Ice Cream, Gelato, Sorbet

Joe H

Does anyone have a good basic ice cream recipe, too? Emphasis on cream? I prefer a creamy ice cream as opposed to a more icy ice cream. I'd like to adapt it to take advantage of all the berries coming soon. My strawberry rendition was too icy.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My go-to recipe for many years has been Keller's: 2 cups cream. 2 cups milk, 3/4 cups sugar, 10 yolks -- flavor as you will. Take your time with the Creme Anglaise and it comes out lusciously smooth.

I don't know if it's possible to make a fruit cream that's not icy -- I tend to go for plaim vanilla (or caramel) and just out the fruit on top,

Does anyone have a good basic ice cream recipe, too? Emphasis on cream? I prefer a creamy ice cream as opposed to a more icy ice cream. I'd like to adapt it to take advantage of all the berries coming soon. My strawberry rendition was too icy.

Look upthread to post #32. I made strawberry ice cream last week and had no issues with iciness.

My go-to recipe for many years has been Keller's: 2 cups cream. 2 cups milk, 3/4 cups sugar, 10 yolks -- flavor as you will. Take your time with the Creme Anglaise and it comes out lusciously smooth.

I don't know if it's possible to make a fruit cream that's not icy -- I tend to go for plaim vanilla (or caramel) and just out the fruit on top,

Take my time with creme anglaise and it comes out lusciously smooth.....I assume this is the basis for the ice cream itself, but what are the steps to take said ingredients to prep prior to placing in ice cream maker? TIA

Look upthread to post #32. I made strawberry ice cream last week and had no issues with iciness.

So.....don't overmash the berries and only add them to the ice cream in the last, say, 2-5 minutes of the ice cream churning (I usually have mine go 25 min).

Right?

I go a different route and cook down the berries with sugar to get rid of some of the water content. A lot of the iciness is dependent on your machine, though. If you have a higher-end one with a compressor (I don't), it's much less of a concern. You get super-smooth ice creams and sorbets out of those.

I go a different route and cook down the berries with sugar to get rid of some of the water content. A lot of the iciness is dependent on your machine, though. If you have a higher-end one with a compressor (I don't), it's much less of a concern. You get super-smooth ice creams and sorbets out of those.

I have no compressor...I guess I now have compressor-envy. ;-p

Well...I totally farted up my rendition of this. The base turned out lovely, I thought and took very little time at all to get to the right temperature (and consistency presumably, it coated the back of a spoon).

I think I erred on not chilling the base down very well before tossing it in to the ice cream maker. The main bowl unit was extremely well chilled (days and days kept in the freezer), but the base was only in the refrigerator for maybe 60-90 minutes. The ice cream never set.

So, I take everything out, put the base in the refrigerator, clean the bowl, put it back in the freezer and try it all again about 6-7 hours later. Still no dice. It *started* to set, but never really got anywhere. So I emptied everything again in to a bowl and chilled it all down again for a few hours and had the base in the freezer for a bit. Still didn't set.

I gave up.

I know I should have just waited overnight for it all to chill well down to begin with, in retrospect. Or at least for 4-5 hours. I was trying to get it all done before having to head out somewhere and this is what it got me.

Ah well, I will try the recipe again sometime.

Well...I totally farted up my rendition of this. The base turned out lovely, I thought and took very little time at all to get to the right temperature (and consistency presumably, it coated the back of a spoon).

I think I erred on not chilling the base down very well before tossing it in to the ice cream maker. The main bowl unit was extremely well chilled (days and days kept in the freezer), but the base was only in the refrigerator for maybe 60-90 minutes. The ice cream never set.

So, I take everything out, put the base in the refrigerator, clean the bowl, put it back in the freezer and try it all again about 6-7 hours later. Still no dice. It *started* to set, but never really got anywhere. So I emptied everything again in to a bowl and chilled it all down again for a few hours and had the base in the freezer for a bit. Still didn't set.

I gave up.

I know I should have just waited overnight for it all to chill well down to begin with, in retrospect. Or at least for 4-5 hours. I was trying to get it all done before having to head out somewhere and this is what it got me.

Ah well, I will try the recipe again sometime.

I tried the base recipe again -- this time i made sure EVERYTHING was super-chilled and the ice cream still never set. I do not think there is anything wrong with my ice cream maker. Sure, it has no compressor of its own, but I don't think that should matter.

So, I'm still looking for an excellent base ice cream recipe that makes for rich and creamy ice cream that I can adapt for different flavors and fruits.

HELP!

I tried the base recipe again -- this time i made sure EVERYTHING was super-chilled and the ice cream still never set. I do not think there is anything wrong with my ice cream maker. Sure, it has no compressor of its own, but I don't think that should matter.

So, I'm still looking for an excellent base ice cream recipe that makes for rich and creamy ice cream that I can adapt for different flavors and fruits.

HELP!

OK...I attempted to make a basic vanilla ice cream today from a book where the recipes ALWAYS WORK. And yet this failed. I think my ice cream maker is somehow no longer working.

So 2 questions --

1) Any suggestions for a replacement automatic ice cream maker at the sub $100 price point? The Kitchen Aid attachment option looks good. Not interested in hand cranking anything. Also can't afford one of the ones with its own compressor at this time. TIA

2) I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my current failing ice cream maker. Is it wrong to leave the freezing bowl in the freezer for long periods of time? I store mine in the freezer so that it is ALWAYS super cold when I get in the mood to make ice cream. Did I damage the thing somehow by doing this?

Thanks all.

I've also read that your freezer must be nine degrees or lower for the freezer bowl to be properly cold, or the ice cream won't set. I'm too lazy to get a thermometer and an ice cream maker, so I don't know how true this is in practice.

I've owned a Cuisinart for several years. I keep the bowl in the freezer at all times-no problems there. I cool the ice cream mixture in the fridge prior to adding it to the maker. I've never decreased the temp of my freezer to accommodate the chilling needs of ice cream and bowl.

I've never had a problem with freezing, so I'm not sure I have any insight other than to offer what's been my experience.

Good Luck!

I've owned a Cuisinart for several years. I keep the bowl in the freezer at all times-no problems there. I cool the ice cream mixture in the fridge prior to adding it to the maker. I've never decreased the temp of my freezer to accommodate the chilling needs of ice cream and bowl.

I've never had a problem with freezing, so I'm not sure I have any insight other than to offer what's been my experience.

Good Luck!

Oh believe me, I chill the mixture down in the refrigerator but good. And still....fail.

SO I am seriously thinking of adding the kitchen aid attachment to my xmas list. The upside is it can make 2 quarts at a time.

Oh believe me, I chill the mixture down in the refrigerator but good. And still....fail.

SO I am seriously thinking of adding the kitchen aid attachment to my xmas list. The upside is it can make 2 quarts at a time.

I'm pretty happy with the KA attachment. It seems to make smoother, less-icy ice cream than the Cuisinart.

Does anyone else out there make their own ice cream? I bought an ice cream maker (a relatively inexpensive Cuisinart that was on sale at Kohl's) a few months ago for my dinner club because I wanted to make malt flavored ice cream. I don't eat ice cream all that often, but when I do I buy the stuff from my local market that is outrageously expensive so figured why not just start making my own.

Wondering if anyone else does and if you have any favorite recipes? I bought strawberries and organic rhubarb at the market on Sunday so that's what I'm planning to make in the next day or two. I can't decide whether to puree all of the fruit after I cook the rhubarb or leave some chunks. I think I may puree most, but leave some smalls chunks of strawberries.

Here's the malt ice cream recipe from David Lebowitz that I used btw. I didn't add malt balls and increased the malt powder slightly (to 3/4c I believe) to make up for it, it was delicious!

http://chowhound.cho...m/topics/293375 I have never been modest and this is not a time to start. Linked is the single best flavor of ice cream I have ever had in my life. I make it in a 40+ year old White Mountain freezer hand cranking the Lewes Dairy heavy cream which is packed in rock salt and ice then covered in burlap to temper. I make the caramel from scratch in four pots and use Vermont butter/French butter-any exceptional butter that I can find. It is also tricky picking the absolute moment that the syrup browns for the caramel. BUT, I've made this for a lot of people including Roberto, Fabio, Jeff Black and a number of others. I've also decided that is the single last biet of anything that I would like to have on the face of the earth before I leave (assuming a UFO was going to pick me up and take me somewhere...

I am also into hyperbole. This will live up to it.

After eating the Haagen-Dazs special edition Vanilla Bean Espresso (yum!), I decided to try replicating it at home. I used a custard base with half a vanilla bean scraped into it, which I froze in our 15-year-old Rival ice cream freezer. For the espresso part, I used a tweaked version of Ann Amernick's coffee extract (6 tablespoons Kahlua mixed with half a cup of espresso powder; her recipe calls for 6 tablespoons dark rum to 3/4 cup espresso powder). After freezing the base, I tried to swirl in some of the extract, but it got more completely blended as I put it into its storage container. Azami and I agreed that it had only a mild coffee flavor, so I swirled in more extract. Not the same, but good nonetheless. I made some brown sugar/bourbon ice cream earlier this summer that we agreed was better overall.

Your daily history break:

The first recorded appearance of ice cream in the New World occurred in Maryland in 1744 at the table of Governor Thomas Bladen, as chronicled by one William Black of Virginia. Bladen served a strawberry ice cream in May, to the astonishment of his guests.

http://www.idfa.org/news--views/media-kits/ice-cream/the-history-of-ice-cream/

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/IceCream/IceCreamHistory.htm

http://historymyths.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/myth-ice-cream-was-introduced-to-blank-by-blank/

I really like ice cream, & I do not try to make it, because if I was successful, & it tasted good, I would soon be the same size as my SUV. So I try to spread out my intake of tiny cups of Starbucks java chip frappuccino, & give it up completely at times...Although I would be tempted, if it could astonish my guests....

Anyone in the vicinity of 18th and K St NW owes it to themselves to stop in to Café Grande and get a Trickling Springs Creamery Soft Ice Cream Cone. I've been wanting to try it for some time, and decided today was the perfect day to do so! (FYI they also have Counter Culture Coffee.)