Ray's The Classics, Silver Spring - Michael Landrum's Classic Steakhouse Sold To His Trusted Employees

What are the odds of getting a table without a reservation?

We had dinner there last night around 8 and there were some seats at the bar that were open. I think that you can order off of the full menu there and the seats are pretty comfortable

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mom and I went tonight, and we had a great time. Tried to get reservations yesterday, but they were booked. We walked in around 5:30 expecting to grab a seat at the bar, but we scored a table (and not because of any dr.com affiliation). They must hold an early table for walk-ins or maybe they had a cancellation. I'm not sure.

We spent about $90 (including tip) for 2 apps, 2 entrees (with complimentary salads), 1 side, 1 glass of wine, and 2 desserts. A lot of bang for our buck. I especially liked the sausage biscuit and the peach charolotte.

There are a few handsome, dapper gentlemen working the front of the house. Real adults, not kids from Dawson's Creek. They lend a polished, mature energy to the space.

And last but not least: seeing Michael in a suit and tie. . .priceless.

Before either of us make such sweeping statements about wine, lists, pricing, wine service and temperature we should each try the restaurant the other wrote about[...]In truth, regardless of which is better (if either is) Montgomery County is much the better for what amounts to a new level of wine service. Take a look at my post on the Black's thread: 260 labels, over 20 by the glass, Schott Zweisel 24 ounce glasses, correct temperature, a 20' long glass enclosed floor to ceiling exposed cellar dead center in the restaurant and very fair pricing for an extremely intelligent list.

I have much respect for the Black organization and have long admired Mr. Black's accomplishments. It is an honor for the fledgling wine program of Ray's The Classics to be mentioned in comparison to the long-standing ambitions of Black's Bar and Restaurant's program.

That being said, let's not have an unnatural and inappropriate "competion" be forced onto two restaurants of very different cuisines, formats, ambitions, goals, missions, target-markets, constituencies and locations. At least not on either of our respective threads.

After 15 years of experience, contacts and relationships in the much-maligned Montgomery County system, and after a $6 million investment, I would expect Black's (to which I have not been yet despite all of the glowing reports, but which is high on my list) to have a wine program far superior to Ray's The Classics'.

I look forward to learning much about, and from, the accomplishments of that program either by many enjoyable visits to Black's or in the appropriate thread.

After 15 years of experience, contacts and relationships in the much-maligned Montgomery County system, and after a $6 million investment, I would expect Black's (to which I have not been yet despite all of the glowing reports, but which is high on my list) to have a wine program far superior to Ray's The Classics'.

I must disagree. The Montgomery County alcoholic beverage system has never been maligned at all (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/maligned). To malign is to speak ill of unjustly. In the case of the MoCo system, this is not possible. Au contraire, it richly deserves all the bad things that have been said about it and much much more.

I must disagree. The Montgomery County alcoholic beverage system has never been maligned at all (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/maligned). To malign is to speak ill of unjustly. In the case of the MoCo system, this is not possible. Au contraire, it richly deserves all the bad things that have been said about it and much much more.

After hearing these and other comments against Montgomery County incessantly for the past two years (even more than, When is Silver Spring going to open?) I can honestly say that nothing bores me more and is a greater waste of my time than to listen to this continual carping whenever the subject comes up.

You either do the best with what you have and accept the additional inventory and resource allocation as a part of doing business in the most highly-educated, most widely-travelled, most broadly- and minutely-knowledgeable, and wealthiest areas in the country, or you move on to wherever better suits you.

Me, I've got work to do.

Besides, isn't there already a thread devoted to bitching about Montgomery County? Oh wait, that's on bitterwaitress.com.

I've got reservations for tomorrow - if anyone has had a chance to form any, I'd love recommendations!

Leave room for dessert.

Seriously.

I don't usually need more than a bite or two of dessert nor am I a huge fan of cake. But I LOVE the coconut cake. The same sentiment was share by those whose palates I trust. And get the peach cobbler.

Personally, I love the onlget but could be convinced to get the fried chicken. That recommendation is based on only getting to taste some skin, which I literally took out of someone's fingers as he was about to pop it in his mouth. He who ordered the chicken cut off one small piece for three of us to share because it was so good he didn't want to give any away.

The bisque is not the same as what you would get at RTS. Still good, but not the same.

And of course the devilishly good eggs on the app menu.

Leave room for dessert.

Seriously.

I don't usually need more than a bite or two of dessert nor am I a huge fan of cake. But I LOVE the coconut cake. The same sentiment was share by those whose palates I trust. And get the peach cobbler.

Personally, I love the onlget but could be convinced to get the fried chicken. That recommendation is based on only getting to taste some skin, which I literally took out of someone's fingers as he was about to pop it in his mouth. He who ordered the chicken cut off one small piece for three of us to share because it was so good he didn't want to give any away.

The bisque is not the same as what you would get at RTS. Still good, but not the same.

And of course the devilishly good eggs on the app menu.

who is making the desserts? Are they made in house?

Thanks, I have a reservation for Saturday. It almost seems silly for me to drive all the way to Silver Spring, when I can walk to the original Ray's. Is the Classics at little more upscale than Arlington? I was told they have free valet parking, which is a nice touch. I will be ordering the milk and cookies!!

Thanks, I have a reservation for Saturday. It almost seems silly for me to drive all the way to Silver Spring, when I can walk to the original Ray's. Is the Classics at little more upscale than Arlington? I was told they have free valet parking, which is a nice touch. I will be ordering the milk and cookies!!

RTC is definitely more upscale than RTS, and they do have complimentary valet parking (though there are several free garages within 2 blocks).

...Take most of your steak home, and along with the extra sides they'll throw into the box, you have at LEAST another entire meal there. ...Note: same strategy worked at Ray's the Classics on Saturday. Urp.
We were at RTC on Saturday as well. No sides found their way into the boxes. Figured it was a RTS-only deal.... :lol:
Since the sides aren't included at RTC, that makes sense. I should have put that caveat in my post - the sides that made it in to my box were the ones I didn't finish on the table.
Only half of the our leftover sides made it into the box and home with us on Friday night. Figured it was still new and I'd make sure to ask for them next time. Alas, the side that made it home wasn't mine but Mr. BLB's. :)
The above is lifted from Ray's the Steaks thread, as mentions of RTC were bleeding over. Our leftover sides at RTC were a no-show in the boxes, but that is a very small quibble. More substantively, of the sides our table ordered, the creamy onions with spaetzle, I believe a Michael L. creation and served at our preview dinner as well, are fantastic; they will be one of my side orders henceforth. The potatoes gratin were superb, and both spinach sides, one with garlic and something else I'm blanking on, the other with exotic mushrooms, were very, very good.

The above is lifted from Ray's the Steaks thread, as mentions of RTC were bleeding over. Our leftover sides at RTC were a no-show in the boxes, but that is a very small quibble. More substantively, of the sides our table ordered, the creamy onions with spaetzle, I believe a Michael L. creation and served at our preview dinner as well, are fantastic; they will be one of my side orders henceforth. The potatoes gratin were superb, and both spinach sides, one with garlic and something else I'm blanking on, the other with exotic mushrooms, were very, very good.

Sorry to whoever didn't get their leftover sides during our first week of operations.

The logistics involved in clearing several large main course plates, several more side plates, determining what gets wrapped, who wants what from among all the shared sides, how that gets divided (sometimes we're talking about only 1-2 bites here--an eagerly awaited treasure to you, a negligible "They couldn't possibly want this wrapped" amount to a harried server) are more complicated, more labor-intensive, more necessitating of mind-reading abilities (especially without clear instructions from the guest), and much more confusion-laden, all by a whole order of magnitude than actually taking your order and serving your table correctly. All during a step of service which is essentially the cleaning the table of unwanted (at least at the time) items.

As many guests would never consider taking unfinished food out of a restaurant and are offended at the question as are shocked to find out that the half-eaten biscuit, with bite marks, wasn't wrapped up with their fried chicken (Should anyone ever be expected to handle food from someone else's mouth? Ick.).

In many places, when you ask for your leftovers to go you are simple brought a box and a bag--a much more sanitary solution and one which guarantees you take home the food you want without requiring the server or busser to be both Solomon and Crespin at the same time. After encountering this refreshingly straightforward standard of service during my sojourn in St. Louis (alliteration and consonation, what a feat!), I have since always asked for a box to be brought to me if I decide to take leftovers home, and recommend this solution to everyone.

Without clear and patient and instructions from the guest, unfinished food is liable to be considered unwanted--again, unless otherwise instructed. It is our job to ascertain those things, of course, but it becomes infinitely more difficult to do so when shared sides are involved.

A successful strategy when dealing with shared sides is to serve onto your plate the sides you would like wrapped for you and then clearly and politely let the server or busser know that you would like all of the food (but not the bones oh, and not the slaw, I can't stand cabbage, but make sure to get as much of the sauce as you can in there, I l-o-o-o-o-ved the sauce) on your plate wrapped to take home.

Again, though, my apologies to whoever did not get the leftover sides they wanted wrapped. Feedback noted and appreciated, a solution is in the works.

Our leftover sides at RTC were a no-show in the boxes, but that is a very small quibble.
--edited by Emily Litella from "very small quibble" to: "Never mind!"

(They're just too damn good is the problem, see, so don't fix nuttin'. You and your staff have enough to do without worrying about the next-day lunches of us poor Pavlovian wretches.)

--edited by Emily Litella from "very small quibble" to: "Never mind!"

(They're just too damn good is the problem, see, so don't fix nuttin'. You and your staff have enough to do without worrying about the next-day lunches of us poor Pavlovian wretches.)

Actually, I am quite appreciative of the feedback. You have given me an opportunity to learn about, and hopefully fix, a problem that I would not have otherwise been immediately aware of. So thanks.

What I am mad about, though, is that you did not say hi.

I am extremely sorry to say that if someone wants a reservation for 2 people at 8:30 tonight, one may be available (I say "may" because I didn't think to ask the person who answered the phone if there was already a waitlist for tonight). :)

Wah :lol: . I tried to make a reservation for early September and was rebuffed (ok, maybe just buffed--I don't think I gave the woman a chance to do it a second time! :) ). I was told they won't be accepting reservations in September until 'sometime during the last week of August'.

We enjoyed our meal last night. Sausage biscuits were great to start then onto the filet (poivre) and hangar steak again both delicious. Michael was floating around chatting with guests and, briefly, us at the bar. They're doing the best they can with the wines given MOntgomery County regs and we enjoyed a 97 Gran Reserva Rioja for $40 decanted by our friendly bartender/server Eewa(No idea how to spell his name). When I asked where he had worked previously he mentioned Citronelle so the wine service was no surprise. Salads were good (no charge with entrees) but the one named cress had no water (cress) so we sent it back for a tasty Caesar. We also enjoyed a glass of their house rose before the red but the glass selection should be expanded and some half bottles placed on the list; however you can take an unfinished bottle home per the new law in Maryland. Unfortunately, we were too full for dessert. The room itself is sparse but we both thought the bar stools were unusally comfortable and a great place to check out the scene. We're glad Ray's The Classics is in Silver Spring!

Wah :lol: . I tried to make a reservation for early September and was rebuffed (ok, maybe just buffed--I don't think I gave the woman a chance to do it a second time! :) ). I was told they won't be accepting reservations in September until 'sometime during the last week of August'.

We are, and should have been, and will be, accepting reservations four weeks in advance. You guys are like a whole stealth management/troubleshooting undercover team. Keep the feedback coming!

we enjoyed a 97 Gran Reserva Rioja for $40

This, however, is no mistake.

Mrs JPW and I were among the tables of Rockweillers who stopped in last night. Many of you know of my Steingarten-ish attempt to learn to enjoy seafood, but count me in as already a huge fan of the crab bisque. The fried chicken and NYStrip were good as always.

The two standouts of the night:

1)Elliot's recommended Havens Syrah ($44)

2)Peach Charlotte. Peach baked in pastry with an absolutely delicious ice cream on top. Really really really good.

Mrs JPW and I were among the tables of Rockweillers who stopped in last night. Many of you know of my Steingarten-ish attempt to learn to enjoy seafood, but count me in as already a huge fan of the crab bisque. The fried chicken and NYStrip were good as always.

The two standouts of the night:

1)Elliot's recommended Havens Syrah ($44)

2)Peach Charlotte. Peach baked in pastry with an absolutely delicious ice cream on top. Really really really good.

Yep, the place was crawling with Rockweillers last night! My friend and I had eyes bigger than our stomachs, so my veal is going to make a great lunch today... and tomorrow... but the highlights for us were the sausage biscuits (my Louisiana born-and-bred friend wants to know if he can pick up an order of those every Saturday night, for his Sunday breakfast), the figs with prosciutto and goat cheese, and the peach charlotte.

Any recommendations on what to order? I want to stay clear of the steaks. I can get that down the street at the original Ray's.

The fried chicken rocked. I had the lamb chop at the preview dinner, and loved that too.

I might also order the fried chicken. One of my table mates ordered the pork chop, and was also happy.

I'd go with the fried chicken. My wife ordered fish the other night (though I'm blanking on which one), and was very happy.

Did I mention that I really like the fried chicken? :)

Just returned from an 8:30 reservation and thought I'd write up my thoughts before sleep obscured them.

We arrived a few minutes late (combination of an errand that ran long and making a wrong turn or two in DC) and were immediately sat as soon as we walked in. I didn't get a chance to peak around the place too much as a result, but we were basically over by the bar. For the first few courses it was pretty loud and we were having problems hearing each other, though by the soup or the entree or so the bar had cleared out some and it had quieted down a bit.

Cocktail food:

Shrimp baklava - Shrimp cooked with shredded, stringy, crispy things on it. It actually reminded me alot more of a Bird's Nest (the dessert, not the thing that Momma Bird goes to feed the chicks in) as it didn't really remind me of phyllo at all. But I could imagine that Bird's Nest Shrimp wouldn't work too well :-) It was a bit messy to eat as the shredded things went everywhere and I'm not sure that I thought the shredded things did too much other than make the shrimp a bit crunchy. Well cooked, but not my favorite.

Sausage biscuits - Now these on the other hand were awesome. The biscuits themself were quite good, nice and fluffy with the sausage mixed in, but when eaten with the sauce they were awesome. My GF liked the shrimp better than the sausage biscuits, so that worked out pretty well since I didn't have to stab her with my fork to fend her off from the biscuits.

Soup:

Crab Bisque - I normally can't handle both soup and appetizer at a large meal, so I've never actually had the RTS crab bisque (though my GF did have it the last time we were there a couple weeks ago) so a comparison would be difficult. This was a rich sherry sauce, almost too thick to be considered soup, with crab meat mixed in. Very good.

Entree:

Crab Oscar - We overheard Michael talking to the table next to us about the Crab Oscar and how it compared with a place by the name of Jerry's in PG county (where it goes by the name of Crab Bomb). Since he saw we had ordered the Crab Oscar he asked my GF how she liked it and we ended up talking about the dish from there. Evidently Jerry's uses a sieve to sort their crab so only the largest of the lump crab meat goes into their dish and the rest goes into the crab cakes they make. Michael said they didn't have that option so their crab wasn't quite as good as Jerry's but he thought they more than made up for it with the sauce, which he thought outdid Jerry's. It was rather unfortunate that we ordered both the Crab Bisque and the Crab Oscar as they share a number of elements and probably brought the wow factor of the Crab Oscar down a bit but we didn't think about it when ordering. Also, there were some bits of shell in both the Crab Bisque and the Crab Oscar. I know it's tough to sort out all the shell in crab meat sometimes, but it was a bit annoying. Overall though the Crab Oscar was very good with a nice, rich sauce that was similar to the Crab Bisque we both thought.

Pork Chops - The portion is two pork chops and the first pork chop was wonderful, the second was very good. The first pork chop was lusciously juicy, cooked just a tad under medium, and with a wonderful taste which the calvados sauce accented. The second was cooked a bit over medium I think and as a result was drier than the first. Still the same wonderful taste. If I didn't have the first pork chop I would have thought the second was wonderful. But I did have that first pork chop, which put the second one to shame :-)

Sides:

Mashed Potatoes - Pretty much the same as at RTS, which is to say very good

Sweet Corn Pudding - I think this was well made sweet corn pudding as I have no reason to doubt otherwise. This really just leads me to believe I don't like sweet corn pudding. I wasn't a fan of this side though my GF liked it, though I've never had sweet corn pudding before.

Dessert:

Strawberries on a sweet biscuit with chantilly and strawberry ice cream - This was the one dish of the evening that we thought could have been better. We didn't think the strawberry ice cream brought very much too the dish but rather masked the taste of the strawberries themselves. And that sweet biscuit, such a wonderful sweet biscuit with a nice mealy texture and an outside that was slightly firmer than the inside and with a sugar glaze. Wonderful dish, we just thought it would have been even better without the ice cream.

Milk and Cookies - I'll say little about this dish as it has been described above. It was everything others had said it would be. The egg creams were smooth and refreshing and the cookies were very good.

We had picked out salads as they are listed as complimentary, but as we were ordering we forgot to tell our waiter which salad we wanted and we ended up not getting a salad. Considering the amount of food we had and the fact that we had trouble finishing it already, we had no problem with that :-) But if you do want a salad, make sure to point that out just to remind the waiter.

Along with our "cocktail food" we had a couple cocktails as it only seemed fitting and along with dinner was a bottle of the Witness Tree Williamette Valley Pinot Noir. I believe the menu said $48, but it was on the ticket as $40. Not sure if we were served the Russian Valley Piniot instead (which was on the menu for $40), if the price was off or what. Either way it went well with dinner and was very tasty.

The entrees were a bit more expensive than RTS, but everything else was ridiculously cheap. My GF actually did a double take when she saw the bill and wondered aloud if the prices were correct. $3 for those sausage biscuits? $5 for two of the better desserts we'd had in quite some time? The soup was also crazy cheap, though I don't remember exactly how much. $40 (or $48) for a good bottle of pinot noir was much less than what we'd pay at most restaurants (well realistically it's about the same as I'd pay at other restaurants but I ended up with much better wine as a result).

Overall, service was very good without being obnoxious and in the way. I'm sure there's still a couple kinks to be worked out, but the doors have only been open for 8 days now. For a 4 course meal (5 courses if we'd gotten the salads that we wouldn't have been able to eat anyway), a bottle of wine and two cocktails, post-tax but pre-tip, the total was $150. As someone else said above, I felt like I do most times I leave RTS, like I just stole money from Michael.

It's off to bed now for me with visions of black-and-white cookies with vanilla egg creams dancing through my dreams :-)

We had a reservation last night for 8:30pm. Called on Tuesday afternoon and was offered 6:00 or 8:30. Was asked to call back on Saturday afternoon to confim. The person taking reservation and confirmation was very politie and proper.

Dinner was great. We sat at one of the two tops in the bar. The location was perfect because the bar was not crowded and we could hear ourselves talk. I also liked the location for people watching, you could see everyone coming and going.

On to the food -

We had the sausage biscuts and they are exactly as described above. Really good, if you are sharing ask for extra sauce.

Crab bisque - Better than the original with real lump on top.

Complimentary Salads - The potato crueton on the ceaser could be an appetizer onto its own.

The chopped liver with the bread should be an appetizer portion on its own - I will be calling next month to ask to purchase a couple of pounds for holiday dinner. Your version is way better than traditional and I hope that Micheal can help me out.

Fried Chicken entree - enjoyed the skin very much but the meat felt like just chicken - an idea - Just skin the chicken and fry up the skin, you can add it to the cocktail menu.

The cowboy steak lost nothing on its trip across the river.

We were going to get mashed potatoes and when Michael was passing he said to get the au gratin instead, he was totally right on. - Always listen to Michael, he knows his food.

We were full but had to try the milk and cookies - many descriptions above - The real thing is so better than the imagined based on descriptions - milk and cookies - just do it. - Thank You Michael for sending these over.

We were not drinking last night, so no comment on the wine service. Since we are now allowed to talk about the open dinners, any chance the watermelon cooler will make it to the bar menu (If not can we steal the recipe)

Our waiter was really nice and I think with a little practice will be great. He seemed nervous and unsure about many things. Just little things (no big deal, only worth mentioning for constructive sake) like when we said we were sharing he only brought out one spoon and one steak knife and we had to ask for second (It came in a second, but a pro would have picked up to bring out both at the start). On the good side for him he took my valet ticket and had my car brought around so we did not have to wait outside.

Michael - Where do you get those steak knives. I really fell in love with them.

The bill - $70 + tip (no alcohol). This would have been twice that anywhere else

I really had no idea how nice this place was. After walking through Silver Spring last night, the folks over there should be happy to have a restaurant like this in the "hood". I really would have dressed nicer if I had known it was a white table cloth place. I was in shock by the low prices on the wine list, and the $5 dollar desserts, across the street a cold cupcakes at cake love would run you about $4.

I really loved the amuse of pickled vegetables that arrived with the menu. The green beans and beets were excellent! We started with the sausage biscuits that were indeed very good, I was only expecting two biscuits for that price, but we were served four...great value. My ceasar salad with warm potato stuffed croutons was absolutely delious, my wife had a salad with a warm bacon vinergrette, I don't remember what type of greens, but this too was pretty scrumptious. The bread and a selection of spreads arrived next, go for the chopped liver.

The pork chop with warm slaw and a mustard sauce, was perfectly fine, although I thought it could have benefited from a good brine:). The dish that I will oder the next time around, is the one my wife ordered; the veal "Oscar" was a knock out. A huge piece of tender veal, was covered with lump crab meat and fava beans.We also order the five cheese macaroni as a side, we enjoyed this a great deal. Desserts were a mixed bag, I really had high hopes for the milk and cookies, but the it really turned out to be nothing special in my book. The peach Charlotte on the other hand was excellent, I love the crust and ice cream.

Sliver Spring should be very happy about this arrival. I saw nothing downtown that would come close to this. We sat in the bar area, which seems to be where most of the two tops are. I really did not like the area, as it was near the host stand. I am not sure the next time I will make out to Maryland, but Ray's the Classic will be on the to do list. I am not sure how this guy makes money, charging such low prices for this kind of food.

I had completely forgotten about the bread! Firm with just a light crust, just the way I like it. All of the spreads were good, though I did like the liver as well. My GF liked the parsnip spread the best as she doesn't like liver at all. I did like the milk and cookies, though it may have been the novelty of the egg creams which I liked most as I don't have them often. If I make it back (it's pretty far away from where we live) I'll probably try something else instead.

I confess I didn't know what "wild yeast" was (it's in the bread), so I looked it up. It's sourdough made out of thin air! It's capturing the yeast molecules that are everywhere in the air.

Whatever--the bread was delicious in the sneak previews--along with everything else.

Sliver Spring should be very happy about this arrival. I saw nothing downtown that would come close to this. We sat in the bar area, which seems to be where most of the two tops are. I really did not like the area, as it was near the host stand. I am not sure the next time I will make out to Maryland, but Ray's the Classic will be on the to do list. I am not sure how this guy makes money, charging such low prices for this kind of food.
As they are still ramping up and the back room is not yet open, the bar area is indeed the temporary home for the 2-tops. Although not privy to the exact schedule, I believe the back room will open after Labor Day.

I had dinner at RTC last Friday evening and between the four of us at the table, we were able to cut a pretty wide swath through the menu. I can't do any better job at descrbing the various menu items except to note that the raves are well deserved.

I think we had one of each of the (5?) sides. Three favored the mac & cheese while one (me) favored the au gratin potatoes. I really liked the way the potatoes were cooked; firm, not mushy. The ones in between were all great as well and deciding which was the best was an exercise in splitting hairs.

Chop, rack and fried chicken, all superb. The crab royale is da bombe. I predict that discussion will begin soon as to who has the better chicken, RTC or Palena.

I will comment on the service. It was impeccable, similar to or better than what you would expect at a restaurant with a much higher price point. When we asked the waiter for something, the response was "absolutely, right away." It brought a simle to my face and I exclaimed to my dining companions "wow."

Even though RTC is in Silver Spring and I live in Alexandria, I believe it is worth the journey (and I need to look at a map to find another way home other than 16th street, which is the longest street on the planet).

Thank you Michael for the wonderful hospitality.

Even though RTC is in Silver Spring and I live in Alexandria, I believe it is worth the journey (and I need to look at a map to find another way home other than 16th street, which is the longest street on the planet).
It IS the longest street on the planet... with the highest concentration of religious buildings this side of the holy land. I just take the Beltway around to Alexandria. Sure, it's going to be 0.5Ï€d times the distance, but you'll be going a lot faster and running into far fewer lights.

I'll be heading to RTC next week (pending a reservation rescheduling - my fiancee rescheduled her haircut thrice, I rescheduled our RTC reservation a mere twice, so I'll have to free up my Thursday 7:45 reservation - if anyone wants it) for the first time since the preview dinner.

A question about the mac & cheese. Has it changed into a more "traditional" mac & cheese, or is it still in the spaetzle form it was in during the preview? I thought the spaetzle was one of the highlights of the evening, and I hope it's changed as little as possible. :)