Trader Joe's, 16 Area Locations

I was quite pleasantly surprised with TJ's rice pasta. I bought brown rice ziti just for the heck of it and I liked the texture. I was afraid that the pasta would be mushy like my first attempts with wheat pasta, but it held up beautifully. I paired it with TJ's turkey bolognese, which I'd say is on par with Stouffer's frozen. Not all that good, but it would do on a busy night.

At Bailey's location this past weekend, I could no longer find the English Toffee, but did pick up a surprisingly nice Viennese Lemon Tart (pretty tasty).

I also picked up some of their Canadian bacon which added a nice flavor to the fried rice I made.

I tried the new dark chocolate bars TJs advertised in their flyer. One is toffee/walnut/pecan, and the other is caramel black sea salt. Both bars were as good as Ghirardelli or Lindt, and we both preferred the toffee over the caramel. I think the caramel needs a heavier covering of chocolate to balance the sweetness of the burnt sugar, or a higher cacao content, maybe. Admittedly, I probably shouldn't complain about what is a really good deal at $1.99, and I will buy the toffee again.

If you like the dark chocolate sea salt caramels, it's that time of year again! I was in the Davis, CA store this week and the stocking manager said that they had sold out of them within a few days, and that he was so far unable to order more! So it's not just us. They are currently in stock at the Fairfax store. Get 'em while you can! I think last year they were out shortly after Thanksgiving.

If you like the dark chocolate sea salt caramels, it's that time of year again! I was in the Davis, CA store this week and the stocking manager said that they had sold out of them within a few days, and that he was so far unable to order more! So it's not just us. They are currently in stock at the Fairfax store. Get 'em while you can! I think last year they were out shortly after Thanksgiving.

Still in stock yesterday at the Reston store.

They were out of the dark chocolate sea salt caramels for awhile, but now they are back at the Fairfax store!! I think they are cleaning out their seasonal inventory, though, so it's not likely a permanent addition to the stock. They also have the corn syrupy sea salt caramels in the round box.

Lately I can't get enough of the mini toasts. Those little buggers go with everything and one package disappears very quickly.

I was sadly informed by a TJ employee at the Silver Springr/Burnt Mills branch that the Balsamic Glazed Sweet Grilled Onions have been "discontinued." When I first spotted these I was amazed and pleased that TJ's had make it possible for me to get the best onions grown in Italy . . . the red torpedo (i.e., slightly elongated) onions from Tropea, grown along the stretch of coastline between Capo Vaticano and Vibo Valentia, in Calabria. In Italy these onions are so famous that cipolla di Tropea ("Tropea onion" or "Tropea's onion") has become an Italian synonym for all red onions. They are/were fantastic. At least I had an intuition these were too good to be true to last long and bought a load to stash away. I don't know who or what committee decides to dump so many great products at TJ's (remember the departed white truffle oil?), but if I ruled TJ's I'd discontinue them too.

Sadly, I just learned that TJ's is also discontinuing their Sweet Thai Chili dipping sauce. According to the manager in Bethesda, it wasn't selling as "people" in the DC area aren't into hot/spicy food. Not sure who those "people" are and this dipping sauce wasn't even that hot. (this coming from someone who tends to enjoy spicy food on the mild side.) Sad to see it go - that and the real Tofutti cuties. The Trader Joe version just doesn't compare.

as soon as you find a product that you really like and come to depend on, TJ's will discontinue it.

Please don't let this be true of the Happy Pet Beef Twists (made from, ahem, steer pizzle). I've never found them anywhere else, and they are often the only thing that will calm my dog down and thereby give me a little peace. I don't know what I'd do without them. Maybe because I spend at least $50 a week on them TJ's will keep stocking them.

Please don't let this be true of the Happy Pet Beef Twists (made from, ahem, steer pizzle). I've never found them anywhere else, and they are often the only thing that will calm my dog down and thereby give me a little peace. I don't know what I'd do without them. Maybe because I spend at least $50 a week on them TJ's will keep stocking them.

Just in case, they sell those at PetMac around the corner from Pete's Apizza in Friendship Heights.

^Went to elementary school in New Haven with one of the two owners who remembers what I brought in my lunchbox!!

Read about cocktail grapefruit recently in LA Times and saw them on sale at TJ's for 99 cents. They're very in-season, so thought I'd give it a go and now am writing a caveat emptor. Delightfully juicy, sweet, but barely any flavor discernible to this non-super-taster. One of the hybrid's parents is a mediocre variety of grapefruit which may be the problem. Very subtle orange-like taste without a hint of grapefruit.

They've also had them at some of the NW DC Whole Foods locations for a few weeks. Chevy Chase, Tenley...

The blood oranges they've had at the West End TJ's are very good. They're sold in bags of 2 lbs., with about ten oranges, quite small, per bag. I think they cost either $2.49 or $2.29 a bag.The blood oranges I've bought at the Glover Park Whole Foods have also been good; they're much larger, but they've also been going for $1.49 apiece (IIRC). All the blood oranges I've seen so far this year have hailed from California. The California blood oranges I've had for the last few years have mostly been pretty terrible, bred for the darkest possible flesh rather than for taste and juiciness. That trend seems to have been reversed, hallelujah.

The California blood oranges I've had for the last few years have mostly been pretty terrible, bred for the darkest possible flesh rather than for taste and juiciness. That trend seems to have been reversed, hallelujah.

I just wish Sunkist's growers would get out of the Delicious apple mindset and start growing different varieties! Tarroco is ten times sweeter and prettier than Moro.

I just wish Sunkist's growers would get out of the Delicious apple mindset and start growing different varieties! Tarroco is ten times sweeter and prettier than Moro.

I don't think of "sweet" as an ideal characteristic of a blood orange. I like tart and intense. I don't know what variety they're selling at TJ's right now. They're not Sunkist, and they're not marked Moro. They come in bags with the Trader Joe's label. The ones I bought yesterday are very good; somewhat larger than last week, now 8 oranges to a 2-lb bag rather than 10, with skin that is plain orange, with no tinge of red. Dark red flesh, juicy, not quite as tart as I like, but tasty. Kiko, my charming dog, likes them too. $2.29 a bag.

Went looking for more blood oranges at the West End TJ's, but they had none. I bought a couple of minneolas as a consolation prize at 69 cents each. Other minneolas I've had this season have been very disappointing, but I've just eaten one that I bought today and I have to say it's among the best citrus fruits I've ever eaten in my life. Thank you TJ.

Out in Rockville, I ended up buying hoards of frozen food for someone who doesn't cook. Pouches of organic brown rice sold next to mixes of barley, brown and black rices and rices with all sorts of flavorings and vegetables. Meatballs. Slices of grilled chicken. Eggplant cutlets and panner saag for vegetarian days. Polenta mixed with spinach and carrots (looks like carrot bits in picture, though ingredients imply there's just juice). Garlic naan. Haricot verts. A recent New Yorker called this "lonely food", but I ended up having fun and could certainly see the appeal. As much as I love farmers markets and cooking with fresh, precious things, I am tempted to try out some of the options myself. Store is clever in making prepared foods seem attractive in ways that frozen depts. in other supermarkets never seem to be.

New products: FRESH Asian noodles:

• thin rice noodles from "Korea"
  • Chinese-style wheat noodles cut sort of like linguine

The latter used to be ubiquitous in supermarkets and WFM, sold next to plastic tubs of tofu. Now that it's perfect weather for peanut noodles, it's great to have these. However, it's frustrating that neither TJ nor WFM bother to sell shelled, raw peanuts.

Thumbs down on the large spinach & ricotta ravioli.

They were out of the dark chocolate sea salt caramels for awhile, but now they are back at the Fairfax store!! I think they are cleaning out their seasonal inventory, though, so it's not likely a permanent addition to the stock. They also have the corn syrupy sea salt caramels in the round box.

Lately I can't get enough of the mini toasts. Those little buggers go with everything and one package disappears very quickly.

We bought enough that we still have one unopened box left. Mr. BLB thinks I should auction it off.

We bought enough that we still have one unopened box left. Mr. BLB thinks I should auction it off.

I have fed my addiction with the black sea salt dark chocolate caramel bars that are sold in flat aqua-colored packages shelved along the way to the check stand at the Foggy Bottom store. They are, if possible, even better than the holiday chocolate-covered sea salt caramels. Best of all, they are available year-round. the chocolate is thin and has a great snap, and the caramel is liquidy, with a sprinkling of fine salt on the back of the bar, versus the big chunks of salt on the holiday candies.

If anyone out there is a coconut fan, I HIGHLY recommend the coconut water ice floes. They look like popsicles but I usually end up eating them with a spoon in a bowl. The ingredients are : coconut water, sugar, coconut cream, coconut shavings. They are amazingly refreshing. As the list of ingreidents would suggest, only big coconut fans will likely enjoy them.

On the downside for those who enjoy eating popsicles by holding the stick..I only have this option about 50% of the time. The melting may be happening on my drive home or in the store, but by the time I eat them they are often rehardened around the base of the stick.

I mentioned this in the Croissants thread, but the frozen mini-croissants at Trader Joe's are astonishingly good, particularly straight out of the oven. You leave them to proof overnight, bake 'em 20 minutes, and they come out marvelously flaky, buttery, and light. Granted, they don't hold up as well if you eat them later on, but these are better than just about any other prepackaged croissant I've come across (and not all that mini!).

I have fed my addiction with the black sea salt dark chocolate caramel bars that are sold in flat aqua-colored packages shelved along the way to the check stand at the Foggy Bottom store. They are, if possible, even better than the holiday chocolate-covered sea salt caramels. Best of all, they are available year-round. the chocolate is thin and has a great snap, and the caramel is liquidy, with a sprinkling of fine salt on the back of the bar, versus the big chunks of salt on the holiday candies.

I tried them and they aren't bad but they don't suit my taste buds as much as the holiday ones. I think we're going to wait until September to open the last box...

I have found that the Trader Joe's pie crusts (in the frozen section) are excellent. Not quite as good as from scratch, but when I want to make a quick pie with all the great fruit from the farmer's market they are truly excellent. I always keep 2-3 in the freezer.

Has anyone besides me tried the Trader Joe's Cheese and Green Chile Tamales, in the freezer case? I bought some on a whim, and they turned out to be really good. I have been served far less meritorious tamales in actual restaurants.

Agree, one of the most reliable and long-offered products in the store.

Why didn't y'all tell me?

I literally JUST ahd them for dinner last night for the first time. They are great. Expectations were blown away.

The best part is that they were great in the microwave, since I didnt want to steam them for 30 mins. Grated some cheese over and served with salsa, great meal.

I also enjoy the frozen mini beef tacos, although I think something might have changed in their recipe recently.

Goodeats? I forgot which brand of toasted seaweed snack you found dull. The wasabi-roasted sesame here is quite punchy. Not nose numbing, but it has more of a kick than I expected, yet the horseradish does not overpower the sesame oil and there is a nice brushing of salt on the slick, papery slivers.

AB: I skipped your post! Am not sure I recall either -- so sorry to have been silent. I think I was complaining about their Wasabi Trail Mix?

Anyhoo, I thought it was great little man tried their sample of the Orange Chicken and then asked to buy a bag. It's his first time trying something and then asking to buy it. First step of consumerism at its best for an almost 6 years old boy.

Anyhoo, I thought it was great little man tried their sample of the Orange Chicken and then asked to buy a bag. It's his first time trying something and then asking to buy it. First step of consumerism at its best for an almost 6 years old boy.

Is that the Mandarin Chicken, in the frozen food section? My husband LOVES that stuff. If I made it for dinner every day of the week, he would probably be completely satisfied. Picked some up on this morning's run, in anticipation of a busy week. It is better than any Chinese take out we can get here (and just as quick and easy), and is way cheaper.

Unrelatedly, I have been reading this thread forever and have been wondering about these dark chocolate sea salt caramels that everyone raves about. Saw them in the holiday treat display today and picked up two boxes. Oh. My. GAWD. I may have to go back tomorrow and stockpile. I also got a box of Dark Chocolate Covered Peppermint Joe Joe's, which are basically dark chocolate covered Oreos with peppermint bark crumbled on top. For a girl who loves anything with mint and chocolate together, it was a happy day.

where did you find the dark chocolate peppermint jojos? i adore these and the 2 stores i've been to both sold out--in november. why oh why don't they make more of these?

Unfortunately, bettyjoan lives in Atlanta (I think that's right). I did see them at the Old Town store a week or so ago. I'll be there in the next day or two and see if they still have them.

where did you find the dark chocolate peppermint jojos? i adore these and the 2 stores i've been to both sold out--in november. why oh why don't they make more of these?

So... the bad news is the Old Town store doesn't have the dark chocolate peppermint joe-joe's on their own.

The good news is they DO have a special assorted package that includes them, along with peanut butter, double chocolate, and another flavor. It's in a round/octagonal box - bottom shelf on the back wall between the bread and the sodas.

The dark chocolate triple ginger cookies are pretty good in a pinch :)