On 11/9/2013 at 4:36 PM, hopsing said:

Went there again for carryout dimsum on a busy Saturday lunchtime.  I was trying their Cantonese Roast Chicken for the first time.  It's rare to get this dish in this area, though common in NY Chinatown and one of my favorites.  It was on their dimsum menu and it was awful.  Salty and old-tasting.  I doubt if that chicken was cooked today or yesterday.  My guess is not many people order it so they served me old food.  What a disappointment.  However, their deep-fried eggplant with shrimp paste and roast pork croissants were very good.  

BTW, if anyone knows where I can order in DC/NOVA, I would appreciate it.  I remember asking Full Kee at Baileys a few years ago and they said I had to order it a day in advance.  Sigh...

Does anyone know where to find a proper Cantonese Roast Chicken in the DC area?

• Like 1

Where is the "there" in the first line of the first post? (the quoted part)

[Good question, and my fault for creating the ambiguity. But instead of fixing it, I'm going to give everyone the opportunity to familiarize themselves with IPB's (Invision Power Board's) "Snapback Function." See the little curly arrow on the top-right of the line containing the quoted text? On the far-right of the same line that contains "hopsing, on 09 Nov 2013 - 5:36 PM, said:"? Click it.

This is why, when I split posts into different topics, we have both forward links (which I create manually like this), and backward links (the snapback function). Unless I miss something, all content in this website can be traced backwards to its original point of origin no matter how many levels deep a post gets split into.]

It's more interesting that we have two separate topics on things that are so close. I assume é¸¡ means roasted and é›ž means fried?

Actually, they both mean the same thing:  chicken.  é¸¡ is the simplified character used in mainland China.  é›ž is the traditional character used everywhere else (Taiwan, Chinatowns, etc.)

炸fried    å­young    é¸¡chicken

I seem to remember decent roast chicken at a banquet I attended at China Garden.  It was several years ago and part of a plethora of Cantonese specialties, so my mind is a bit foggy, but I remember it being decent. 

I will add China Garden to my list.  Thanks!

You can see from this post (at the bottom) that I went back to Full Kee, and when I was there, I looked over their menu. I can verify that there's a chicken dish on their menu that has the two leftmost characters in the name; the problem is that I don't remember the rightmost character, i.e., I don't know if it's "roast" or "fried." Also, this dish has three *additional* characters on the left, so the three characters we've been discussing would be (going left-to-right) characters 4-6 in the name. Again, I'm only certain of character #4 (has an E on the right side of it) and #5 (looks like a 7). Now that I'm in front of the computer, I'll remember "roast" because it has an X with a line on the top of it, sticking out on the left side; and "fried" because it has a man with a house on his head (the house tilting to the left), also sticking out on the left side. As for the three leftmost characters, I'll leave those to others. :wacko:

To hell with this language. And not for the reasons you think; it's one of the first things I've encountered (inside the Earth's atmosphere) that forces me to acknowledge my own finite lifespan.

For those who are Facebook friends with ol_ironstomach; for those who aren't, my comments on his post:

"I have my book - picked it up, and put it back down within a few days because I saw what was going to be involved (and this is coming from someone who taught themselves to become fluent in French (honest!) in their 30s). That said, I do think that anyone who immerses themselves enough to know even just 300 characters by rote emerges a better person than before ... I also want to emphasize the most important part of my comment: *put it back down*. The only way I would ever commit to learning Chinese is if I were sentenced to life without hope of parole in a Beijing prison, and the only book in the library was an English-Chinese primer."

" I'm thinking if you can explain the etymology of "Lez Zeppelin" to a Chinese speaker, in Chinese, you're probably at least conversational."

To hell with this language. And not for the reasons you think; it's one of the first things I've encountered (inside the Earth's atmosphere) that forces me to acknowledge my own finite lifespan.

As someone who ventures to Eden Center quite often, I love one of that article's followups: Mandarin Chinese versus Vietnamese, which has the line: "[H]ere's some unsolicited advice for David and anyone else who might agree with him: if you think Chinese is hard, steer far, far clear of Vietnamese."

• Like 1

The roast chicken at East Pearl in Rockville is fantastic.

My exploration right now is limited to the NoVa area, mostly due to laziness and Beltway-phobia.

It appears on their menu - Golden Roast Chicken Cantonese Style.

Excellent.

Miu Kee has it on the last page of their menu. $14 for half chicken.  They also do a fragrant garlic version (so they have 2 dishes, normal & garlic).

Added to my list.

You can see from this post (at the bottom) that I went back to Full Kee, and when I was there, I looked over their menu. I can verify that there's a chicken dish on their menu that has the two leftmost characters in the name; the problem is that I don't remember the rightmost character, i.e., I don't know if it's "roast" or "fried." Also, this dish has three *additional* characters on the left, so the three characters we've been discussing would be (going left-to-right) characters 4-6 in the name. Again, I'm only certain of character #4 (has an E on the right side of it) and #5 (looks like a 7). Now that I'm in front of the computer, I'll remember "roast" because it has an X with a line on the top of it, sticking out on the left side; and "fried" because it has a man with a house on his head (the house tilting to the left), also sticking out on the left side. As for the three leftmost characters, I'll leave those to others. :wacko:

What a great article.  I found myself alternately chuckling and nodding my head.  As a current Chinese language learner, this article was like therapy (I'm OK, you're OK).

I think most menus in the US use traditional characters so the last (your 6th) character (chicken) would look like this:  é›ž.  The character with X and a line on top is the simplified character for chicken.  On China Garden's menu, the dish looks like the attachment.  The first character I think means "gold".  Don't know what the 2nd character is.  Will find out from my friend tomorrow.

post-4249-0-70842100-1438019244_thumb.pn

The roast chicken at East Pearl in Rockville is fantastic.

I had this last night, $10.95 for half a chicken.  Very moist, good skin, sauce added a nice touch, my 4.5 year old loved it!  Thanks Daniel for the suggestion.

• Like 3