Chocolates

Pete

Don't take these comments TOO seriously...I only had room to taste a few pieces.

Moonstruck Chocolates: C. Portland, OR. Fancypants shapes, makes a pretty gift basket, tasty but not awe-inspiring. Not much contrast between ganache and couverture in the novelty truffles.

MarieBelle Chocolates: A. New York, NY. Following the spice trend, with small square sugar-printed pieces (although still not as pretty as Jason's!). Absolutely loved the cardamom flavor; the filling was aromatic enough to tease the nose even before the first bite.

Tumbador Chocolates: B+. Brooklyn, NY. Also small squares. Good salt-caramel pieces.

For NY:

MarieBelle is great, and has a fabulous presentation as well. Unfortunately haven't seen them much in the area.

Kee's Chocolates is a nice little shop. Everything is made in small batches, so if you get there late (as we did) there won't be much left. Very nice however.

Of course there is always Jacques Torres. Personally, I find the actual bars lackluster, but the truffles are up there among my favorites.

In the metro DC area:

Balducci's does carry a selection of Vosgues bars, with relatively decent prices. They do also have a selection of the Michel Cuizel single origin bars. Curious Grape is my stop for chocolate though. Their Valrhona single origin bars still remain my favorties.

For truffles, Dean and DeLuca has a nice selection of Christopher Norman, Chocolate Moderne and Rechhiuti truffles. They come out to ~1.25 each, which is about what they cost out in the Ferry Building of SF.

Has anyone found a shop in the area that carries Dolfin Chocolate?

Dolfin is a Belgium chocolate with fantastic flavors. My favorite is 'Hot Masala'. It's not spicy hot, but warm with cardamom, cinnamon and clove. It's fabu! I have found it online, but not at retail.

Dolfin is a Belgium chocolate with fantastic flavors. My favorite is 'Hot Masala'. It's not spicy hot, but warm with cardamom, cinnamon and clove. It's fabu! I have found it online, but not at retail.

Try Biagio on 18th St. NW between Florida and T. My favorites are the pink peppercorn and the Earl Grey.

Or, if you ever get up to Baltimore, I believe they carry Dolfin at Ma Petite Chou, a sweet little store in Hampden which has shoes in the front and chocolate in the back. Very, very dangerous.

I'm pretty sure you can get it at Whole Foods.

I'm looking to get some very high quality dark chocolate bars for my boyfriend for his upcoming birthday. I read about Valrhona's estate chocolates in Wine Spectator, and have also seen a recommendation for the Michel Cluizel Noir de Cacao in a Chow report on a chocolate tasting. Then again, a report in the SF Gate rated Dagoba the best readily available chocolate and I've never been impressed with their chocolates at all (chalky!) so I'm not sure how much faith I can put in online reports.

Does anyone have any feedback on these, or recommendations for other ones to get?

I'm looking to get some very high quality dark chocolate bars for my boyfriend for his upcoming birthday. I read about Valrhona's estate chocolates in Wine Spectator, and have also seen a recommendation for the Michel Cluizel Noir de Cacao in a Chow report on a chocolate tasting. Then again, a report in the SF Gate rated Dagoba the best readily available chocolate and I've never been impressed with their chocolates at all (chalky!) so I'm not sure how much faith I can put in online reports.

Does anyone have any feedback on these, or recommendations for other ones to get?

What about something more interesting, Vosges chocolates perhaps?

What about something more interesting, Vosges chocolates perhaps?

We've already had those. I bought him the bacon and chocolate for his birthday last year (and I love the smoked almonds and sea salt bar). :P

Local is a possibility. We're both very into supporting our local businesses and I eat local/organic meats and produce 95% of the time, but I guess I wanted to go with the well-known higher end bars. I'll keep the local option in mind. May have to stop by for a taste testing beforehand. :)

It's tough to beat a Sacher torte flown in from Austria for your Austrian boyfriend. I mean, where do you go from there? :lol:

We've already had those. I bought him the bacon and chocolate for his birthday last year (and I love the smoked almonds and sea salt bar). :P

Local is a possibility. We're both very into supporting our local businesses and I eat local/organic meats and produce 95% of the time, but I guess I wanted to go with the well-known higher end bars. I'll keep the local option in mind. May have to stop by for a taste testing beforehand. :)

It's tough to beat a Sacher torte flown in from Austria for your Austrian boyfriend. I mean, where do you go from there? :lol:

I am a huge fan of the bourbon and whisky flavored chocolates at Artisan Confections. Make sure you try some of those. And the hot chocolate drink mix as well!

Michel Cluizel Noir de Cacao is verrrry good, but is is a bar and doesn't make a grand gift presentation. Michel Cluizel also makes a beautiful array of decadent bonbons for an impressive and memorable display. My favorites include the Champignon Caramel, salted caramel, Cappuccinos, Pochon Truffes and the single origin Concepcion from Venezuela.

The Academy of Chocolate in London has this to say:

http://www.academyofchocolate.org.uk/acade...wards/2008.html

I am remiss in not having visited the fine chocolatiers in DC except for Co Co. Sala and ACKC on 14th NW. I'm distracted by the Michel Cluizel's I can get in Annapolis.

A day of chocolate in DC is a worthy mission. I will make it soon. Looking forward to Artisan Confections. I want to take one of their classes.

Michel Cluizel Noir de Cacao is verrrry good, but is is a bar and doesn't make a grand gift presentation. Michel Cluizel also makes a beautiful array of decadent bonbons for an impressive and memorable display. My favorites include the Champignon Caramel, salted caramel, Cappuccinos, Pochon Truffes and the single origin Concepcion from Venezuela.

I went to the Cluziel retail store in NYC and did a fair bit of sampling, and while I can say that the chocolate was technically very very good, for me it was, shall we say... too good. The chocolate was very very pure, and very smooth, and as a result was not at all complex on the palate. It was like just hitting one key on an exquisite piano.

Give me Andelman chocolate any day of the week over the Cluizel.

Awww. You all are so kind.

Another suggestion for the poster looking for some fine chocolate, go to Biagio Chocolate at 18th and T. They have a great selection of high-end bars, bon-bons, caramels, etc... The owners are very knowledgeable and can definitely steer you in the right direction for all of your chocolate needs. They sell our chocolates there as well....

Good luck.

QUOTE (Treva @ Dec 5 2008, 11:14 AM) *

I went to the Cluziel retail store in NYC and did a fair bit of sampling, and while I can say that the chocolate was technically very very good, for me it was, shall we say... too good. The chocolate was very very pure, and very smooth, and as a result was not at all complex on the palate. It was like just hitting one key on an exquisite piano.

Hmm, your comments actually make me think DBF would like these bars. Go figure. :lol: DBF is really only interested in bars - he'll eat bars that have spices added (we really like the Dolgin cardamom and white pepper for instance) and he likes those Vosges bars that were mentioned earlier, but his true love is a bar of very good, very dark chocolate. He'll even occasionally nibble on 100% bars, which I just can't handle.

I was initially drawn to the Valrhona estate chocolates because of the presentation (they come in a wooden box), but I can't seem to find them anywhere (they're all sold out) so I've resigned myself to having to make my own packaging anyway. I think right now I'm leaning toward a sampling of darks from Cluizel, Valrhona, and Amedei (thanks for the link to the Academy of Chocolate awards article btw).

I'm really glad to see all these links to local chocolate shops - I had no idea. Sadly there will be no time to visit them between now and his birthday so I think I'll be doing all of my ordering online, but I'm making notes for future occasions. Thanks for all of the input so far, this has been helpful!

Chocolate Chocolate relocated to Conn Ave between L and M (across from Filenes, kind of tucked away in an alcove now). Bigger selection than Chocolate Moose, not necessarily better quality, though.

Or go up 18th to Biagio; west side of the street catty corner to Lauriol. Down the stairs on the basement level. I think they're the best in the neighborhood.

If you are closer to Logan, ACKC on 14th is a good choice.

Or go up 18th to Biagio; west side of the street catty corner to Lauriol. Down the stairs on the basement level. I think they're the best in the neighborhood.
They have an interesting selection, or you can go a block and a half further to Florida Avenue, make a right and then a quick left to first side street to Locolat. Their mojito chocolate is addicting, as is their passionfruit chocolate-dipped meringue cookie.

Fleurir Chocolates is selling at 3 local farmers markets; Alexandria's West End, Old Town and Ballston.

From the Fleurir website:

Literally meaning to bloom, Fleurir hand grown chocolates, is a new style of chocolate shop. Combining classic techniques with a contemporary perspective, Robert Ludlow is the 24-year-old chef behind the chocolates. He began his culinary career by working with small, ingredient driven restaurants such as the Laurier Café and attending culinary school at the Art Institute of Houston. Wanting to hone his skills even further he was admitted into the Le Cordon Bleu program in Sydney Australia, earning the Grand Dipolme and mastering the arts of both cuisine and pastry.

Upon returning to the United States, Robert began working for Gearhart’s Fine Chocolates in Charlottesville, Virginia, and though he always enjoyed chocolate work, he had not actually considered it for a career until this point. At Gearhart’s, Robert worked under the guidance of Tim Gearhart, named one of the top twenty artisan chocolatiers in the nation. Eventually, Robert began to experiment with his own flavors, and what he offers today is a chocolate that begs its consumer to recall the inherent delicacy and verve of the confection. Using only the freshest cream, butter and other ingredients, each hand made chocolate represents the cheerful and inspiring nature of spring.

I spoke with Ludlow (at the West End market), who was very excited to launch his business. He would like to open a shop in Old Town (yay!), somewhere along King St. or nearby. I sampled the chocolates, and they are as tasty as they are beautiful. "Cheesecake" and "carrotcake" were ganache filled, and had the taste and texture of their namesake cakes. The chocolates are $2 a piece, and come in smart, attractive packaging.

$22 a pound via www.Leonidas-Chocolate.com now through Oct 7, 2009. These are damned good chocolates at their normal price. At $22, they will make someone in your life very happy. Maybe that someone will even share with you. Or maybe that someone is you. After all, a pound or two of chocolates will probably bring you more joy than that trip to the masseuse.

I've used Leonidas chocolates for corporate gift-giving for the last 10+ years and they've never screwed up an order. They're also happy to create selections that aren't on the web site; we usually order a 1 lb ballotin of all darks for my milk chocolate-hating family.

Did a quick comparison this week and found that Giant's prices for the Nestle Aero (chocolate and mint chocolate at $1.29) were $0.55 less than the Clarendon British Goods store's price ($1.75). For that matter, most of the goods at that store were $1.75, which is a bit higher than some of the other places that I've seen the Cadbury Flake or Cadbury Chocolate Finger cookies.

However, the most expensive place to buy goodies are at Devon & Blakely, which charges, I think, $3-something for a UK Kit Kat. Humph.

Can't remember what Eamonn's charges for some, but I am definitely on a Europe chocolate kick...

Where do you all like to go?

Did a quick comparison this week and found that Giant's prices for the Nestle Aero (chocolate and mint chocolate at $1.29) were $0.55 less than the Clarendon British Goods store's price ($1.75). For that matter, most of the goods at that store were $1.75, which is a bit higher than some of the other places that I've seen the Cadbury Flake or Cadbury Chocolate Finger cookies.

However, the most expensive place to buy goodies are at Devon & Blakely, which charges, I think, $3-something for a UK Kit Kat. Humph.

Can't remember what Eamonn's charges for some, but I am definitely on a Europe chocolate kick...

Where do you all like to go?

Rodman's.

I stopped by Chocolate Chocolate, the small shop owned by the Park sisters on Connecticut Ave Friday to get my Vosges fix--- a couple of Barcelona bars and some exotic caramels (Red Sea salt and bitter orange),and picked up some fresh chocolate-covered marshmallow squares and chocolate-covered pretzels.

And FYI, mention the Washingtonian anytime this month and get 15% off your purchase. :angry:

Since the girlfriend is from Mexico I'm going to attempt to make a mole for her (this should be interesting to say the least). You think that either Biago or ACKC carries just plain Mexican bittersweet chocolate?

She's not a blonde!?! I'm so proud-I want pics.

Have you checked out the Latino grocery stores in Mt. Pleasant?

Different thought I think still on topic for this thread.

Do people know or like Taza Chocolate?

I most notice their distinctive, Mexican-style "wheels" for sale at Peregrine Espresso (Cap Hill, 14th St and Union Market).  We have some of our best hot chocolate results with their vanilla chocolate.  Lots and lots of different flavors.  Great quality.

This is a company with a serious conscience too.  They're located just outside Boston in Cambridge (Kendall Square). We took their tour last year and it was one of the more interesting, engaging and eye-opening food-related tours we'd taken in the last year or two.

Do people know or like Taza Chocolate?

Yes, I know it, and no, I don't like it (I've tried most of the flavors).  It seems like good quality, but I just don't care for it.

I make hot cocoa with Valrhona powder, sugar, and whole milk.  Sometimes I'll put some Valrhona chocolate in it.  Various spices or vanilla or booze according to whim.  Nothing comes close to being as good.

Yes, I know it, and no, I don't like it (I've tried most of the flavors). It seems like good quality, but I just don't care for it. I make hot cocoa with Valrhona powder, sugar, and whole milk. Sometimes I'll put some Valrhona chocolate in it. Various spices or vanilla or booze according to whim. Nothing comes close to being as good.

Interesting. I had noticed it many times but never bought some until we took the tour in Cambridge. In the tour, they explain why it has a slightly grittier texture (a main complaint) which has something (admirable maybe?) to do with the small-batch manufacturing process they use for a principled reason I'm now forgetting. We don't use it too much for eating but do like it for hot cocoa. With their 70% products, you don't even need to add sugar. That said, I'll definitely give you Vahlrona approach a try. I'm sure that's great.

Interesting. I had noticed it many times but never bought some until we took the tour in Cambridge. In the tour, they explain why it has a slightly grittier texture (a main complaint) which has something (admirable maybe?) to do with the small-batch manufacturing process they use for a principled reason I'm now forgetting. We don't use it too much for eating but do like it for hot cocoa. With their 70% products, you don't even need to add sugar. That said, I'll definitely give you Vahlrona approach a try. I'm sure that's great.

It is great, but entirely different from the Taza/Ibarra style hot chocolate.

Mix a heaping spoonful of Valrhona cocoa with two-ish spoonfuls of sugar in a mug.  Add a little cold milk and stir well to make a lumpless paste.  Add flavorings (a touch of vanilla and some cinnamon, or nutmeg; or ancho chili powder if that's your thing; or a splash of cognac).  Stir in one cup of very hot milk.