Boston and Cambridge, MA

Le Soir in Newton Highlands, which was a very good neighborhood restaurant, has been replaced by 51 Lincoln, which is a very good neighborhood restaurant.

Irrelevant detail. According to FBI crime statistics, Newton was the safest city in America in 2003, 2004 and 2005. It fell to fourth place in 2006, though, after a resident merging onto Rt. 9 gave another driver the finger.

In my recent trips, I like to go out Cambridge Street, past Sanders Theater, to the string of Portuguese places that have sprung up in that neighborhood. There are no chains here, service is personal (often by families), and the seafood, especially the bacalhão, is delicious.

Under the recommendation of my Boston-born father-in-law and my nostalgic wife, we ventured to No Name's Restaurant on the pier of South Boston. A city landmark since 1917, this is supposedly the place for great "chowda" and simple seafood right on the water. There is no pretension here, with the waiters wiping down the tables for you by wetting the napkins with the pitcher of water on each table and pushing all the residual fish parts and fried batter crumbs onto the floor and chairs you're about to sit on. In many ways, my kinda place. With all the framed plaques boasting it as "Best Seafood in Boston" with occassionally no qualification of it as the winner of the cheap eat" category, obviously this is many people's kind of place, too.

But the food was just aweful. I knew I was in trouble immediately when very little on the hand-written and then reproduced menu actuallylooked decent. You essentially have two options for your cooked seafood: fried or broiled with butter. If the seasoning or other flavor enhancer you seek or expect isn't captured in the butter or the frying oil, you're not going to get it in or on your food. We both ordered cups of the The famous seafood chowder, whose flavor was dominated by a fishy pungence instead of the expected richness of cream and butter. The most difficult thing for me, though, was the texture of the stringy yet overcooked fish that replaced the clams I prefer in my chowder. For an entree, I picked the least offensive item, the fried oysters. I actually picked fairly well because I didn't hate the heavily battered and underseasoned gooey globs, since they were cooked fairly well. They just didn't have any flavor. My wife. on the other hand, got a combination of broiled swordfish and scallops that was difficult to eat. The scallops weren't "offensive" but she barely touched the big slab of swordfish b/c it, too, had a strong fishy flavor. Exactly what you don't expect from a seafood restaurant perched next to where all the fresh fish comes into Boston.

My wife was less dissatisfied with our experience b/c she has so many fond memories from her childhood of visiting her grandparents in Boston and enjoying a filling meal over lively conversation with the extended family. But even she admitted that now she realizes the food is not good and that it must have been an unoffensive backdrop that didn't interfere with the comany present. But I guess this place will always hold an important place in Bostonian's hearts: We took a pint of the chowda to Alison's 97-year-old grandmother so that she could eat it for dinner the third time this week. And she loved it.

Pax,

Brian

Am headed to Boston tomorrow for work very last minute. Have to pull of a moderately expensive business dinner for three tomorrow night. Any suggestions on good places that might not be booked full? We'll all be in the city proper, on the waterfront by the convention center. Thanks in advance for any help!

Morning all, although this post never garnered a reply I am hoping someone can be of help now. I need to host a business dinner in Boston later this year and am looking for ideas. Looking around 150 per head, about 12 people and would love a private room. Going to be out at Harvard Med Ctr on Avenue Louis Pasteur (where else) so something in Back Bay would be ideal. I have spent some time in Boston and adore Craigie St, Central Kitchen, No. 9 Park, etc but none really convenient or appropriate. Any help would be SEROUSLY appreciated!

Under the recommendation of my Boston-born father-in-law and my nostalgic wife, we ventured to No Name's Restaurant on the pier of South Boston. A city landmark since 1917, this is supposedly the place for great "chowda" and simple seafood right on the water. There is no pretension here, with the waiters wiping down the tables for you by wetting the napkins with the pitcher of water on each table and pushing all the residual fish parts and fried batter crumbs onto the floor and chairs you're about to sit on. In many ways, my kinda place. With all the framed plaques boasting it as "Best Seafood in Boston" with occassionally no qualification of it as the winner of the cheap eat" category, obviously this is many people's kind of place, too.

But the food was just aweful. I knew I was in trouble immediately when very little on the hand-written and then reproduced menu actuallylooked decent.

Wow... if only I had remembered these comments before I went here. Yeah, this place was surprisingly crummy. I had thought that given the menu was short, it would have been tastier. Having salmon on the menu really should have been telltale.

The spot is near the new BCEC (Boston Convention and Exhibition Center) - a spot that has very few restaurants. The largest crowd was at the 7-11, if that says anything. If you do happen to be at the BCEC I would suggest Pressed, which is a panini shop near the Legal Seafood Test Kitchen. Also, during the course of a few meals during the conference, the Westin Waterfront turned out to have some good food. Though avoid the table of sandwiches in the atrium; they are gross.

More updates about Boston later.

The spot is near the new BCEC (Boston Convention and Exhibition Center) - a spot that has very few restaurants.

Near the Westin (and therefore in the area of the BCEC), I liked the Daily Catch in the Moakley Federal Courthouse/Harborwalk. Lunch and dinner during the summer, but limited hours in the winter. When I was there, I did not realize the Legal Seafood Test Kitchen was nearby but it was recommended to me after I left Boston.

I went to Wagamama at Faneuil Hall for lunch. Decided to get an array of things. Duck gyoza with cherry-hoisin sauce. The gyoza were deep fried but not too greasy. Nice chunks of breast meat tucked inside and the cherry hoisin sauce was a nice touch without being overpowering, as I find hoisin sauce has a tendency to be. Edamame with chili-garlic salt was good, but how is it possible to mess it up? The chili beef ramen was reminiscent of pho, with onions, coriander, bean sprouts, chili and limes. The beef was awesome, but I found the broth lacking. I really wanted it to have the piquancy and savoryness of pho, but I realize that Japanese cuisine tends to be a little more subtle. The noodles were yummy and are freshly made. Mmm...

I also made a visit to Border Cafe in Harvard Square. I was a bit nervous, since it's a mini-chain with one location out in Centreville. As far as I can tell the flagship is very much like it always was. Good chips and salsa - just like I remembered from 10 years ago. I'm sure the food isn't authentic, but I still find it darned tasty. The beef enchilada with brisket was juicy and saucy - not dried out like I tend to find in DC. The soft taco was also filled with the same yummy brisket. It is not the classiest or most refined food, but I love it and it's still the way I remember it.

I'm excited for some Tosci's ice cream today!

last minute HELP needed.

Need to host a business dinner for 6-8 THIS Monday night, within walking distance (or a short cab ride) of the Westin Boston Waterfront (425 Summer Street ). Mostly government folks, so to keep the per diem down probably need entrees at $20 or below.

Any ideas? Reasonably chow-friendly crowd.

THANKS!

Sunset Grill & Tap in Allston - just a little up the road from Cambridge... 112 beers on tap, 112 tequilas, lots and lots of bottles. It is vaguely insane. Didn't try the food, but hello! 112 beers on tap! They do some reasonably priced flights of beer on different themes - local, pumpkin (which I am guessing is seasonal), fruit, hops, etc.

Sunset Grill & Tap in Allston - just a little up the road from Cambridge... 112 beers on tap, 112 tequilas, lots and lots of bottles. It is vaguely insane. Didn't try the food, but hello! 112 beers on tap! They do some reasonably priced flights of beer on different themes - local, pumpkin (which I am guessing is seasonal), fruit, hops, etc.

sweet potato fries. Sunset Grill makes me happy.

Well Taiwan Cafe is really good Taiwanese. It's in Chinatown.

This was the perfect choice. A nice 20 minute walk from the hotel was a good stress reducer and appetite builder after a long day of meetings. And while I think I regularly have better Taiwanese at Bob's Noodle 66 in Rockville, the food was still very good. A groaning table of food with plenty of leftovers (that we couldn't take home, of course) was less than $20/person after tax and tip.

Highlights included xiao long bao, cold spicy beef tendon, tofu casserole with chinese bacon, sauteed eggplant with basil, and bbq ribs w/sauteed spinach. The lion's head meatballs, vegetable dumplings, and ja jiang mein were just ok. The fish dish we had was not fresh.

My wife's family has pretty deep ties to the North End (her great-grandfather helped start a pasta company), and Saturday we were hanging out with her 97-year-old-grandmother, who was teaching me how to make her famous ricotta pie, and she reminded me that the family's favorite pastry shop in the North End is Modern Pastry. I guess Mike's Pastry is bigger and more famous, but the family swears by the cookies and cannolis at Modern. I've tried both and both are damn good. Just a though for those in the area next time...

Pax,

Brian

My wife's family has pretty deep ties to the North End (her great-grandfather helped start a pasta company), and Saturday we were hanging out with her 97-year-old-grandmother, who was teaching me how to make her famous ricotta pie, and she reminded me that the family's favorite pastry shop in the North End is Modern Pastry. I guess Mike's Pastry is bigger and more famous, but the family swears by the cookies and cannolis at Modern. I've tried both and both are damn good. Just a though for those in the area next time...

Pax,

Brian

I would guess that most Bostonians prefer the Modern...

Went to The Butcher Shop tonight. Love the seasonal menu. We had some nice pates and the wine of the day that was a lot like the fizzy wine at 2 Amys. They had a special of cassoulet, which was great against the cool, foggy night. So tasty. Big flageolot beans rather than the smaller white beans that usually come with it. Chunks of fatty pork, really awesome duck leg confit sprinkled with what I think was panko so it was browned and a little crusty on top. Awesome.

In the beginning they gave us some soda bread with this fantastic unfiltered honey from Vermont. Soooo good. Small space, but awesome.

Sadly I was too tired to head over to B&G for oysters last night and ended up at Summer Shack. I had read that they have some decent oysters. I don't know if it is an Atlantic oyster thing or just bad luck, but everything I had was extremely iodine-y and salty. There was none of the delicate sweetness that I usually like. And I agree with Don, but they were all way too large, nearly two-bite oysters, for most of the ones I tried. Are smaller sweeter? Or was I just unlucky?

I had lunch at Osushi in the Westin, twice. The second time because I was a little lazy. The first time the rice was pretty atrocious - hard and tough. The second time I simply avoided things with rice. Since I sat at the sushi bar, I had the privilege or perhaps issue of watching the sushi chef work. Any time I watch non-traditional sushi chefs work, I find myself not wanting to eat anymore. This was very much the case. I'm sure I could see worse if I was actually in the kitchen, but I try not to think about it. You would think that being on exhibit would cause the person to be more careful or seem less haphazard, but apparently it does not make a big difference.

Sadly I was too tired to head over to B&G for oysters last night and ended up at Summer Shack. I had read that they have some decent oysters. I don't know if it is an Atlantic oyster thing or just bad luck, but everything I had was extremely iodine-y and salty. There was none of the delicate sweetness that I usually like. And I agree with Don, but they were all way too large, nearly two-bite oysters, for most of the ones I tried. Are smaller sweeter? Or was I just unlucky?

I have been to Summer Shack I think 3 times, but have never gotten oysters. Their chowder and fried whole belly clams are very good, though.

Petit Robert Bistro at 480 Columbus was absolutely mind-blowing when the Mrs. and I had dinner there last weekend. Friendly and highly attentive service from start to finish from every employee you encounter...bar to table. Such delicious food at unbelievable bargain prices. My starter of smoked marinated herring fillets over warm potato salad started things off right. (Well, the bottle of Gigondas we began drinking at the bar while waiting for our table was actually the best start). The herring was lightly smoked and moist and the warm potato salad was a perfect balance between potato (large chunks served warm, as described) and the creamy dressing that constitutes the "salad" part of potato salad. The seared sweetbreads in a leek mustard sauce I had as an entree was perhaps the best plate of sweetbreads I've ever eaten. Incredibly crispy outside with a melt in your mouth, creamy inside. I'm told the desserts were wonderful, but we opted for the liquid dessert instead....starting with the absinthe. Not sure what happened after that.......

The front room is small, and home to the bar which has about 7-9 seats. There are also several tables here. The room can be quite loud and if you're waiting for a table, you're essentially standing amongst all the other tables in the area. It can get rather crowded. The back room was quieter and more intimate with candlelit tables and white tablecloths. Perfect for an intimate evening.

Despite the fact that they were mobbed AND I accidentally made my reservation for their other property on Commonwealth Ave, they made us feel at home the moment we walked into the door. I'd go back there in a flash. And plan to next time I'm in Boston in early May. In fact, I'm hoping to find a place to stay that's only a short walk away so I can eat all my meals there! (A friend ate the night before at their Commonwealth Ave property and had the same rave review).

And Jake, thanks for the Bukowski's tip. Niiiiiice bar.

And Jake, thanks for the Bukowski's tip. Niiiiiice bar.

Yea, Bukowski's was exactly what the dr. ordered after a night of tasting extreme beers. Which is why I ended up going to both locations that night.

Also, I'll throw in a recommendation for B&G Oysters. I went in expecting a more relaxed neighborhood atmosphere, but it's more upscale than that (and the prices reflect that). $2.50 oysters (but they were delicious and there were 10 or so varieties to choose from) and an awesome plate of parsley gnocchi ($10 i think?) with escargot and a sherry cream. A nice meal.

For good and cheap, I recommend Pho Pasteur. From the original tiny Chinatown hole-in-the-wall, they have since expanded to multiple locations, including Harvard Square, Newbury Street, and others out in the 'burbs.

If you're feeling adventurous, try a durian shake.

Had a really enjoyable dinner with some cousins at Stella in South Boston tonight. This was a busy place and packed the entire time we were there with plenty of pretty people at the bar and very loud music. They advertise as being affordable chic Italian. They claim to be in SoWA but I just can't bring myself to say it out loud because that sounds like someone slurring so what? and that just doesn't seem like great marketing. But I digress.

A nice summery salad of arugula and endive lightly :lol: dressed with a lemon vinaigrette to start. I followed this with a plate of the largest gnocchi I have ever seen. More then twice the size of your typical gnocchi. I was afraid they'd be heavy but they were light, creamy, with a hint of a crust where they'd been sauteed with tomatos and basil for a hint of a sauce. My cousin raved about her swordfish and her husband was very happy with his tagliatelle bolognese. Only complaint of the night was a small service issue -- it took three requests for butter for our bread. Very enjoyable, not too pricey for the area and an overall good dinner.

Sunday night after the movers left at 7:30, I needed to fortify myself before attacking the unpacking and, unfortunately, documenting the damage to my stuff. I went a few doors down to the Garden at the Cellar (Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge). This is a self-proclaimed gastropub and the young chef's father runs an herb farm in Groton that also has weekend tasting menu dinners. I met one of the herb farm staff at the campus farmers market and was looking forward to trying this place I'd walked passed daily without really noticing it. I sat at the bar and got the soup and salad -- a pea shoot salad lightly dressed with a hit of mustard and pea soup with pork rillettes. Maybe because it is summer, I expected a chilled soup and was surprised when it was hot. It was very rich and the salad was a good complement but I found it a bit too much. With a Magner's cider and tax and tip I had a refreshing dinner for $14. They have an extensive bar menu with many options for a good, reasonably priced meal.

Last night, I met up with some classmates for drinks and went with a few to the regional Indian restaurant Tanjore (18 Eliot St, Cambridge, right in Harvard Square) afterwards for dinner. The four of us split samosas and chaat papri appetizers, 2 orders of naan, and mains of lamb masala, baigan bhurta, and chicken chettinad. The standout for me was the chicken as coconut curries are my favorite. The eggplant was a little bland and the one disappointment. With one beer and one mango lassi it came to $20 per person including tax and tip.

I'm enjoying being back in a college area where there are multiple decent dining choices that won't break a student's budget.

On the urging of my sister-in-law, we went to Radius for our one Boston splurge this week. My sister-in-law, a serious foodie, had just been to Radius 2 weeks earlier for an orgiastic anniversary dinner and couldn't rave enough about the place. My wife and I both found the food inventive, delicious, and satisfying. Standout dish of the night was my wife's shrimp gnocchi that makes Frank Ruta's seem like lead bullets. A close second would be my amazing "nutty buddy"-like dessert--dark chocolate cone stuffed with chocolate mouse, fenugreek ice cream, chopped nuts and currants, and a dollop of carmel. I also appreciated their flexibility b/c they allowed me to get the four course tasting menu and allowed my wife to get a appetizer and entree. can also remember that they served at least three other tastings from an amuse to pinafores to everyone at the table. My favorite was the carrot and ginger sorbet resembling a carrot. Drinks were impressive and reminded me of Px in both price and inventiveness. Service really was excellent, too. When you order either the 4 or 7 course tasting, the menu informs you that the dishes are at the whim of the chef and any diner's allergies, but upon asking, the waiter informed me that the standard approach to the four is raw seafood, cooked seafood, meat entree, and dessert. He also helped my wife decide on her entree based on her tastes, choices, and appetizer selection--and then said, "I'll surprise you--if that's ok?" It was, and he chose the scallops wisely. Great night and recommendation by my sister-in-law.

Pax,

Brian

I've hit Berryline (1 Arrow St, Cambridge) twice so far. It is a Pinkberry-type-yogurt place. I didn't love the blackberry I had the other day, but the original with strawberries I had tonight was excellent. The light tang of the yogurt was set off by the sweet fruit without the fruit being too sweet. My dining companion got a candy topping and thought it was too much.

On the urging of my sister-in-law, we went to Radius for our one Boston splurge this week...

Well, it looks like you will not have to travel quite so far to get Patrick Connolly's creations. According to the New York Times, he is taking over the helm of Bobo in Greenwich Village. Hopefully for Bobo, Connolly will be able to succeed where his two predecessors could not.

Had a lovely brunch today at Sel de la Terre (255 State Street, Boston) right on the water across from the New England Aquarium. We had a group of 12 so we wanted a place that would take reservations and have a good location for an afternoon of exploring. A nice blend of breakfat, lunch and bridging the gap items. Several complained that the portions seemed small, but I thought that was just relative to the too large portions we are used to seeing. I had two poached eggs over turkey hash with a touch of hollandaise. At your typical brunch, you would have been served 2-3 times as much hash. It was very good and I would have eaten more if it were there, but I would have been a lot less happy walking across town. It came with a small wedge of what was called butter-roasted cornbread but seemed more like a dense corn pudding in terms of texture. It was the highlight of the meal with a nice contrast of rich texture but light, fresh corn taste.

Enjoyed a nice lunch today on the patio at Gran Gusto on Sherman St in Cambridge. I had the caprese pizza with buffalo mozzarella, cherry tomatos and basil. I'd put it a half-notch below 2Amys which, in my mind, makes it darn good pizza. They had an interesting selection of meats, salads, and small plates as well. A guy at the next table had the baked gnocchi that looked fantastic.

Long Labor Day weekend in Boston was highlighted by good eats.

Chez Henri in Cambridge has everything you want in a college-area bistro: good, reasonably priced food and wine (we ate in the bar area) and a relaxing atmosphere. The name belies the fact that the menu has a lot of Cuban-flavored dishes.

Masa had really delicious, strongly-flavored southwestern foods; palate-wakening flavor combinations. Be sure to try the habanero pepper and watermelon margarita!

B&G Oysters was crowded and a bit rushed, but the oysters were fantastic (even at $2.50 each) and our group had fun devouring a shared platter of fritto misto that included impeccably fried calamari, clams, oysters, and cod. Wine list struck us as on the excessively pricey side.

I’ll echo previous posters’ enjoyment of Bukoski’s. Terrific selection of beers in the bottle and on tap; nicely done burgers; engaging playlist on the bartender’s iPod. Happily, it was just down the street from our hotel.

Had a fantastic lunch at Rami's at 324 Harvard St in Brookline. My shwarma was loaded with chunks of juicy, well-seasoned lamb, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, a smear of hummos and a healthy drizzle of tahini all on a freshly-made pita. As much as I wanted to keep eating because it was so delicious, it was just too much. Just a few steps from the Coolidge Corner T stop on the Cleveland Cricle green line.

I am going to Boston in a couple of weeks for a girls weekend and not to be cliche but we want to get some great lobster. Somewhere fun with entrees around $20-$30. I'm not that familiar with the city but we are staying between Boston Common and Beacon Hill and we are happy to go anywhere in the city.

We are also going to Nantucket for a day so if anyone has suggestions for good food please share.

Thanks!

I am going to Boston in a couple of weeks for a girls weekend and not to be cliche but we want to get some great lobster. Somewhere fun with entrees around $20-$30. I'm not that familiar with the city but we are staying between Boston Common and Beacon Hill and we are happy to go anywhere in the city.

We are also going to Nantucket for a day so if anyone has suggestions for good food please share.

Thanks!

City of Boston, great lobster, and entrees $20-$30 is going to be difficult. Which 2 of the 3 criteria would you prefer be met?

I haven't been yet but have been asking around in preparation for a lobster splurge after my first module is done. Many have recommended Neptune more for lobster roll then whole lobster as it has the advantage of a cold lobster with mayo roll or a warm lobster with butter roll to satisfy all types. And, if you are willing to go the roll route, you might want to check out James Hook which is operating in a temporary building after their old place burned down. They are more fish market then restaurant but they put out a nice lobster roll. If this is too downscale, maybe do this for lunch and dinner elsewhere in your price point.

City of Boston, great lobster, and entrees $20-$30 is going to be difficult. Which 2 of the 3 criteria would you prefer be met?

Deffinitely Boston and Lobster! I was thinking entrees around $20- $30 to clarify that we are looking to go somewhere nicer than a casual seafood shack (which of course I also love, but for another time). I certainly expect to pay more for the lobster!