Barracks Row Entertainment, Capitol Hill Restaurant Group Has Filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

DonRocks

Barracks Row Entertainment has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy which protects the following nine restaurants:

Hawk 'n' Dove

Boxcar Tavern

The Chesapeake Room

Lola's Barracks Bar & Grill

Molly Malone's

Pacifico

Senart's Oyster & Chop House

Park Tavern

Willie's Brew & Que

"Xavier Cervera Sells All Nine Restaurants To A Boston Equity Group" by DonRocks on Dec. 6, 2012

"Xavier Cervera's Nine Capitol Hill Restaurants Sold To Boston Equity Firm" by Larry Janezich on capitolhillcorner.org on Apr 3, 2013

"Xavier Cervera Comments On Wall Street Journal Report On Hawk 'n' Dove Bankruptcy" by Larry Janezich on capitolhillcorner.org on Mar 28, 2014

"Barracks Row Entertainment Files For Bankruptcy" by Pat on Mar. 29, 2014

I like Senarts...but we ate probsvbly the worst bruch ever 2 weeks ago at Chesapeake Room....it would be best to let that place close and die...seriously horrible food...I felt like I should have called SVU after the violation I endured.  However, I was told by a manager there that even though Xavier was out..that he was still "involved"...whatever that now means. 

I like Senarts...but we ate probsvbly the worst bruch ever 2 weeks ago at Chesapeake Room....it would be best to let that place close and die...seriously horrible food...I felt like I should have called SVU after the violation I endured.  However, I was told by a manager there that even though Xavier was out..that he was still "involved"...whatever that now means. 

FWIW, I've heard the same thing about Xavier still being "involved" in day-to-day decisions as recently as mid-2013 (interviewing, making offers, hiring, etc.). If anyone has any information to the contrary, please feel free to post it here.

However, I was told by a manager there that even though Xavier was out..that he was still "involved"...whatever that now means. 

FWIW, I've heard the same thing about Xavier still being "involved" in day-to-day decisions as recently as mid-2013 (interviewing, making offers, hiring, etc.). If anyone has any information to the contrary, please feel free to post it here.

Heard the same news about Xavier. I guess the group he sold to wanted him back in the fold to help out

Assuming this is the case (and I've heard it from more than one other person as well), does it mesh with what he says in this article?

(Incidentally, I suspect the only reason the Wall St. Journal picked up on this is because of the Hawk 'n' Dove name - I can't imagine this is a big story outside of DC or SE Capitol Hill for that matter.)

If it is an example of a slew of businesses being sold with a large amount of debt to pad the bank accounts of the owners then its a shame for Capitol Hill, the people who work at those restaurants, and the people in the neighborhood.  Some of those restaurants will fail and close, people will lose jobs, and there will be vacant spaces.  Meanwhile a few people who made the sale will be sitting on a lot of excess cash that represents a sale of assets in an unfortunate  manner that benefits a very few and creates problems for a great many.

Its so American!!!!

Meanwhile I mourn the old Hawk and Dove.  It was a restaurant/bar perfectly situated for its neighborhood.  Its too bad Stuart Long, the former owner was never able to, or never tried to buy that building.  I don't know if he owns other properties on the Hill, but I do know he tried to buy some, years ago, and was more than capable of doing so.  That bar/restaurant was in "perfect sync" with its neighborhood and had a very long successful run.

....and I for one dropped a lot of money on beer and burgers there over a good many years.....

In any case, life goes on........................

A lawyer for the company says that they don't anticipate closing any restaurants as a result of the filing.  From the Washington Business Journal via WTOP.

"The bankruptcy documents, which were filed in U.S. Bankruptcy Court's D.C. District, show estimated assets of between $1 and 10 million and estimated debt of between $1 and 10 million."

What kind of lily-livered statement is this?

This could mean that they have a net worth of $9 million, or a net debt of $9 million, or anything in between.

The WSJ has more on Richard Cervera's personal bankruptcy and his failure to disclose his role with Barracks Row Entertainment at the time he filed for Chapter 7 personal bankruptcy.  Article here

Yikes! That's really bad. This restaurant group is the biggest clusterf**k in the city; I wish a reputable restaurateur would take it over or that Xavier would sell them off piece by piece to people who could make decent places out of them all.

• Like 1