10107 replies to this topic

#10101 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:13 AM

Last night was roast pork tenderloin rubbed with spices, garlic and olive oil, roasted with summer squash, carrots, corn and a small baked potato.

Night before I made linguine with meat sauce, I used a brand of gf pasta I love from the Italian Store, and the Hubby didn't notice is was gf AND went on and on about how good the pasta was.

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea. The Shins
www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#10102 dcandohio

dcandohio

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:39 AM

Blistered shishito peppers with salt and ponzu
Salad of shredded kale, quinoa, macadamia nuts and dried fruit
Green zucchini, yellow zucchini, yellow crook neck squash and red potatoes layered in a pan over sautéed onions and garlic, covered with a chopped tomato and a bit of parmesean cheese, baked.
Grilled London broil, marinated in red wine, soy sauce, pomegranate balsamic vinegar, garlic, Rosemary, frank's hot sauce

We enjoyed this on a beautiful, warm evening with the sound track courtesy of the Sirius 70's station. There might have been singing...

Shut up and pour another glass of wine, please.

#10103 Sundae in the Park

Sundae in the Park

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:31 PM

We can't stop eating zucchini/squash fritters...

#10104 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,595 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:54 PM

Blistered shishito peppers with salt and ponzu

My husband made some of these on the grill Saturday night.  Usually I do them on a cast iron pan inside.  The grill worked great.  

We had them with smoked Maldon sea salt (for him) and garlic hummus and others just plain. He threw some pita rounds on the grill briefly, which we had with some more of the hummus.  He also grilled some delicious chicken breasts, sprinkled with a poultry seasoning he brought back from Schwartz's in Montreal and then finished with bbq sauce.  Also on the menu:  buttered corn on the cob and orzo pesto salad with green beans, tomatoes, and olives.

I've been trying to heat the kitchen as little as possible, so we've been eating lots of salads, cold soup, and quickly microwaved leftovers to stretch the food I am cooking.  A few nights ago, I even, for the first time in ages, reprised the microwave dish I made often when our kitchen was being renovated a decade ago:  Microwaved chicken thighs with pickled ginger, garlic, and baby spinach.  I steam-roasted some garlic in the microwave for that.

#10105 The Delicious

The Delicious

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:36 PM

Who doesn't like fresh tomatoes? So, we bought a bunch of sun gold grape-sized tomatoes at the Falls Church market on Saturday with no real plan for what to do with them. Maybe it was divine intervention, but later that day, the wife came across a recipe in Bon Appetit that called for a pint+ of fresh sun gold grape-sized tomatoes. It was a recipe for Black Cod, which we found at the McLean Organic Butcher for an ungodly price. Lo tho did heaven and hell clash in our oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees, what we beheld was nothing short of a miracle re-birth; the cod had transformed into something beautiful. We ate it, and it was (really fucking) good.

• DaveO likes this

#10106 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,595 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:07 AM

Monday night:

Salad of baby spinach and baby arugula, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, red onion, and bacon; miso-ginger vinaigrette

Cheddar scallion biscuits [Spring Mill Bread Co.] with scallion butter
Leftover shisito peppers
Leftover grilled bbq chicken breast and spaghetti

Last night:
Salad of baby spinach and baby arugula, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, red onion, and bacon, topped with sliced grilled bbq chicken breast; champagne-caper vinaigrette
Cheddar scallion biscuits with scallion butter
Green bean gratin topped with gruyere and buttered bread crumbs

The cheddar-scallion biscuits from the Barracks Row Spring Mill Bread Co. are fantastic.  A friend mentioned them to me a couple of months ago, saying that they are so popular that if you go too late in the day, they'll be sold out.  They make the biscuits there.  The first time I bought one, the man working the register said that he's the person who makes them. I'm not sure if the opening of Bayou Bakery and availability of their biscuits has cut into sales of these or not.

I bought two biscuits on Monday, and they are so big, we only ate one between us.  So, we had a repeat performance last night.  I found myself with a lot of excess scallions, so making a scallion butter seemed like a good plan for an accompaniment.

The green bean gratin was based on something I saw mentioned on another message board.  Based on the photo that accompanied the message, I baked these in individual round Le Creuset gratin dishes big enough to hold the whole trimmed beans.  I made a small batch of béchamel for the bottoms of the dishes and laid crisp-steamed beans down in the sauce. Then I grated gruyere over the top, sprinkled with bread crumbs and dotted with butter.  I put the pans in a 375 oven for a maybe 15 minutes, then turned on the broiler to finish them.  Really good but probably better for cooler weather.

#10107 JoshNE

JoshNE

Member: H Street Overlords

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:03 PM

Back to back dinners made great with the seafood from Fiona at District Fishwife.

Last night was seared tuna over cranberry beans with basil/walnut pesto, and a sweet pepper/shallot salad with citrus peppercorn vinegar.

Tonight was tacos with fantastically fresh and sweet red shrimp from Connecticut.  Boiled in a bastardized version of the shrimp boil seasoning from the Lee Brother's first cookbook, plus some leftover Sauvignon Blanc.  Served on corn tortillas with cabbage, radishes, sour cream, and chunky guacamole.  A side of quickly sautéed summer squash with oregano and Esplette pepper.

#10108 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,595 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:37 AM

Wednesday night:

Heirloom tomato salad plate

Broiled cod with scallion butter

Leftover vegetable mix (green beans, arugula, spinach, red onion, tomato) in leftover béchamel sauce, plated alongside/over the cod

Steamed broccoli with hot pepper sesame oil

My salad plate had blue cheese to accompany.  My husband, who doesn't like blue cheese, got cottage cheese and wheat thins. 

The cod was from Yes!  It seemed quite fresh.  A friend had told me their fish was good, but this is the first I'd tried it.  I find the fish at Eastern Market unreliable and don't get to Union Market much, so it's good to have a reliable source to pick up fish a piece of when I'm not making a Whole Foods run.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users