Ray's The Classics, Silver Spring - Michael Landrum's Classic Steakhouse Sold To His Trusted Employees

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it OK to start talking about some of the great stuff we had at the preview dinners?

Yes, but please bear in mind: those dinners were for enjoyment only and are not necessarily indicative of dishes that will be served once we are open; and even so the dishes the groups tasted were Version 2.0 and where we are at now with them is more like Version 6.3.

Yes, but please bear in mind: those dinners were for enjoyment only
And enjoyable they were. For those early adopters out there, be prepared for pork chops and veal chops on what I will refer to as a "RTS" scale (meaning big and good). Also, I hope they will be keeping the signature "mushroom cap" stuffed with marrow. And be prepared for some great appetizers. I really like the green olive stuffed with bleu cheese and wrapped in what I recall was phyllo and deep fried; what a flavor burst. ( I hope they survived the cut).

Yes, but please bear in mind: those dinners were for enjoyment only and are not necessarily indicative of dishes that will be served once we are open; and even so the dishes the groups tasted were Version 2.0 and where we are at now with them is more like Version 6.3.

The pre-historic, version 2.0 meal offered to our group "for enjoyment only" consisted of:

Wild yeast bread

Shrimp baclava

Soy paste

Orange blossom

Chicken liver

Maryland lump crab

Olives stuffed with anchovies or blue cheese

Chilled carrot soup with almonds and tarragon

Crab in brown butter sauce

Grilled pepper crab fritters with blue cheese

Pickled stringbeans, onions, red and yellow beets

Deviled eggs with steak tartare, capers, mustard, pickles.

Choice of:

Veal chop, European style from quebec, "more mature, richer, heartier" with fava beans

Grilled pork chop with cabbage slaw and Dijon sauce

Wild Mediterranean sea bass en papillote with infused aromatics

USDA prime New York steak, farm raised, “the important part is the butchering and the aging”

Strawberry tart

White and dark mixed chocolate mousse

Sorry, but the coffee machine isn’t working, no beverage

Grilled pork chop with cabbage slaw and Dijon sauce

USDA prime New York steak, farm raised, "the important part is the butchering and the aging"

The cabbage slaw with the pork chop had a bit of smokiness and heat produced by the addition of tasso ham and the steak was available with a black pepper crust and a port reduction sauce.

The pre-historic, version 2.0 meal offered to our group "for enjoyment only" consisted of:
Looks like someone took notes. How long have you been waiting for permission to post that? :)

That was some of the best bread I've ever had. I thought the selection of the four spreads (apple butter, duck fat, and two other delicious options - I forget what they were, I did NOT take notes) were amazing, although I felt they were being wasted on such an already amazing-tasting bread.

The olives were crazy delicious. I don't like olives, and my fiancee hates olives, anchovies, and blue cheese, but we were sorely tempted to fight our tablemates tooth, nail, knife and fork to get more because, as they say, you can't orgasm over just one.

I seem to recall the soup being a little heavy on a particular flavor (fennel?), but overall it was a cool and refreshing summer treat.

I was sorely tempted to get the steak, but I wanted to try something I couldn't get at RTS. I had the veal. What the @#%! is wrong with us Americans and our veal? This was AMAZING! Much better than the pasty white veal I'm used to. I was lucky enough to get a nibble of my fiancee's mushmarrow (that's what I'm calling the mushroom with the marrow - clever, no?).

The white cheddar potatoes and spaetzle were like the older, more developed cousins of RTS's spinach and mashed potatoes. I hope they kept them as sides!

The shortbread(?) biscuits in our evolved strawberry shortcakes were Pastries of the highest order of deliciousness. My fiancee ended up with the glass o' chocolate and we each thought we got the better end of the deal until we switched plates and realized we were BOTH right.

Sadly, I'm dieting and trying to save money, so unless someone can find a way to convert abdominal fat into gold, I'll have to wait a while before I should make the pilgrimage across the River.

I'm very much looking forward to hearing reports on RTC 6.3.

The olives were crazy delicious. I don't like olives, and my fiancee hates olives, anchovies, and blue cheese, but we were sorely tempted to fight our tablemates tooth, nail, knife and fork to get more because, as they say, you can't orgasm over just one.

So you either have had very poor ones or this dish tasted nothing like the items in it. BTW, how many things don't you like, but have enjoyed them in a restaurant?

Trying to figure out when I can easily get to SS...

Geez Dan, maybe you coulda used some other preposition instead of over? Like, maybe, from?

Note to self: avoid eating olives at Dan's house unless they're individually packaged :)

Yes, but please bear in mind: those dinners were for enjoyment only and are not necessarily indicative of dishes that will be served once we are open
What really impressed me about the preview eats was the obvious devotion to the deep soul of classic American cuisine.

Because Michael was insistent that we not post about the previews, I was surprised to see a non-DR F&F dinner report on Chowhound. Doubly so because it had little overlap with what we ate.

Looking forward to the opening menu and the future launching of lunching.

I hope they will be keeping the signature "mushroom cap" stuffed with marrow. And be prepared for some great appetizers. I really like the green olive stuffed with bleu cheese and wrapped in what I recall was phyllo and deep fried; what a flavor burst. ( I hope they survived the cut).

Oh my, they were so good!

We went to the Saturday edition of the preview, and I believe our choice of fish was halibut, but nobody at our table ordered it. I'd try it.

I was told that the veal was grass fed, hence not the pale variety.

Great place!

Recovered from the delete bin. Click

The postings make the food sound delicious, Landrum sounds like my kind of crank, and I no longer have to worry about crossing a river to get to food :) . But here's the question. I've still got a budget to worry about. Does anybody have a sense of entree prices? Roughly? I don't think I've seen that kind of info posted anywhere (but perhaps I have not searched adequately--apologies if so).

Just called for a reservation and it looks they aren't open Monday and Tuesday next week. Just a heads up. Looks like we are heading to RTS for my girlfriend's birthday dinner on Tuesday... By the way I am moving in with her in 2 weeks in Downtown Silver Spring, is it bad that I devote more thought to how sweet it will be living across the street from RTC than to moving in with my girlfriend? I guess in 8 months or so she will be the only one of her friends that will be able to say she got left for a pork chop.

To make it easy to remember, the number is also

(301) LUV-RAYS

Damn you, you are just too clever. I was guarding this as my own secret pleasure. I should have known better than to think this would get by you. Once again your genius has foiled me, but I will be back, back with an even greater plan. Then no one will stop me. No one!

The whole Chowhound thread has been removed.
Wow! Catscradle's July 20th original post was on CH until 16 hours after a link was added here.

Basically, "catscradle" identified themself as being a frequent RTS customer, related to a RTS employee, an attendee at a Monday nite preview dinner with the RTS crew and went on to describe the food/decor (details overcome by v6.3).

I was guarding this as my own secret pleasure.
Don't feel bad for him -- I'm sure he has others.

Edited for clarity

Just called for a reservation and it looks they aren't open Monday and Tuesday next week.

If the blurb in the Post is to be believed, they are open Wednesday through Saturday for dinner only. Tuesday dinner and lunch (unspecified days) will be added, but not yet.

Now the next question.. reservations? :)
They're taking 'em. I called and scored one for Friday night.
I made one for Saturday. (Note: I was asked to call that afternoon between 2 and 3 to confirm. I'd be happy to drive there and confirm in person if they wanted me to ....)

Would anyone who is going there soon please check and see if those to-die-for crab fritters are on the menu? Those things are like crack--I got addicted with the first bite! :)

During the preview dinner, for a fleeting moment I seriously considered killing you and everyone else at our table so I could have those crab fritters all to myself. They were that good.

Maybe they're too dangerous to be on the menu...

During the preview dinner, for a fleeting moment I seriously considered killing you and everyone else at our table so I could have those crab fritters all to myself. They were that good.

Maybe they're too dangerous to be on the menu...

Well, sweetie, it was YOUR husband who eschewed the appetizers, leaving an extra fritter--which I rudely grabbed before asking if anyone else wanted it. The trick is to sit with POLITE people. :)

Damn you, you are just too clever. I was guarding this as my own secret pleasure. I should have known better than to think this would get by you. Once again your genius has foiled me, but I will be back, back with an even greater plan. Then no one will stop me. No one!

Gee, Brain. What are we going to do tonight?

The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world.

sorry, had to share the first thing that came to my mind there :)

The crab fritters were indeed on the menu.

Where was everyone? I expected a full DR contingent, and JPW and I had to knock back a whole mess of food and drinks all by ourselves. Not that I'm complaining or anything...

A few thoughts from RTC first night.

1)FONDUE!!!!!

2)The menu has no appetizers.

3)Barstools comfortable enough to last through a 3+ hour dining/drinking experience

4)A wine list that puts any other in Monkey County to shame for their limitations and prices.

5)A wine list that puts most others in the DC area to shame for their limitations and prices.

6)A wine list that spanks those of all other steakhouses with a leather-clad paddle and sends them crying to mommy for their prices.

7)A fair amount of what is on the menu was on display during the charity dinners. One notable exception -- fried chicken. Excellent.

8)Michael - clean shaven, freshly shorn, recently showered, and in a suit! :)

9)Similar to my reaction whenever I see my bill at A&J (albeit at a higher price point), when we got the check I felt like we had stolen something.

10)Crab fritters go great with the Muga Rose.

Excellent report, Joe. Do you recall what's offered by the glass?

Beyond the Muga (which Dan and I just got a bottle of), unfortunately not.

Michael will certainly correct this later, but I fuzzily recall --

2 Shiraz, 2 Pinot Noirs and a Cab.

2 Chardonnays and a couple of other whites to be named later.

The most expensive by the glass wine is a whopping $10! I won't even tell you what the least expensive is as I don't want to spoil the rampant jaw-dropping that will occur when people look at it.

PS - edit to add there are 4 bubblies by the glass available. A couple of them are higher priced than the $10 a glass mentioned above

Ok, JPW & DanielK, come on! Give me some estimate of the price of entrees, please (feel in best whiny voice of child here!).
The fried chicken was $16 and change if memory serves me right. Top entree for one was $32.

Let me reiterate that his wine prices are ridiculously low compared to most equivalent restaurants (esp in MoCo). Or as Michael has put it -- his wine prices are reasonable, it's most of the rest of the restaurant industry that's ripping you off.

A few thoughts from RTC first night.

1)FONDUE!!!!!

2)The menu has no appetizers.

3)Barstools comfortable enough to last through a 3+ hour dining/drinking experience

4)A wine list that puts any other in Monkey County to shame for their limitations and prices.

5)A wine list that puts most others in the DC area to shame for their limitations and prices.

6)A wine list that spanks those of all other steakhouses with a leather-clad paddle and sends them crying to mommy for their prices.

7)A fair amount of what is on the menu was on display during the charity dinners. One notable exception -- fried chicken. Excellent.

8)Michael - clean shaven, freshly shorn, recently showered, and in a suit! :)

9)Similar to my reaction whenever I see my bill at A&J (albeit at a higher price point), when we got the check I felt like we had stolen something.

10)Crab fritters go great with the Muga Rose.

Before either of us make such sweeping statements about wine, lists, pricing, wine service and temperature we should each try the restaurant the other wrote about. I raved about the new Black's as you rave about the new Ray's. As you believe the new Ray's ("puts any other in Monkey county to shame") so do I feel about the new Black's. In truth, regardless of which is better (if either is) Montgomery County is much the better for what amounts to a new level of wine service. Take a look at my post on the Black's thread: 260 labels, over 20 by the glass, Schott Zweisel 24 ounce glasses, correct temperature, a 20' long glass enclosed floor to ceiling exposed cellar dead center in the restaurant and very fair pricing for an extremely intelligent list.

Edited by Joe H

Before either of us make such sweeping statements about wine, lists, pricing, wine service and temperature we should each try the restaurant the other wrote about.

In truth, regardless of which is better (if either is) Montgomery County is much the better for what amounts to a new level of wine service.

In re: sentence #1 -- Fair enough. Sometimes enthusiasm results in hyperbole.

In re: sentence #2 -- True. For those of us who live here, very happily true.

This is my first post and I have to say that reading other people's perspectives and their openness to accept everybody else's gave me the courage to come out of the closet.

My dinner at RTC in SS was astounding to say the least-

Food AAA

Service-A (still new)

Graciousness- AAA

Lucky to have this in SS as I had never been to the VA location. Now I definitely want to go to a place that started it all.