10119 replies to this topic

#10101 ktmoomau

ktmoomau

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:13 AM

Last night was roast pork tenderloin rubbed with spices, garlic and olive oil, roasted with summer squash, carrots, corn and a small baked potato.

Night before I made linguine with meat sauce, I used a brand of gf pasta I love from the Italian Store, and the Hubby didn't notice is was gf AND went on and on about how good the pasta was.

But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I
Know I got this side of me that
Wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just
Fly the whole mess into the sea. The Shins
www.rrbmdk.com
www.katelintaylor.com

#10102 dcandohio

dcandohio

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:39 AM

Blistered shishito peppers with salt and ponzu
Salad of shredded kale, quinoa, macadamia nuts and dried fruit
Green zucchini, yellow zucchini, yellow crook neck squash and red potatoes layered in a pan over sautéed onions and garlic, covered with a chopped tomato and a bit of parmesean cheese, baked.
Grilled London broil, marinated in red wine, soy sauce, pomegranate balsamic vinegar, garlic, Rosemary, frank's hot sauce

We enjoyed this on a beautiful, warm evening with the sound track courtesy of the Sirius 70's station. There might have been singing...

Shut up and pour another glass of wine, please.

#10103 Sundae in the Park

Sundae in the Park

hammerhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:31 PM

We can't stop eating zucchini/squash fritters...

#10104 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 12:54 PM

Blistered shishito peppers with salt and ponzu

My husband made some of these on the grill Saturday night.  Usually I do them on a cast iron pan inside.  The grill worked great.  

We had them with smoked Maldon sea salt (for him) and garlic hummus and others just plain. He threw some pita rounds on the grill briefly, which we had with some more of the hummus.  He also grilled some delicious chicken breasts, sprinkled with a poultry seasoning he brought back from Schwartz's in Montreal and then finished with bbq sauce.  Also on the menu:  buttered corn on the cob and orzo pesto salad with green beans, tomatoes, and olives.

I've been trying to heat the kitchen as little as possible, so we've been eating lots of salads, cold soup, and quickly microwaved leftovers to stretch the food I am cooking.  A few nights ago, I even, for the first time in ages, reprised the microwave dish I made often when our kitchen was being renovated a decade ago:  Microwaved chicken thighs with pickled ginger, garlic, and baby spinach.  I steam-roasted some garlic in the microwave for that.

#10105 The Delicious

The Delicious

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:36 PM

Who doesn't like fresh tomatoes? So, we bought a bunch of sun gold grape-sized tomatoes at the Falls Church market on Saturday with no real plan for what to do with them. Maybe it was divine intervention, but later that day, the wife came across a recipe in Bon Appetit that called for a pint+ of fresh sun gold grape-sized tomatoes. It was a recipe for Black Cod, which we found at the McLean Organic Butcher for an ungodly price. Lo tho did heaven and hell clash in our oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees, what we beheld was nothing short of a miracle re-birth; the cod had transformed into something beautiful. We ate it, and it was (really fucking) good.

• thistle and DaveO like this

#10106 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:07 AM

Monday night:

Salad of baby spinach and baby arugula, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, red onion, and bacon; miso-ginger vinaigrette

Cheddar scallion biscuits [Spring Mill Bread Co.] with scallion butter
Leftover shisito peppers
Leftover grilled bbq chicken breast and spaghetti

Last night:
Salad of baby spinach and baby arugula, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, red onion, and bacon, topped with sliced grilled bbq chicken breast; champagne-caper vinaigrette
Cheddar scallion biscuits with scallion butter
Green bean gratin topped with gruyere and buttered bread crumbs

The cheddar-scallion biscuits from the Barracks Row Spring Mill Bread Co. are fantastic.  A friend mentioned them to me a couple of months ago, saying that they are so popular that if you go too late in the day, they'll be sold out.  They make the biscuits there.  The first time I bought one, the man working the register said that he's the person who makes them. I'm not sure if the opening of Bayou Bakery and availability of their biscuits has cut into sales of these or not.

I bought two biscuits on Monday, and they are so big, we only ate one between us.  So, we had a repeat performance last night.  I found myself with a lot of excess scallions, so making a scallion butter seemed like a good plan for an accompaniment.

The green bean gratin was based on something I saw mentioned on another message board.  Based on the photo that accompanied the message, I baked these in individual round Le Creuset gratin dishes big enough to hold the whole trimmed beans.  I made a small batch of béchamel for the bottoms of the dishes and laid crisp-steamed beans down in the sauce. Then I grated gruyere over the top, sprinkled with bread crumbs and dotted with butter.  I put the pans in a 375 oven for a maybe 15 minutes, then turned on the broiler to finish them.  Really good but probably better for cooler weather.

#10107 JoshNE

JoshNE

Member: H Street Overlords

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:03 PM

Back to back dinners made great with the seafood from Fiona at District Fishwife.

Last night was seared tuna over cranberry beans with basil/walnut pesto, and a sweet pepper/shallot salad with citrus peppercorn vinegar.

Tonight was tacos with fantastically fresh and sweet red shrimp from Connecticut.  Boiled in a bastardized version of the shrimp boil seasoning from the Lee Brother's first cookbook, plus some leftover Sauvignon Blanc.  Served on corn tortillas with cabbage, radishes, sour cream, and chunky guacamole.  A side of quickly sautéed summer squash with oregano and Esplette pepper.

#10108 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:37 AM

Wednesday night:

Heirloom tomato salad plate

Broiled cod with scallion butter

Leftover vegetable mix (green beans, arugula, spinach, red onion, tomato) in leftover béchamel sauce, plated alongside/over the cod

Steamed broccoli with hot pepper sesame oil

My salad plate had blue cheese to accompany.  My husband, who doesn't like blue cheese, got cottage cheese and wheat thins. 

The cod was from Yes!  It seemed quite fresh.  A friend had told me their fish was good, but this is the first I'd tried it.  I find the fish at Eastern Market unreliable and don't get to Union Market much, so it's good to have a reliable source to pick up a piece of fish when I'm not making a Whole Foods run.

#10109 Xochitl10

Xochitl10

えいえい東北!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 08:59 PM

Black bean and chorizo burgers

Red cabbage slaw

北緯39度

"I am not edible!" -- C-3PO

#10110 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:20 AM

Grilled shisito peppers

Grilled ribeye steaks
Grilled zucchini
Corn on the cob with butter and Parmesan
Causa (Peruvian cold mashed potatoes with oil, pepper, and lime)

#10111 silentbob

silentbob

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:28 PM

Saturday was Thai curry day in the silentbob/erin79 house:

Wegman's had a piece of D'Artagnan duck breast on special (had reached the sell-by date, so 50% off regular price), which I sous-vided at 135 degrees for 90 minutes, then finished in a pan skin-side down for four minutes and the other side for one more.  Sliced and put into a red curry with pineapple chunks and sliced cherry tomatoes.  Paired with a 2012 Jemrose Viognier, Egret Pond Vineyard.

For dinner, I sous-vided skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs at 165 degrees for 90 minutes, then finished skin-side down in the pan for five minutes after chilling the bag of meat in an ice bath.  Put the chicken chunks in a green curry with carrots, scallions, and cherry tomatoes.

Must make sauce with the leftover chicken fat...

#10112 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 06:43 AM

Sunday:

Sardine rillettes and Carr's water crackers with cracked black pepper

Yogurt Soup With Summer Vegetables, Herbs and Feta
Salad topped with grilled steak (romaine, tomato, cucumber, radish, artichoke hearts; red wine vinaigrette)

The rillettes came from a recipe in David Lebovitz's My Paris Kitchen.  Easy to make from ingredients I had already on hand and really delicious.  I halved the recipe.  Link here from Google Books.  The cold buttermilk - yogurt soup was an Ellie Krieger recipe from the Post website and was also quite good.  I used chives, since I had a lot, instead of the dill called for, and full-fat buttermilk.  I served the feta on the side at the table for adding instead of combining it with the other ingredients.

Monday:
Leftovers of the steak salad
Cheddar cornmeal-chive pancakes with yogurt
Bruleed cantaloupe with pistachio gelato

The pancakes came out so well the first time I made them, I made them again last night.  Love this recipe.  (I posted a link to it the last time I made it.)

The bruleed melon idea I found posted on another message board.  I sprinkled some demerara sugar over chunks of cantaloupe (from Southern MD, bought outside at Eastern Market over the weekend) and ran it under the broiler.  I think I didn't have the broiler heated enough when I started, because it took a while to melt any sugar, and the melon didn't brown much.  I hope it's not a problem with the broiler.  I don't want to deal with any more oven problems...

Using my small cookie scoop, I scooped a ball of gelato into the cavities of several melon wedges for serving.  I had picked up the gelato (Dolci) at P&C Market after buying the melon (I'd intended to make this Saturday and didn't get to it all weekend), thinking the flavors would go together.  What I didn't expect was that the vibrant green of the gelato looked perfectly matched with the green part of the melon rind.  It was a very pretty and delicious dessert idea.

• silentbob and dwt like this

#10113 silentbob

silentbob

ventworm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:10 AM

More sous-vide fun:

New York strip steaks from Wegman's, for 90 minutes at 129 degrees, finished in pan as instructed in this Serious Eats guide

Maple-glazed carrots braised in butter with thyme, from Saveur

2009 Ruston Family Cabernet Sauvignon, far improved from the one we opened in 2013

#10114 thistle

thistle

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:26 PM

I am still experimenting w/ my Instant pot, so here is my lazy dinner- chicken breasts, 2 chicken andouille sausage, I/2 onion, 4 small miscellaneous peppers (2 curly red ones, 1 red jalapeño, & a small orange one), 6 cloves garlic, a handful of green beans w/ a marinade of kombucha, soy, & fish sauce, a handful of Thai basil & black pepper. It's pretty tasty, but chicken thighs would be better, half the amount of sausage, diced small, 2 or 3 times the green beans, but I plan on making it into a soup tomorrow w/ black eyed peas & more chicken stock (cooking a chicken in a clay pot tomorrow) & probably more veg.
Looking forward to Peking Duck tomorrow & we might go to the Workhouse farmer's market afterwards, haven't been there in awhile.

Edited- definitely 3x the green beans, these are the sweet/spicy green beans of your dreams, I don't really like peppers, but I think that's what worked here.

#10115 thistle

thistle

leviathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:20 PM

Too tired for a proper dinner tonight, but chicken broth & pickapeppa added to this mix make an excellent soup, that's all that's needed.

#10116 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:03 PM

We grilled last night.  The showpiece was a marinated butterflied boneless half leg of lamb from Union Meat Company in Eastern Market.  The butcher trimmed and butterflied it for me.  The half started at about 4 lbs. before trimming.  I first put slivers of garlic into slits in the meat and then rubbed it all over with a paste of garlic and salt I had pounded using a mortar and pestle.  Then I marinated it for about 6 hours in a blend of lemon juice and zest, evoo, dried oregano, black pepper, and fresh mint (muddled in the uncleaned mortar used for the garlic paste.)  Wow, was that good grilled over charcoal.  I ate way more than was prudent.  So garlicky and delicious that was. I made a dill-less tzatziki to accompany (cucumber, mint, Greek yogurt, garlic and lemon juice).

Also done on the grill:  shishito peppers and extra firm tofu that had been drained/pressed and sliced, then marinated in bottled sesame and shiitake salad dressing.  The peppers were good dipped into the tzatziki.

Because there wasn't enough food :blink: , we also had some boiled corn on the cob with butter and shredded Parmesan, and some sliced tomatoes.

#10117 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:06 AM

I turned the remaining 3 pieces of grilled tofu into a salad last night, topping the pieces with cilantro and squeezing on the juice of half a very juicy lime.  Then I sprinkled crushed toasted cashews over top and finished with a few shakes of toasted sesame oil.  Chopped scallion would have been good too.  I had some but was feeling too lazy to pull them out of the refrigerator and chop :ph34r: .

It was a fairly lazy meal.  I also made pulled chicken with leftover chicken, tomato juice, and bottled bbq sauce (Bull's-Eye original, the only bottled type I use; my endorsement ;) ). The two chicken breasts had been thrown into the pot when I made broth several days ago from a chicken back in the refrigerator and wings and backs from the freezer.  The breasts were left from a Costco pack of indeterminate date, and I figured they were okay for the broth but didn't know if we'd want to eat them afterwards.  Since they started from frozen, they ended up with some flavor and moistness post-brothmaking.  They shredded up easily.  I heated up some flour tortillas from Canales to go with the pulled chicken.

And, since my husband needs more food than I do, he also got the last of a broccoli-cheddar quiche we've been working on since late last week.

#10118 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:27 AM

Me again :ph34r: .

Last night I made a poached salmon salad, starting with a half pound of wild King salmon.  The poaching liquid was water, lemon, scallions, and herbs  (thyme, rosemary, and parsley).   I'd have put some white wine in if I had any open, but I didn't want to open a bottle for this.  I made a bed of lettuce on the bottom of a large glass bowl and then topped it with chunks of the boned salmon, quartered marinated artichoke hearts, sliced cucumber, chopped tomato, and cubed avocado. To serve,  I made a creme fraiche - lemon dressing with some additional thyme and parsley.  

I also made a small batch of eggplant-less ratatouille, just onion and garlic, zucchini, tomatoes and some tomato juice and paste, plus a mix of dried oregano, thyme, and basil.  This dish is something I used to make often as a vegetarian teenager but hadn't prepared in a long time.

The salmon salad and ratatouille was all I ate, but I reheated some grilled lamb and roasted cauliflower for my husband as well.

#10119 DonRocks

DonRocks

leviathan

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,151 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:55 AM

Me again :ph34r: .

Last night I made a poached salmon salad, starting with a half pound of wild King salmon.  The poaching liquid was water, lemon, scallions, and herbs  (thyme, rosemary, and parsley).   I'd have put some white wine in if I had any open, but I didn't want to open a bottle for this.  I made a bed of lettuce on the bottom of a large glass bowl and then topped it with chunks of the boned salmon, quartered marinated artichoke hearts, sliced cucumber, chopped tomato, and cubed avocado. To serve,  I made a creme fraiche - lemon dressing with some additional thyme and parsley.  

I also made a small batch of eggplant-less ratatouille, just onion and garlic, zucchini, tomatoes and some tomato juice and paste, plus a mix of dried oregano, thyme, and basil.  This dish is something I used to make often as a vegetarian teenager but hadn't prepared in a long time.

The salmon salad and ratatouille was all I ate, but I reheated some grilled lamb and roasted cauliflower for my husband as well.

Were you hungry later? That's not a lot of food. 

The salmon sounds wonderful; leaving eggplant out of ratatouille is a crime against nature. :)

dcdining.com - Restaurant Reviews - Facebook <--- LIKE Meeeeeeee! Twitter <--- FOLLOW Meeeeeeee!

If you're a member here, please Friend me personally on Facebook (send me a message with your screen name, please, so I know which member you are!)

#10120 Pat

Pat

clownfish

• Membership Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:30 AM

Were you hungry later? That's not a lot of food. 

The salmon sounds wonderful; leaving eggplant out of ratatouille is a crime against nature. :)

No, I wasn't hungry.  I don't need that much food, and I don't get hungry after dinner because I don't stay up real late.  I haven't eaten late at night in decades.

I do make real ratatouille sometimes.  I just call the eggplant-less version that because "that zucchini - tomato thing I made all the time when I was a vegetarian" is kind of awkward as a description.

Last night we grilled outside:  chicken legs and breasts plus beef hotdogs. That will carry over as leftovers for most of the week, along with leftovers already in the refrigerator.  We also had rice pilaf, and I made and quesadillas from an ill-conceived recipe. I should have known better than to try it after reading through the recipe.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users