Dinner - The Polyphonic Food Blog

JPW

Breaded turkey cutlets

Braised Rainbow chard with vinaigrette

I also planned leftovers of the noodles and cheese but forgot.  Turkey cutlets came out great.

I actually went the sage, thyme, rosemary route for the seasonings, and they were excellent.

We called those turkey patties at our house growing up and they were a favorite before, after, and for Thanksgiving, when there is an abundance of turkey available at the store. I will probably make some soon!!!

Got introduced to breaded turkey cutlets by a friend.  The better spiced with significant levels of Italian spices ie sage, thtyme, rosemary, and others, the better it was.    Boy was that dish a favorite.  I thought of it as fowl candy....and so did others.  A wonderful dish.   I'll probably purchase turkey cutlets this weekend.

Pho.  Followed this recipe.  Pressure cooker.  I was amazed how well the broth came out -- as good as most I've had in Vietnamese restaurants.  The rest wasn't quite as successful -- the noodles in particular didn't come out as well as I had hoped.  But pretty good pho for the side of a mountain in North Carolina anyway.  And an opportunity to put the Thai basil I've been growing in the yard to good use.

I'm glad I did it, but not sure I'll do it again.  A huge amount of work and lots of ingredients.  I probably spent about as much on the beef alone as just having a two large bowls in a restaurant.  But now I appreciate what it takes to make it -- that's worth something too.

• Like 1

This topic is one I'll have to follow more closely, since I enjoy cooking, and I'm always looking for ideas.

Earlier this week, I made a chorizo and white bean stew from the linked recipe. I halved the recipe, and discovered that I'd prefer half the amount of sausage called for. (Used chorizo links from Whole Foods)

The results were delicious, and preparation time was minimal.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chorizo-and-white-bean-stew

• Like 1

This topic is one I'll have to follow more closely, since I enjoy cooking, and I'm always looking for ideas.

Earlier this week, I made a chorizo and white bean stew from the linked recipe. I halved the recipe, and discovered that I'd prefer half the amount of sausage called for. (Used chorizo links from Whole Foods)

The results were delicious, and preparation time was minimal.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chorizo-and-white-bean-stew

I agree! This is a great idea since I've been looking for more white bean recipes. Thanks for linking!

Last night we also made pizza - white sauce with mushrooms and red sauce with salami. The first couple came out great but our stupid oven loses heat really fast so the last couple are sort of wan.

Spinach and arugula salad with mushrooms; white balsamic vinaigrette

Leftover chicken thighs with poutine gravy
Leftover green beans
Leftover mac and cheese

The leftover poutine gravy was fantastic over chicken.  I had extra gravy and didn't want to make poutine again.  Great solution.

Last night was my first attempt at garden rolls, they were ok, but could have been better.  I had to make some edits to the Charles Pham recipe due to what I had in the fridge, and I didn't make the homemade aioli.

We also had a trader joes sukiyaki meal that I highly edited with more noodle, more broth, red pepper flakes, more veggies.

I forgot my garden rolls for lunch today, oh no!

Last night I made mac and cheese with bacon, peas, broccoli and carrots.  I keep trying to make a good make and cheese that is lactose free, and this turned out well, but not creamy, I am still working on the creamy part.

Honey jalapeno tofu nuggets over cauliflower rice was last night and definitely will make again in the future.   

I keep doing the same things with tofu over and over, so that looks like a good one to try for variety.  The barbacoa recipe you posted looked good too, but I don't currently have a crockpot.  I guess I could use a dutch oven instead, but that's actually one type of dish that usually does well coming out of a crockpot.

Last night was French onion soup, leftover cheeseburgers with poutine gravy (it's also good on burgers!), and leftover steamed broccoli and roasted squash.

Dinner for my husband last night (I was still full from lunch):  Romaine salad with cucumbers and radishes and champagne-caper vinaigrette; beef vegetable soup; crostini.

I made the soup from bone broth I made from the roasted marrow bones leftover from the roasted marrow bone appetizer the other night.  It came out really well.

Steamed broccoli and romesco cauliflower

I write not to scold, but only to chime in. The vegetable you refer to goes by a number of names, such as romanesco cauliflower, romanesco broccoli, broccolo romanesco (in Italian), or also (in Italian) cavolo romanesco or even cavolo broccolo romanesco, or just romanesco, which is obviously simplest. In any case, its name always associates it with Rome. I hadn't seen romanesco much before this year, or at least hadn't noticed it. I bought some at the Dupont Circle market from New Morning Farms a few weeks ago. I broke it into florets, tossed them with olive oil, salt, and some grated Parmigiano, spread them on a baking sheet, and put it in the oven at whatever temperature the recipe I used called for. I pulled it out after 20 minutes or so and plated some with additional cheese, and it was so delicious. But the larger pieces needed more cooking, so I put them back in the oven, and then forgot all about them for about an hour, and when I took them out again they were burnt to cinders. It was very sad. It didn't do the sheet pan a lot of good, either.

Then the Saturday before last, I think, when I took Kiko to the groomer in Gettysburg, I stopped on the way back at the Catoctin Orchard farm-stand north of Thurmont, MD, and discovered that they had the very same excellent vegetable, but with no price marked. I asked one of the people working there "how much is the romanesco?", and she had no idea what I was talking about. I pointed to it, and said "this stuff" and she said what did you call it? And I repeated the name, and she said she'd never heard that before, they always called it "Christmas-tree cauliflower" but my name was prettier. Anyway, it was $3.50 a pound, just like the regular cauliflower.

I love this stuff. I think it has a far finer flavor and texture than either cauliflower or broccoli in their ordinary varieties. I still have some in the fridge, and am thinking it would make a very nice soup.

Breaded turkey cutlets, thanks to Pat's post of a couple of weeks ago.   OKAY, its not the greatest dish in the world.  But its a dish I forgot about and probably haven't made in 15 years or more.  Always enjoyed it and it was a treat to make it for others the other night with

spinach salad

small roasted potatoes.

I recall why I liked it so much-->  very tasty, very little prep time, even less cooking time, and clean up is so easy.  I'll do it again.  tx, Pat.

• Like 1

I write not to scold, but only to chime in. The vegetable you refer to goes by a number of names, such as romanesco cauliflower, romanesco broccoli, broccolo romanesco (in Italian), or also (in Italian) cavolo romanesco or even cavolo broccolo romanesco, or just romanesco, which is obviously simplest. In any case, its name always associates it with Rome. I hadn't seen romanesco much before this year, or at least hadn't noticed it. I bought some at the Dupont Circle market from New Morning Farms a few weeks ago. I broke it into florets, tossed them with olive oil, salt, and some grated Parmigiano, spread them on a baking sheet, and put it in the oven at whatever temperature the recipe I used called for. I pulled it out after 20 minutes or so and plated some with additional cheese, and it was so delicious. But the larger pieces needed more cooking, so I put them back in the oven, and then forgot all about them for about an hour, and when I took them out again they were burnt to cinders. It was very sad. It didn't do the sheet pan a lot of good, either.

Then the Saturday before last, I think, when I took Kiko to the groomer in Gettysburg, I stopped on the way back at the Catoctin Orchard farm-stand north of Thurmont, MD, and discovered that they had the very same excellent vegetable, but with no price marked. I asked one of the people working there "how much is the romanesco?", and she had no idea what I was talking about. I pointed to it, and said "this stuff" and she said what did you call it? And I repeated the name, and she said she'd never heard that before, they always called it "Christmas-tree cauliflower" but my name was prettier. Anyway, it was $3.50 a pound, just like the regular cauliflower.

I love this stuff. I think it has a far finer flavor and texture than either cauliflower or broccoli in their ordinary varieties. I still have some in the fridge, and am thinking it would make a very nice soup.

Yeah, cauliflower romesco is a different dish.  I should have checked the spelling.  I found this at Gardener's Gourmet at Eastern Market, along with the broccoli.  I guess it's a broccoli-caulflower hybrid.  Sometimes I see it at Whole Foods.  It probably would make a good-tasting soup.

Green leaf lettuce, radicchio, radishes, cucumber, and feta; champagne-caper vinaigrette

Roasted spatchcocked Cornish game hens over a rice medley (white, brown, wild, and red rice, celery, walnuts, and golden raisins)

Salmon (lemon juice, salt and pepper) grilled on a cedar plank.

Dressed with chimichurri (parsley, cilantro, garlic, jalapeí±o, olive oil, white wine vinegar)

Butter lettuce salad with pomegranate seeds and a dressing of Dijon, pomegranate balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Scallion shiitake pancakes

Stir-fry: tofu, baby bok choy, broccoli, snow peas, bell pepper, ginger and onions
Whole wheat spaghetti with peanut sauce

The scallion shiitake pancakes came from a David Hagedorn recipe in the Post.  I wan't sure how well they would turn out, but they came out great.  The recipe made two pancakes, which were perfect as a lead-in to the stir-fry.  I mixed the tofu through the spaghetti and peanut sauce and served the other vegetables on top.  I'm not so fond of whole wheat pasta, but I find that certain applications work better than others.  It works as a vehicle for peanut sauce.

Spicy Shrimp with Pineapple and Coconut Rice, this was fairly spicy but quite flavorful and other than the rice, came together very quickly.  Next time, I am going to try a different way to cook the rice.

Are you going to switch to a quicker cooking type of rice or use a different amount of liquid?  That looks like a rather small amount of liquid for 1 1/2 cups of brown rice.  One of my peeves with recipes is when they have you do things in discrete, sequential steps, so you don't start the next thing until the previous thing is done, when you could be doing a bit of multitasking..  You could get started on the rest of the dish in at least the later stages of cooking the brown rice here.  The rice is good with a resting period at the end, but it doesn't have to sit that long.

Last night was going to be Italian hoagies, but the ham was bad, so I made panini with salami, braised kale and swiss cheese. We have been so busy lately and just came home red eye from Hilton Head, worked all day, picked up the dog, he needed a bath, and I have a bichon so a bath requires a whole grooming process, then I look in my fridge with lots of options and have an Alec Baldwin as Jim Webb moment and think, "Where is my time?  I need more time."

• Like 1

Redeemed myself last night with some pretty darn good beef fajita tacos.  Skirt steak rubbed with garlic salt, cayenne and cumin, in the cast iron skillet, then once it rested tossed in onions and peppers.  Served with lettuce, cheese and some of my homemade salsa.

Soup and sandwiches with Utz potato chips

The soup was chicken noodle, made from broth I had prepared early in the day.  The noodles were pieces of mafalda I broke off from meter-long mafalda I bought at Trader Joe's.  Pasta that long makes for difficult storage, but this was the first time I'd seen mafalda in a store in quite some time, so I picked up a package.  I don't know why the boxed, precut, kind seemed to disappear from the shelves.  Maybe I was the only buying it...

The sandwiches were mostly cold cuts on rye toast (that loaf also came from TJ's): mortadella, roasted turkey breast, miscellaneous slices of cheese, lettuce, and avocado.

I've been rocking a lot of Indian food lately:

Poha (a pounded rice dish with onion, red bell pepper, cashews, shredded coconut, black mustard seeds, cumin, turmeric, garam masala, and a twist of lemon)

Malay Cabbage with Ginger and Coconut

Samosa Chaat (Bought from Indique, because who has time to make samosas)

• Like 2

Last night was skirt steak again, but with some Adam's steak seasoning (mmm), baked potato and garlicky kale and broccoli.  I am trying to eat a bit healthier so I have been trying to cut down on the amount of fats I use in cooking, really watch portions and up our veg even more.