Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Last night was roast pork tenderloin rubbed with spices, garlic and olive oil, roasted with summer squash, carrots, corn and a small baked potato.

Night before I made linguine with meat sauce, I used a brand of gf pasta I love from the Italian Store, and the Hubby didn't notice is was gf AND went on and on about how good the pasta was.

Blistered shishito peppers with salt and ponzu

Salad of shredded kale, quinoa, macadamia nuts and dried fruit

Green zucchini, yellow zucchini, yellow crook neck squash and red potatoes layered in a pan over sautéed onions and garlic, covered with a chopped tomato and a bit of parmesean cheese, baked.

Grilled London broil, marinated in red wine, soy sauce, pomegranate balsamic vinegar, garlic, Rosemary, frank's hot sauce

We enjoyed this on a beautiful, warm evening with the sound track courtesy of the Sirius 70's station. There might have been singing...

Blistered shishito peppers with salt and ponzu

My husband made some of these on the grill Saturday night.  Usually I do them on a cast iron pan inside.  The grill worked great.

We had them with smoked Maldon sea salt (for him) and garlic hummus and others just plain. He threw some pita rounds on the grill briefly, which we had with some more of the hummus.  He also grilled some delicious chicken breasts, sprinkled with a poultry seasoning he brought back from Schwartz's in Montreal and then finished with bbq sauce.  Also on the menu:  buttered corn on the cob and orzo pesto salad with green beans, tomatoes, and olives.

I've been trying to heat the kitchen as little as possible, so we've been eating lots of salads, cold soup, and quickly microwaved leftovers to stretch the food I am cooking.  A few nights ago, I even, for the first time in ages, reprised the microwave dish I made often when our kitchen was being renovated a decade ago:  Microwaved chicken thighs with pickled ginger, garlic, and baby spinach.  I steam-roasted some garlic in the microwave for that.

Who doesn't like fresh tomatoes? So, we bought a bunch of sun gold grape-sized tomatoes at the Falls Church market on Saturday with no real plan for what to do with them. Maybe it was divine intervention, but later that day, the wife came across a recipe in Bon Appetit that called for a pint+ of fresh sun gold grape-sized tomatoes. It was a recipe for Black Cod, which we found at the McLean Organic Butcher for an ungodly price. Lo tho did heaven and hell clash in our oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees, what we beheld was nothing short of a miracle re-birth; the cod had transformed into something beautiful. We ate it, and it was (really fucking) good.

• Like 2

Monday night:

Salad of baby spinach and baby arugula, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, red onion, and bacon; miso-ginger vinaigrette

Cheddar scallion biscuits [spring Mill Bread Co.] with scallion butter
Leftover shisito peppers
Leftover grilled bbq chicken breast and spaghetti

Last night:
Salad of baby spinach and baby arugula, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, red onion, and bacon, topped with sliced grilled bbq chicken breast; champagne-caper vinaigrette
Cheddar scallion biscuits with scallion butter
Green bean gratin topped with gruyere and buttered bread crumbs

The cheddar-scallion biscuits from the Barracks Row Spring Mill Bread Co. are fantastic.  A friend mentioned them to me a couple of months ago, saying that they are so popular that if you go too late in the day, they'll be sold out.  They make the biscuits there.  The first time I bought one, the man working the register said that he's the person who makes them. I'm not sure if the opening of Bayou Bakery and availability of their biscuits has cut into sales of these or not.

I bought two biscuits on Monday, and they are so big, we only ate one between us.  So, we had a repeat performance last night.  I found myself with a lot of excess scallions, so making a scallion butter seemed like a good plan for an accompaniment.

The green bean gratin was based on something I saw mentioned on another message board.  Based on the photo that accompanied the message, I baked these in individual round Le Creuset gratin dishes big enough to hold the whole trimmed beans.  I made a small batch of béchamel for the bottoms of the dishes and laid crisp-steamed beans down in the sauce. Then I grated gruyere over the top, sprinkled with bread crumbs and dotted with butter.  I put the pans in a 375 oven for a maybe 15 minutes, then turned on the broiler to finish them.  Really good but probably better for cooler weather.

Back to back dinners made great with the seafood from Fiona at District Fishwife.

Last night was seared tuna over cranberry beans with basil/walnut pesto, and a sweet pepper/shallot salad with citrus peppercorn vinegar.

Tonight was tacos with fantastically fresh and sweet red shrimp from Connecticut.  Boiled in a bastardized version of the shrimp boil seasoning from the Lee Brother's first cookbook, plus some leftover Sauvignon Blanc.  Served on corn tortillas with cabbage, radishes, sour cream, and chunky guacamole.  A side of quickly sautéed summer squash with oregano and Esplette pepper.

Wednesday night:

Heirloom tomato salad plate

Broiled cod with scallion butter

Leftover vegetable mix (green beans, arugula, spinach, red onion, tomato) in leftover béchamel sauce, plated alongside/over the cod

Steamed broccoli with hot pepper sesame oil

My salad plate had blue cheese to accompany.  My husband, who doesn't like blue cheese, got cottage cheese and wheat thins.

The cod was from Yes!  It seemed quite fresh.  A friend had told me their fish was good, but this is the first I'd tried it.  I find the fish at Eastern Market unreliable and don't get to Union Market much, so it's good to have a reliable source to pick up a piece of fish when I'm not making a Whole Foods run.

Saturday was Thai curry day in the silentbob/erin79 house:

Wegman's had a piece of D'Artagnan duck breast on special (had reached the sell-by date, so 50% off regular price), which I sous-vided at 135 degrees for 90 minutes, then finished in a pan skin-side down for four minutes and the other side for one more.  Sliced and put into a red curry with pineapple chunks and sliced cherry tomatoes.  Paired with a 2012 Jemrose Viognier, Egret Pond Vineyard.

For dinner, I sous-vided skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs at 165 degrees for 90 minutes, then finished skin-side down in the pan for five minutes after chilling the bag of meat in an ice bath.  Put the chicken chunks in a green curry with carrots, scallions, and cherry tomatoes.

Must make sauce with the leftover chicken fat...

Sunday:

Sardine rillettes and Carr's water crackers with cracked black pepper

Yogurt Soup With Summer Vegetables, Herbs and Feta
Salad topped with grilled steak (romaine, tomato, cucumber, radish, artichoke hearts; red wine vinaigrette)

The rillettes came from a recipe in David Lebovitz's My Paris Kitchen.  Easy to make from ingredients I had already on hand and really delicious.  I halved the recipe.  Link here from Google Books.  The cold buttermilk - yogurt soup was an Ellie Krieger recipe from the Post website and was also quite good.  I used chives, since I had a lot, instead of the dill called for, and full-fat buttermilk.  I served the feta on the side at the table for adding instead of combining it with the other ingredients.

Monday:
Leftovers of the steak salad
Cheddar cornmeal-chive pancakes with yogurt
Bruleed cantaloupe with pistachio gelato

The pancakes came out so well the first time I made them, I made them again last night.  Love this recipe.  (I posted a link to it the last time I made it.)

The bruleed melon idea I found posted on another message board.  I sprinkled some demerara sugar over chunks of cantaloupe (from Southern MD, bought outside at Eastern Market over the weekend) and ran it under the broiler.  I think I didn't have the broiler heated enough when I started, because it took a while to melt any sugar, and the melon didn't brown much.  I hope it's not a problem with the broiler.  I don't want to deal with any more oven problems...

Using my small cookie scoop, I scooped a ball of gelato into the cavities of several melon wedges for serving.  I had picked up the gelato (Dolci) at P&C Market after buying the melon (I'd intended to make this Saturday and didn't get to it all weekend), thinking the flavors would go together.  What I didn't expect was that the vibrant green of the gelato looked perfectly matched with the green part of the melon rind.  It was a very pretty and delicious dessert idea.
  • Like 2

I am still experimenting w/ my Instant pot, so here is my lazy dinner- chicken breasts, 2 chicken andouille sausage, I/2 onion, 4 small miscellaneous peppers (2 curly red ones, 1 red jalapeí±o, & a small orange one), 6 cloves garlic, a handful of green beans w/ a marinade of kombucha, soy, & fish sauce, a handful of Thai basil & black pepper. It's pretty tasty, but chicken thighs would be better, half the amount of sausage, diced small, 2 or 3 times the green beans, but I plan on making it into a soup tomorrow w/ black eyed peas & more chicken stock (cooking a chicken in a clay pot tomorrow) & probably more veg.

Looking forward to Peking Duck tomorrow & we might go to the Workhouse farmer's market afterwards, haven't been there in awhile.

Edited- definitely 3x the green beans, these are the sweet/spicy green beans of your dreams, I don't really like peppers, but I think that's what worked here.

We grilled last night.  The showpiece was a marinated butterflied boneless half leg of lamb from Union Meat Company in Eastern Market.  The butcher trimmed and butterflied it for me.  The half started at about 4 lbs. before trimming.  I first put slivers of garlic into slits in the meat and then rubbed it all over with a paste of garlic and salt I had pounded using a mortar and pestle.  Then I marinated it for about 6 hours in a blend of lemon juice and zest, evoo, dried oregano, black pepper, and fresh mint (muddled in the uncleaned mortar used for the garlic paste.)  Wow, was that good grilled over charcoal.  I ate way more than was prudent.  So garlicky and delicious that was. I made a dill-less tzatziki to accompany (cucumber, mint, Greek yogurt, garlic and lemon juice).

Also done on the grill:  shishito peppers and extra firm tofu that had been drained/pressed and sliced, then marinated in bottled sesame and shiitake salad dressing.  The peppers were good dipped into the tzatziki.

Because there wasn't enough food :blink: , we also had some boiled corn on the cob with butter and shredded Parmesan, and some sliced tomatoes.

I turned the remaining 3 pieces of grilled tofu into a salad last night, topping the pieces with cilantro and squeezing on the juice of half a very juicy lime.  Then I sprinkled crushed toasted cashews over top and finished with a few shakes of toasted sesame oil.  Chopped scallion would have been good too.  I had some but was feeling too lazy to pull them out of the refrigerator and chop :ph34r: .

It was a fairly lazy meal.  I also made pulled chicken with leftover chicken, tomato juice, and bottled bbq sauce (Bull's-Eye original, the only bottled type I use; my endorsement ;) ). The two chicken breasts had been thrown into the pot when I made broth several days ago from a chicken back in the refrigerator and wings and backs from the freezer.  The breasts were left from a Costco pack of indeterminate date, and I figured they were okay for the broth but didn't know if we'd want to eat them afterwards.  Since they started from frozen, they ended up with some flavor and moistness post-brothmaking.  They shredded up easily.  I heated up some flour tortillas from Canales to go with the pulled chicken.

And, since my husband needs more food than I do, he also got the last of a broccoli-cheddar quiche we've been working on since late last week.

Me again :ph34r: .

Last night I made a poached salmon salad, starting with a half pound of wild King salmon.  The poaching liquid was water, lemon, scallions, and herbs  (thyme, rosemary, and parsley).   I'd have put some white wine in if I had any open, but I didn't want to open a bottle for this.  I made a bed of lettuce on the bottom of a large glass bowl and then topped it with chunks of the boned salmon, quartered marinated artichoke hearts, sliced cucumber, chopped tomato, and cubed avocado. To serve,  I made a creme fraiche - lemon dressing with some additional thyme and parsley.

I also made a small batch of eggplant-less ratatouille, just onion and garlic, zucchini, tomatoes and some tomato juice and paste, plus a mix of dried oregano, thyme, and basil.  This dish is something I used to make often as a vegetarian teenager but hadn't prepared in a long time.

The salmon salad and ratatouille was all I ate, but I reheated some grilled lamb and roasted cauliflower for my husband as well.

Me again :ph34r: .

Last night I made a poached salmon salad, starting with a half pound of wild King salmon.  The poaching liquid was water, lemon, scallions, and herbs  (thyme, rosemary, and parsley).   I'd have put some white wine in if I had any open, but I didn't want to open a bottle for this.  I made a bed of lettuce on the bottom of a large glass bowl and then topped it with chunks of the boned salmon, quartered marinated artichoke hearts, sliced cucumber, chopped tomato, and cubed avocado. To serve,  I made a creme fraiche - lemon dressing with some additional thyme and parsley.

I also made a small batch of eggplant-less ratatouille, just onion and garlic, zucchini, tomatoes and some tomato juice and paste, plus a mix of dried oregano, thyme, and basil.  This dish is something I used to make often as a vegetarian teenager but hadn't prepared in a long time.

The salmon salad and ratatouille was all I ate, but I reheated some grilled lamb and roasted cauliflower for my husband as well.

Were you hungry later? That's not a lot of food.

The salmon sounds wonderful; leaving eggplant out of ratatouille is a crime against nature. :)

Were you hungry later? That's not a lot of food.

The salmon sounds wonderful; leaving eggplant out of ratatouille is a crime against nature. :)

No, I wasn't hungry.  I don't need that much food, and I don't get hungry after dinner because I don't stay up real late.  I haven't eaten late at night in decades.

I do make real ratatouille sometimes.  I just call the eggplant-less version that because "that zucchini - tomato thing I made all the time when I was a vegetarian" is kind of awkward as a description.

Last night we grilled outside:  chicken legs and breasts plus beef hotdogs. That will carry over as leftovers for most of the week, along with leftovers already in the refrigerator.  We also had rice pilaf, and I made and quesadillas from an ill-conceived recipe. I should have known better than to try it after reading through the recipe.

Last night:

Roasted poblanos stuffed with a rice blend and spicy pork

Grilled Kimcheese, based on the Joe Yonan recipe, except I used butter instead of canola oil, marble rye instead of multigrain bread, sliced Colby Jack instead of grated sharp cheddar, and a small pear that was not an Asian pear.

My husband had two of the sandwiches.  They were pretty good.

Ran out of gas so instead of grilling last night, we made up a small pan of eggplant parm. Earlier in the week we used up a bunch of odds and ends and baked a couple of pot pies. Can you tell I am willing it to be fall? Tonight we will make the last of our frozen potstickers (make a big batch whenever you're taking the time! They freeze beautifully and steam-fry straight from the freezer just about as well as when fresh!) and watch the zoodebate. Soon my freezer will be empty enough that I can justify filling it again!

Meatballs of hot Italian chicken sausage mixed with ground chicken and some breadcrumbs to bind, plus seasonings.

I baked the meatballs, and then simmered in 5 cups of last year's roasted/puréed tomatoes (with lots of onion and garlic) plus red wine, thyme, rosemary and fresh basil.

Served on zucchini noodles topped with some grated parmesean reggiano.

It was a lightened version of one of my favorite meals...tasty, satisfying and healthy.

We grilled halloumi and then served it on whole-wheat tortillas with a green pea/avocado puree and marinated cherry tomatoes.  Super easy and very delicious, the sweet peas balanced the salty cheese very well.

Had some leftover puree, so I took an English muffin, put 2 slices of ham and Muenster cheese on it, paninied the sandwich, then opened it and added the puree and some sprouts for breakfast.  Pretty sure I'll be having that again tomorrow morning.

We've been eating crock pot cuban pork for a few days now, and are just finishing up the black beans, rice, sauteed corn and peppers, and mojo sauce. The guac and tortilla chips were gone the first day. We'll still have a quart or so of shredded meat left in the freezer for later meals. Pork shoulder goes far!!!

I made Smitten Kitchen's zuchinni and rice gratin over the weekend and it was delicious, but overly fussy in the preparation. I think I'll just sautee the shredded zuchinni with the same fixings sans rice next time and see how well that tastes.

• Like 1

Last night was more of a huge frisee and radicchio-based salad I made several days ago, leftover grilled pork chops, leftover lima beans, and a stew of black-eyed peas and hot Italian sausage.   Lots of beans and pork.

• Like 1

I received a copy of a book called Eat Istanbul recently, a U.S. edition of a book previously published in the U.K.  It includes many interesting looking and accessible recipes.  Last night I made Fish köfte with tarator sauce, and it came out really well.  I made them with cod. Keeper recipe.  My husband loved these.

The tarrator sauce was fabulous, with great flavor.  The kofta mixture was a little too wet, which was really the only issue I had with the recipe.  I'll work on keeping excess moisture out next time.   We had naan, which I used for the breadcrumbs required in the recipe, to accompany.  It was great dipped into the sauce.

We also had Chilled carrots with tahini-ginger dressing, a Serious Eats recipe.  Also very good flavor.  I made that with orange and yellow carrots, which were extra pretty up against the minced cilantro in the dressing.

• Like 2

Broke out the slow cooker for the first time in months, to make saffron chicken with apricots (recipe here).  The recipe called to me because I had most of the ingredients already - appealing to my laziness is a good way to go these days, since I am mostly cooking for one.  Glad to have leftovers of this dish, though - it was surprisingly good, with tender chicken and a sweet-and-spicy "sauce" of tomatoes, onions, and apricots.  With some quick Israeli couscous, it was the perfect weeknight dinner.

Romaine and tomato salad; champagne-caper vinaigrette

Lamb stew with wild greens and egg-lemon sauce over couscous

The stew recipe is another one from Eat Istanbul.  I decided to serve it over couscous, which finished before the stew was ready. When I went to get the couscous to plate, it was a solid disc, so I flipped it out of the pan and poured the stew over it.  The stew came out pretty well, but it took longer than the time I had allocated, and I really should have used my largest stockpot, which I unfortunately cannot reach myself from where it's stored.  The Dutch oven I used was pretty crowded.  I'd make this again, but I'll have to approach some things differently.
  • Like 1

Another satisfying recipe last night from Eat Istanbul:  Karides gí¼veí§, a shrimp-tomato stew baked in individual casseroles.  Traditionally, it's slow cooked in earthenware pots, but the only earthenware vessel I have is pretty small and stashed away up high, so I went with individual Le Creuset gratin dishes instead.  This version had crumbled feta on the top as well.

This was a sort of starter/soup course for us.  The rest of the meal was a romaine-radicchio salad with watermelon radishes and cucumber plated alongside meatloaf.

• Like 1

Last night was more of the radicchio - romaine salad and Cincinnati 5 Way Chili.  I actually should have cooked more than 8 oz. of spaghetti, since my husband could have eaten another serving.  There's still chili and the other accompaniments left, so I'll be making more of this soon.

• Like 1

Last night was more of the radicchio - romaine salad and Cincinnati 5 Way Chili.  I actually should have cooked more than 8 oz. of spaghetti, since my husband could have eaten another serving.  There's still chili and the other accompaniments left, so I'll be making more of this soon.

Ooooh.  Good to see.  Since I first ate at Hard Times decades ago I became a fan of Cincinnati Chili and have prepared it many times;  3 Way, 4 Way, 5 Way, without toppings, with unusual toppings etc.  Various diners have enjoyed it and the Cincinnati style.   A good number of so called Chili experts (aka Texans) have called this the "devil's work.  I have disagreed and continue on that path.  Nice to see an accomplished home cook use this method.   :D

• Like 1

Ooooh.  Good to see.  Since I first ate at Hard Times decades ago I became a fan of Cincinnati Chili and have prepared it many times;  3 Way, 4 Way, 5 Way, without toppings, with unusual toppings etc.  Various diners have enjoyed it and the Cincinnati style.   A good number of so called Chili experts (aka Texans) have called this the "devil's work.  I have disagreed and continue on that path.  Nice to see an accomplished home cook use this method.   :D

We hadn't had this in a long time and my husband requested it a while back.  He used to like to get this at Hard Times too.  I loosely followed a recipe for the chili and should have cut back a little on the spices, as I used less meat than the recipe called for.  The warm spices were a bit too dominant, but it was still quite good, if I do say so myself <_< .

Last night was a salad of romaine, radicchio, and Belgian endive with watermelon radishes, cucumber, and champagne - caper vinaigrette; buttermilk biscuits, and lamb shanks braised in pinot noir.

• Like 1

Last night was roasted chicken, roasted orange cauliflower and butternut squash, and blanched broccoli rabe finished in the chicken drippings in the oven while the chicken rested before carving.  I'd totally do that again with the broccoli rabe.  I don't know what gave me that idea, but it was mighty good.

• Like 2

Last night was a grown up version of hungry jack casserole of my youth (essentially pork and beans, bbq sauce and ground beef topped with biscuits and cheese).  The grown up version used bacon, ground elk sauteed with carrots, peppers, onion, then baked with baked beans, bbq sauce, biscuits and cheese.  Used less bbq sauce and no added sugar and cheese so it was definitely just a little healthier.  Mk seemed to really like it.

The night before I had Chinese food leftovers.  The mapo tofu I ordered hadn't been terribly spicy, and didn't have the ground pork, so I crumbled sausage I had in the fridge, added a bit of crushed red pepper, and added some leftover tomato sausage soup broth for a little extra depth of flavor.  I also cooked a whole heck of a lot of spinach and we ate it over spinach sauteed with garlic and leftover string beans.  This actually for all my little doctoring turned out excellent.

Another Instant Pot lazy meal- cooked black eyed peas, added Rotel tomatoes, & braised beef (cooked in a bulgogi marinade), a little chicken stock & chile powder- I don't know what you would call it, but it's delicious. The best thing I have added to my kitchen this year has been the Instant Pot.

Another Instant Pot lazy meal- cooked black eyed peas, added Rotel tomatoes, & braised beef (cooked in a bulgogi marinade), a little chicken stock & chile powder- I don't know what you would call it, but it's delicious. The best thing I have added to my kitchen this year has been the Instant Pot.

Our slow cooker died earlier this year and we decided to replace it with an Instant Pot and it is awesome.  I absolutely adore that I can sear food before pressure/slow cooking it and if needed, I can saute it afterwards as well, all in the same dish.

Breaded turkey cutlets

Braised Rainbow chard with vinaigrette

I also planned leftovers of the noodles and cheese but forgot.  Turkey cutlets came out great.

Oh lord.  Just groaned.   Thin breaded turkey cutlets with Italian seasonings throughout the breading.  An all time favorite.  I bet they came out great!!!!

Oh lord.  Just groaned.   Thin breaded turkey cutlets with Italian seasonings throughout the breading.  An all time favorite.  I bet they came out great!!!!

I actually went the sage, thyme, rosemary route for the seasonings, and they were excellent.

We called those turkey patties at our house growing up and they were a favorite before, after, and for Thanksgiving, when there is an abundance of turkey available at the store. I will probably make some soon!!!

• Like 1

Last night was meatball sandwiches, but not the Italian tomato sauce and provolone type.  I made a batch of Swedish meatballs and stuffed them into baguette chunks and topped with chopped button mushrooms that had been roasted in bacon fat.  I intended to make a salad too but got lazy...