Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Last night:

Scrambled eggs

Roasted poblanos stuffed with cheddar, mozzarella, and quinoa
Roasted cauliflower with Japanese 7 spice seasoning
Mixed berry, rhubarb, and apple pie

Long time no posting - Last week we at at Los Cuates   (http://www.loscuatesrestaurant.com/) on King Street in Old Town.

We have been on very restricted doctor controlled diet January - last week and thus not eating out except a few steak places and stayed off the board as it was just to tempting - Diet (Ideal Protein) was a success we lost 87 pounds between the two of us and more important my blood sugar numbers are normal.

But once done we had to choose where to eat - and I knew that Mexican food was going to win out as the idea of cheese and carbs combined was the thing I missed the most -  I had the Seafood Burrito Veracruz and he had steak tacos, we split a guacamole  it was wonderful - even on Cinco de Mayo we only had a 15 minute wait cause they were being great about extra staff and getting food to table quickly.

Baked ziti was last night's featured presentation.  I thought about a salad, but found that my lettuce had frozen :angry: .  There was spinach in the ziti, though, for a green vegetable.

We made these veal roulades of a sort.

Roll some pounded out veal that has been lined with thin prosciutto and a nice nubbin of fresh mozzarella (and pepper), up like a crescent roll. Pinch the ends shut with toothpicks. Then take two skewers and jam the roll on to it and move it down. Take some 1/4 inch or less pancetta half rounds and jam them on the skewers next. Then repeat with the veal, pancetta, veal and pancetta. Do this again for another set of skewers. Do this to have at least one set of full skewers per person. Grill these on a medium to medium high grill, flipping regularly and basting regularly with olive oil, for twenty minutes or so (depending on how rare you want things, and how runny you want your cheese. We served it with an arugula salad and a nice toscano rosso (not the bestest pairing, but it worked). Not my best work, but still quite tasty.

Guacamole and tortilla chips

Salad of romaine, radicchio, Belgian endive, radishes, mushrooms, avocado, nicoise olives, and shredded cheddar cheese; shiitake-sesame vinaigrette
Leftover baked ziti

We're making goat cheese ice cream with cognac boozed fig 'topping' to go with to finish up some Ottoleghi-an lamb chops paired with a carrot with crispy chick pea salad. We'll see how the ice cream turns out (it is a Jeni's recipe - the gold standard).

• Like 2

Dinner: kimchi pancake and the last of the leftover chard-goat cheese-bacon pizza.

Currently cooking for weekend lunches:

Chard, roasted sweet potatoes, and quinoa with a lemon-garlic-balsamic dressing.  I am tempted to drink the entire bowl of dressing as is, but I guess that would be a bad idea....

Was in Atlanta yesterday, and happened to be at the fish counter (huge) at Buford Highway Farmers Market just as they were putting out some red snappers, so beautiful, so fresh.  I couldn't resist, so brought home a 3+ pounder in ice.  This evening I improvised a poacher/steamer in the largest roasting pan I own using lots of foil.  Poached/steamed it on the stovetop.  Included some onions, tomatoes, potatoes, savoy cabbage, and corn on the cob right in the poacher.  Made a butter sauce with shallots and garlic and some herbs.  So good!

• Like 1

Salt-grilled salmon

Ingen no kurogoma-ae: green beans boiled until crisp-tender; tossed with a dressing of freshly ground black sesame, soy sauce, and mirin

Hiyayakko tofu: chilled extra-firm tofu served with soy sauce, minced chives, grated ginger, hachimitsu umeboshi (honey pickled plum) paste, and benishouga (red pickled ginger)

Steamed hitomebore rice

lamb tbones marinated in red wine, olive oil, honey, garlic and oregano, finished on the grill

An Ottolenghi recipi involving mushroom caps doen in a bath in the oven, then topped with cooked pearled barley finished with feta, preserved lemon, thyme and parsely

And a cheap bottle of Spanish garnacha (Borsao, current vintage if you must know - $8 and drinks like a $15 bottle).

Turkey and veggie* kabobs

Whole wheat pita bread and hummus
Grilled chicken legs
Grilled porterhouse steak
Grilled fingerling potatoes

*bell pepper, onion, cherry tomatoes, zucchini

Salad of frisee, radicchio, radishes, cucumber, avocado, and bacon; miso-ginger vinaigrette

Grilled spatchcocked chicken

Grilled fingerling potatoes, rolled in bacon fat and chopped tarragon

I used my special secret all-purpose dry rub (never-ending supply) on the chicken.  Wow, that was good.

Last night, I hosted a birthday party for my mom for about 20 people. The challenge was that she wanted it on my roof, which was not reservable and required everything to be brought on trays up the elevator in real time. Plus no room for plates, so it all had to be finger food. And there was only enough table space for two trays at a time. So I made the dinner into several courses, switching trays periodically. I also had only 1 day to prepare.

Nuts, olives, wild boar sausage and chorizo

Smoked salmon and salmon roe dip, with crudités and grilled crostini

Cucumber slices topped with goat cheese, basil, and roasted red pepper

Cherry tomatoes stuffed with blue cheese and bacon

Roasted shrimp cocktail

Grilled pork with rhubarb chutney, served with bacon and thyme Parker rolls

Cheese plate with apricots and green tomato jam

Lemon bars

Jeff brought up a cooler of various wines and pre-batched Mayfairs and Manhattans.

And tonight, we are having a more casual party, serving all the leftovers.

• Like 3

Two nights ago I made this golden beet pasta, which was really good.  I added some chicken, as I thought MK might not be totally thrilled with just a beet and beet green pasta.  http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/farfalle-with-golden-beets-beet-greens-and-pine-nuts-351260

I made this for the first time in Feb 2009.  We loved it!  I didn't add a protein, but did increase the greens by quite a bit.  Didn't feel the need to add the pasta water as it was already plenty moist.  I've made it a number of times since, whenever I find really fresh beet greens -- sometimes I sub mustard greens if I can't find beet greens.  So glad you enjoyed it!

Leftover sweet potato corn chowder

Leftover broccoli and cauliflower cheese casserole

Meatloaf wrapped in bacon

I usually use a mix of ground veal/pork/beef for meatloaf but yesterday I bought the mix they have at Union Meats, which is all beef.  I think it was sirloin, brisket, and short rib, but I'm not sure.  They had just ground it right before I got there.  It made for a great meatloaf, really nice taste and texture and just the right amount of fat.  I didn't miss the pork in the meatloaf; the bacon on top sufficed  <_< .

I made this for the first time in Feb 2009.  We loved it!  I didn't add a protein, but did increase the greens by quite a bit.  Didn't feel the need to add the pasta water as it was already plenty moist.  I've made it a number of times since, whenever I find really fresh beet greens -- sometimes I sub mustard greens if I can't find beet greens.  So glad you enjoyed it!  

Not that there's anything wrong with mustard greens (I love them), but a closer approximation to beet greens would be chard, which is in the same family as beets and spinach.

I found some sorrel at the Watkins school market (New Morning Farm) on Wednesday, so yesterday I utilized it in a recipe from Melissa Clark at the NY Times.

The menu:

Seared sea scallops with sorrel butter

Wild rice
Corn on the cob

Last night I made a sub with cold thin sliced roasted pork, white cheddar, bacon and some lightly dressed shredded lettuce.  It was pretty darn good.  Amazing how much better lettuce tastes on a sandwich when I shred and dress it right before I add it to my sandwich, instead of just putting leaves of lettuce on and dressing.

• Like 1

Last night we grilled outside:

T-bone steak

Chicken drumsticks

Beer brats

Baked potatoes

Also:  Baby arugula salad with sliced strawberries and shaved Pecorino; balsamic vinaigrette

I cooked the brats sous vide for about 1 1/4 hours inside and then finished them on the grill.  They were fantastic!  To start, I sautéed about half of a sweet onion, sliced very thin, and several minced cloves of garlic and thyme.  Once that cooled, it got mixed with about 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard and a glug of beer, and that all went into a bag with the brats to be vacuum-sealed and cooked at 144F.  I cooked the onion mixture a little longer on the stove while the brats were finishing outside, just to make sure everything got cooked to a safe temperature.  Will totally do this again.

• Like 1

Guacamole and tortilla chips

Leftover steak over salad; butter lettuce, tomato, avocado, and feta; buttermilk ranch dressing
Whole wheat pita bread
Leftover wild rice with added currants and toasted walnuts

Last night was chilled radish soup, asparagus salad, and egg salad sandwiches on onion-dill-rye toast.  The asparagus was steamed and dressed with vinaigrette, topped with crumbled bacon and toasted walnuts.  For the soup I followed a Joe Yonan recipe from The Post but deviated somewhat in the garnishes.  I topped the soup with sliced radishes and cucumber and toasted walnut bits.  (There are also walnuts in the soup.)  The nuts sank down into the soup, though, which I should have expected.  A good meal for a very hot day/night.

Chicken milanese with an arugula and red onion salad

The arugula came from my garden - it's wasabi arugula, so it has a really horseradish-y kick to it.  The sweetness of the red onions balanced it out a bit; I don't think I'd be able to take the wasabi arugula "straight up."  Hubby loves it, though!

Barbecued chicken (bone-in, skin-on thighs and legs) with a quick but very tasty homemade sauce

My favorite Jean-Georges recipe - roasted corn with manchego and lime (with chives and jalapenos from the garden)

A perfect summer meal - would have been better with a cold beer, but alas, we are trying to only drink 1-2 days a week.

Sunday's neighbor cookout:

Baby back ribs and pork chops brined in beer, sauced with a doctored bottled sauce.

Green beans with huge amounts of roasted garlic

Corn on the cob

Roasted tiny red, white and purple potatoes

Salad of avocado on shredded romaine with lime viniagrette

Last night was crockpot pulled pork sandwiches topped with cole slaw and peach-tarragon salsa on the side, plus some doctored canned baked beans.  I had a peach that had developed a bad spot and figured I needed to use it quickly, so I cut it up for salsa.  It was delicious with some chopped tarragon, the juice of half a lime, and a little rice wine vinegar.  Fruit with pork is always good.  I impressed myself with this meal ;) .

The buns I used for the sandwiches were whole wheat slider buns from Vermont Bread Company.  I picked them up thinking they were regular whole wheat buns, then saw the bag said "slider."  These have to be the biggest slider buns I've ever seen.  They were about 90% of the size of regular burger buns. We didn't need excess bread, so that was fine.  The labeling was odd, though.

Leftover soup- chicken thighs adobo, cooked in the instant pot, black eyed peas, & stir fry of mushrooms, green beans, ground pork, water chestnuts, scallions, garlic w/ black soy, fish sauce & sambal- I LOVE black eyed peas.

Last night was crock pot lamb shanks, smashed baby red potatoes with boursin and creme fraiche, and a romaine - tomato - cucumber salad with feta and champagne caper vinaigrette.

Saturday we grilled outside:  chicken drumsticks and bone-in ribeye steak, plus leftover baked beans, corn on the cob, and romaine salad.

Last week:

I did chicken in the crock pot with a rogan josh sauce (I know this isn't typically made with chicken) but it turned out well.  Sauteed carrots, zucchini and green peppers on the stove, then added the sauce from the crock pot to reduce it.  Served over rice mixed with peas.  So I ended up sneaking quite a bit of veggie into the dish.

Night before was pesto on pasta with oven roasted green onion, zucchini, carrot, green pepper. I tossed some shrimp on at the last minute.

Monday night was leftover chicken drumsticks and avocado halves stuffed with crab, quinoa, and marinated gigande beans and topped with edible flowers.

The avocado preparation was inspired by a demo I saw at the Folklife Festival, but instead of slicing the avocado and creating a shell around the filling, I took the easy route and filled/topped the avocado with the other components.  I hadn't wanted to shell out money for jumbo lump crabmeat, but the back fin blue crabmeat I bought was more than adequate.  It was pretty sweet.  I dressed it simply with lemon, lime, and lime zest.

Last night was pulled pork nachos.  Seemed appropriate for All-Star game night.

Last night featured a number of farmer's market ingredients:

Squash blossoms stuffed with chicken salad (fresh apricots, dried currants, celery, hot pepper, scallions, and tarragon)

Quinoa-lentil-chickpea burgers with lettuce and tomato on whole wheat slider buns
Leftover corn on the cob
Steamed green beans with toasted walnuts and walnut oil

Thursday:
Romaine salad with sungold tomatoes, cucumber, and croutons; champagne-caper vinaigrette
Roasted herbed chicken, carrots, onion, and potatoes
Corn on the cob

Wednesday:
Romaine salad with sungold tomatoes, cucumber, and croutons; champagne-caper vinaigrette
Lamb pastitsio

The pastitsio was made with the leftover meat from lamb shanks and the leftover tomato vegetable sauce, plus a béchamel with added egg, and Parmesan and feta cheeses.  Penne for the pasta.  I had made the full amount of sauce but only half the number of shanks, so it was good to have a lamb-y use for the excess sauce.  Then my husband took those leftovers for a couple of work lunches.

Sunday night:

Spinach vichyssoise

Cheddar chive cornmeal pancakes with Greek yogurt

The pancakes were much better than I expected.  Well, I expected them to be good or I wouldn't have made them, but they exceeded expectations.  Will make again.  The recipe came from one of my favorite blogs and was adapted from the book Yogurt Culture, which I'm thinking looks like it's worth checking out.

Last night:
Wild Coho salmon ceviche with tomato, and avocado
Refried bean dip
Tortilla chips (house made at Tortilla Cafe) for ceviche and dip
Leftover quinoa-lentil-chickpea burgers with baby arugula and tomato on whole wheat sesame buns

I did not want to heat the kitchen last night. At all. The only heating was a brief time in the microwave to warm the burgers.  The salmon was $9.99/lb. at Whole Foods and I had the urge to make ceviche.  I didn't want to make a huge amount, so I only bought about 1/2 pound.  The man at the counter said they had gotten the salmon in the night before.

It came out great:  Juice of 3 limes and some zest, chopped cilantro, and minced hot pepper for the basic mixture, and then chopped tomatoes, avocado, black pepper, and a dash of white balsamic vinegar mixed in before serving.  The chips were great for scooping up the fish mixture.  I let the salmon sit in the liquid in the refrigerator about 5 or so hours, stirring occasionally.

I made turkey burgers on the grill. I used very lean ground turkey, and the burgers were too soft (I added an egg, grated onion, seasonings, breadcrumbs and some homemade BBQ sauce to the meat). I don't know if I added too much wet stuff, or if the super lean is just too lean to hold together...I love burgers and like the relatively low-fat turkey alternative, but I have to work on this. Maybe half very lean turkey and half lean beef?

I made turkey burgers on the grill. I used very lean ground turkey, and the burgers were too soft (I added an egg, grated onion, seasonings, breadcrumbs and some homemade BBQ sauce to the meat). I don't know if I added too much wet stuff, or if the super lean is just too lean to hold together...I love burgers and like the relatively low-fat turkey alternative, but I have to work on this. Maybe half very lean turkey and half lean beef?

I made turkey burgers last night too, inside on a grill pan.  I usually use a mix of light and dark meat when I make something like that with chicken or turkey, but Whole Foods only had ground turkey breast meat, so I just went with that.  The only moisture I added to the 1 1/2 lbs. meat was an egg plus a small amount of mustard, and the mixture was quite wet and sloppy to work with.  Since I was prepping the burger meat ahead of time to cook as soon as I got home from a meeting, these sat on a plate in the refrigerator for 3 1/2+ hours before cooking.  When I went to add them to the pan, they were still wet but easier to handle than before, and I had no trouble with them falling apart while they cooked.

So, I might have stumbled onto a remedy for that problem.  Or it could be coincidence somehow and wishful thinking.

Usually when I want to add a little extra fat to white meat poultry, I use some ground pork.  That usually works well.

• Like 1