted beets, goat cheese, bacon, radishes, and gigande beans; vinaigrette

Leftover pork tenderloin, potatoes, and green beans
Twice-baked spaghetti squash and cheese

Leftover paprika cauliflower soup

Leftover stir-fry with leftover pork tenderloin and whole wheat orzo
Leftover twice-baked spaghetti squash and cheese with whole wheat orzo

Due to a bit of bubbleheadness, when I made the original stuffed spaghetti squash, I halved the amount of squash but made the full amount of cheese sauce.  It was good but clearly out of proportion.  So I boiled up some whole wheat orzo as a filler to mix in with the squash and sauce when reheating.  It worked for my purposes, but I made too much, so I threw the rest of the cooked orzo in with the stir-fry I also reheated.

My husband, who doesn't really care all that much for spaghetti squash, really likes the cheesy version.

I made the Kale Mac and Cheese that was an homage to Woodberry Kitchen from Food52 last night.  It is really good.  I used kale, but I also had some defrosted zucchini that had been par boiled and froze last year that I tossed in the food processor then added to the mix.  I used gluten free macaroni, cabot cheese and LF milk.  It was kind of wonderful to eat mac and cheese without getting sick, and to not feel completely guilty about it because it has veggies.  We ate it with the last of our pepper encrusted salami.

Flying Fox Petit Verdot 2007

Fortified some leftover, meatless (but kimchee-ified) hash with browned cubes of baked ham. Topped with poached eggs and a little hot sauce. A simple salad just with bibb lettuce, red onion, cherry tomatoes and a lemon reggiano vinaigrette. Good for a rainy, cool night.

Oh, and chocolate milkshakes for dessert.

Salad of red leaf lettuce, radishes, cucumber, emmenthal cheese, black olives, snow peas and sliced salami; ranch dressing

Herb-roasted chicken, potatoes, carrots, and onions

I put an herb butter with dill, tarragon, and parsley under the skin of the chicken before it went into the oven and lemon and onion in the cavity.  I had a much easier time getting the butter uniformly under the skin than I usually do.

Salad of red leaf lettuce, radishes, cucumber, emmenthal cheese, black olives, snow peas and sliced salami; ranch dressing

Herb-roasted chicken, potatoes, carrots, and onions

I put an herb butter with dill, tarragon, and parsley under the skin of the chicken before it went into the oven and lemon and onion in the cavity.  I had a much easier time getting the butter uniformly under the skin than I usually do.

I've used this method also; of stuffing an herb butter between the skin and bird.  I think originally inspired by a recipe on Food52.  This and brining are probably my two favorite methods for roasting a whole chicken.  I've never used both for the same bird though and now wondering if that might get me to 80 or 85% of the Frank Ruta chicken, accepting it as an impossibility of every getting higher than that.  Do you or others have any experience brining and herb-butter stuffing?  If so, is it worthwhile or overkill?

Impromptu Dinner with neighbors

Olives

Salad of romaine, shredded red cabbage, sprouts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, basic viniagrette

Orecchiette with italian sausage (chicken), tomato, greens, onion, garlic, red wine, finished with parmesean

Really easy and tasty for something thrown together at the last minute!

• Like 1

Do you or others have any experience brining and herb-butter stuffing?  If so, is it worthwhile or overkill?

I don't usually brine chicken so haven't tried both.

Last night:

Broccoli, carrots, celery, and red bell pepper with green goddess dip and hummus

Leftover cheesy twice-baked spaghetti squash with whole wheat orzo
Baked cheese ravioli in tomato-basil sauce with fresh mozzarella and Parmesan
Roasted beets layered with fresh mozzarella; balsamic vinaigrette

I had a couple of balls of fresh mozzarella left that were several days past their "best by" date, so they got used two ways.  Perhaps the abundance of vegetables helped balance out the mountain of cheese :ph34r: .

Recently, a friend revealed that he is having a recurrence of leukemia that had long been in remission. I saw him a few days before he was to embark on an experimental treatment at NIH. I promised to cook something for him when I returned from a brief trip up to my new house in Maine. When I asked what he wanted/would be able to eat during the treatment, he said that whatever I wanted to cook was what he wanted to eat.

I was thinking comfort food, and since he and his wife are former Texans, I decided to make posole verde for him. I made it yesterday, using pork shoulder and pork ribs from Whole Foods. (The shoulder they sell is boneless, and it is just better when it has been cooked with some bones, so I bought a few ribs to cook in the pot.) I used homemade chicken stock, and the same kind of mote corn that they use at Taco Bamba in their posole, which I soaked overnight and then pressure cooked for 35 minutes before adding it to the pork, roasted poblanos, tomatillos and aromatics. It cooked for several hours, and J and I had some for dinner last night.

I had communicated with my friend's wife about the best time to bring it over, and she asked if I could come this morning and plan to have breakfast with them. J came with me, and when we arrived, my friend was full of energy (I expected him to be weak and ill from chemo) and in great spirits. The experimental treatment he is undergoing has recently gotten a lot of press, because it is revolutionary and has resulted in quick remission--eradication of the cancer, actually-- with few side effects in almost every one of the less than a dozen people who have undergone it. He just happened to have the exact type of leukemia that has responded so quickly to this new type of treatment that targets the cancer cells.

It seemed ironic that I had cooked for someone I thought of as sick, and he was bustling around, preparing breakfast for me. The posole was heated up and served along with scrambled egg and potato tacos, home made bacon, and fruit salad. Also there for breakfast was another friend, formerly from Austin, who was visiting from Baltimore. She was excited, because she hadn't had posole verde in years.

Well, suffice it to say that my food was savored, exclaimed over and greatly appreciated. Which feels nice, because while J told me it was tasty last night, he eats it frequently, so it isn't that special for him. But it made my friend happy, and he is convinced that food cooked for him with love is curative. And there was a lot left over for him to have more.

• Like 7

the other night, farro and roasted red bell pepper salad and Moroccan carrot salad (both recipes from Plenty)

leftover chocolate cake with caramel icing

My brother had come over earlier to help with a project, and I realized I had just enough time to crank out his favorite dessert, which he had every year for his birthday, until our mother died.  The "caramel" icing is really more like penuche, and the recipe comes from the 1957 edition of The Gourmet Cookbook, vol 2.  I sent a big piece home with him and kept enough for Mr. P and I to have for dessert later.  Neither bro or I are particularly demonstrative people, but he was so tickled he actually used the phrase "I love you, sis" in a thank you note (via facebook of course, since this is the 21st century).  Nothing makes me happy like making the people I care for happy, especially via the kitchen.

• Like 4

Padang Curry with Cod (Gulai <whatever the Sumatra word for cod might be>...do they even eat cod in Sumatra?  It was cheap at Giant so I went with it)

Stir fried bean sprouts, garlic, kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), regular soy sauce

Malay cabbage with ginger and coconut

Padang Curry with Cod (Gulai <whatever the Sumatra word for cod might be>...do they even eat cod in Sumatra?  It was cheap at Giant so I went with it)

Stir fried bean sprouts, garlic, kecap manis (sweet soy sauce), regular soy sauce

Malay cabbage with ginger and coconut

Maybe this kind of cod? :)  There's a very famous dive spot off the NW coast of Australia where these guys congregate.  Not endangered and very gregarious.