Nage, in the Courtyard Marriott, Scott Circle - Chef Miles Vaden and GM John Kilkenny

Where exactly would this be? The only restaurant spaces around there are in hotels (not counting Helix, there are 5).

Chris

According to The List, the owners of Nage in Rehoboth Beach will open a DC outpost (or is that inpost?  <_< ) at 16th and Rhode Island, NW.

Any other details known among this group?

I stopped in last night on my way home. I was a bit surprised by the feel of the space - on approach the lights were low and it looked decent, but up close it's a pretty small space that was definitely done on the cheap. The prefab diner-type banquette seats and a Formica bar top didn't really mesh with entrée prices that average in the high $20's. But the bartender was nice and they had Abita Amber in bottles, so I stayed for a snack.

Two "Signature Items" later I was pretty disappointed. The baked oysters were loaded with cheese sauce and spinach but were lacking in actual oyster flavor and I couldn't really detect the fennel. The frites with truffle oil were actually shoestrings on the greasy side and fell far short of the truffled frites at Poste and Firefly.

By the time I left I couldn't see myself returning for quite a while - I know they're just getting started here and they've got friendly staff, but at a price point that's equal to or higher than Black Salt and DC Coast, never mind Hank's, and with an atmosphere that's below any of them, at this point it's hard to see how they'll become more than a hotel restaurant.

The General Managers name is Galen and he actually worked at the Rehoboth Beach location for quite sometime before being relocated to DC. One of our servers splits time between here and Nage, which he also worked at the beach location for a brief period. If you go say hello to Galen and the servers name is Matt, but we all call him Wilcox. They seem to be doing ok, but I am not sure the location is all that great. Just depends on which side of the circle you get stuck with.

Eh.

I read about Nage in the Post, perused its menu online, and very much wanted to give it a spin. My girlfriend and I got there Saturday night around 9:15 p.m. without reservations and were led to a table after a brief wait while the hosts chatted amongst themselves, presumably ensuring that offering us a table would not affect any reservations.

The restaurant is smaller than I expected. It sits in a narrow space divided between a formal dining area on the right and a bar area to the left, with an open kitchen at the far end. The music is geared more towards the clientele Nage may wish to attract, as opposed to the crowd that was dining there last night. Clubby electronica, not so fast that it could be played at a rave, but not so slow that it qualified as lounge electronica, flooded the space, loud enough that communicating with the waitress (and each other) required raised voices. The diners were not, however, young, hip, and appreciative, but, rather, middle-aged, simply dressed, and probably wondering why the music from the club scene in Basic Instinct was drowning out their conversations.

It took close to ten minutes before our server came over to ask for our drink order, but the service was fine thereafter. I have become so accustomed to restaurants priding themselves on quality coffee (thank you Oya, Cafe Atlantico, and Tallula) that I was surprised to get a cup of totally average, well, joe. The second cup was more of the same. Not bad, but no different from the stuff in my office's coffee vacuum-pot contraption. I appreciated, however, that the coffee did not show up on the bill, presumably because they considered me (correctly) to be the designated driver. My girlfriend loved her cantaloupe martini.

The waitress described the bread in a way that made me think that Nage either bakes it on site, or came up with the recipe used by whatever commercial bakery from which they get their bread. I did not get all of the adjectives, but I distinctly remember the word "honey" being used as one descriptive term. The bread, however, was simple white bread with more flavor than Wonder Bread, but by no means anything special. The green olive tapenade was, however, quite good, and I say that as someone who generally dislikes olives.

We opted against ordering any of the entrees, instead choosing to focus on the salads, starters, and sides. We both had the mixed green salad, a small-ish (on a large plate) mix of greens, currants, pineapple chunks, heart of palm, candied pecans, and bleu cheese tossed in a passion fruit vinaigrette. I passed on the bleu cheese.

The salad reads far better on the menu than it tastes in reality. I am a big fan of mixing fruit into salads and entrees, but I was disappointed in how understated the pineapple flavor was, as well as by how little the dressing reminded me of passion (or any other) fruit. There was nothing wrong with the salad; it was just anticlimatic and, ultimately, boring.

We split the foie gras and crab cake appetizers, as well as a side of the "Nage Frites," (listed on the menu as a "Signature Item"). Let me start with the fries. I order french fries a few times a year, at most, but I have a weakness for anything sweet potato, and the Post review of Nage stated that the fries, made with white truffle oil, are a mix of potato and sweet potato fries. Sign me up. The Post review also noted that the fries are shoestring-cut, which is generally not my preference, but can be done well, e.g., the fries at the Great American chain. Nage's fries are presented in a medium-sized, squared-off bowl, and look like a shiny pile of Potato Sticks. You know, the Potato Sticks that come in foil-sealed canisters that one sees in the grocery store but does not actually buy. Nage's fries taste very similar to those Potato Sticks, too, with the added benefit, however, of having just been fried. This is not necessarily a knock on Nage's fries. As a child, I loved those Potato Sticks, and used to lovingly eat them with ketchup. But I did not expect them at a supposedly high-caliber restaurant, and I did not understand Nage's failure to recognize that they are, essentially, serving Potato Sticks, as demonstrated by the overconfident lack of ketchup, or any sauce, accompanying the fries. We had to ask the waitress if any aioli or remoulade was available to serve as a dip, and ended up with a subtly spicy serrano chile aioli sauce that was creamy and rich, but not overwhelmingly so.

The lighting in Nage is minimal and vaguely reminiscent of the reddish lights one expects to come on during emergencies in office buildings. I was thus unable to tell whether the crab cake I tried had crab in it. Barely tasting crab, I examined the cake's interior for the seemingly absent meat, but it really is dim in Nage, so I cannot attest to having seen chunks of the normally tasty invertebrate. The accompanying succotash was fresh and enjoyable, and the small amount of tomato jam was pleasantly sweet (and interesting for its rare appearance on menus). The asparagus spears raising the crab cake from the plate, however, were slightly undercooked.

The seared foie gras was the best part of the meal. The eighteen-dollar appetizer is served on a rectangular plate, with two small pieces of grilled ginger bread on one side and a pickled-watermelon fruit mash on the other, balanced by a filet-size slab of seared foie gras. My first bite of foie gras was so rich that I thought I'd never make it through my half, but I quickly learned that the flavor was very nicely balanced by the memorable ginger bread, and equally as well-complemented, though in a different way, by the fruit mash. I do not think I would order this dish again, as I generally do not order foie gras, both on principle and because of its nutritional profile, but I believe that any dedicated fan of foie gras will think highly of Nage's version.

My girlfriend and I did not have a bad meal, and are not permanently writing Nage off. I am aware that we were at Nage on a somewhat busy Saturday night, did not try any of the entrees, and have only visited Nage once. Still, we had an underaverage meal for higher-than-average prices ($86 with tip), and while I am happy to pay for good food, I am not happy to pay for what amounts to food that is well-described but prepared with a shrug.

My girlfriend and I did not have a bad meal, and are not permanently writing Nage off. I am aware that we were at Nage on a somewhat busy Saturday night, did not try any of the entrees, and have only visited Nage once. Still, we had an underaverage meal for higher-than-average prices ($86 with tip), and while I am happy to pay for good food, I am not happy to pay for what amounts to food that is well-described but prepared with a shrug.

Superb review. Thanks for sharing. Seems a shame as it looks attractive. Not that I won't go sometime, but there's definitely no "Got to try that place" happening. Honestly, $86 all in doesn't seem too out of line for a meal with a crabcake, foie gras, truffle oil and a canteloupe martini. But if it didn't put a smile on your face, it wouldn't have been better at $56 either.

For the record, I don't think there's such a thing as undercooked asparagus. Overcooked, sure. Undercooked? I think the stuff is great raw. Perhaps more of a concern is......asparagus in July? I'll stick to Corduroy and Firefly and get something seasonal and local.

Superb review. Thanks for sharing. Seems a shame as it looks attractive. Not that I won't go sometime, but there's definitely no "Got to try that place" happening. Honestly, $86 all in doesn't seem too out of line for a meal with a crabcake, foie gras, truffle oil and a canteloupe martini. But if it didn't put a smile on your face, it wouldn't have been better at $56 either.
Thanks for the nice comment, CrescentFresh.

I agree that it was not an astronomical bill, and I did tip upwards of 20%, particularly in light of the waitress leaving my coffee off of the bill. But also note that we did not order any entrees or desserts, and only had one alcoholic beverage. Ultimately, though, it is as you say: a mediocre meal is a mediocre meal, and the price is a secondary matter unless the bill is at one of the extremes.

I had the braised veal cheek with the bacon, egg and tomato risotto. I also made sure to order the side of frites. The veal cheek was great - tender, but the risotto was a bit too acidic from the tomato. The frites were pretty nice, and made a nice combo with the veal. The veal was accompanied by two carrots and two small patty pan squash. Both were undercooked and difficult to cut. I couldn't even succeed in trying any of the squash.

I searched Don Rockwell and I did'nt find anything said about this restaurant...Yet.

This is a french mediterranean bistro, originally from Rehobeth, DE. They were very sucessful up there and decided to open one in DC. They are currently in the Courtyard Marriott near scotts circle, directly across from the australian embassy.

Tonight me and my best friend we there under suggestion from my girlfriend (a stunning waitress I might add) because of the prix fixe for 35 bucks. A great price for what we had. We started off with a tomato caprese ( I cannot remember exactly what tomatos, they were yellow in color and absolutely delicious) with mozarella and basil. There was a vinagrette as well, but I could not determine exactly what it was. Next I had the lobster and white asparagus quiche with a salad composed of a variety of greens. I was able to identify a little bit of frisse in the greens, along with some arugula and spinach. The quice was fantastic and put upon a bed of potato sauce. My best friend had seared rockfish, and his was equally delicious. For desert I had a banana bread pudding with assorted diced fruit, and he had a trio of 3 different ice creams set next to two halves of caramalized bananas. I thought it was the mercedes of banana splits.

The meal was wonderfully accompanied by a 1/2 bottle of Worthy meritage blend 2004.

This is my first post, so I figured I would make it a good one. I like to visit restaurants with good style and flavor and Nage is definitly one of them. I visited the original one in rehobeth and I met the owner Kevin Reading Personally. He is a great guy and wants to share his good food with everyone.

Go to Nage! and if you like it....Tell your friends.

- :blink: <---- that is the mouth that enhaled all of the delicious food.

Greetings!

I just recently found this discussion on Nage. Being an owner of the establishment, I would be interested to hear more about your thoughts. And yes... The good and the bad. Feedback is the only way to gauge and improve.

Best regards,

Josh

From your website: "THE NAGE TASTING HOUR(S) 3 TASTINGS OF FOOD PAIRED WITH WINE FOR $10"

Is this still happening?

Hi there! Galen Johnson here, GM over at Nage. YES - we're absolutely still doing the tasting hour. It's a fun happy hour dish we do where the Chef's pair three small bites with three tastes of wine from the cellar. The three bites change daily, as do the wines.

Tonight's Tasting Hour includes:

Roasted beets with a lime-honey vinaigrette paired with Chateau Grande Cassagne Blanc

Sauteed rock shrimp with a parsley salsa paired with Silverwing Pinot Noir

Beer-braised mussels paired with Joel Gott Zinfandel

Come on by, we'd love to see you!

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know what we're up to for New Year's Eve at Nage. We've got some great things going on for the Eve, and for the Daytime recovery.

On New Year's Eve we are giving diners a last chance to sin before making those resolutions with the Seven Deadly Sins Menu. It is a seven course menu and each course is designed around one of the Seven Deadly Sins. Here's the goods:

Sloth: a dislike of work or any kind of physical exertion

A Spoon-fed Course of Potato Cream with Sturgeon Caviar

Gluttony: the act or practice of eating and drinking to excess

Pork Belly with a Poached Quail Egg, Vanilla Seared Scallop and a Foie Gras Foam

Lust: Any Intense Desire or Craving for Self Gratification

Truffled Lobster Mac n’ Cheese with Peas and Shaved Truffles

Envy: Wanting What Someone Else Has

Cheek to Cheek: Seared Veal Cheek atop a Roasted Halibut Cheek

Greed: An Overwhelming Desire to Have More of Something

A One-Bite Intermezzo of Rich Beluga Caviar

Wrath: a Vengeance, Punishment or Anger Wreaked in Anger

Chile Cinnamon Seared Venison with a Cayenne Sweet Potato and Habanero Spoon Bread

Pride: a strong sense of self-respect and joy in Ones Achievements

Chocolate, Fig and Mascarpone Pot au Crème with a Seven Grape Port: be proud, you finished the tasting

On New Year's Day, Nage is running the "Morning-After Menu" which is a fun menu of stomach-coating goodness including our Morning-After Kill it Skillet; a hot skillet of truffled mac n' cheese, fried potatoes, chorizo and a sunny-side up egg. We are also offering a flight of Gatorade cocktails in Orange, Fruit Punch or Lemon-Lime. Each cocktail is $7.

Stop on by!

Happy Holidays!

Galen

Hi there! Galen Johnson here, GM over at Nage. YES - we're absolutely still doing the tasting hour. It's a fun happy hour dish we do where the Chef's pair three small bites with three tastes of wine from the cellar. The three bites change daily, as do the wines.

On my way home last night, I swung by Nage for the happy hour tasting (4-6pm). Three tasting portions (somewhere between an amuse and a small appetizer size) paired with three 2oz wine pours. For a mere $10 (it will be $12 starting in the new year), I had:

Roasted beet and arugula salad (Chateau Grand Cassagne Hippolyte Blanc)

Fried frog legs with harissa and honey (Saint M Riesling)

Escargot with garlic butter (Steele Cabernet Franc)

The food was excellent (I'll definitely be back to try the regular menu) and the pairings worked. This is really nice deal-- check it out. Great, friendly staff and great service too. Introduce yourself to Galen and the bartender whose name I am unfortunately forgetting here...

Hi Galen,

Can you tell us a little more about your New Year's Day brunch? Also, will you be open on Christmas day? Thanks!

Sorry for the delay, Brett! I got a little swept up in holiday chaos.

Here are some menu highlights for the New Year's Day Brunch. In addition to the menu, we do $12 bottomless Marys & mimosas. We have some killer Marys too, my favorite being the Bacon Bloody, which is a bloody Mary with pulverized bacon. We do three different mimosas also, with some great fruit purees. We're also running the Gatorade cocktails on New Year's Day. There are three cocktails all with the hydrating electrolytes . . .fruit punch, lemon-lime or orange.

Here are the menu highlights:

BRIOCHE FRENCH TOAST

Chocolate Ganache, a Caramelized Orange Syrup, Bruleed Banana and Apple Smoked Bacon $11

TASSO HAM BENEDICT

Poached Egg on an Apple Corn Muffin with Tasso Ham, a Tabasco Hollandaise and Sofritto Home Fries $16

NAGE FRITTATA

Artichoke, Red Pepper, Potato and Goat Cheese with Soffrito Home Fries $12

LAMB, TOMATO AND FETA OMELET

Cool Cucumber Raita and Soffrito Home Fries $14

SAVORY CROISSANT BREAD PUDDING

Rock Shrimp and a Chorizo Gravy $15

PUMPKIN RICOTTA PANCAKES

Chestnut Vermont Maple Syrup, Cranberry Butter and Applewood Smoked Bacon $11

STEAK & EGGS

Marinated Meyer Hangar Steak with Sauce Mornay and a Baby Mushroom and Goat Cheese Quiche $18

ROASTED GROUPER

Gigante Bean Salad, Sun-Dried Tomato, Wilted Frisee and a Preserved Lemon and Jalapeno Vinaigrette $17

FRENCH COUNTRY SALAD

Crispy Chicken Livers, Haricot Verts, Fingerling Potatoes, Fried Egg and a Tarragon Mustard Vinaigrette $14

CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS

Braised Chicken and Vegetables with Truffled Dumplings $14

MORNING-AFTER “KILL IT SKILLET“

Truffled Mac n’ Cheese with Chorizo and Bacon atop Nage Frites topped with a Sunny Side Egg $12

Give me a call at the restaurant if you would like some reservations. 202.448.8005.

Happy New Year's everyone!

Galen

Hi Everyone,

In case anyone is looking for some spectacular food for the game this weekend, I wanted to pass along info about the Nage Super Bowl To-Roll, which is our to-go party pack of rock star Super Bowl dishes serving 10 people each.

The Nage Super Bowl To-Roll

• ½ Roast Suckling Pig with Potato Rolls, House-Made BBQ Sauce and Celery Root Slaw
  • Three Styles of Chicken Wings including Sesame-Teriyaki, BBQ and Spicy Buffalo
  • Flaky Tortilla Chips with House-made Salsa Fresco and Guacamole
  • Mini Nage Burgers (Ground prime-rib with pickled onions, cheese and tomato jelly
  • A Pot of Chef Kevin Reading’s Venison Chili

Each party pack includes all of the above dishes and serve 10 people. The Super Bowl To-Roll is $225 per pack. Pre-orders for Super Bowl To-Roll are required and are available by calling the restaurant at (202) 448-8005. Orders may be picked up on Super Bowl Sunday (02/03/08).

Hope everyone is doing well!

Galen

HI Marks!

We would love for you to stop and check us out. Since you work around the corner--maybe lunch would work for you or an early dinner if you are working late. Feel free to let me know if i can help you in anyway.

Hope evreyone is well--tata

Galen

Sounds Amazing.

I work around the corner..Need to stop by soon

HI Marks!

We would love for you to stop and check us out. Since you work around the corner--maybe lunch would work for you or an early dinner if you are working late. Feel free to let me know if i can help you in anyway.

Hope evreyone is well--tata

Galen

Hi Galen,

We are fans of Nage in Rehoboth - both the restaraunt and parties you have catered. Sorry to say we haven't tried you in DC, yet. ( Soon, we promise! ) I am new to this board and just read your post about the SuperBowl take out - it sounded great... Do you do catering in DC?

Hey all - Hope everyone has been living and dining well! I wanted to pass along some info about an event we are doing at the restaurant. We are bringing in Brewmasters from some great local craft-breweries and Chef Reading is doing a 5-course dinner menu inspired by the beers each Brewmaster will be previewing.

At the dinners, both the Brewmasters and Chef will be on hand to chat about the beer/food. We're starting off by featuring Favio Garcia, the Brewmaster of Old Dominion Brewery. Here's the schedule - hope to see some of you there:

Brewmaster Dinner Series at Nage

May 15th: Favio Garcia of Old Dominion Brewery

Named one of the best breweries in the country by Gourmet Food and Wine Magazine, Old Dominion Brewery has been making the nation’s finest beer since 1989. Located just 30 miles outside Washington DC in Ashburn, Virginia, the Old Dominion Brewing Company provides classic flavors of lagers, ales, seasonal specialties and two new brews: Spring Buck Blonde Ale and Millennium Ale. Favio Garcia, the brewmaster behind Old Dominion will be presenting a flight of Old Dominion’s celebrated and innovative brews.

June 12: Sam Calgione, Dogfish Head Brewery

“Off-centered ales for off centered people” is this crafty brewery’s tagline. Dogfish Head is known for being an adventurous brewery and will introduce beers with off the wall ingredients such as brown sugar, apricots, chicory and licorice root. With worldly inspirations such as King Midas’ tomb and BerlinerWeisse brewing styles there are sure to be a few pleasant surprises for every palate. Sam Calgione, the founder of Dogfish Head will join his Nage beach-buddies to present a line-up of Dogfish Head’s celebrated brews.

July 17th: Troegs

The Trogner brothers began their small brewing company less than ten years ago and are one of the fastest growing craft-breweries in the country. Located in Harrisburg, PA, the creators of Troegs brewery mesh new American brewing techniques with traditional English brewing styles. With brews such as Troegs Hopback Amber and the Trogenator Double Bock this is sure to be a fantastic finale to the Nage Beer Dinners.

Reservations for the beer dinners can be made by calling Nage restaurant at 202.448.8005. Each dinner includes a five-course meal paired with craft brews and the opportunity to meet and speak with the Brewmasters and Chef. The Brewmaster’s Dinners at Nage are $75 per person and include five courses and their corresponding beer pairing. The price is exclusive of tax and gratuity.

Nage has a chalkboard menu in addition to the ones they hand you at the table. One section was labeled "a la carte," and Matt asked me what "a la carte" meant.

"Well, first I'm going to explain what prix fixe means," I told him.

"I already know what it means."

With a skeptical - okay, condescending - little smile, I looked over at him and said, "What do you think it means?"

"It's the opposite of suffix."

A very pleasant dinner at Nage tonight, currently something of an underrated restaurant (mainly because it's not rated). Crabcake, Prime Rib Burger, Lobster Pot Pie, Pyramid Hefeweizen - all good to very good, and the service was friendly and caring, too.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Also--

I just want to remind everyone that the brewmaster series begins tonight and we still have some reservations left.

Here is more info--

Reservations for the beer dinners can be made by calling Nage restaurant at 202.448.8005. Each dinner includes a five-course meal paired with craft brews and the opportunity to meet and speak with the Brewmasters and Chef. The Brewmaster’s Dinners at Nage are $75 per person and include five courses and their corresponding beer pairing. The price is exclusive of tax and gratuity.

a bientot

Galen

Hi there!

On Thursday, we have another interactive beer dinner at Nage with Sam Calagione, founder of Dogfish Head Brewery. Sam will be at the restaurant working with our fab Chef, Kevin Reading. It is an interactive dinner, so guests will be able to dine with the brewmaster and chef. Sam will be featuring a great flight of Dogfish Head beers. Here is the menu:

Crispy softshell crab atop roasted corn, bacon and avocado salad with tomatillo vinaigrette

Beer pairing: FESTINA PECHE

Smoked BBQ quail over a chilled wheatberry salad with a blackeyed pea relish

Beer pairing: BLACK AND BLUE

Beer braised mussels with chorizo smoked onions and roasted garlic in a tangy tomato broth

Beer pairing: 90 MIN IPA

Grilled venison chop daube with roasted spring vegetables

Beer Pairing: IMMORT ALE

Chocolate sour cream and stout cake atop an espresso creme anglaise with rum soaked raisins

Beer pairing: RAISON DEXTRE

The dinner is $75 per person. Give me a call at the restaurant for reservations: 202.448.8005

Hope to see some of you there!

Galen

Hey everybody--

Whew summer has flown by and now its time for restaurant week!

So here is the skinny at Nage. Please check out the RW menu and drop by to see us. We would love to have you.

a bientot

Galen

Restaurant Week Lunch

STARTERS

Melon Cucumber Gazpacho with Lemon Poppy Crème Fraiche and Paprika Spiced Almonds

Bacon wrapped Figs with Gorgonzola, Caramel Corn, Walnuts, Sesame Balsamic and Watercress

Tuna Poke with Grilled Pineapple and Honey Sesame Crisp

ENTREES

French Country Chicken Salad With Frisee, Haricots Vert, Mushrooms Lardons and a Tarragon Mustard Vinaigrette

Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Beet, Green Beans, Bleu Cheese, Pickled Shallot, Almonds and Red wine Vinaigrette

Crabcake with a Tomato, Bacon and Corn Sautee over Tomatillo Vinaigrette

Restaurant Week Dinner

STARTERS

Melon Cucumber Gazpacho with Lemon Poppy Crème Fraiche and Paprika Spiced Almonds

Roasted Beet Salad with Walnuts, Pickled Shallots, and Haricot Verts with Shropshire Bleu Cheese and a White Balsamic Tarragon Vinaigrette

Shrimp Cerviche with Basil, Mango, Cucumber, Grilled Lime Juice, and Tomato Oil

ENTREES

Fennel Salt Seared Tuna with Grilled Watermelon, Feta, Watercress, Fennel and a Broken Olive Vinaigrette

Roasted Organic Chicken with Vidalia Onion Grits, Braised Mustard Greens and Peach Marmalade with a Champagne Jus

Pork Osso Bucco with a Bacon, Corn, Tomato Risotto and Sunflower Shoot Gremolata

DESSERTS

Chocolate Hazelnut Bread Pudding with Espresso Anglaise

Blueberry Lemon Zested Semi freddo

Pistachio Ice Cream Sandwich with Pistachio Gelato and White Chocolate and Pistachio Cookies

Hey guys!

We're at it again. 2nd week restaurant week. New menu-Same price

Restaurant Week #2 DINNER

*Oxtail Ravioli, Watermelon Pickle with Golden Raison, Pumpkin Seed and Preserved Lemon Sauce

* Vichyssoise with house made Grav Lox, Smoked Salmon Caviar and Chive Oil

*Fried Chicken Livers over Frisee, Bacon, Egg, Tomato and Gouda Salad with Tarragon Mustard Vinaigrette

--

*Salmon Paella with Chorizo, Mussels, Shrimp, Calamari, Peas and Saffron Rissotto

*Lamb 3 Ways: Braised Lamb Shoulder, Lamb Sweetbreads over Lamb Tongue Hash

*Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Warm Summer Squash and Farro Salad, Mint Oil and Pecan Pesto

--

*Macadamia Nut Pie with Oatmeal Stout Ice Cream

*Coconut-Kafir Lime Panna Cotta with Pineapple Gelee

*Warm German Chocolate Cake

--

Restaurant Week #2 LUNCH

*Moroccan –style Watermelon Cucumber Salad with Golden Raisins, Almonds, Ginger, Preserved Lemon and a Spicy Yogurt Foam

*Vichyssoise with house made Grav Lox, Smoked Salmon Caviar and Chive Oil

*Shrimp and Corn Fritter with Tomato Jam, Micro Arugula and Shaved Pecorino

*Chicken Cannelloni with Ricotta, Spinach, Mushrooms, Béchamel, Tomato Sauce and Parmesan Tuile

*Slow Baked Salmon with Roasted Jerusalem Artichokes, Almonds, Peas and Lemon White Wine Sauce, topped with Pea Tendrils

*Pork Paillard over a warm Fig-Gigante Bean Salad with Lardons, Haricot Verts, Smoked Onions and Citrus Brown Butter Sauce

I have a friend who is a server at Nage, and she suggested we come by to try their happy hour specials. It's a good deal. They're calling it 'Tasting Hour'. Half price on bar appetizers, drink specials, but the best part is the deal where you get three 2 ounce pours of wine, and three mini-appetizers for $12. There are six bar appetizers. Barbara and I were there Friday night, and had one of everything. They had crab rangoons with a watermelon sauce, bacon-wrapped dates, oyster on the half shell with cherry and something else, fried squash blossoms, skate tostadas, and steak tartare devilled eggs.

We had one of each, and liked the crab rangoon so much we got another one of them. Barbara liked the bacon-wrapped dates best, I think. I regarded them as a bacon-delivery device, which isn't a bad thing.

This is a good value for good food and drink. I'd recommend it. I'll see if I can get some pictures posted from home tonight.

I read in "Chop Suey: A Cultural History of Chinese Food in the United States" today that crab rangoon was invented by "Trader Vic" Bergeron.

The original Trader Vics in LA (not the originla one of all, but the first in LA) was a regular place for us growing up and introduced to all sorts of non Asian Asian food. Every tacky sterotype was on display. It was my Uncle's favorite and we celebrated a lot of brithdays there.

The original Trader Vics in LA (not the originla one of all, but the first in LA) was a regular place for us growing up and introduced to all sorts of non Asian Asian food. Every tacky sterotype was on display. It was my Uncle's favorite and we celebrated a lot of brithdays there.

The DC Trader Vic's was great fun. We always used to ask for Table #64 (Nixon's favorite table) with a view of the large clay ovens. They had the best happy hour in town. Pu-pu platters and funny rum drinks were the best.

post-129-125055264285_thumb.jpg

post-129-125055264965_thumb.jpg

Clockwise from top left, Crab Rangoon, Decoration in Balsamic Vinegar, Steak Tartare Egg, and oyster (I got to it before the camera did).

post-129-125055265532_thumb.jpg

Decoration in Balsamic Vinegar, bacon-wrapped date, fried squash blossom, and skate tostada.

I had to come home to let the dog out tonight, otherwise I would have been back there tonight.

Lordy, were we neglected at Nage today.

I selected Nage for brunch with my parents today as it lies at the midway point between my apartment and the hotel where they stayed. I had wanted to check it out for awhile.

While the food was, uh, fine (which is to say not bad, but nothing special), the service was unacceptably bad. Bad like no server attention within fifteen minutes of being seated. The restaurant was not even half full at the time, so I can't imagine what the service would be like with a larger crowd. At each step of the meal, he would disappear for long stretches of time. Our server wasn't unfriendly, just spacey and overwhelmed although we couldn't tell by what.

I have had better French toast, better lattes, better bacon, etc. elsewhere so I'm not all that motivated to return to Nage.