Sly Horse Tavern, Old-Fashioned, Bad American in Village Green in Crofton - Closed

Ended up at the Sly Horse Tavern.

How bad was it? REAL BAD. Fortunately, my friend, who had been there before and so I guess liked it, had a coupon for $20 off so at least it wasn't expensive.

We waited for a table at the bar because the restaurant was full. It's a small place, extremely old fashioned. Our pleasant-enough-but-not-exactly-warm bartender gave us the requested glasses of wine - sauvignon blanc for me and cabernet sauvignon for my friend - filled to the brim for both and ice cold for the white, and then scooted to the opposite end of the bar. In honor of my new job (yes, I'm milking this seemingly), my friend picked up the bar tab so I can't comment on the prices.

From the cheese ball we were served with crackers (not in the same universe as Komi's homemade crackers!) to our appetizer of brie and fruit (served with some sort of raspberry sauce EVERYWHERE and liberally sprinkled with almond slices), this was a great way to help me lose a few pounds before my upcoming vacation. It was all so nasty that I had no interest in that "one more bite."

We both selected beef for our entrees, particularly after learning that they were out of almost all of the other specials (we sat down around 6:45, mind you). Mine came with a sickeningly sweet wine reduction and gorgonzola as well as mashed potatoes (which weren't great) and chopped zucchini.

We passed on dessert. Thanks to the coupon, we paid $28 each while tipping about 18% on the pre-discounted amount. Still, it was a total waste, and I hope I never cross the Sly Horse's threshhold again!

Ended up at the Sly Horse Tavern.

How bad was it? REAL BAD. Fortunately, my friend, who had been there before and so I guess liked it, had a coupon for $20 off so at least it wasn't expensive.

We waited for a table at the bar because the restaurant was full. It's a small place, extremely old fashioned. Our pleasant-enough-but-not-exactly-warm bartender gave us the requested glasses of wine - sauvignon blanc for me and cabernet sauvignon for my friend - filled to the brim for both and ice cold for the white, and then scooted to the opposite end of the bar. In honor of my new job (yes, I'm milking this seemingly), my friend picked up the bar tab so I can't comment on the prices.

From the cheese ball we were served with crackers (not in the same universe as Komi's homemade crackers!) to our appetizer of brie and fruit (served with some sort of raspberry sauce EVERYWHERE and liberally sprinkled with almond slices), this was a great way to help me lose a few pounds before my upcoming vacation. It was all so nasty that I had no interest in that "one more bite."

We both selected beef for our entrees, particularly after learning that they were out of almost all of the other specials (we sat down around 6:45, mind you). Mine came with a sickeningly sweet wine reduction and gorgonzola as well as mashed potatoes (which weren't great) and chopped zucchini. 

We passed on dessert. Thanks to the coupon, we paid $28 each while tipping about 18% on the pre-discounted amount. Still, it was a total waste, and I hope I never cross the Sly Horse's threshhold again! 

When I moved to the DC area in '92, the Sly Horse Tavern salad was widely considered to be the best salad in the area. Did you have the salad or see anyone else eating one?

I live nowhere near Crofton so I'll never be tempted to eat there but I'm curious about this once-legendary salad.

My entree came with a salad; my friend's did not. I gave her mine. The young waitress said "we're known for our salad."

It came out looking very unspectacular - a tiny salad plate of ordinary lettuce drenched in a brownish dressing of some sort. She ate about half of it. Didn't say much.

Sly Horse Tavern closed awhile back:

"Sly Horse Closes, New Restaurant On The Way" by Tim Lemke on patch.com

This was supposed to have been a new restaurant owned by the same folks who own The Point Crabhouse in Arnold, but I don't believe it ever came to fruition - the property appears to have been listed for awhile, but now, I can find no information about it, certainly not about a restaurant there.