Butchers

mr food

---snip snip snip---

A different question, has anyone seen hanger or onglet steak around? I have seen skirt at whole foods but the hanger is actually a different section of the diaphragm I thought. Are they just labeling it "skirt" in stores? I actually tried laurel once or twice but they were always out (only one or two hanger steaks per cow I think he said so it goes quick) Whole foods skirt steak is ridiculous at 14.99 a pound (same as strip and ribeye is actually cheaper) so I am looking elsewhere.

And another thing I have seen a couple of links on here to meat cut guides and just wanted to add that I have always used wikipedia. Really good descriptions.

GASP! $14.99 for SKIRT steak? Which WF were you at? The SS WF only charges $7.99/lb for skirt. They charge $14.99/lb for flank so I wonder if your WF is mispricing.

As for hanger steak, I remember seeing one of the vendors at the SS farmer's market selling meat and she had hanger steak listed. Whether or not they'll be there this upcoming weekend is debatable, since the market is almost at an end. You could try the Takoma Park market - I've been told that they have good butchers there.

I went to the Lebanese Butcher in Falls Church today in search of a rack of lamb. What I got talked into instead was marinated lamb chops for an unbelievable $5.99 a pound. They cooked up quite nicely on the grill and were incredibly tasty. I don't know if they normally offer these or if it's a Ramadan special (they usually have various things on sale) but people need to go and get some of these to try. Screw WF and their $15 skirt steak.

I went to the Lebanese Butcher in Falls Church today in search of a rack of lamb. What I got talked into instead was marinated lamb chops for an unbelievable $5.99 a pound. They cooked up quite nicely on the grill and were incredibly tasty. I don't know if they normally offer these or if it's a Ramadan special (they usually have various things on sale) but people need to go and get some of these to try. Screw WF and their $15 skirt steak.

I apologize. It was flank steak I just mistyped. But STILL 14.99? Seems a bit extreme. I don't mind paying that for a real nice strip but a bit ridiculous flank. I think that they jacked the price up over the last year because they were usually at least 3-4 bucks less than the strips when I started using them a lot about a year and a half ago. Maybe they are just becoming more popular recently. I don't know.

I apologize. It was flank steak I just mistyped. But STILL 14.99? Seems a bit extreme. I don't mind paying that for a real nice strip but a bit ridiculous flank. I think that they jacked the price up over the last year because they were usually at least 3-4 bucks less than the strips when I started using them a lot about a year and a half ago. Maybe they are just becoming more popular recently. I don't know.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

I'm with you. $14.99 for flank steak is insupportable. Last time I was at WF I said "screw it"and just got prime rib for $11.99.

A different question, has anyone seen hanger or onglet steak around? I have seen skirt at whole foods but the hanger is actually a different section of the diaphragm I thought. Are they just labeling it "skirt" in stores? I actually tried laurel once or twice but they were always out (only one or two hanger steaks per cow I think he said so it goes quick)

Union Butcher in Eastern Markey usually has onglet at a reasonable price. I have never seen it in a grocery store, labled skirt or otherwise.

I'm with you. $14.99 for flank steak is insupportable. Last time I was at WF I said "screw it"and just got prime rib for $11.99.
So then where does one go to get reasonably priced meat that does not come from a factory farm? I would love to find a butcher in the SS/Wheaton area who I could trust to tell me where the meat comes from and how it's raised. Depending on hangover status, I will try to check out the butchers at the Takoma farmer's market this weekend. But since most of my grocery purchases are made on a daily basis, I really need something is operational throughout the week.

ps....I did read through earlier posts. Laurel seems like it might be the closest alternative.

So then where does one go to get reasonably priced meat that does not come from a factory farm? I would love to find a butcher in the SS/Wheaton area who I could trust to tell me where the meat comes from and how it's raised. Depending on hangover status, I will try to check out the butchers at the Takoma farmer's market this weekend. But since most of my grocery purchases are made on a daily basis, I really need something is operational throughout the week.

ps....I did read through earlier posts. Laurel seems like it might be the closest alternative.

I am in SS also but I am not driving to Laurel everytime I want meat. And the thing about farmer's markets is that they don't really have the capability to customize. Just a cooler with vacuum packed cuts. I know you pay more at WF but you can customize the cut, weight, and pick out that cut with JUST the right marbling. But I hear you on the butcher. I love the place in Laurel just wish there was one closer.

You are singing my song on this particular thread :)

For Steak and chili cuts, lamb, veal -- oh hell, just about everything that is hoofed (not horse, though) Eastern Market Union Butchers. They have hard-to-find and awesome skirt and hanger steaks that are vacu sealed.

For Pork also the meat counter down from Union at the Market (got a Latino name like Canales??)

I was just by the market and saw that Union Meat had cryovac flank steak for $7.89. Canales had some nice looking flank steak for $8.99.

I was just by the market and saw that Union Meat had cryovac flank steak for $7.89. Canales had some nice looking flank steak for $8.99.
Later on around this time of year Union Meat also have venison from animals one of the guys there shoots himself. Not sure it's legal, but who cares?

See, this underscores the amazement at the price WF charges for flank steak. I know you pay premium for their meat, but almost double the cost of the same cut from a reputable butcher. And I know from experience that Union's prime rib is significantly more expensive than their flank. WF must have a line on the high-income quasi-organic fajita-craving crowd, allowing them to profiteer shamelessly on this cut.

Later on around this time of year Union Meat also have venison from animals one of the guys there shoots himself. Not sure it's legal, but who cares?

There is enough concern being expressed lately about the epidemic of "wasting disease" (similar to mad cow) in the wild deer population in the midwest, that I am about to give up wild venison. so far, there haven't been any documented cases of humans being infected, but mad cow does take ten years before symptoms show up...

See, this underscores the amazement at the price WF charges for flank steak. I know you pay premium for their meat, but almost double the cost of the same cut from a reputable butcher. And I know from experience that Union's prime rib is significantly more expensive than their flank. WF must have a line on the high-income quasi-organic fajita-craving crowd, allowing them to profiteer shamelessly on this cut.
I don't know about you, but I tend to make my fajitas with skirt steak. :)

I don't know about you, but I tend to make my fajitas with skirt steak. :)
I suspect most people do, including me, but I couldn't think of any other reason why this one cut should be so disproportionately expensive ("looks almost like skirt steak, and more expensivbe so it must be better. Let's get it!"). The economist in me is very curious. Is there a flank-steak trend (as there was/is with pork belly, short ribs and onglets) that I have missed?

I suspect most people do, including me, but I couldn't think of any other reason why this one cut should be so disproportionately expensive ("looks almost like skirt steak, and more expensivbe so it must be better. Let's get it!"). The economist in me is very curious. Is there a flank-steak trend (as there was/is with pork belly, short ribs and onglets) that I have missed?

The reason I started getting them all the time was the price vs. strips and filets. And I actually came to prefer the flavor and texture over the more expensive strips and filets. But now they have been raised to the same price as strips and only a few dollars less than filets. I never noticed a "Trend" just prices going up so I assumed they must be trendy otherwise why would WF feel justified driving up the price. If it was just increases in beef prices or them arbitrarily jacking up prices than they would have gone up at the same rate as filets and strips. I wasn't really using them for fajitas or anything in particular just grilling and eating like a normal steak.

The reason I started getting them all the time was the price vs. strips and filets. And I actually came to prefer the flavor and texture over the more expensive strips and filets. But now they have been raised to the same price as strips and only a few dollars less than filets. I never noticed a "Trend" just prices going up so I assumed they must be trendy otherwise why would WF feel justified driving up the price. If it was just increases in beef prices or them arbitrarily jacking up prices than they would have gone up at the same rate as filets and strips. I wasn't really using them for fajitas or anything in particular just grilling and eating like a normal steak.

I'm with you. I feel odd going to the store for flank and coming home with ribeye, because the latter was cheaper.

It was flank steak I just mistyped. But STILL 14.99?
It's not that I didn't believe Blake , but I just didn't believe him. So last night after the biscuit orgy, I made a stop by Whole Paycheck to pick up some sundry items for use and to see for myself. Sure 'nuff $15 /pound for flank steak. The porterhouse is only $14, the NY Strip only $16.

No wonder I always call it Whole Paycheck.

It was flank steak I just mistyped. But STILL 14.99?
It's not that I didn't believe Blake , but I just didn't believe him. So last night after the biscuit orgy, I made a stop by Whole Paycheck to pick up some sundry items for use and to see for myself. Sure 'nuff $15 /pound for flank steak. The porterhouse is only $14, the NY Strip only $16.

No wonder I always call it Whole Paycheck.

Flank steak used to be popular as "London Broil", marinated, broiled and sliced. That's just about the only steak I ever got at home when I was growing up, because it was inexpensive. Skirt steak was cheaper, but was looked down on as tough, low-quality meat that only poor people who couldn't afford something better would buy. (!)

When fajitas and stir-frying got really popular, flank steak was the beef cut recommended in all of the recipes. The demand soared and so did the price.

I use skirt steak for tacos al carbon. I haven't bought a flank steak in more than twenty years.

Thanks for the history Zora. London Broil -- there's a dish name that I haven't thought about in a LONG time. :)

JPW, Whole Paycheck again tonight and funny enough they had London Broil in the prepared foods section 9.99 a pound maybe? Couldn't remember but completely overpriced I am sure. Also Beth commented outloud about the price of flank steak completely unsolicited. HAha, I hadn't even told her about this conversation. And I am neither going to confirm nor deny the fact that we might have taken a slight "detour" to the bar at Ray's while walking to Whole Foods. It was completely empty, what was I supposed to do?? 3 appetizers and a round of drinks later it was pretty tough to convince myself to still go to the store and make something for (a much lighter) dinner. It was nice meeting all you guys last night by the way.

I have gotten a couple of steaks and other pieces of meat from Trader Joes. They seem pretty tasty to me and reasonably priced. Has anyone else tried them? What about the Mclean Organic Butcher? Finally what about the meat case at Giant for the premium cuts, any comparisons to WF or the others? While I admit WF has fine product, the scottish blood in me boils at the prices.

I have gotten a couple of steaks and other pieces of meat from Trader Joes. They seem pretty tasty to me and reasonably priced. Has anyone else tried them? What about the Mclean Organic Butcher? Finally what about the meat case at Giant for the premium cuts, any comparisons to WF or the others? While I admit WF has fine product, the scottish blood in me boils at the prices.

I guess it can depend on how much you care about how the animal was raised. The meats at normal supermarkets may taste decent, but have the animals been pumped full of antibiotics and been fed with food they would not normally eat? Some don't really care about this and may think it is BS, so it really depends on what your feelings and tastebuds tell you.

I have bought meat at McLean Butcher and it has been excellent. Granted the prices are a bit higher, but this type of product is not cheap (unfortunately). Cheesetique has some great hormone and antibiotic free meats as well. Which reminds me that I need to get in touch with Jill and order some duck fat.

I guess it can depend on how much you care about how the animal was raised. The meats at normal supermarkets may taste decent, but have the animals been pumped full of antibiotics and been fed with food they would not normally eat? Some don't really care about this and may think it is BS, so it really depends on what your feelings and tastebuds tell you.
I'm one of those people who worries about that kind of stuff (more concerned about how they're treated as opposed to what they're fed). I've been paying through the nose at WF and am getting fed up with it.

I took JPW's advice and checked out the farmers market at Takoma Park - it is VERY nice. I think I'm going to make Smith Meadows Farms my semi-regular source for meat. The prices are more than competitive with WF and they appear to have great selection. I'm going to put in an order for some leg of lamb and porterhouses for this upcoming weekend and will post my impressions of their quality later.

At the Alexandria location they often have pre-packaged thick-cut (about 1.5 inches) angus tenderloin. If I remember correctly it's labeled organic and from Australia. I've found it to be very good, and it costs less than a comparable cut at Union Meat.

To keep your Scottish blood nice and cool, you should probably stick to Trader Joe's and Costco for beef. And stay away from the Organic Butcher of McLean. His meat is grass-fed, locally raised and aged. It's very good, but it is REALLY, REALLY expensive.

I'm one of those people who worries about that kind of stuff (more concerned about how they're treated as opposed to what they're fed). I've been paying through the nose at WF and am getting fed up with it.

I took JPW's advice and checked out the farmers market at Takoma Park - it is VERY nice. I think I'm going to make Smith Meadows Farms my semi-regular source for meat. The prices are more than competitive with WF and they appear to have great selection. I'm going to put in an order for some leg of lamb and porterhouses for this upcoming weekend and will post my impressions of their quality later.

I've been buying locally grass fed buffalo and beef flank steak for about $10 a pound from Cibola and Mt. Vernon farms, saving myself $5 a pound vs WF. I do keep going back to WF for their flat irons at $5.99 a pound though. Recently, I've been at WF a few times where they were out or very low on the flat irons. I hope that demand does not drive them to skirt steak and flank steak pricing.

I picked up a flank steak at Magruder's today for $4.99/lb, and grilled it over Mesquite wood. It had a wonderful flavor, which I attribute to both the smoke and, perhaps, the subtheraputic antibiotics. I remain hopeful that I won't turn into a bus-sized truffle by Memorial Day.

I'm looking for pork cheeks. I tried My Butcher and More, and I tried the Union Meat Company at Eastern Market ("If it's part of the pig - we sell it." - they lie) and I've tried Wagshal's, and nobody has them or can get them. The guy at WF looked at me like I was insane when I asked about them.

I will call Lancaster Meats later today, but does anyone else have any suggestions? Maybe if I were more of a regular at one of these butchers they might entertain the request?

We have a Korean butcher that sells just about everything. Maybe one of the Korean fluent members of our board knows how to ask for Pork Cheeks? And how about Beef Cheeks.

I went last night to buy short ribs and hangar steak. I had to demonstrate the American way I wanted short ribs, but they are pretty.

We have a Korean butcher that sells just about everything. Maybe one of the Korean fluent members of our board knows how to ask for Pork Cheeks? And how about Beef Cheeks.

I went last night to buy short ribs and hangar steak. I had to demonstrate the American way I wanted short ribs, but they are pretty.

Where is this butcher located?

I'm looking for pork cheeks. I tried My Butcher and More, and I tried the Union Meat Company at Eastern Market ("If it's part of the pig - we sell it." - they lie) and I've tried Wagshal's, and nobody has them or can get them. The guy at WF looked at me like I was insane when I asked about them.

I will call Lancaster Meats later today, but does anyone else have any suggestions? Maybe if I were more of a regular at one of these butchers they might entertain the request?

You making guanciale?

Isn't that made with jowls? :P

Scott's going for something more like the pork cheeks I had at Corduroy earlier this year, for a "nose to tail" dinner. (Actually, it will be "nose to trotters.")

Ah. Come on throw in some tail, it is much easier to find.

Isn't that made with jowls? :P

Are jowls and cheeks not the same thing. :lol: I don't claim to be any more knowledgeable on obscure pig parts than I am on the genus of truffles, so please clue me in. :P

Scott's going for something more like the pork cheeks I had at Corduroy earlier this year, for a "nose to tail" dinner. (Actually, it will be "nose to trotters.")
I don't know precisely what I'm going for - I just have the phrase "braised pork cheeks" stuck in my head. If anyone has the Babbo Cookbook, I believe there's something in there - can anyone check for me? B)
Ah. Come on throw in some tail, it is much easier to find.

I don't think I'm allowed to go chasing tail anymore. :D

Whoa-ho-ho, I slay me. Actually I was considering including that on the menu - any suggestions?

According to the Website of "The Other White Meat", hog jowl is the cheek of a hog.

Actually Batali sez, in the Babbo Cookbook which the Montgomery County Library kindly loaned me,

The cheek is the small muscular portion of the whole jowl, and is quite simple to remove. Do not discard the remainder; make it into guanciale.

So Heather was right, as usual.

They too were not able to help me.

I did get a call back from Wagshal's just now, telling me that they can get me cheeks, but only in 60 lb quantities. I said that was considerably more than I need. :P

I've seen whole heads and half heads available at the DC Farmer's Market b/t NY & FL aves.

Actually Batali sez, in the Babbo Cookbook which the Montgomery County Library kindly loaned me,
I have a rather high regard for Mario when it comes to Italian food, but for your one reference from him I can find a hundred that say the hog jowl is the cheek of a hog. Google with the search terms hog jowl cheek and you'll see what I mean. And of course I have a high regard for Heather.

I have a rather high regard for Mario when it comes to Italian food, but for your one reference from him I can find a hundred that say the hog jowl is the cheek of a hog. Google with the search terms hog jowl cheek and you'll see what I mean. And of course I have a high regard for Heather.

True, but the portion that he is looking to cook is the cheek muscle and not the entire piece. According to Niman Ranch web site the jowl is from the jaw and neck area.

I was using human anatomy as a reference - cheeks are the delightful part you pinch on a toddler's face, and jowls are what hard-livin' politicians sport just above the obligatory red striped necktie. I plead ignorance and am willing to be corrected when it come to the porcine visage.

According to Niman Ranch web site the jowl is from the jaw and neck area.
I'm really not trying to belabor this. And I don't doubt you, although I can't find a definition of jowl on Niman Ranch's website. But speaking of Niman Ranch, I ordered some guanciale from them a couple of years ago, and it was, well, crap. It was a thin sheet, about 2/3 of an inch thick, kind of dry, much saltier than guanciale ought to be, and had no lean in it at all. It was much like the picture on their website. Also, I'm pretty sure at one time they were offering fresh cheek or jowl, I forget which word they used, but it's not on their website now. Has anyone looked for pork cheek (or jowl) at one of the Asian markets? They certainly have some parts of the pig not usually found in other shops (I saw pork uteruses at one).

Have you tried Stoltzfus Meats at the Germantown Amish Market? There is also another Amish butcher at the Annapolis location. If they don't have it, maybe they can bring some back for you when they come back in the morning? It's worth a try.

Went to the DC Farmer's Market this morning and I was blown away by the size, variety and selection. However, neither bunnies with entrails nor fresh hog jowls were to be found. There were plenty of cleaned bunnies, and smoked jowls, as well as virtually every other part of most domesticated farm animals (at least one marketeer had mountain oysters).

So I think I'm just gonna follow Mrs. B's advice and buy a whole head there on Tuesday- at $0.99 per pound and approx ten pounds each (looks like the skulls are removed, generally), I figure it's worth my while.

For a dinner for four I figure I'd want one cheek per adult, so that's two heads. I guess I can follow Mario's advice and make guanciale with the rest of the jowls, but there will still be a snout, ears and, um, forehead to deal with. Any suggestions?

For a dinner for four I figure I'd want one cheek per adult, so that's two heads. I guess I can follow Mario's advice and make guanciale with the rest of the jowls, but there will still be a snout, ears and, um, forehead to deal with. Any suggestions?
Antipsychotic drugs?

Headcheese? I hear Waitman has a good recipe. :P Maybe he'll lend you his saw and crowbar.