Trader Joe's, 16 Area Locations

Do you remember the price? I love them but they are so expensive.

I think it was $2.99-- it was significantly less than anywhere else I have seen them. As I said, though, these were not in good condition--they were in plastic-wrapped containers and the packaging was such that there was a very humid environment inside, and the 'shrooms were starting to get that translucent look which is what happens before they turn into goo. Theoretically, if one could get these when they have just arrived at the store, this would be a great bargain.

On that subject. My husband told me that when he was on a recent birdwatching trip to New England, he stopped in a State Park in Connecticut, and found 'shrooms popping up amid the pine trees there. When he described what he had seen, there was little question that they had been maitakes. He said they were all over the place there. But he was on his way there, not back, and so didn't pick any. :)

Yes, they do. Or at least did when we stopped by on the first weekend it was open. In the case along the back wall of the store.
Perhaps things have changed, or perhaps your eyes deceived you, but it seems that the new TJ doesn't carry duck breast. Finding none on display, I asked about it, and the fellow I asked said "I'll go check". He returned to report that they do not carry any duck at all. :) So my duck-breast craving goes unfulfilled for yet another day. Perhaps tomorrow I'll get some at Balducci's; they always have them, although they would certainly be about half as expensive if Trader Joe had them. But what is money? Trash. I spit on it. Ptui.

Hello,

I'm new to this site and would like to introduce myself.

My name is Ronald and I am a crew member at the new Trader Joe's. I was hired before the store opened and am very excited about working there. It is a great place to work and TJ treats its crew members very well....as you might expect.

I look forward to reading this site and contributing where I can. Feel free to be in touch with me if I can be of any assistance.

Trader Ronald

I like the produce selection at the P Street Whole Foods. It's large and varied. Agree that the new Trader Joe's is lacking. Most of the produce is packaged, not that there's anything wrong with that. It's still better than the nasty Watergate Safeway.

I seem to recall that all TJs have weak produce sections.

Hello,

I'm new to this site and would like to introduce myself.

My name is Ronald and I am a crew member at the new Trader Joe's. I was hired before the store opened and am very excited about working there. It is a great place to work and TJ treats its crew members very well....as you might expect.

I look forward to reading this site and contributing where I can. Feel free to be in touch with me if I can be of any assistance.

Trader Ronald

Ronald,

Welcome to DR.com. Can people order a certain item at TJ's and then come pick it up? It seems like alot of things go in and out of stock very quickly there (sometimes never to be seen again). Just thinking of a case where you're planning a dinner and wanted to get ahold of a certain thing.

Thanks,

Chris

And I seem to recall a time, way back when, in sunny southern California, when TJs did not have a produce section at all. :)

When Trader Joe's was owned by Trader Joe, back in the 60's and early 70's, it was basically a place to buy wine, coffee beans, vitamins and supplements, nuts, dried fruit and brie. Once in a while, there would be a crate of butter lettuce or Vidalia onions near the cash registers. After Joe sold the company, they started adding prepared food and expanding the line of packaged foods, groceries and baked goods. Produce was a very late addition, in the late 80's and early 90's.

I bought some salmon steaks (over $50 worth) and got them home, only to discover (just before cooking time) that they had left the scales on the steaks. I called them immediately and the manager tried to tell me that EVERYONE sells salmon steaks with the scales on. Then he went on to say that EVERYONE eats salmon with the scales on. I haven't been back there since.

Intelligence and knowledge are rarely among the hiring criteria of low level service jobs like selling fish. This poor soul obviously does not know the difference between skiin and scales, and doesn't know that fish scales are supposed to be removed. At the P Street WF the other day, "Skate fillet" (sic) were not removed from the cartilage. When I pointed out that a filet is, by definition, removed from its bones or skeletal structure, the clerk had no idea what I was talking about. Someone else makes the signs, she just weighs and packages it.

Lunch today from TJ's prepared foods section -- Mediteranean (sp?) Chicken Salad with spinach

and figs on foccacia, not bad for prepared ahead food, light on the figs, big sticker "No Spinach! Lettuce

Instead" Three girls (GWU?) "Does it have spinach? I don't want spinach! A woman in California ate the

E. Coli, was, like, real sick ..."

The checkout line reminded me of my undergrad days (some time in the last century), Simulation and

Modelling ... one events queue and many servers (my geek-speak is very rusty :) ) (one line

many cashiers). When will Safeway discover how well this works?

So exciting. Free parking, efficient line and checkout, and the products and prices! Many wines were purchased for $5.99, in addition to a 6-pack of 17 oz. bottles of Czech beer for $5.50, real Greek yogurt, bresaola, gouda cheese with olives, even pre-seasoned bulgogi, ready to cook. Don't have to go to Bailey's Crossroads anymore. I just hope they can keep up with the demand.

OK, so I couldn't pass up a "bargain." I didn't see any more of the Honey Moon Vignoir (sp?), so was SEDUCED by the Contadino Pinot Grigio for a mere $3.99. Don't bother, unless you like TART--i.e., lip puckering--wine. I also bought a Pinot Noir for $5.99 and will report back when it gets opened.

However, today's trip scored such ridiculous bargains, that I wouldn't tell anyone not to go there. Particularly since the check out clerks were FIGHTING for customers. Why, oh why, can't the Safeway get a grip and use the same system???

Hello All,

All this talk about Whole Foods (whoever they are) got me to sent you more information about Trader Joe's.

Things have really been picking up as we've been open now for our first month. The crew is getting used to the routine, yet the number of customers at times seems overwhelming. We are all taking it in stride tho and we moving along.

The article in the Washinton Post last week didn't do us any real harm even though it was a little disparaging at times. The writer did say some good things about us and the following weekend was full of new customers, and 'come back and see us again' customers.

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you or feel free to email me or look me up next time you visit.

Significantly cheaper. Some examples, which I bought:

1 liter of Kalamata Extra Virgin Olive Oil: $7.99 (about ten bucks cheaper than Safeway)

1 pound of pasta (cappelinni): 69¢

1 pound of sliced baby portabella mushrooms: $1.49

TJ's herbal shampoo: $1.99

It's amazing how it all adds up to fifty bucks so quick!

TJ's has a cult following and the couple of times I went to the store up in Friendship Heights years ago, I didn't quite get it.

However, now I do. I shopped there this weekend since I heard they had a good price on frozen chestnuts and I needed lots. (Wasn't until I got home that I realized their shells were split, but they were NOT unpeeled. Vacuum-packed, unpeeled cost twice as much, so....)

-KA flour--regular price is lower than any I recall (Didn't need it, so amount escapes me.)

-Unfiltered, new grown in Italy EVOO a decent price; many better deals

-An entire kilo of Italian Arborio rice for $2.45, < or = cost for pound elsewhere

-Milk $2.99 a gallon, $1.89 1/2 a gallon

-3 grades of pasta; for $0.99, organic white-flecked pasta w/ coarser texture of De Cecco;

-"artisanal" line of Trader Joe Giotto is $1.49.

-Almond meal is $3.45 (??? forget size of bag); not flour from blanched nuts, but not $12 either

-All dried fruits & nuts are NOT better deals than what is found elsewhere. Many, fine quality, are.

-Niman Ranch and a few other meats carried by Whole Foods (small selection) at lower prices

-Those frozen Haricots Verts from France that I've heard about: $2 for 1 1/2 lbs.

Produce has been criticized. It's not their forte nor a priority. 39 cents for under-sized Granny Smith apples; 5 would probably make a pound. 3 persimmons for only $2.99, but none of the packages looked worth the purchase. Clementines at $6 when Giant had a $4 sale for 5 pounds this weekend.

However, many of the packaged vegetables did look fresh and good. Better prices included organic carrots at 79 cents; WF just lowered their recently elevated price of $1.19 to $0.99. I got a bag of photogenic scallions for $1.09. They were the equivalent of 2 1/2 bunches and due to the sealed plastic bag some of us shun, the greens were absolutely pristine since they hadn't been crushed by a rubber band. Fresh, good-looking mushrooms are around $2.60 a lb. white, $2.71 crimini, in 8 & 10 oz. packages, respectively.

Lines early on a Saturday evening were incredibly long, but I was at the counter before I could finish reading the first commentary Hendrik Hertzberg has been able to conclude on a happy note for years.

Hello Chris,

Yes you can order a special item and then come pick it up. Of course the item has to be something we can still get from our supplier (and we want to still get, if you know what I mean).

The item can either be ordered in person or by phone. Wine and Fresh items (produce/bread/meats/etc) would need a four day lead time. Dry goods usually less two to four days depending upon the item.

I was quite sure I knew the answer to your question yet I just confirmed it by phone with Tiffany (one of the best 'full timers' in the world....she said 'say something good about me....hehehe) and that was her direction.

Again either by phone or in person. If you stop by sometime look me up.

P.S. I'm now officially the 'Bread Man'. I got a review, a raise (horray-more bread) and was told I'll begin slowly to do the bread order. (Hope I'm up to carrying the weight)

Trader Ronald The Bread Man

Ronald,

Welcome to DR.com. Can people order a certain item at TJ's and then come pick it up? It seems like alot of things go in and out of stock very quickly there (sometimes never to be seen again). Just thinking of a case where you're planning a dinner and wanted to get ahold of a certain thing.

Thanks,

Chris

Hello,

As a Crew Member (and the Bread Man) at Trader Joes East/DC i have the pleasure of meeting and helping out a lot of very interesting customers. Let me relate to you some of them I've found most enjoyable.

Many new customers are unaccustomed to the service we offer. I was stocking the bread one day and was asked 'could you point me in the direction of the green beans?' My responce of course was to drop what I was doing (no I didn't drop any loaves of bread on the floor - grin) and take the customer to the frozen section, pointing out a few options, including a few I like.

Well this guest was amazed. 'You didn't have to do that' she said. 'But of course I did, thats why they pay me the big bucks and feed me so well'. She was truly surprised.

Also sometimes a customer will feel embarrassed to interrupt me from my breadly duties. I'll take them where they need to go and will hear 'I didn't mean to bother you'. 'No bother', I've said, 'I need the exercise anyway to deal with the weight I'm gaining due to the french toast and scrambled eggs we had for breakfast this morning.'

Lastly, and I'll close, we do carryout service....we call it 'ship to shore' of course. One time I went down to the parking garage (the 50 space garage is a well kept secret...don't tell anyone) with a women who had a huge cart of food, a young child, and 'a bun in the oven' if you know what I mean. ('Is that a bread joke Ronald?')

I loaded her trunk with the groceries. She said 'would it be alright if I gave you a tip' as she pressed some money into my hand. I took the money and told her I'd buy something for me and the rest of my crewmates with it.

Upon my arrival back on ship I went to the wine section and bought a bottle of 'Two Buck Chuck' and had change to spare after my employee discount! We had a good time in the break room that afternoon.

No, No, No, I didn't really buy any wine. I did buy an assortment of holiday cookies, afterall, I am the 'Cookie Monster' as well as the 'Bread Man' don't ja know?

Many new customers are unaccustomed to the service we offer. I was stocking the bread one day and was asked 'could you point me in the direction of the green beans?' My responce of course was to drop what I was doing (no I didn't drop any loaves of bread on the floor - grin) and take the customer to the frozen section, pointing out a few options, including a few I like.

Well this guest was amazed. 'You didn't have to do that' she said. 'But of course I did, thats why they pay me the big bucks and feed me so well'. She was truly surprised.

Unfortunately, there are not enough “crew members” (outside of TJs) as willing to help as you are.

For the better part of the 10 weeks while I was on crutches friends offered to shop for me. While I took them up on their offers, it’s kinda difficult to describe (especially to non-cooks) a specific cut of beef or where to find soy milk. Besides, they refused to take me with them; by the time I hobbled to the front door, they had finished shopping.

I went out on three occasions to do my own shopping. And all experiences were disasters. Once, in Ohio taking care of the nieces, I asked a store manager if they carried puff pastry. He disappeared for a good 10 minutes while I shopped for vegetables. When he came back, he said they didn’t have it. A while later, in the same store, I asked another manager if they had phyllo. She didn’t bother to look; her response was a flat no. I then asked about the frozen treats; I hadn’t seen ice cream and such on my first scouting trip. Sure enough, both items were there. In rather plain sight. What made this shopping experience especially frustrating was (1) the store gave the impression that it would assist customers—they even provided electric carts for customers to get around; (2) the items that I wanted were often on top shelves and getting them was quite difficult (I did send one niece scurrying up a shelf to get a box of polenta); (3) the store managers were anything but helpful; and (4) the check-out aisles weren’t wide enough to accommodate the electric carts.

Locally things weren’t much better. At one store, one that had big signs stating that assistance was available for customers, I waited a good 20 minutes after notifying store personnel that I needed assistance. It was NOT a busy time at the store. In fact, there were several checkout clerks standing around talking about the latest football game. To add insult to injury: the associate who did finally help me set out at a gallop. I nearly slipped trying to keep up with him.

(Next time – please Lord, don’t let there be a next time – I’m giving the cart a good shove down the aisle and doing my best Larry Bird imitation. Woe to anyone in my path.)

Extremely high or low objects were especially difficult while in a cast and on crutches. Yet another store—again, one that posted that assistance was available—has bins that are at ankle level. After an extremely long wait for assistance, a fellow customer stooped to get my items for me.

Hence I relied on meals from friends (often stews, chili and chicken), frozen food/dinners and ramen noodles. I craved fresh vegetables.

When I just need an aisle number, I am often embarrassed when associates/crew members/store personnel walk me to an item. Yet, when I needed assistance the most – from establishments that proffered -- it was nowhere to be found. Thank you Trader Ronald – and others like you – for “just doing your job.”

I neglected to mention the best bargain I found last week: 4 oz. of vanilla extract for $4.99. Before this trip, my last purchase was during a vanilla shortage and 4 oz. of organic cost $17.

KA flour must have been sold at a special price for Thanksgiving. Its regular price, $2.49 for 5 lbs. of all types, is still a good deal.

As for the frozen haricots verts from France, I wonder if the quality has gone down over the years or if it's a matter of different personal tastes since I have read raves about the item. Their flavor was minimal, especially compared to the delicious ones from the farmer's market that I cooked after they had been in the freezer for over a month. The ones from TJs mostly tasted frozen.

What I really would appreciate is a water fountain :) . With the warm weather, especially, the dry air was hard to take. Whole Foods gave its customers small bottles of the inexpensive store brand of water during its period of renovation out in Tenleytown. This store needs to put in a fountain and in the meantime, leave a pitcher with water and cups out next to the thermos of coffee.

I made it to the new TJ near GW tonight. What a great place.

I think we should start a petition of sorts on this Thanksgiving to request that the TJ concept be brought to neighborhoods across the country where good quality, affordable food is not readily available.

Hope everybody had a happy and healthy Thanksgiving.

Fighting for customers? Well, of course, we paid a commission....ya right.

Actually it is a fun place to work and sometimes when there are no 'guests' at the registers we do get a bit bored and 'reach out' for someone to wait on.

We had our 'Flyer Tasting' last nite and got a chance to eat and drink the various items in the Holiday Flyer.

"Trader Joe's Presents A Holiday Story. The snow began falling, a winters suggestion. Throwing elaborate party plans into question. The guests were due to arrive sharply at six. The cooks were despondent. What would they fix?"

Of course go to Trader Joes WebSite to get your own Fearless Flyer or stop into our store for one. Look me up also and I'll show you what I've been doing in the bread section.

The BreadMan

TraderRonald

However, today's trip scored such ridiculous bargains, that I wouldn't tell anyone not to go there. Particularly since the check out clerks were FIGHTING for customers. Why, oh why, can't the Safeway get a grip and use the same system???

Hello,

As a Crew Member (and the Bread Man) at Trader Joes East/DC i have the pleasure of meeting and helping out a lot of very interesting customers. Let me relate to you some of them I've found most enjoyable.

Also sometimes a customer will feel embarrassed to interrupt me from my breadly duties. I'll take them where they need to go and will hear 'I didn't mean to bother you'. 'No bother', I've said, 'I need the exercise anyway to deal with the weight I'm gaining due to the french toast and scrambled eggs we had for breakfast this morning.'

Lastly, and I'll close, we do carryout service....we call it 'ship to shore' of course. One time I went down to the parking garage (the 50 space garage is a well kept secret...don't tell anyone) with a women who had a huge cart of food, a young child, and 'a bun in the oven' if you know what I mean. ('Is that a bread joke Ronald?')

I loaded her trunk with the groceries. She said 'would it be alright if I gave you a tip' as she pressed some money into my hand. I took the money and told her I'd buy something for me and the rest of my crewmates with it.

Upon my arrival back on ship I went to the wine section and bought a bottle of 'Two Buck Chuck' and had change to spare after my employee discount! We had a good time in the break room that afternoon.

No, No, No, I didn't really buy any wine. I did buy an assortment of holiday cookies, afterall, I am the 'Cookie Monster' as well as the 'Bread Man' don't ja know?

Trader Ronald:

Your store is fantastic. Everything about it is good. Since I work in VA, I often stop by on my way home in DC and just "whip" into those unknown parking spaces in the garage - so roomy and so many of them! Its excellent. Unlike Whole Foods on P st. where you have to "wait" for a parking space, I never have to wait for anything at TRader Joe's.

Keep up the good work. I'll say Hi next time I'm there.

Found today at Trader Joe's in Foggy Bottom:

Meyer lemons, four to a package for $2.99.

Frozen green garbanzo beans--I've gotten these fresh at Asian markets, but never seen them shucked and frozen. I tasted one from a broken bag, and it was quite nice! I'm going to use them to make something similar to the fresh fava mousse that I made about a month ago (flavored with olive oil, roasted garlic, lemon juice and zest.) And I can use the Meyer lemons!

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout for $3.99--for the holiday favorite Guiness Stout Ginger Cake from "The Last Course" by Claudia Fleming. The cake won't use all of the big bottle of Smith's, and I'll enjoy what's left over!

the fresh fava mousse that I made about a month ago (flavored with olive oil, roasted garlic, lemon juice and zest.) And I can use the Meyer lemons!
The fava mousse sounds really good. Did you make it up? Have you tried it with frozen favas? Marcella Hazan gives a recipe for a fava puree that's similar, but it's flavored with mint, a Ligurian thing called marò. I find the mint rather cloying, and usually leave it out.

Maro!!!!

Zora: Meyer lemons are actually a much better deal at While Foods. I think they're around $2.99 a pound.

As for clementines, they're $5.99 for 5 lbs and only $4 at Safeway until Wednesday. Better to spend the extra buck and pick up 5 lbs. of satsuma mandarins; just check the box for moldy ones before you get in line.

Trader Joe's sells key limes at a lower price than WF and the quality yesterday looked excellent.

The parsnips were less expensive than they are at other stores in the area too. Same with 1/2 gallons of milk.

Jars of TJ "fancy" preserves contain corn syrup.

Meyer lemons are actually a much better deal at While Foods. I think they're around $2.99 a pound.

At P Street Whole Foods this morning, Meyer lemons were $2.99 each. They were $4.99 a pound at Balducci yesterday.

I am bound for Southern Cali-i-for-ni-ay on Saturday, and will try to leave enough room in my suitcase so that I can bring some goodies back. I'll be able to get to the mother of them all producers' farmers' market in Santa Monica. Maybe I can find unwaxed Meyer lemons. And some unusual variety avocados. And who knows what bargains I can find at Surfa's. Last year, I got some unbelievable deals on vanilla beans, lavender flowers, fennel pollen and dried porcinis.

:P

Zora: Perhaps you were looking at a nearby sign? I went to P St WF after the farmers market this afternoon and the Meyer lemons were $2.49 a pound. The quinces were $2.99 and radicchio $6.99 a pound (etc., etc. re prices I wouldn't pay...)

P.S. Take pictures at the market. How wonderful!

:P

Zora: Perhaps you were looking at a nearby sign? I went to P St WF after the farmers market this afternoon and the Meyer lemons were $2.49 a pound. The quinces were $2.99 and radicchio $6.99 a pound (etc., etc. re prices I wouldn't pay...)

:D:lol: I guess I need to start taking my reading glasses with me when I go shopping. I looked for you at the Dupont Market this morning, and didn't see you there, either...

Did someone say something about milk earlier in this thread?

For the second time (after a total of 3 visits), milk spoiled before the week was up and before the "sell by" date stamped on the plastic bottle. I'd prefer paying 40 cents more for a half gallon at Whole Foods that lasts.

I called the store. Management expressed puzzlement. "But we moved [the dairy products] away from the door [in the back]." Very gracious about the problem, but it sounds as if one remains.

Did someone say something about milk earlier in this thread?

For the second time (after a total of 3 visits), milk spoiled before the week was up and before the "sell by" date stamped on the plastic bottle. I'd prefer paying 40 cents more for a half gallon at Whole Foods that lasts.

I called the store. Management expressed puzzlement. "But we moved [the dairy products] away from the door [in the back]." Very gracious about the problem, but it sounds as if one remains.

The bread goes stale in one day flat.

On the other hand, I have to say that I think the quality of at least some of the nuts sold in 1# bags under the store brand are superior to some I picked up at Trader Joe's.
You know, I've heard many folks rave about the nuts at TJ's, but I haven't been impressed with them. I admit, this is a one off experience, but based on all the raves, I decided to pick up a bag of pistachios at TJ's (it was, IIRC, a one pound bag of CA pistachios). I thought they were neither very fresh nor very good. I know, one type of nut, one experience, but for all the raves I had heard about the nuts there, I figured they must all be winners. Generally, I've had good experiences with the bulk nuts at Whole Foods. When I can plan ahead, I try to get walnuts at Yekta, because they seem to have a high turnover.

I don't thing I have ever said this before about any grocery store, but it was a pleasure shopping at TJ's last night. First of all, there is a big menorah at the entrance in the parking lot. Even better, the right number of bulbs were lit in the correct order (right to left). I don't think I have ever seen that in any grocery store before. It's little things like that that count this time of year.

Then there were the aisles. The aisles that were designed by someone who clearly shops with a grocery cart and understands how much room is needed to allow two carts to pass in the night. That alone will bring me back.

Almost everything I needed was there and I really didn't need the spinach and artichoke dip I was looking for. Despite the late hour the people were friendly and clearly having fun.

When it was time to check out there were seven checkers awaiting. I love the line system, where everyone waits in the same line. It just makes so much sense! (And I thank the Trader Joe gods that I don't live in Union Square in NYC where the reported wait in line is about an hour or more.)

Best of all, I walked away with all the gifts I needed to buy for people I didn't want to spend a lot of money on :P

PRODUCE

The Fuyu persimmons, 4 for $2.29 are gone now. FTR, while I whined about the quality of the first packages I saw at the store for a slightly higher price, I bought really good ones a bit later in the month.

Blood oranges: 2 lbs. for $2.29. They're the usual Moro (vs. the sweeter, more subtely streaked variety carried by the Tenleytown Safeway last year at a bargain price), inexpensive because they're under-sized. However, they are sweet as well as beautiful.

Satsuma madarins: 5 lbs. for $6.99 is a bargain compared to the price at Whole Foods.

Red currants: Haven't seen these offered fresh at any other stores in D.C.

OTHER

The all-peanut butter at $1.69, purchased only once, does not seem to be a good deal. Its oil content is higher than others.

Canned Italian plum tomatoes at 99 cents are also mediocre.

Only had 2 kinds of organic dried pasta at 99 cents (vs. wide variety at .69 of lower quality), but spaghetti is great.

TJ butter is priced in competition with Whole Foods (both at $2.69), but deal on Plugra is remarkable.

A lot of staples and popular items were not in stock Saturday afternoon. Big gaps on shelves.

As a former GWU student resigned to the Watergate Safeway (:::shudder:: :P , I am so thankful for the new Trader Joe's, esp. since I'm still in the neighborhood. Yes, the produce section often leaves much to be desired, and you can't get fresh fish there anymore, but here are a few things I do love about TJs:

1. Cheap wine, all day, everyday. Plus a big selection of upmarket vino (and some nasty sparklers for good measure).

2. Suprising stock of hard to find ingredients- like the fact that I stumbled across both saffron threads and vanilla paste.

3. The frozen seafood. Oh my god. I could subsist on the seafood medley and blend alone..... yummmm.

4. The fact that they list and identify ALL ingredients on their products. I'm allergic to soy and peanuts. It's nice that all products with these or manufactured with these are marked more clearly than usual. Anyone who's had a bad reaction to oh, Wheat Thins or Tostitos will understand.

5. It's cheap, and good, and again, the seafood blend.

I am hosting a last minute cocktail party for ten on Friday night. Please help me plan a menu and even some wines that I can purchase at Trader Joe's. Frankly, I cooked so much over the holidays, I just don't feel like putting together a bunch of appetizers. So, what is good to buy??

Trader Joe's is actually a cocktail party dream. Start at the display in front of the check out line. There are usually random goodies there. Then head to the cheese and meat section. Pick up a couple of cheese-they often have a decent brie or St. Andre and a packet of salami or okay proscuitto. Head over to the nuts aisle and pick up a bag of cashews and wasabi peas. As you skate your way down the frozen food section, keep your eyes out for crackers and chocolate covered ______________________. Pick up the spanikopita and the mushroom stuffed in phyllo. They won't wow your socks off but for an impromptu party they are fine. The spinach and artichoke dip is okay-if you put work into it it's even pretty good.

Can't help you in the wine area but be sure to pick up a couple of bottles of funky soda for your non wine drinkers. You have no idea how much we appreciate it.

At the checkout line grab what ever "better chocolates" they have this week to put out later in the evening and leave being able to afford a nice cocktail party on an "over-educated, under paid professional's" salary :P

The frozen mushroom turnovers are also good.
I was there today and these were on offer in the back where they give away tastes of things. In a crunch, these will do just fine. However, i prefer a flakier crust than what was available. That said, it is awfully hard to find ready-made stuff like that. I find the frozen stuff to be a bit "Hit or Miss."

For wine, you really can't go wrong with the Honey Moon Viognier for $5.99. While I don't care at all for "Two Buck Chuck," this stuff will do just fine for a cocktail party and can be drunk on its own.

For a red, the Encuentro (I think it's a Tempranillo?) is fine, and in the $8-9 range.

The cheese selection is better than the meat, but the salami and proscuitto (the Black Forest kind) are solid choices. Buy crackers and don't bother with bread.

I assume their olives are decent quality for the price but have not tried them myself. I always love olives at cocktail parties. Plate and relax.

Thank you all very much for your advice. I went this afternoon and it was great. The prices...wow! I walked out with four bags stuffed with goodies including four bottles of wine (they were out of the Honey Moon, sadly), two six packs of beer, meats, cheeses, chocolates, shrimp, etc etc, all for $100. I can't wait to return! They were out of many items due to the holidays so I look forward to seeing the store fully stocked.

Thank you all very much for your advice. I went this afternoon and it was great. The prices...wow! I walked out with four bags stuffed with goodies including four bottles of wine (they were out of the Honey Moon, sadly), two six packs of beer, meats, cheeses, chocolates, shrimp, etc etc, all for $100. I can't wait to return! They were out of many items due to the holidays so I look forward to seeing the store fully stocked.
Did you find that fancy container of saffron for $2.99? :P

The current list of don't miss items there:

Roasted and salted Pistachios, out of the shell $5.99 for plenty

Wonton Chips, in the chip aisle when you first walk in. OMG are these good.

26 oz. of French Roast coffee beans, $7.99. This is crazy. Single guy, it lasts me 3 weeks.

I love living close enough to the Gaithersburg TJs that I can just stop in to buy milk if I want. Which I did tonight. But I have to confess (and I didn't read this thread before I went) that my cart did stop in front of the wonton chips for more than a few seconds.

Didn't buy them but perhaps next time!