The Dairy Godmother, New Owner Russell Gravat on Mount Vernon Avenue in Del Ray - Authentic Milwaukee-Style Frozen Custard

'The Doctor said:

The ice cream concoctions at Cold Stone and other similar places are too much of a good thing. After a few bites, the goo just bcomes too sickeningly sweet. And they give you so much of it, even in the small sizes. (Do I sound like a 70 year old man here?)

Discovering the likes of the Del Ray Dreamery really changed my view on the marble slabs. I could eat gallons of the Wisconsin custard and not get sick of it.

Restaurant Eve sources its ice creams from the Del Ray Dreamery.

Perhaps my ice cream palate is not as well-developed, but my impression from a single visit to Del Ray was "serviceable but nothing special."

I guess we will just have to schedule a DR.com lunch at Taqueria Poblano followed by dessert at the Dreamery to check it out, and perhaps a peek into Cheesetique. Cathal ARmstrong seems to think the Dreamery is special enough to put it on his menu, and he sources some of his cheese from Cheesetique.

How does one spell "road trip."

edited to add: I smell a thread split coming on.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

I love the Dreamery.

One note -- it's custard, not ice cream. Close, but not quite the same thing. I think that to some custard can be an acquired taste. I happen to like it a lot.

Edited by JPW

Can anyone explain what the deal is with their Brat Night that  they have every few months? Seems kind of random for an ice cream shop to dedicate themselves to serving bratwurst every so often.

It's a Wisconsin thing, you wouldn't understand. :lol:

My husband lived in WI for a couple years. Definitely known for brats, custard, cheese, fish fries............and bowling. He thinks the custard at the dreamery is great, and so do I. I dont think I'd ever had the real deal before. And, I bring home some frozen yogurt for my 3 pups. Alexandria is so dog friendly, I love it!!

Can anyone explain what the deal is with their Brat Night that  they have every few months? Seems kind of random for an ice cream shop to dedicate themselves to serving bratwurst every so often.

it's only over the winter. Liz is from Wisconsin, her dad was in congress for Wisconsin for years so she spent a lot of time split between the 2 places. There's tons of Wisconsin influence on any given day, the wall of sprecher being a big one. She really likes the idea of communal dining, so once a month on the first thursday in the non summer months she does brat night complete with german potato salad, saurkraut and usually a handful of accordian players. It's fun. People tend to be friendly and on occasion singing and or dancing from the local seminarians has been known to break out.

Edited by xdcx

I stopped in last night since I happened to be in the neighborhood (I don't cross the river too often) and greatly enjoyed the custard. Even better was the oatmeal crisp topping I had and the cookies they were selling. Turns out the owner is a CIA graduate in pastry. Super nice too. Good stuff.

Mmmmmmmmmmm - Bee Sting frozen custard. Today's (and yesterday's) flavor. I knew it had to have honey in it, but it turns out it's got a baklava thing going on. Honey, plus baked phyllo, and chopped almonds in vanilla custard.

It was SO good, that pint that was supposed to last 2 of us for a few days, well, um, it's an empty container :wub: in the trashcan...

fortunately I thought to bring home a Mozambique flavor custard sandwich made with Ginger cookies. :P

Edited by goldenticket

Mmmmmmmmmmm - Bee Sting frozen custard.  Today's (and yesterday's) flavor.  I knew it had to have honey in it, but it turns out it's got a baklava thing going on.  Honey, plus baked phyllo, and chopped almonds in vanilla custard. 

It was SO good, that pint that was supposed to last 2 of us for a few days, well, um, it's an empty container  :wub: in the trashcan...

fortunately I thought to bring home a Mozambique flavor ice cream sandwich made with Ginger cookies.  :P

It's also weirder than that. the honey is "special". all the maraschino cherry left overs are given to a local farmer to feed her bees. The honey is a result of that. We ended up missing it last night, but will be in for copious amounts of it tonight.

I love the Dreamery.

One note -- it's custard, not ice cream. Close, but not quite the same thing. I think that to some custard can be an acquired taste. I happen to like it a lot.

Ditto. I love it too. Mrs. TJ and I went there right after Cheesetique and had this great cobbler. I think it was cherry-plum, or plum-strawberry or similar.

ohmommawasitgooooood

From the Dreamery'swebsite:

Prepare for the wurst! Brat Nite returns!

We are starting our first Thursday of the month homage to bratwurst. Be sure to be here for German potato salad,kraut w/apples,brats and live accordian music from 6pm until 9pm. We will also have vegetarian "brats" and apple crisp.

Brat season opening night is Thursday,October 6th at 6pm.Welcome Fall!

This year we will also have vegetarian brats which go just as well with accordian music as Johnsonville brats!

I'm hoping to head down there for a brat and some kraut!

More from Dreamery. One of us should win this, no?

#################################

Well, it's been five years and the jig is up. Turns out the term "Dreamery" is trademarked and owned by a company called Integrated Brands. You may be familiar with their Edy's Dreamery line of fine ice creams.

So, we're looking for a new name and looking for ideas from you. Submit your ideas soon, we need to make a decision now! If we pick your creative, not-already-trademarked-by-someone-else name, you'll win a year of free custard.

We're sad to be losing our tried and true name, but that's the only thing that's going to change!

So get thinking! We're excited to see what you come up with - just don't use the word "Dream". Email your suggestions to liz@delraydreamery.com

- Liz

More from Dreamery.  One of us should win this, no?

#################################

Well, it's been five years and the jig is up.  Turns out the term "Dreamery" is trademarked and owned by a company called Integrated Brands.  You may be familiar with their Edy's Dreamery line of fine ice creams.

So, we're looking for a new name and looking for ideas from you.  Submit your ideas soon, we need to make a decision now!  If we pick your creative, not-already-trademarked-by-someone-else name, you'll win a year of free custard.

We're sad to be losing our tried and true name, but that's the only thing that's going to change!

So get thinking!  We're excited to see what you come up with - just don't use the word "Dream".  Email your suggestions to liz@delraydreamery.com

- Liz

I'm working on my submissions now.

Anybody want to bet the over/under on how many people submit "Custard's Last Stand"? (Already a chain somewhere in the midwest)

Names that won't be submitted cuz they don't stand a chance:

I Can't Believe It's Not Ice Cream

Del Ray Kiddery

Del Ray Dreamiery (to get around the pesky trademark issue)

Edy's Can Kiss My Ass

I'm working on my submissions now.

Anybody want to bet the over/under on how many people submit "Custard's Last Stand"?  (Already a chain somewhere in the midwest)

I'm probably the 100,000th person to suggest Del Ray Creamery. Not very creative, but they could just use a little white out on their business cards and letterhead.

Del Raid Reamery

Del Ray Dreamer, He.

Dell?  Ray.  Dream,  Murray.

Dela Rayed Re:  Marie.

Wow, Don, I was thinking the exact same thing. But think of all the possibilities where they wouldn't even have to change their web address:

Del Raydrea Mery

Del Rayd Reamery

Del Raydre Amery

Or you could really mess with people's minds with some spoonerisms:

Drel Ray Deamery

Dream Ray Delery

Del Dray Reamery

edited for spacing and to add my real choices:

Red America Freedom Custard

That Crazy Custard Place

Edited by The Doctor

This has been posted on their website:

I gotta tell you guys I'm overwhelmed by your response to our new name request. We've received hundreds of suggestions.  It's still sad to have to make the change, but I'm really grateful for all the support and encouragement you've given.  What a fantastic community!

We've come to a decision, so stay tuned.  We'll be posting the new name here in the next day or so, as well as a short list of our favorites - some are too funny and clever to miss.

Wow, Don, I was thinking the exact same thing. But think of all the possibilities where they wouldn't even have to change their web address:

Del Raydrea Mery

Del Rayd Reamery

Del Raydre Amery

Or you could really mess with people's minds with some spoonerisms:

Drel Ray Deamery

Dream Ray Delery

Del Dray Reamery

edited for spacing and to add my real choices:

Red America Freedom Custard

That Crazy Custard Place

Man, between the two of yinz......

From the Shop Formerly Known As Delray Dreamery:

Well,the contest is over. Thanks to the HUNDREDS of folk who submitted names.

The winner is That Custard Place in Del Ray.I figure that is how most people think of it anyway.

The name was submitted by frozen custard afficianado, Stephani Locket of Alexandria.Thanks,Stephani! Enjoy that year of frozen custard.

We will post some of the funny,clever entries in a day of so.

In the meantime, enjoy some nostalgic treats! We have pumpkin sandwiches on ginger cookies,pumpkin moon pies,homemade marshmallows,gelato and sorbetto truffles as well as everything else! Take home a box of four pumpkin custard fritters for frying at home or outside with your turkey.

We're looking forward to getting comfortable with the new name. I hope it is an easy transition for you,too.

The date for the sell off of "Dreamery" goods will be announced soon.ALL PROCEEDS will go to Alexandria Scholarship fund. Open that wallet to help Alexandria high school students follow their dreams.

That name is actually pretty sad. In my humble opinion, they had a chance to be really creative AND campy. The Custard Place in Del Ray could be killed if another ice cream/custard place opens in the area. That is, in the South we customarily have ordered "a coke" when asked what we want to drink, to which the server responded "what kind." So, imagine when a friend says "let's meet at that custard place in Del Ray" you'll have to respond "which one."

Also, the name does not indicate that they sell anything other than custard. Their baked goods are fabulous and could create an independent revenue category for the place.

Shame. Branding is so important and can be fun.

Just My Humble Opinion

This really is a dumb name.  To those unfortunate people who were not blessed by a Wisconsin birth certificate, they will most likely think of pudding.

This is right. I don't normally associate custard with the stuff they serve at the Del Ray Dreamery. At the least, they should have inserted the word "frozen" before the word "custard" so that the otherwise uninformed public would know that they serve something akin to ice cream.

That Crazy Custard Place

You know, if they hadn't announced the contest was over 24 hours after it started, I could've actually submitted the above idea.

Maybe I'll take NCP's idea and open up some competition. "Which custard place?" "That CRAZY Custard place!"

Edited by The Doctor

Are there any Alexandria-based attorneys in the house who could quickly register the name "That Custard Place" before the end of the day? Not only would it prevent them from forever being known as that That Custard Place with the Stupid Name, but just think of the sadistic fun of having them select a name that's already registered like Dreamery! :lol:

Are there any Alexandria-based attorneys in the house who could quickly register the name "That Custard Place" before the end of the day?  Not only would it prevent them from forever being known as that That Custard Place with the Stupid Name, but just think of the sadistic fun of having them select a name that's already registered like Dreamery!     :lol:

There is a $275 application fee. It can be done online.

edited to add: Did Rocks forget to refill his prescriptions again?

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

See not only am I a trademark attorney, I am blessed to have spent some time in Wisconsin so I know what custard is. But if I were merely a Southern Belle I would think puddin'. The name is bad. It is sad. It does not do the place or its product justice. Hmmm....

BTW, anyone know where to get good cheese curds around here...

Doctor let me know if I can help in your new venture!

Edited by NCPinDC

From the Dreamery'swebsite:

Prepare for the wurst! Brat Nite returns!

We are starting our first Thursday of the month homage to bratwurst. Be sure to be here for German potato salad,kraut w/apples,brats and live accordian music from 6pm until 9pm. We will also have vegetarian "brats" and apple crisp.

Brat season opening night is Thursday,October 6th at 6pm.Welcome Fall!

This year we will also have vegetarian brats which go just as well with accordian music as Johnsonville brats!

I'm hoping to head down there for a brat and some kraut!

There is no better reason for "That Custard Place" being a terrible name than the announcement of Brat Nite noted above. Why would anyone assume "that custard place" would sell brats, baked goods, etc.? I also agree with Shitch that most people around here will NOT think of frozen custard when they hear the singular word "custard." Frankly, when I first heard about this my assumption was that it had been sold and the new owner wanted to change the name. To say "that custard place" really does not specify which custard place. Or which frozen custard place. Even a Ben and Jerry's-for some-could be thought of as "that custard place" in Del Rey. In fact isn't there already ANOTHER ice cream place in Del Rey?

I really think this was a very bad decision that will limit the public's perception of what they sell as well as not give them the individual identity they need.

BTW, anyone know where to get good cheese curds around here... 

As a Wisconsin native (who has lost that annoying accent, but not my unhealthy infatuation with a really bad football team), I must say that cheese curds are an atrocity inflicted on the world of cheese, they are even worse when fried, and frying generally makes everything better.