The Source (2007-2020), Pan-Asian Fusion in the Newseum Building in Penn Quarter - Chef Russell Smith Replaces Scott Drewno

BTW, one entree of duck was 2 breasts and 2 legs? That is one huge entree!

Yes, the roasted duckling dish is one of the largest entrees I've enjoyed in 9 years of Washington (non-chain) dining. I'm a big fan of The Source's sommelier, bar menu and upbeat vibe, although I've noted to friends that it would be a very cold and corporate room if the lighting were brighter.

The "filled with tourists" notion is a curious one. Pennsylvania Avenue is now armed with noteworthy dining from The Source to Occidental, but not many people consider that strip their "neighborhood;" It's a destination. Name recognition, location and ease of valet lends The Source to a tourist and regional/suburban crowd. Is that necessarily a bad thing? They will sustain Penn Ave restaurants' success as their novelty fades, especially as so many neighborhood places like Kemble Park, Veritas and Locanda open.

Yes, the roasted duckling dish is one of the largest entrees I've enjoyed in 9 years of Washington (non-chain) dining. I'm a big fan of The Source's sommelier, bar menu and upbeat vibe, although I've noted to friends that it would be a very cold and corporate room if the lighting were brighter.
The duckling was fairly big when I had it as well, but somehow the recent description makes it sound bigger than what I had. It's hard to tell if they're still tinkering and changing things, or if my experiences with some things were just different. I didn't have any trouble with the lighting being dim (and my vision is bad, so I wouldn't have been able to read the menu if it were at all dark), and the music wasn't too loud. I also thought the space was inviting, rather than cold. Whether they've changed the lighting and sound levels or my subjective opinion is at odds with some more recent visitors, I don't know. I thought both were just about right: not too bright/dim; not too loud or intrusive.
The "filled with tourists" notion is a curious one. Pennsylvania Avenue is now armed with noteworthy dining from The Source to Occidental, but not many people consider that strip their "neighborhood;" It's a destination. Name recognition, location and ease of valet lends The Source to a tourist and regional/suburban crowd. Is that necessarily a bad thing? They will sustain Penn Ave restaurants' success as their novelty fades, especially as so many neighborhood places like Kemble Park, Veritas and Locanda open.
When we ate there, the hostess tried to engage me in conversation by asking where I was from. I got the feeling they were gearing themselves at least in part to tourists. I tried to explain that I liked the location because of its proximity to Capitol Hill. I don't consider PA Ave. my neighborhood, but the eastern end of Penn Quarter or whatever it's called there is much more convenient for me than places farther up in Northwest. I could walk there for an evening meal or snack in the long days of summer.

The duckling was fairly big when I had it as well, but somehow the recent description makes it sound bigger than what I had. It's hard to tell if they're still tinkering and changing things, or if my experiences with some things were just different. I didn't have any trouble with the lighting being dim (and my vision is bad, so I wouldn't have been able to read the menu if it were at all dark), and the music wasn't too loud. I also thought the space was inviting, rather than cold. Whether they've changed the lighting and sound levels or my subjective opinion is at odds with some more recent visitors, I don't know. I thought both were just about right: not too bright/dim; not too loud or intrusive.

When we ate there, the hostess tried to engage me in conversation by asking where I was from. I got the feeling they were gearing themselves at least in part to tourists. I tried to explain that I liked the location because of its proximity to Capitol Hill. I don't consider PA Ave. my neighborhood, but the eastern end of Penn Quarter or whatever it's called there is much more convenient for me than places farther up in Northwest. I could walk there for an evening meal or snack in the long days of summer.

I had dinner at The Source (upstairs dining room) on Saturday, October 20. As a single diner, the staff made me feel very welcome. Most everyone among the staff was smiling warmly. In-between appetizer courses, William, the GM, asked me if I would like reading material, and subsequently brought over a recent issue of the Washingtonian.

Here is what I picked that night: Sauteed Crab Cake & Crab Salad, Warm Maine Lobster-Daikon Roll, Pan Roasted Red Snapper, and the Cherry Blossom for dessert. I had two glasses of wine with my dinner. Before my dinner at The Source, I had recently dined on crab and crab cakes at a Maryland establishment which left a very favorable indelible impression; therefore, eating the "Sauteed Crab Cake & Crab Salad" underwhelmed me. The lobster-daikon roll was good, but I do not have a benchmark reference to compare it to. The pan roasted red snapper was fresh and fabulously prepared with a thin, golden protein crust; however, the "Pineapple-Chili Thai sauce" (that the runner) poured over the snapper, at tableside, was of "high heat," and therefore, over-powered the neutral, mild, succulent flesh of the red snapper. I informed William that I was still hungry after eating my fish, and he graciously brought over the Roasted Suckling Pig gratis. The pig was the dish that I fondly remember from this evening. The neo-Chinese roasted pig flavor blended well with the thin, crispy skin in my mouth was euphoric. On a recommendation from one of the kitchen runners, I ordered the Cherry Blossom for dessert. There were "prepared" cherries [best part] on the bottom covered with cooked batter, with what appeared to be fried wonton sticks covered with powdered sugar. After one bite, I was disappointed with the taste of it.

NOTE: Full disclosure -- I am a former employee of Wolfgang Puck and Barbara Lazaroff (1997). Understand that I did NOT inform the staff of The Source of my "past ties" before, during or after my dinner. I even hesitated to make this post on Don Rockwell, but wanted to express to readers of how warm and welcome the staff made me feel when I was only a single diner. (Sometimes -- due to circumstances, I feel awkward eating by myself at a restaurant.)

We stopped by last night at the bar for an early dinner while we were downtown on the way home. I was interested in sitting in the dining room after reading some of the good reviews on here. Unfortunately, they were booked for an hour and a half and we were hungry, so we opted for the bar. To our dismay, it appears that they no longer serve the dining room items downstairs at the bar, so we were limited to the lounge menu, which did not bother us too much because it sounded great (General Tso's chicken wings!).

We grabbed a couple of seats at the relatively empty bar, which I think is very elegant without coming across as pretentious. Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA was great on tap and her Wieninger was nice with the variety of food that we ordered. We started off with the Olive Tapenade and Hummus and the Wings. At $12, I do not know what we were expecting out of the Hummus dish, but I do know that it was something much more than what was delivered. The hummus was pretty good, don't get me wrong, but absolutely no better than the packaged product you get at Costco. The tapenade had a very intense flavor, but it almost got to be too much after a few bites and we found ourselves just putting a little on each piece of the bruschetta. The wings were about the best version of General Tso's chicken that I have ever had, with that nice kick of spice that you get at the end that good Chinese places tend to have. Again, though, the downside is that you only get 6 wings that are the size of broccoli florets for $11.

Next we decided to try a couple of the great sounding pizzas on the menu, the Shrimp Pesto and Spicy Chicken. She does not eat pork, so sometimes we feel a bit limited by the items on a pizza menu, but both of these sounded perfect for both of us to enjoy. The Shrimp Pesto was the best thing we had all night, as they were not stingy at all on the shrimp or goat cheese and were are both a bit obsessed with pesto, so this really hit the spot. The crust is not what I would call "thin crust", however, as it was described by the bartender. I think it is closer to Red Rocks or Italian Store in terms of thickness as opposed to Comet or Bebo. Because we were under the impression that the pizza would be thin and not as filling as it was, we decided to order a second (the Spicy Chicken) and were disappointed that we did. My fiancee described it best when she said "this tastes like the pizza I get at the airport", referring to the Chipotle Chicken pizza they have at California Pizza Kitchen (and in your local grocery store). Again, the toppings were generous, but even though we saw them bake it in the oven to the left of us, it still had the taste and feel of something prepackaged. Fortunately, the shrimp pesto was more than enough to fill us up, so we only at a slice each of this pizza and took the rest home.

My overall verdict is that nothing here was bad outside of the chicken pizza, but nothing was good enough to get me to come back, especially at a $100 price tag (with tax and tip). Service was friendly and the shrimp pesto pizza was certainly something worth ordering again, but when I have Comet, RR, 2Amy's, etc, I would not see a need to come back here specifically for that. Actually, I would venture to say that unless I have an office function or a birthday party of a friend here, that I will probably not make it back to the bar at Source unless prices drop considerably, which I do not think will be the case based on the size of the crowd when we left. The upstairs is definitely near the top of my list of places to visit some time soon, though.

Had a sensational meal last night upstairs at the Source. Started out with the best sliders I've ever eaten and those amazing General Tsao's chicken wings. Then the 3 of us shared the tuna tartare cones and the lobster daikon roll - both very light and tasty. Next Chef Drewno sent out an asparagus soup garnished with lobster and wild mushrooms. It was as good a soup as I have had this year - not on the menu but apparently it is sometimes served at lunch and I was told the chef regularly changes up the garnishes he uses. I am usually skeptical of restaurants that serve asparagus out of season, but I cannot imagine this soup being any better in early May. That was followed by another bite size treat from the kitchen - a sensational slice of tender roast duck breast on a tiny bed of roasted Asian veggies - not on any menu I have seen but worth seeking out when you are there. For entrees I had the wok fried whole sea bass with thai chili sauce and a small pan of brown and white rice. This preparation was reminiscent of the legendary whole catfish served at Chinois in LA and every bit as enjoyable. I have been wanting to try the whole fish since the Source opened but I usually end up ordering the superb pan roasted (actually fried) organic chicken. Glad I changed up last evening. One off my dining companions had the lacquered duck (served with chow fun), which I have enjoyed in the past and which she proclaimed to be the best duck she has ever eaten. The other had some very tender and tasty grilled lamb chops accompanied by a delicious small pan of Hunan eggplant. For dessert the chef sent out a terrific house made cookie plate that I suspect Ann Amernick would have been proud of. For liquid refreshments we shared a bottle of the 2002 Aubert Ritchie Chard and another Mark Aubert gem, the 1997 Peter Michael Les Pavots. As good as those wines were, on this evening they took a back seat to Chef Drewno's wonderful cooking!

After a hectic couple of weeks at work I was able to sneak away for a decent lunch, far away from the bussling crowds and horrendous food that infect the area in and around Union Station. I figured that I would try some place new, so my wife and I met at Source. Thankfully the load music mentioned earlier in the thread was abscent especially since it was already difficult to hear over the din of the other diners.

Maybe I missed it, but I have not read anyone comment about the Naan and accouchements that are served at the beginning of the meal. The Naan on its own is nothing special, it rather tasted like a store bought pita that had been warmed a little too long, but the raisin curry chutney and the cucumber yogurt really provided a sensual lift to the otherwise flaccid bread. The bread could not have been more distant in quality from our appetizers. I am not sure how they could call the pot stickers that are on the menu “tiny dumplings”, there was nothing tiny about them. These perfectly sized beauties were filled with a succulent pork belly and pan fried to absolute perfection, with a crunchy bottom while maintaining a delicateness to the rest of the skin. The black vinegar was the perfect foil to the large deliciously flavored filling. I am not sure what I can say about the tuna tartare other than “more please”. Two of my three cones were simply a mouthful, the third was about a mouth and a half, and I am not talking about over stuffing my mouth. Someone earlier wrote that they could have ten more of these, I think that my limit would be about six, not because they are filling, but because they are so stimulating and so complex that I think that my nose and my tongue would both give up if I tried to force more of them on my senses.

The entrees were not as resounding a success as the appetizers. I would confidently place the burger that my wife ordered at #4 in the city, and that even after it arrived cooked to the north side of medium instead of medium rare that was ordered (for me the burgers that beat it are 1. Palena, 2. Charlie Palmer’s, and 3. Central). Aside from being overcooked the real disappointment of this dish were the fries, they looked and tasted like they were pre-frozen Sysco brand fries, I just expect something better at a restaurant of this caliber. My Pan Roasted Organic Chicken breast was a tail of two meats. The thinner portion of the breast was moist and inviting, with skin so crisp I am surprised that even above the noise people could hear the sound of the crunch, but as I made my way towards the thicker portion I found that the skin became less crisp and the meat far drier, after about 2/3’s of the breast even the flavorful sauce could no longer save it. The fried rice left me wondering what the point of frying it was, and decided that it was simply to make the rice grains greasy, and dry out the egg and sausage.

I am at a loss to explain our server, he was not very attentive, and at times he acted as if he were surprised to see us sitting at the table. Thankfully, the floor manager kept tabs on all of the tables, he took care of a beverage issue that we had with grace and professionalism, and helped to pick-up the slack of our waiter. All-in-all I will go back, but it is just not someplace that I am going to be in a rush to revisit.

Was this upstairs or downstairs. Your experience was completely opposite to our dinner last week... We had excellent service. They didn't serve the naan, either.

After a hectic couple of weeks at work I was able to sneak away for a decent lunch, far away from the bussling crowds and horrendous food that infect the area in and around Union Station. I figured that I would try some place new, so my wife and I met at Source. Thankfully the load music mentioned earlier in the thread was abscent especially since it was already difficult to hear over the din of the other diners.

Maybe I missed it, but I have not read anyone comment about the Naan and accouchements that are served at the beginning of the meal. The Naan on its own is nothing special, it rather tasted like a store bought pita that had been warmed a little too long, but the raisin curry chutney and the cucumber yogurt really provided a sensual lift to the otherwise flaccid bread. The bread could not have been more distant in quality from our appetizers. I am not sure how they could call the pot stickers that are on the menu “tiny dumplings”, there was nothing tiny about them. These perfectly sized beauties were filled with a succulent pork belly and pan fried to absolute perfection, with a crunchy bottom while maintaining a delicateness to the rest of the skin. The black vinegar was the perfect foil to the large deliciously flavored filling. I am not sure what I can say about the tuna tartare other than “more please”. Two of my three cones were simply a mouthful, the third was about a mouth and a half, and I am not talking about over stuffing my mouth. Someone earlier wrote that they could have ten more of these, I think that my limit would be about six, not because they are filling, but because they are so stimulating and so complex that I think that my nose and my tongue would both give up if I tried to force more of them on my senses.

The entrees were not as resounding a success as the appetizers. I would confidently place the burger that my wife ordered at #4 in the city, and that even after it arrived cooked to the north side of medium instead of medium rare that was ordered (for me the burgers that beat it are 1. Palena, 2. Charlie Palmer’s, and 3. Central). Aside from being overcooked the real disappointment of this dish were the fries, they looked and tasted like they were pre-frozen Sysco brand fries, I just expect something better at a restaurant of this caliber. My Pan Roasted Organic Chicken breast was a tail of two meats. The thinner portion of the breast was moist and inviting, with skin so crisp I am surprised that even above the noise people could hear the sound of the crunch, but as I made my way towards the thicker portion I found that the skin became less crisp and the meat far drier, after about 2/3’s of the breast even the flavorful sauce could no longer save it. The fried rice left me wondering what the point of frying it was, and decided that it was simply to make the rice grains greasy, and dry out the egg and sausage.

I am at a loss to explain our server, he was not very attentive, and at times he acted as if he were surprised to see us sitting at the table. Thankfully, the floor manager kept tabs on all of the tables, he took care of a beverage issue that we had with grace and professionalism, and helped to pick-up the slack of our waiter. All-in-all I will go back, but it is just not someplace that I am going to be in a rush to revisit.

Was this upstairs or downstairs. Your experience was completely opposite to our dinner last week... We had excellent service. They didn't serve the naan, either.
It was upstairs, and it was lunch. I wouldn't say our service was bad, just not as attentive as I would expect at this level a restaurant.

Last Friday I attended the opening of the Newsum. While I was dashing for the 2 block long line, I ran into Wolfgang Puck. He was quite nice and shoot my hand. I said welcome to DC and he replied "Thanks" and "Please come dine with us". Seem like a nice guy, looked like a chef, talked like a chef....

Last Friday I attended the opening of the Newsum. While I was dashing for the 2 block long line, I ran into Wolfgang Puck. He was quite nice and shoot my hand. I said welcome to DC and he replied "Thanks" and "Please come dine with us". Seem like a nice guy, looked like a chef, talked like a chef....

I'm sure that he actually shook your hand, Scott. But a big part of his success is his personable manner. He is a charming, friendly approachable man. I took a 10 or 12 week cooking course that he taught back in the late 1970's before he was famous, when he was still in his 20's, and a working chef with natural teaching ability. He doesn't seem to have changed during the intervening years, despite his staggering success. And he really is a great chef.

Saturday night -- upstairs at The Source (first time visit). Very favorable impression of the food and wine list, although as for the atmosphere, a little more light and a little less volume for the music would be good (although I'm glad they were playing classic rock like the Stones, rather than techno). (Sorry if I sound like a fogey complaining about dim lights and loud music, but I guess I'm heading inexorably in that direction). I liked the look of the restaurant - very sleek and chic -- I didn't feel beautiful enough to be there.

Everything was delicious. For appetizers, we had the soft shell crab tempura, tiny dumplings, roast suckling pig, and artic char. The soft shell crab was ethereally light and crispy, with a nice asian-type slaw accompaniment. The tiny dumplings were very good, and a generous amount - I think 8? Plenty to share. The suckling pig was unbelievably tender and meltingly rich. The char seemed rather small -- perhaps the size of a large postage stamp, but seemed pleasing to the person who ordered it. I tried a molecule of it, which was insufficient to really tell how it was overall.

For main courses, we had lacquered duck, whole wok fried sea bass, short ribs and assam prawn curry. 3 out of 4 were fabulous. The shrimp, while very tasty and well seasoned, was skimpy -- it didn't even come with rice! It was served in a beautiful large square plate with a round indentation/bowl in the middle, which only made the portion look even smaller. By contrast, the lacquered duck included about half a duck and came with a small pot of ridiculously good chow fun. The whole sea bass was brought to the table upright in a swimming position, and boned table-side. It was huge. Now, I'm not the kind of person who chooses a restaurant only because it serves large portions (if I were, I could just go to Denny's all the time). However, compared with the other dishes, the curry dish seemed disproportionately small. And when you are paying mid-30 to 40 dollars per entree, I think it's fair to expect a decent-sized portion. That being said, overall, the cost of the meal was surprisingly quite reasonable.

Desserts included a 15-layer mocha case, a selection of ice cream, sorbet and gelato, and a blueberry cobbler. The mocha cake was the best, but the cobbler was excellent and the blueberry flavor was wonderful. The coconut gelato was the best of the 3 flavors in the assortment.

Does anyone have a ballpark range for prices/portion sizes in the downstairs lounge area for dinner and/or lunch? Thanks!

If I recall my experience with appetizers in the lounge from last winter correctly, portion sizes are about the same as Jaleo/Zaytinya. I think prices ran about a $2 +/- variance from a median of about $10, but commodities prices have risen since then, so YMMV. Also, as I further recall me experience at the Source, brace yourself for levels of upselling rarely encountered outside of car dealerships or mattress stores.

The downstairs area has the same prices as upstairs for lunch; I'd say expect $15-18. There is also a $35 prix fixe menu at lunch.

I didn't read this thread before heading to The Source for lunch yesterday, so I was surprised to learn that the normal bar menu is not available for lunch. I got the prix fixe menu b/c basically 2 courses off the regular menu puts you at $35 anyway, so why not get some cheesecake "for free"? And what damn good cheesecake it is! So soft and sweet, it would normally steal the show from any other course, but that half organic chicken is ridonkulous. Palena has a worthy competitor (though for twice the price). The accompanying fried rice I wasn't crazy about--especially the rice's firmness--until it accidentally mixed with the chicken's sauce/broth; once that happened, it amazingly had that familiar stir-fried rice taste. At most places my starter of Arctic char would be the highlight with it's crispy skin and successful chutney pairing, but the dessert and entree were so successful that the char was relegated to an afterthought. Really pleasant meal--but it had better be for $48 lunch (with tax and tip but an iced tea instead of alcohol). Don't make the same mistake I did by expecting to pay half that before heading off to the Newseum.

Pax,

Brian

I really enjoyed my dinner in the upstairs area of the Source on Saturday night. I've been to the bar area before, and this was my first time upstairs.

We had the complimentary green beans and candied walnuts, and for my appetizer I had juicy chicken dumplings which came with mushrooms on the side. For my entree, I had the lacquered duck with figs and a very flavorful lo mein (this entree was a large portion, I felt like I kept eating and eating, and there was still more to eat). For dessert, I had a creamy passionfruit cheesecake with mango sorbet. I looked for the cherry blossom dessert that Joe H mentioned when they first opened about a year ago, but it wasn't on the menu. There haven't been any reports of it in a long while so I wonder if it's been retired from the menu?

The restaurant was loud, from the noise of people talking both downstairs and upstairs. There was also some kind of music in the background, and I didn't notice the music until I actively tried to listen for it (it wasn't classic rock when I did listen to it).

OVERRATED! ..... If I hadn't been using gift certificates here tonight, I'd have been really disappointed to have spent so much money that I could have taken to Vidalia, Proof, Eve... Some very good food - the duckling is a wonderful preparation of crisp skin with ample succulent tender meat and the various asian noodle sides are quite good, but I simply can't justify these kinds of prices in this atmosphere. This strikes me as a spot that has good and occasionally great food, but that is really more of a scene. For me, I'd rather have a nicer, quieter environment with better service and more reasonable pricing. $35 for three scallops is a lot, but the limited options on the wine list for less than a whole lot of money really push this place into the very expensive realm. Maybe if I had an unlimited budget, but this is just not worth it for me. Probably my most disappointing meal this year.

OVERRATED! ..... If I hadn't been using gift certificates here tonight, I'd have been really disappointed to have spent so much money that I could have taken to Vidalia, Proof, Eve... Some very good food - the duckling is a wonderful preparation of crisp skin with ample succulent tender meat and the various asian noodle sides are quite good, but I simply can't justify these kinds of prices in this atmosphere. This strikes me as a spot that has good and occasionally great food, but that is really more of a scene. For me, I'd rather have a nicer, quieter environment with better service and more reasonable pricing. $35 for three scallops is a lot, but the limited options on the wine list for less than a whole lot of money really push this place into the very expensive realm. Maybe if I had an unlimited budget, but this is just not worth it for me. Probably my most disappointing meal this year.

This IS a very expensive restaurant. We return in several weeks; it will be interesting to see if last year's excellence continues. Perhaps a "scene" downstairs but for me this restaurant has always been about the upstairs room which I have compared to Chinois where most entrees now approach $40. Interesting comment about prefering a "quieter environment." We've asked them to turn down the volume of the music on two of our four visits. It WAS a huge distraction. I should note that they readily complied.

This IS a very expensive restaurant.

I don't think The Source is any more expensive than Restaurant Eve Bistro. I saw Scott Drewno at Taste of the Nation the other evening, and asked him what would be the one dish he'd order right now. He answered without any hesitation: suckling pig.

But I'm glad I started with the Tandoori Arctic Char ($15), with pickled Japanese cucumbers and cardamom raita. A near-ringer for wild Alaskan salmon, if it weren't for Johnny Monis' life-changing Katsikaki, I'd say this is the best Indian-influenced dish I've had in memory. It went beautifully with a glass of 2005 Trimbach Gewurztraminer ($10 for a generous little carafe).

If there was a weak link last night, it was the "Tiny Dumplings" ($14), firm little dumplings stuffed with pork belly, served with black vinegar, chili oil, ginger, and cilantro leaves. This was a perfectly decent course, but ultimately was more useful than memorable - useful for transitioning from the Gewurztraminer into a Valpolicella ($10), the wine which was to accompany my next dish.

Drewno's Crispy Suckling Pig ($16) is an appetizer served with plum puree, sweet bean, and pickled cipollini onions, very much in the style of a confit, with thick, seared skin acting as a tortoise shell. It was a fairly small dish, with only three cubes of pork, and I can't say it was any better than the magnificent Arctic Char. However, both of these dishes should be on your agenda the next time you visit The Source.

I was tempted by the 15 Layer Carrot Cake ($10), accompanied by candied walnuts and an excellent little crescent of Rum Raisin ice cream. Washed down with a Calvados, it was just what the doctor ordered to cap off this fine meal composed entirely of small plates.

Cheers,

Rocks.

this fine meal composed entirely of small plates.

Why is it that so many restaurants lately seem to be more enjoyable if the meal is entirely small plates, rather than the traditional appetizer/entree combo? Time and again, I'm finding the spark in the apps, with the mains being unexciting or routine.

I don't think The Source is any more expensive than Restaurant Eve Bistro. I saw Scott Drewno at Taste of the Nation the other evening, and asked him what would be the one dish he'd order right now. He answered without any hesitation: suckling pig.

But I'm glad I started with the Tandoori Arctic Char ($15), with pickled Japanese cucumbers and cardamom raita. A near-ringer for wild Alaskan salmon, if it weren't for Johnny Monis' life-changing Katsikaki, I'd say this is the best Indian-influenced dish I've had in memory. It went beautifully with a glass of 2005 Trimbach Gewurztraminer ($10 for a generous little carafe).

If there was a weak link last night, it was the "Tiny Dumplings" ($14), firm little dumplings stuffed with pork belly, served with black vinegar, chili oil, ginger, and cilantro leaves. This was a perfectly decent course, but ultimately was more useful than memorable - useful for transitioning from the Gewurztraminer into a Valpolicella ($10), the wine which was to accompany my next dish.

Drewno's Crispy Suckling Pig ($16) is an appetizer served with plum puree, sweet bean, and pickled cipollini onions, very much in the style of a confit, with thick, seared skin acting as a tortoise shell. It was a fairly small dish, with only three cubes of pork, and I can't say it was any better than the magnificent Arctic Char. However, both of these dishes should be on your agenda the next time you visit The Source.

I was tempted by the 15 Layer Carrot Cake ($10), accompanied by candied walnuts and an excellent little crescent of Rum Raisin ice cream. Washed down with a Calvados, it was just what the doctor ordered to cap off this fine meal composed entirely of small plates.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Don, were all of the above appetizers? What is the general price range on their entrees?

Don, were all of the above appetizers? What is the general price range on their entrees?

I'm on my cell phone and going from memory, but I think most apps are in mid-teens, with entrees averaging in the mid-thirties ranging from upper twenties to mid-forties. Since I mentioned Eve, I think their apps average about 17 and their entrees average about 36, with less variance at the low- and high-end. Again, I'm sitting in a parking lot going from memory so don't quote me on this. Cheers, Rocks

We had dinner at the Source on Friday night. The restaurant was never more than 3/4 full at any point between 7:30 and 9:30 while we were there. In the future, I think I'd go back and just eat appetizers at the bar. Clearly that is the side of the menu to order from.

We started with the crispy sucking pig and tiny dumplings. Both, were as the were reputed to be. Very delicious, I'd eat them again tomorrow. Serving sizes were generous. For dinner I had the whole, flash fried fish. It came served with a bowl of rice (half brown, half jasmine). I wish they would have let me filet my own fish, because it came back to me in awkward chunks and lots of bones. It was not overcooked and a large portion for one person. But a big portion of white fish and a big bowl of rice is not the most appealing looking plate. It was garnished with a few sprigs of cilantro but that was it. I felt it was lacking some vegetation to give it both more visual an flavor interest. My husband had the scallops served with drunk noodles. In contrast to my huge portion, his plate shows up with three scallops. With the benefit of the doubt that in raw form each of them was closer to 2 oz, in cooked form they looked small. That plate needed at least two more to seem less like an appetizer and more like a main course. The drunken noodles were a good accompaniement. They were not substantially dissimilar from what you might find at a good Thai restaurant. Dessert we shared the chocolate souffle. The portion on this dish seemed appropriate for the price. It was good, not amazing. With the chocolate sorbet melted into the middle, it was similar to a molten chocolate cake in texture.

A quick word of advice to restaurant employees: sometimes customers are lucky enough to be sitting next to the "waiter's station". Yes, there is a mesh partition in between us and you can't really see my face, but we can hear everything you are saying loud and clear. Its the hospitality industry, act hospitable!

I had the same experience - overhearing inappropriate comments and experiencing bad behavior from servers in front of customers. It was so bad I had to write a letter to the GM, Adam. He was kind and invited me back but I guess the issue hasn't really been resolved.

In the future, I think I'd go back and just eat appetizers at the bar. Clearly that is the side of the menu to order from.

I agree. I had lunch there a week or so ago, and while lunch may not give the kitchen it's best opportunity to shine, I thought the starters were very good and the mains a bit more meh. As I'm writing this, though, maybe we weren't adventurous enough on the mains. We had the tiny dumplings and the shrimp shumai to start. Both had good flavor and perfect texture, with accompanying sauces that significantly enhanced them. For mains, I had drunken noodles, and my companion had the chicken salad. lekkerwijn perfectly summed up my feelings on the drinken noodles:

The drunken noodles were a good accompaniement. They were not substantially dissimilar from what you might find at a good Thai restaurant.

Although I'd also say that they weren't as good as Rahbieng's version and were about twice the lunchtime price ($24, I believe, although the Source included a fair number of large shrimp). The noodles has the sweetness and spicieness I expected, but they didn't have the same depth of flavor as Rahbieng. As for the chicken salad, it was a chicken salad. A step up from Applebee's, but nothing special. For $75 before tax and tip, I agree that next time I'll stick with the appetizers.

I just had an incredible experience at The Source, Wolfgang Puck's restaurant at the Newseum in DC. All I can say is "wow"!

I eat out a lot - and would consider myself a boarderline foodie... alright, I am a full-blown restaurant snob, so I am difficult to please. And my wife? She's impossible to satisfy (get your mind out of the cork bin). But last Friday, I planned a dinner for 10 friends to celebrate a special occassion and from the minute we walked in the door until we stumbled back out onto the curb, the entire evening was a 10!

The staff was friendly and efficient and the food was marvelous. I started on the project several weeks ago, working with Kimberly Gora. Kimberly is the National Director of Private Dinning for the Puck Empire. She works out of Las Vegas (evidently, the local folks have not replaced Jennifer Maximuck who departed the Source 3 months ago). Ms. Gora was suberb - easy to work with and very helpful. I told her what my budget was and that I wanted to bring some special wines to celebrate with. She consulted the chef and developed a custom menu that was simply sublime. The Chef, Scott Drewno, hit it out of the park.

Amuse Buche

Spicy Tuna Tartare, Sesame Miso Cones

First Course

Sea Scallop and Gulf Shrimp Su Mai

Second Course

Suckling Pig and 24 hour Slow Cooked Pork Belly Duo

Third Course

Crispy Whole Fish with Lapsong Sausage Fried Rice, Singapore Street Noodles, and Drunken Noodles

Fourth Course

Kobe Short Ribs

Fifth Course

Lamb

Dessert

Blueberry Crumble and Molten Chocolate Cake Duo

The wine service - even though I provided the majority of the juice, was first rate - you would have thought that we had bought their most expensive selections. The meal was evenly paced and the bill was exactly - to the penny - what we had negotiated beforehand. In short, it was a magical evening. One word of note: We were given our choice of eating downstairs in the private dining room or upstairs in the main dining room. We chose the upstairs option because of the ambiance and decor. It was a smart move.

I have been to the Source several times before and have never had a bad experience, but this was over the top.

Sorry for gushing - but I just wanted to share this great experience with other dedicated food-o-philes.

Scott

Kay & I went after a Saturday night at Dino. We had a few tasting courses, way more than we really needed at that late at night, but Chef Drewno was generous, My faves were the suckling pig with crispy skin, the pork belly on a duo plate with halibut in a too spicy for the halibut but otherwise perfect Thai curry sauce, the 15 layer carrot cake. Kay raved about the kobe slider and the Kobe shortrib. She also liked the blueberry crumble. Good fries but they needed a sauce inbetween bernaise and fairly regular tasting ketchup. Dogfish 60 IPA and a Papa Double made for a nice evening.

Thanks Chef D!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the simple bowl of lo mein noodles that comes with the Lacquered Chinese Duckling at the Source are the best "Chinese" noodles I have had. Ever. As far as I can tell the dish is vegetarian, the noodles adorned just with shitake mushrooms, green onion, and hot pepper. But it explodes with flavor. It's almost worth a trip to the restaurant just to try this, and it certainly doesn't hurt that the duck it comes with is freakin' fantastic. I would imagine that they'd let you buy a bowl of the noodles just by itself, though it's not listed separately on the menu...maybe at the bar.

I don't think you are going out on a limb - I know that there was chatter on this site some time ago when Todd Kliman said that the Chinese cooking at the Source was the best in DC. I cannot claim to have eaten in every great Chinese restaurant in the area. But the noodle dishes prepared by Chef Drewno, particularly the chow fun with jumbo prawns and the noodles with kobe beef short ribs, are certainly among the best, if not the best, noodle dishes I have ever tasted. They are addictive.

From the Washington Post's Going Out Guru's column today:

Robata

Black cod, noodle salad, sesame dressing $9

Korean-style short ribs, kimchi, kochujan aioli $10

Farm-fresh chicken, balsamic soy reduction $8

Bacon-wrapped sea scallop, seaweed butter $12

Crispy sweetbreads, yuzu gastrique $9

Crispy pork belly, steamed bao buns $8

Lamb sirloin, sour cherry-mustard chutney $9

Sushi & Sashimi

Negi-hama roll, yellowtail, scallion $12

Spicy tuna roll, hand-cut tuna, chili aioli $12

California roll, king crab, avocado $12

Tempura shrimp roll, cucumber, eel sauce $10

Vegetarian roll, yamagobo, shiso $8

Spicy tuna tartare, sesame miso cone $6

Yellowtail sashimi, pickled Jalapeno citrus ponzu $10

Noodles & Dumplings

Stir-fried yaki udon, wild field mushrooms and oxtail $10

Sichuan chicken dumplings, crushed peanut, chili "dan dan" $8

Scallop and shrimp spring roll, honey 10 spice $9

Pan-fried noodles, chili squid, pork belly $8

Sandwiches & Snacks

Prime beef sliders, smoked onion marmalade, cheddar $8

Mini banh mi, country-style pate $9

Pork tankatsu sandwich, garlic and pepper aioli $10

Chicken wings, spicy garlic chili sauce $10

Tempura green beans, curry salt, ginger aioli $7

Good for them - they've finally gone from this:

"American Style" Kobe Sliders, Smoked Onion Marmalade"

to this:

"Prime beef sliders, smoked onion marmalade, cheddar $8"

It's ironic that they did this only after going to a Japanese-influenced menu. It's even more ironic that I'm less likely to order the sliders than before, because the other menu items interest me more now. :angry: Regardless, kudos to The Source for finally showing the Kobe-ushi this long-overdue gesture of proper respect.

Cheers,

Rocks.

All this talk of The Source and its Chinese food got me hankering to go back after an average experience 2 years back. My wife and I absolutely love Chinese noodle dishes, and the Source has two that are right up our alley. My wife loves spicy food, so she asked for the "Thai Style" Drunken Noodles, Gulf Shrimp, Thai Chilies, Holy Basil at a level 4 out of 5 and the kitchen delivered. This was undoubtedly the best chow fun style dish either of us had every had, with the spicing done exactly to my wife's liking and everything cooked perfectly, including the large prawns spread copiously throughout the bowl. I went with the "Singapore Style" Street Noodles, Kobe Beef Short Ribs, Spring Peas, which had lovely sweet curry undertones and again was cooked perfectly.

The surprise of the meal was the appetizer portion, though. I got the Crispy Suckling Pig with Plum Puree, Pickled Cipollini, Sweet Bean and my wife had the Crispy Calamari Salad, Jalapeno, Cucumber, Scallions, Ginger Vinaigrette. I would have bet you anything that I would have enjoyed the pig more than the calamari pre-delivery, but damn was I wrong. The calamari dish could not have been cooked any better, perfectly soft little rings of fish in a light vinaigrette with a very light tempura batter. I know many on here would scoff at the idea of fried calamari as a great dish, but this was one of the better appetizers I have had in a while and certainly the best calamari dish I have ever had. The pig, on the other hand, was a letdown. 3 domino-sized pieces of belly with a nice crispy skin but no 'wow' factor that you get in belly dishes elsewhere. It was not something I would order again, and I rarely say that about pork dishes.

There was one major issue with this meal, one that has remained pretty constant since this restaurant opened a couple years back: the price. This was one of the best lunches I have had in DC in recent memory, yet I don't think I will find myself back here very quickly unless someone else is paying because of the incredible markups. As much as I liked my short rib noodle dish, it was $28. $28! Now, if it had been a Kobe Beef-centric dish, I could maybe see justifying a $20+ price tag. But it isn't. This is a noodle dish with 4 lumps of short rib mixed in. I estimate that the food cost of this dish was somewhere between $5-8 total, and that is probably being generous. It's too bad, because I loved the dish and could eat it again tomorrow, but I just can't justify paying in the neighborhood of $30 for a bowl of noodles with some braised beef in it.

$124 (after tip) for 2 beers, 2 bowls of noodles, fried calamari, and 3 small pieces of pork belly. Call me cheap, call me a whiner, call me whatever. That is around $50 more than what we should have paid for our meal today. The food was good enough that I'm sure I'll be back, but it will either be on my company or to have a more reasonably priced item like sandwich or a salad.

There was one major issue with this meal, one that has remained pretty constant since this restaurant opened a couple years back: the price. This was one of the best lunches I have had in DC in recent memory, yet I don't think I will find myself back here very quickly unless someone else is paying because of the incredible markups. As much as I liked my short rib noodle dish, it was $28. $28! Now, if it had been a Kobe Beef-centric dish, I could maybe see justifying a $20+ price tag. But it isn't. This is a noodle dish with 4 lumps of short rib mixed in. I estimate that the food cost of this dish was somewhere between $5-8 total, and that is probably being generous. It's too bad, because I loved the dish and could eat it again tomorrow, but I just can't justify paying in the neighborhood of $30 for a bowl of noodles with some braised beef in it.

$124 (after tip) for 2 beers, 2 bowls of noodles, fried calamari, and 3 small pieces of pork belly. Call me cheap, call me a whiner, call me whatever. That is around $50 more than what we should have paid for our meal today. The food was good enough that I'm sure I'll be back, but it will either be on my company or to have a more reasonably priced item like sandwich or a salad.

Could that be the reason the The Source website does not provide prices? Hmm....

Say what you will David (and you already said that the chow fun w/copious amounts of jumbo shrimp was the best you ever had - and I could not agree more), but in my opinion those 2 noodle dishes are among the best on the planet and are worth every penny!

Say what you will David (and you already said that the chow fun w/copious amounts of jumbo shrimp was the best you ever had - and I could not agree more), but in my opinion those 2 noodle dishes are among the best on the planet and are worth every penny!

My hope is that when I grow up I will be a baller like Mark Kuller and I can enjoy lunch at the Source without being concerned about them gouging me for shrimp chow fun. Until then, I will have to settle for taking Amina to Proof to take advantage of their lunch bar special, which we could have 4 times for the price of one trip to the Source! :angry:

I don't think you are going out on a limb - I know that there was chatter on this site some time ago when Todd Kliman said that the Chinese cooking at the Source was the best in DC. I cannot claim to have eaten in every great Chinese restaurant in the area. But the noodle dishes prepared by Chef Drewno, particularly the chow fun with jumbo prawns and the noodles with kobe beef short ribs, are certainly among the best, if not the best, noodle dishes I have ever tasted. They are addictive.

On a recent visit at the bar, we enjoyed an “unofficial” tasting of some fun and fresh items in their inspired Izakaya menu. All delicious and flavorful, you can’t go wrong with any of these items!

Tempura Green Beans with pickled ginger sauce

Sichuan Chicken Dumplings in a hearty sauce of chili, black beans and ground pork--spicy and delish!

King Crab California Rolls

Homemade noodles—love!

Lo Mein salad – skewered melt-in-your-mouth marinated Black Cod, crushed peanuts, flat parsley, cilantro and chili “Dan Dan”

Udon with braised oxtail

Their take on Peking duck – lacquered duckling, spring onions and homemade steamed bun for pancake

15 Layer Carrot Cake

Thank you to the staff for the hospitality and attentive service, and to Chef Scott Drewno, I teased, who must already be half Asian! :angry:

I really like the restaurant and the food nonetheless I probably won't go back because the music is so loud that we feel more in a disco than a very nice restaurant.

My best friend stopped going for the same reason and he loves the food.

You can have a more loud music at the bar but in the dining room I am missing the point. I go to a place to talk and to relax.

It is a constructive criticism because the experience was pretty good. Too bad.

I had an eagerly anticipated dinner this past Saturday with my wife and friends at The Source. Maybe it was because our expectations were so high or that the food was rather expensive, but we all expressed a modicum of disappointment after our experience there.

Arriving early for our reservation, we found seats in the bar area to enjoy our drinks. My Hendricks martini with olives was nicely made, though my wife's sidecar was much too sweet for our tastes. The bar area definitely exudes a hip urban vibe and I did enjoy socializing over drinks in that atmosphere. The noise level was a bit high for casual conversation but I didn't find it overly intrusive. Service in the bar was attentive and friendly.

Ascending the stairs to our table, I scanned the remainder of the soaring space and was again impressed. I agree with the earlier post that said this does not feel like a DC restaurant. Seated in a booth upstairs, we were greeted by a friendly waiter who ran down the myriad off-menu selections and capably answered the numerous questions our table asked. Soon after placing our wine order for a bottle of Oregon pinot gris, the sommelier arrived tableside and arranged a small table, 5 wine glasses, and launched into a curious ritual of pouring a taste of the wine into each of the 5 glasses before offering the wine's selector a taste. When we asked about the ritual, the sommelier said it was a traditional approach to pouring wine. Kinda weird in an Asian-themed restaurant and with a wine with a screwtop (don't have to worry about a bad cork). Not good or bad, just kinda odd.

My wife and I opted to split the appetizer special of California roll made with king crab. The roll was quite tasty and certainly pleasant as the ingredients were well proportioned and it was redolent of actual crab flavor. But, although a nice dish, it didn't blow us away and seemed almost pedestrian. Maybe that was a case of unrealistic expecations on our part but I think we expected more. This sentiment carried over into the entree portion of the meal.

I ordered the special of lobster with thai basil and a brown sauce (I apologize with the coarse, undescriptive language but I can't recall the servers more eloquent description) served with white and brown rice. My wife ordered the Hong Kong Style King Salmon with bok choy and a soy-ginger sauce. Overall, both dishes were again quite nice. My lobster was cooked perfectly, the sauce was tasty, and the rice was again perfectly cooked. It was a generous portion to boot. Likewise, my wife's salmon was cooked perfectly, as were the accompaniments. Yet, in both cases again, there was just something missing that prevented us from fully embracing the dishes. Again, maybe we expected too much but I feel like we could get similar quality and similar preparations at other restaurants at something less than mid-$30s per entree.

I wanted very much to love everything about this meal as it was the first time my wife and I got out for a real night out since having a baby in the fall but The Source just didn't resonate with us. I can't put my finger on why - maybe it was the corporate vibe as suggested earlier - or maybe it was the the onus of expectations associated with a #3 ranking in Washingtonian - but I don't think we'll be returning here. The Source is pretty to look at and it's a hip place to say you've been but I go to restaurants to eat first and the food here was missing something.

There are some great chefs and restaurants in this city. But it is, admittedly, a little pricey to experience them in the context of a full meal. Fortunately, there are places like The Source, where you can experience them for a much smaller cost. Tonight, I revisited the lounge for the first time in a while. I used to live and work nearby, but have not been back since I moved. In the meantime, they have changed their lounge menu from its former hodge-podge of flavors to an Izakay-style menu that is somewhat more focused on the regular restaurant's Asian theme. I was a little sad upon my return to see the pizzas gone, because I had enjoyed them in the past -- particularly the shrimp pesto -- but the few items I tried from the new menu soothed my disappointment.

I started with a Grey Goose martini ($15), which seemed a tad expensive, but it was well made and fully two drinks. It also came with three large olives -- pimento, jalapeno, and blue cheese stuffed -- that were fresh and a nice little snack by themselves. I next ordered two dishes, the Mini Bahn Mi ($8) and the Crispy Chicken Wings ($10). To go with them, I got a glass of the Dr. Loosen "Dr. L" Riesling ($8).

Bahn Mi are one of my favorite things to eat around town, but these were the best versions I have had. An order has two small sandwiches that appear to come with two kinds of pork, roasted pork and pate, a salad of lightly pickled vegetables, and a spicy mayo (maybe Sriracha-based) all on fresh, soft rolls. It also came with a light dipping sauce that was somewhat superfluous. The six or so chicken wings also made a nice dish and were very similar to the General Tso's Chicken wings on the old lounge menu. In fact, they may have been the same as before, but seemed somewhat less spicy. And the Riesling was off-dry and a nice compliment to both.

The total bill was $45, pre tip, which certainly isn't cheap for one. But it was a good-sized meal with essentially three drinks and a nice showcase of Scott Drewno's food. I would recommend a visit if you're looking for a top-tier experience at a more gentle price.