Papa John's, a Kentucky Chain - The Third-Largest Pizza Restaurant In The United States

There is a great untapped market for real pizza with real ingredients delivered to the hungry upper middle class of the DC suburbs. Unfortunately, that market is now tapped by the Pappa Johns and Dominos and others, where the dough is shipped in from somewhere else, the toppings come in bags and the sauces come in cans....the ovens are gas-fired conveyer belts. To most of our children, this is pizza, the only pizza they've ever consumed and therefore their quality gauge....

That's a hell of a generalization, but here's a comparison:

A large 3-topping pizza from PJs is $13.50, delivered. At Mamma Lucia, for example, which probably has the best NY style pizza in Rockville, it's $22.50. That's 2/3 more money - hard to justify for anyone on a budget.

And if you only refer to those probably not worried about the extra few bucks, the "upper middle class" as you say, Pizza CS, Mamma Lucia's, Giuseppi's and others do a brisk business in Rockville, so there are plenty of kids who didn't grow up on PJs.

• Like 1

I think Papa Johns SUCKS but it is cheap and when the wallet is low and you have to feed the kids...

I swear I think I see Papa John's at far more "functions" (school events, etc.) than any other pizza, including Pizza Hut and Domino's. I haven't read the article about the Freitas family, but remember about twenty years ago, there was a similar piece written about a Washington-area Domino's franchisee who was positively raking in money.

I think the problem is people using the term "pizza" as a single, ubiquitous word for what is really many different genres of food product.

There's the (IMO) quintessential 'NY Style Pizza' to which DanielK refers.

There's the purist 'Italian Style' pizza that one finds at a 2-Amy's.

There's that 'Deep Dish Thing' that no East Coast-er would ever call pizza that they serve in Chicago.

Then there is the 'I've just gotten home from work/school/errands and don't have the energy to cook...what can I pay someone to deliver to my door for me' pizza.  THIS is what we speak of when we talk of PJs, Domino's, Pizza Hut.  It's simply NOT the same thing as the others, and cannot be judged next to them.  I have enjoyed each of these food types in turn and willingly admit that PJ's shows up at my door on at least a monthly basis.

• Like 1

I think PJs probably has less sugar in the crust and sauce than the other major chains (Domino's, Pizza Hut, etc.)

I'ts possible.  From the quick look I took at nutrition facts at PH and PJ, it ranges between 2 and 8 grams of sugar per slice, depending on what you order.  4 grams is about a teaspoon.  Domino's doesn't list sugar separately from other carbs, but they do have complete ingredients lists there if you click through, and sugar is added to just about everything.  As are significant numbers of things I would wager people don't think are involved if they order, for example, grilled chicken on the pizza.

I have a lot of access to PJ's and simply don't take advantage of it, because it is among my least favorite foods.  Among the pizzas I find the thin crust the tastiest, verging on acceptable/ok/eatable.  As DanielK said above the price is very good relative to anything else in the area.

I've also had an opportunity to get a tiny peak inside their operations locally.  They do run a tight ship, keep employees, and create an environment that has made this local franchisee extremely successful.  kudos to them on that basis.

• Like 1

It would like make my world if when ordering delivery pizza Hubby would instead use Lost Dog, Pete's or go pick it up from Pupatella, but that world, except maybe the lost dog part, just isn't going to happen.  But of course then I would be more tempted to eat his pizza which wouldn't be good for me.  The only good thing is PJs to me is less tempting.  I grew up eating Pizza Hut and pizza from two other places in town that are not chains and PJ just doesn't resemble any of those.  The crust is too puffy, there is too much cheese for me, I don't love the toppings.  I do save the garlic dipping sauce and use it to make chicken pitas or white pizza sauce.  And again, I do like the peppers.  I imagine Hubby orders it because it is faster and cheaper than lost dog and they probably save his CC info so it is really easy for him to order it online.

Of the big three - Papa John's, Domino's, Pizza Hut - I like Papa John's the most.  I also like it better than the wide variety of other pizza delivery that I have gotten over the years at my house - Vocelli, Angelico, Pizza Boli's, Paisano's, etc.  That isn't saying much though, as evidenced by the fact that we last ordered pizza to our house, I think, five years ago.

I stopped ordering from PJs based off their reaction to the ACA. Honestly, it was the only chain pizza that I liked - especially when it was cold. God, it was so much better cold.

I had it last weekend for the first time in ages and...well, I was sick as a dog half the night. I guess now that I'm eating healthier it just doesn't sit well with me.

Oh well. I thought that'd make me sad but it really doesn't. I'll save my pizza quota for good pizza.

• Like 1

Papa John's is not half bad. Nor is Dominos. Nor is Pizza Hut. I remember a local tv segment about fifteen years ago where they toured the home kitchens of famous chefs. In one of the chef's refrigerators they found a box of Dominos. He made no apologies, and said it was one of he and his wife's favorite things to eat when hey got home late at night.

To everything there is a season. Even Papa Johns.

• Like 1

I haven't ordered PJ's in over a year.  Hate the garlic dipping sauce especially.  Lately, if I do order in a pie, I get a Greek pizza from Paisano's and order a Greek salad alongside.  I find that one palatable for an order in -- not as cheap, but since I would  throw away the PJ's pizza after 1 slice, at least the Paisano's isn't a waste of money.

Interesting to see in this article http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/02/05/a-rare-look-inside-the-koch-brothers-political-empire/ that Papa John's founder is one of the largest donors to the Koch brothers' political organizations.  If I hadn't already vowed to skip their pizza, because I think it is gross, this article would give me another reason.

• Like 1

I swear I think I see Papa John's at far more "functions" (school events, etc.) than any other pizza, including Pizza Hut and Domino's. I haven't read the article about the Freitas family, but remember about twenty years ago, there was a similar piece written about a Washington-area Domino's franchisee who was positively raking in money.

My first job was at the Papa John's in Tenleytown - PJ's is very willing to negotiate on prices for large orders, which is probably why so many corporate accounts use them.

I think the lowest I ever saw them go was around $6 per pizza on an order of 250 large pies.  (Which took me 3 trips that completely filled my station wagon with all the seats down - no tip either!)

• Like 2

On 1/30/2014 at 10:41 PM, DanielK said:

That's a hell of a generalization, but here's a comparison:

A large 3-topping pizza from PJs is $13.50, delivered. At Mamma Lucia, for example, which probably has the best NY style pizza in Rockville, it's $22.50. That's 2/3 more money - hard to justify for anyone on a budget.

And if you only refer to those probably not worried about the extra few bucks, the "upper middle class" as you say, Pizza CS, Mamma Lucia's, Giuseppi's and others do a brisk business in Rockville, so there are plenty of kids who didn't grow up on PJs.

This is such an apt description.  I experience it often and I’m not further hamstrung by being a family of 4 wherein the decision is bigger.

I can get PJ’s pizza and a soda wherein I have a discount or Fireworks pizza and a soda for lunch or a late lunch dinner.  They are both remarkably nearby and convenient FW’s pizza is infinitely tastier.  PJ’s pizza and soda come in at abt half the price.  

Really don’t like PJ’s pizza but the price differential is dramatically compelling.  

My decisions are not that of a family of 4 or 5 on a budget.  The price difference has an enormous impact for families w/different income streams and burdensome costs

I can order Papa John's on my phone, fully paid-for, with tip + any discounts applied in a minute and have it delivered to babysitter and kids in about half an hour. That's super convenient but I'm going to do my best to avoid them and support local businesses. 

• Like 1

Dinner at my house isn't always free-range this or organic that. Sometimes my wife and I are too busy and it is breakfast again. Don't judge.

Last night, however, we were both exhausted and I had worked 15 hour and  would be home about 7:30. Text wife: "Need carry out, Thai? Vietnamese?" She responded that my youngest was having a sleepover and they had requested pizza. Fine. Get an order of wings, too.

Should have stopped and gotten some Astro Glide before I arrived home.

I have had Papa Johns numerous time and it is just shitty, wasted calories but it is pizza and will do in a pinch. They have a model like Bed, Bath and Beyond where there is always 20% off everything, but with them it is 50% off If one of 30 different things happen the previous day and you know the Promo Code.

So the order of shitty sustenance arrives and I am handed the receipt. I glanced at it and thought I was reading the receipt incorrectly, so I did something I have never done with carryout before. I got my reading glasses...and then confirmed what I thought was a blurry impossibility. $55.80.

This has to be a mistake. I then did another thing I haven't done in years....I looked at the receipt detail. Two shitty Cheese Pizzas, $15 each. Sixteen crappy wings, $18. $3 delivery fee. $4.80 Tax......et voila, $55.80

Another first occurred next, as it flashed through my mind not to tip on top of this outrage. Alas, I knew he had nothing to do with it, tipped $12, and ended up spending $67.80 on two Papa John's pizzas and some "fit for human consumption" grade wings.

Had my wife been in possession of the magic promo code it would have been cut in half to around $31, but she didn't and it never even occurred to us that we were doing the "culinary" (term used super loosely) equivalent of buying a new car for more than sticker price. Fuck you, Papa John's, and never again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1