The Bombay Club, Chef Nilesh Singhvi's and GM Naresh Israni's Traditional, Indian, Fine Dining Power Center near The White House

I'm going to the Bombay Club for the first time tonight for dinner and I want to know what dishes I should make sure not to miss. I'm surprised that there is not already a thread for this restaurant. Does that mean that it is not worth my time?

It seems to get good, solid reviews, but there is an absence of fervor about it. Any idea why? I really, really want to like it.

I actually had dinner there last night with a friend. Originally went for RW, but honestly the menu for that was somewhat limited and wasn't any cheaper than ordering off the regular menu.

The mulligatawny soup was delicious. I had the green chili chicken, which, as the menu promised, was not for the faint of heart but had good flavor in addition to being spicey. My companion had the Chicken Korma, which was much more mild and almost reminded me of a Thai peanut chicken dish, it was fantastic.

The pear sorbet for dessert was also excellent, it was refreshing and sweet without being sickeningly/candy sweet.

Fair warning, they do charge 7 bucks for the bread basket, but it is worth it!

For many years Bombay Club was, to my palate, the best Indian restaurant in the city. Today it may have been (may have been)surpassed, food-wise by a new generation of Indian restaurants, including its younger sister Rasika, but the food is still wonderful and it is to my mind a naked back-rub of a dining experience: order a martini, listen to the piano and put yourself in the hands of one of the city's best floor staffs. Bliss. Or, should I say, nirvana.

One of the easier-to-get -seating-on Indian patios, as well.

I think you hit the nail on the head--it is good, and solid, in my opinion. Not especially creative, nothing that can't be done elsewhere, but the Bombay Club excels in execution. I've been a fair number of times, as my office is around the corner, and I've always been happy with the food and the service. On a night like tonight, dining outside would be a treat, but the dining room is very nice, simultaneously stately and comfortable. I like the lamb vindaloo-well prepared and (if you like) very, very spicy without compromising the flavor. The lamb biryani is also very tasty. I'm a big fan of kheer, and so that's all I've ever had for dessert, but I've heard that the ice creams/sorbets are good. I've done a few of the appetizers, all have been good, but nothing that sticks out in my head as a favorite. Enjoy your meal.

Waitman--- you hit the nail on the head, Raiska has surpassed it in innovativeness but for solid Indian food it is very good. Two things that strike me about Bombay Club are the dining room and service. The first time I ate there I totally imagined what fine dining in India must be like (at least in hotels for Westerners).

My first time at Bombay Club last night won't be my last!

First of all, the place is gorgeous. It reminded me a lot of the high-end expat places in India and the rest of Asia where you feel almost compelled to order a manhattan. (Which I did, and which was lovely.)

After my cocktail, I dove into a fiesta of appetizers--stuffed puris, fish peri peri, and seekh kabob. The stuffed puris had a little too much cloying sourness, but the texture was spot on, and I somehow managed to eat them all... :) The kabob is strong--really nicely spiced and well-ground lamb served with a phenomenal green sauce that I'd like to have a few jugs of in my fridge.

But the hands-down winner was the fish. At first I thought salmon was a bad choice, too fishy and strong for the simple preparation. But after a couple of bites, as the spice began to build in my mouth, it became apparent the salmon was perfect--a milder fish would have folded under the rich, complex spice rub, but the salmon carried straight through. Wow. Great dish.

The bartender wasn't terribly helpful in choosing wine to go with the food, but I ended with fine pairings anyway, and his attentive friendliness made up for it in spades. Considering the surroundings, the prices are not bad either.

Stop by the Bombay Club next time you're feeling like a raj or viceroy. It'll satisfy.

Went to Bombay Club on Friday night with my friend Natasha. We chose Bombay for RW specifically because we both have different food restrictions:

I have food allergies and carry an allergy card which lists them: soy, sesame, nuts, carrots. Natasha suffers from PKU and cannot eat any protein, especially dairy. So, of course, before I made reservations I called the restaurant to see if we'd be safe to eat during restaurant week. I spoke to the "chef" and was assured that it would be no problem, no problem at all.

Fast forward to Friday. I hand my allergy card, which details my allergies to minuscule details to the server. Out comes my salad- with carrots on it. I send it back. Our server shakes his head. "You are allergic to carrots, I'm sorry." Natasha wisely suggests I inquire as to what sort of dressing is on the salad. I'm told that it is carrot sesame dressing but if I don't want it, it can be changed.

crickets

The main courses- Natasha had a vegan curry. When she first ordered it, she asked if it was made with milk or cream, and was told no, just vegetables, with paneer. Could they make it vegan? Our server didn't know what that meant. (At this point I'd be asking myself if waiting were my true calling.) My tandoori salmon arrived simply baked, and delicious, I might add. Natasha also enjoyed her curry, and the naan that came out with flecks of spices was light, fluffy in the right places, and perfectly charred on the bottom, with a finish almost reminiscent of matzoh- a good thing by my taste.

Ah, and then it is time to order dessert. I'm told the sorbets are chocolate, mango and orange-cardamom. Natasha specifically inquires if there is any dairy in the sorbet. Our server says no. It is plain chocolate sorbet, no dairy. The sorbet comes out and we each taste the "chocolate" and immediately freak out.. Not only does it taste like nuts, Natasha (having PKU) knows for certain there is dairy present, simply by feeling the texture between her fingers. We call over the waiter. I ask again, "Is this chocolate or chocolate hazlenut?" He replies, "It is chocolate, chocolate gianduia[Hm, does he happen to know that gianduia specifies a prailine flavoring- and the presence of nuts?

We call out the "chef" who assures me that no there are no nuts- just nut oil. This is why I carry the allergy card- becasue it lists on the back that not only am I allergic to tree nuts, but their oils as well. We're told there's no dairy, just chocolate. Natasha asks to see ingredients, as she can eat cocoa, but not milk chocolate. The chef says sorry, he doesn't know them. They why is he telling us what is or is not in the dish???

We receive the check to find we are fully charged for everything, plus a rice we did not order. We ask to speak to the manager and are informed that the chef who prepares the desserts is not present. Then who did we speak to? Another "chef". The manager removes a glass of wine from our bill.

This is just unacceptable. Wholly disappointing. I have left a message for the owner of this restaurant group but have yet to hear back. Definitely the worst RW experience- and one of the worst dining out experiences I have ever had. I would rather not be served something than risk getting sick- which is exactly what happened. I am angry that we were charged to eat in a restaurant that was irresponsible enough to put our health at stake.

ETA: By most recipes, gindiuia does include actual hazelnut pieces, and I should have noted that the English translation of the flavor is actually chocolate-hazelnut.

I couldn't find a topic for Bombay Club. Does it fly under the radar? Our experience last night was just lovely, from a mango martini with a bracing pepper kick, to the Goan fish curry which was rich and flavorful but not at all heavy. The chat (fried spinach) was divine, and puris as appetizers were bursting with fresh flavor. The only miss was the green chili chicken. We love heat, but this dish tasted of just green chili. Not very complex. The room is soothing, and the piano music is not so loud to prevent normal conversation. Service was attentive and friendly. This would be a very nice special occasion place, and with entree prices that often do not reach $20, it's a bargain for the quality of the experience. I'm sure this is not traditional street food Indian, but when I want to get dressed up AND have a hit of heat with my meal, this will definitely become a go-to. (Mods, if there is a thread I couldn't find, please feel free to put this in the right place. I'm only a clam...I don't know all the nuances of posting).

My brother and my dad were in town this weekend so naturally I wanted to do something special. Rasika was booked up (two weeks out!) so I decided to follow Sietsema's advice and hit up the Bombay Club for reservations.

When we got there, first came the cocktails. With some trepidation I ordered their Spicy Mango Martini, my brother had a Gibson, and my dad had the house version of a negroni. The mango martini was very tasty, even though the spicy simple syrup and the citrus vodka tended to gang up on the humble mango juice. Brother and dad were both satisfied with their libations.

Then came the food. We ordered the the duck kebab and the harra kabab (spinach, lentils, ginger, chillies etc) as appetizers. Main dishes were the tandoori chicken chops, lamb with apricot and brown onion, charcoal roasted eggplant, and califlower and green peas with onion and cumin. A basket of various breads and chutney were also purchased.

To be blunt, everything was delicious. In this case, Sietsema was spot on with the duck kebab and the roasted eggplant. They were both hits at our table. The tandoor was, well, "moist and flavorful" and the cauliflower and peas had a nice kick. The herra kebab was surprisingly good given its looks (a very dark green hockey puck). The weak spot was probably the lamb, which did not get much oomph from a very mild sauce.

Definitely a fine meal and I would return right now if I could. Props to Sietsema for this recommendation.

Went to the Bombay Club in search of a Fathers Day dinner that would require the kids to dress up at which I could wear my new tie. I confess to coming away a little disappointed. With the exception of the chairs, I preferred the old decor to the new and, at this point I'm not certain that the ever-gracious service compensates for food that comes off a little bland.

I wasn't enough of a regular to have memorized the decor but, the place felt brighter and more airy, almost as though you were dining on the terrace instead of the men's club-like vibe you get now.

And the food felt competent without being memorable: the arugula spinach chat was great and my son spoke rapturously about the Mulligatawny Soup. The shrimp and kabobs, however, felt underspiced -- not that I'm a heat junkie, but it seemed that spices of all temperatures were distributed with too light a hand.

The same with the lobster -- properly cooked, but lacking a certain zing which might have lifted it from good to great. Not, it seemed to me, the "Unabashedly Indian" experience that the menu promises. Boar was pleasingly assertive, however and my daughter enjoyed her chicken.

All in all, the food seemed strangely muted, as though calibrated for a crowd that skewed significantly toward the older, affluent and (perhaps) conservatively palated.

Fortunately, food was the second most important thing yesterday (third, if you count the ceiling collapse) and the low-key elegance of room and service ensured that delightful time was had by all.

In addition to great atmosphere and solid food (love the fresh juices, btw), I think the service deserves special praise. Their unobtrusive yet extremely attentive manner make this a regular stop on my business lunch circuit.

I agree about the service at Bombay Club, and I also admire the elegant and classy upgrade to the dining room.

Last night, I was talking with an insider, and mentioned that I had dinner there earlier this year, and wasn't terribly impressed with the food. I thought sure, for example, that the chutneys came straight out of a jar, but I was corrected - they are indeed made in-house. At his urging, which included an incredible claim that Bombay Club has "the best tandoor chef in the country" (!), I gave it another go, as carryout, and ordered only recommended dishes:

Dahi Ka Baingan ($12.95) charcoal roasted eggplant, onion, yogurt

Lasooni Palak ($12.95) spinach with cottage cheese

Tandoori Trout ($17.00) yes, the fourth trout entree I've had in nine nights

Pudina Paratha ($3.50)

Cucumber Raita ($5.00)

Kingfisher ($6.00) while I waited

Once again, the service was wonderful, and even as I waited at the bar for my carryout order, I was taken by the majesty of this beautiful restaurant. Unfortunately, this meal only served to strengthen my opinion that this food is no better than I could get at Haandi. This is not some sort of high insult, as I like Haandi well enough, and in all fairness, Bombay Club has an extraordinary location and is only slightly more expensive. However, at this point, I'm willing to "agree to disagree" with anyone who thinks Bombay Club's cuisine is anything more than pleasant. I recognize greatness at several Indian restaurants in the area, but I just don't see it here, and I don't think this is a close call.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Once again, the service was wonderful, and even as I waited at the bar for my carryout order, I was taken by the majesty of this beautiful restaurant. Unfortunately, this meal only served to strengthen my opinion that this food is no better than I could get at Haandi. This is not some sort of high insult, as I like Haandi well enough, and in all fairness, Bombay Club has an extraordinary location and is only slightly more expensive. However, at this point, I'm willing to "agree to disagree" with anyone who thinks Bombay Club's cuisine is anything more than pleasant. I recognize greatness at several Indian restaurants in the area, but I just don't see it here, and I don't think this is a close call.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I would completely agree, and add further that I really like this restaurant for exactly that reason. It's Indian comfort food, or more appropriately an Indian comfort restaurant, a place to have a nice relaxing lunch, or a very quiet dinner, in calm surroundings, and have everybody at the table happy with the meal--no 'wows', usually, no table discussion of how a dish was prepared or how incredibly fresh an ingredient seems, but just simple eating. And occasionally, a dish comes to the table that is a bit elevated--last week, the sev puri I had as a starter during restaurant week was great, for instance.

Has anyone ever been to their $20 Sunday brunch buffet?

I want a special meal for my upcoming birthday, and am set on Indian since I am just craving that complex mix of spices, but wasn't sure if the buffet was worth it. I haven't read too much about it anywhere else, and I'm not really trusting Yelp! these days.

I've been to Rasika, but the Bombay Club buffet is cheaper. I also can't resist an Indian buffet. :))

YES. It's been a few months, but IIRC there was ulimited sparking wine served with a smile, and a large enough variety to satisfy us. There were a few meat dishes, a few vegetarian dishes, something egg-based, rice, pickle, salad...Though I am fuzzy on details I definitely remember having a great time. You can dress up (or down, but most people were dressed up), listen to the cheesy piano music and enjoy a lot of really tasty, well-prepared food. It's a good time.

I want a special meal for my upcoming birthday, and am set on Indian since I am just craving that complex mix of spices, but wasn't sure if the buffet was worth it. I haven't read too much about it anywhere else, and I'm not really trusting Yelp! these days.

I've been to Rasika, but the Bombay Club buffet is cheaper. I also can't resist an Indian buffet. ohmy.gif)

Did you end up going? Or has anyone else been recently?

I'm supposed to be heading there for brunch this Sunday with a large group and am wondering if I'm going to be disappointed. Although I am planning to swing for the champagne addition so worst case I'll just drink my money's worth. Probably best that I don't make any plans for afterward. :P

Did you end up going? Or has anyone else been recently?

I'm supposed to be heading there for brunch this Sunday with a large group and am wondering if I'm going to be disappointed. Although I am planning to swing for the champagne addition so worst case I'll just drink my money's worth. Probably best that I don't make any plans for afterward. :P

Yes, I did go that one time when I first posted asking about it. It was good food, kept fresh and nothing dried out, wonderful service, good music. Worth the price, I would say. Standard Indian buffet fare, maybe one level above Delhi Club's weekend buffet in terms of offerings. Equal in execution and taste, imo.

There seemed to be mainly tourists there when I went, as I'm sure they're from the hotels around the area and there always seems to be 90% tourists in that area on weekends. They were mostly taken with the scrambled eggs in the brunch offering, which were indeed good...and probably made of 50% butter (that + the spices were what made them spectacular), but the other curries and appetizer-like foods (poppadoms, bahji, etc.) were good, as well.

Yes, I did go that one time when I first posted asking about it. It was good food, kept fresh and nothing dried out, wonderful service, good music. Worth the price, I would say. Standard Indian buffet fare, maybe one level above Delhi Club's weekend buffet in terms of offerings. Equal in execution and taste, imo.

There seemed to be mainly tourists there when I went, as I'm sure they're from the hotels around the area and there always seems to be 90% tourists in that area on weekends. They were mostly taken with the scrambled eggs in the brunch offering, which were indeed good...and probably made of 50% butter (that + the spices were what made them spectacular), but the other curries and appetizer-like foods (poppadoms, bahji, etc.) were good, as well.

Thanks for the feedback!

I had the buffet brunch at Bombay Club in February of 2010, about a week after all the snoverkill. First, it's a very pleasant room, with a civilized feel that prevents the buffet from seeming like a feedlot. The food was perfectly nice, no better than that, but that's really good enough under the circumstances and at the price. Christopher Hitchens (may God rest his soul <_<) was there, and went outside with his scotch and a companion at least three times to smoke during the course of about an hour. Pleasant, unobtrusive jazzish piano, gracious service. Definitely worth the modest price.

By the way, I think Bombay Club is actually slightly closer to Farragut Square than to Lafayette Square.

Really enjoyed brunch there yesterday. I eat a lot of Indian, but it tends to be what's near my office in Silver Spring. Probably the best Indian I've had has been in the University Park area, Udupi and Woodman's (Wood something, I'm sort of blanking right now on the name) across the street so my experience with very good Indian may be limited, but I thought what was offered on the buffet was the best I'd had in some cases. The eggplant dish and a very spicy chicken dish were my favorites. The add on champagne option is definitely worth it. I was pleased to see that you could have mimosas as well. They leave small pitchers of OJ on your table so that you can make your own to your taste and are constantly refilling your glass with champagne. As others have said, service here is outstanding and the decor is pleasant. I would be happy to go back, or take visitors.

Last night delivered perfect weather for patio dining at Bombay Club. This has become a favorite of ours. The food is so good (as others upthread have said, not great, or inventive) and reliable and the service is courtly. After a tiring day, to be treated with such civility is a treat. I think the dal here is probably my favorite comfort food in the world. I love, love, love Rasika, but when I need peace, quiet and curry, Bombay Club never disappoints.

With me being knocked up, we weren't into the whole bar/party scene for New Year's Eve this year, so decided to indulge in a nice dinner at Bombay Club. The early seating offered a 3-course prix fixe menu, while the later seating was 5-courses (we opted for the latter for $75 each).

We loved the festive atmosphere as we walked in and noticed clusters of black and silver balloons attached to each table, and each place setting had either a black and silver hat or tiara, plus little noise makers. The live piano music is always a treat.

Our menu was as follows:

Amuse:

KHUBANI SHORBA

Apricot, garlic, fennel, yogurt, cilantro

1st Course:

DAHI BHALLA CHAAT Delhi street food, lentil dumplings, yogurt & chutney

SEV PURI crisp puri, potatoes, mango, apple, onion & chutney

CHUTNEY SAMOSA butternut squash, peas, mint, date-tamarind

And

ALOO KA ACHAR onion, chili, ginger, panch phoran

2nd Course:

MUSTARD SHRIMP- SCALLOP ginger, garlic, yogurt, tomato & crab khitchdi

OR

PANEER PASANDA KEBAB shitake, ginger, raisin, tomato, tamarind

3rd Course:

MALAI LAMB CHOP yogurt, fennel, black pepper, coriander and VENISON ROAST chilies, ginger, cumin & mustard

OR

TRIO OF TIKKI spinach, potato, kidney bean-shitake, pickled vegetable, raita

4th Course:

LOBSTER PISTA KORMA onion, pistachio, yogurt and CHICKEN TIKKA LABABDAR onion, tomato, fenugreek, garam masala

OR

BOMBAY THALI guchhi matar, paneer makhni, lasooni palak, dum aloo, broccoli poriyal, dal makhni, vegetable pulao, lachha paratha

Dessert:

DARK CHOCOLATE MOUSSE

GARAM MASALA ICECREAM

MANGO CRÈME BRULEE

And

DATE & JAGGERY PAYASAM (PUDDING)

I don't think there was anything we didn't like. The 1st course and dessert did not have choices, and we were each served a plate with a small serving of each item listed, but for the middle three courses we each ordered one of the options to better try everything. We were also served garlic naan with course 2 and regular naan and lachha paratha with course 4.

Overall our favorites were the Samosa, Scallop, Lamb Chop, Chicken Tikka, Paneer Makhni, Dum Aloo, and Mango Creme Brulee. The 4th course serving was particularly generous, so we were quite stuffed by the time we waddled out 2.5 hours later.

I would definitely recommend Bombay Club for one of their special nights, but also for a regular dinner out. As mentioned above, it may not be as interesting and trendy as Rasika, but it certainly hits the spot and offers a quieter, more classy atmosphere than its rowdy younger sister.

• Like 1

With me being knocked up ...

I don't think there was anything we didn't like ...

As mentioned above, it may not be as interesting and trendy as Rasika, but it certainly hits the spot and offers a quieter, more classy atmosphere than its rowdy younger sister.

Your first sentence made me laugh out loud!

I was at Bombay Club for a private function last Friday night, and was *very* impressed at both the service, which was absolutely impeccable, and all the plates I saw coming from the kitchen (I was standing right by the entrance to the kitchen, so got a very good glimpse of things). Whoever was running the kitchen last Friday was rocking it.

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the dal. Buttery, caramely, luxurious mouthfeel. I could eat a bucket of that stuff, and the naan they bake here is excellent: light and flaky but with decent chew.

I had the Club Thali for lunch and for me it's a great introduction to what makes Indian cuisine great: the sauces and the curries, all delicately spiced. I kinda wish it came with 10 loaves of naan instead of the 2 you get by default.

Had dinner here for Restaurant Week for a friend's birthday.  We came in and I asked for a cocktail menu which I never got and then our waiter asked us about cocktails.  By that time I had found a bottle of wine and didn't want to wait another few minutes for menus and then for everyone to decide what they wanted.  The service the rest of the night was very good, but it definitely started slowly.  Started with the kale chat- which IMHO and our entire tables it was the best appetizer to get.  I actually thought the portion was almost a little big for one person, but Hubby didn't love whatever he ordered and stole a bunch so it worked out well. I had the mango shrimp curry for my entree.  I thought this was very nice.  The table got assorted naan with our orders and I had a piece of that.  I got bites of Matt's chicken tikka which was really good and my friend got the other chicken dish a curry which was also very good.  I am a big fan of a gosht and the one ordered looked good, but I was very happy with my dish, not anything really out of this world unique, but really what I wanted.  For dessert I had the carrot halwa.  I loved this dessert, it was sweet, the carrots had an amazing flavor and it was so unique.  I love the almonds in it.  I love sweets and chocolate but I would order this again over chocolate cake or other things.

Hadn't been to Bombay Club in several years. So looked forward to a brunch this morning. Shouldn't have bothered.

Starting with the chaat table:  The Aloo chaat had great flavors but the potatoes (the aloo) were undercooked to the point of being crunchy.

The aloo tikkis were almost burned in the fryer and oil sodden from being left in too long.

I don't remember the names of all the main dishes but both meat curries had over cooked meats, the goat as well as the chicken. Both curries were also almost watery.

The vegetable dishes were passable but not what I would expect from Bombay Club.

The biggest disappointment: the egg bhurji. It was neither a bhurji nor was it well cooked. It was actually Aakuri. It was under salted, overcooked to the point where the egg proteins had coagulated and become tough. We mentioned this to the manager and were told she would see what she could do about it. Soon enough a fresh batch was made and a dish or it presented to our table. Same problem.

The other puzzling menu item was the vegetable pulao. Perfectly fine on its own but why serve a spiced, vegetable laden rice dish with dishes that beg for plain rice?

The desserts were just as bad. The carrots in the gajjar halwa was not cooked enough. The Gulab Jamun was sickeningly sweet.

I am sorry I am not more detailed in my review. But this was a table of five Indians, including my mother -- 'nuf said.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2015 at 8:04 PM, Smita Nordwall said:

Hadn't been to Bombay Club in several years. So looked forward to a brunch this morning. Shouldn't have bothered.

Starting with the chaat table:  The Aloo chaat had great flavors but the potatoes (the aloo) were undercooked to the point of being crunchy.

The aloo tikkis were almost burned in the fryer and oil sodden from being left in too long.

I don't remember the names of all the main dishes but both meat curries had over cooked meats, the goat as well as the chicken. Both curries were also almost watery.

The vegetable dishes were passable but not what I would expect from Bombay Club.

The biggest disappointment: the egg bhurji. It was neither a bhurji nor was it well cooked. It was actually Aakuri. It was under salted, overcooked to the point where the egg proteins had coagulated and become tough. We mentioned this to the manager and were told she would see what she could do about it. Soon enough a fresh batch was made and a dish or it presented to our table. Same problem.

The other puzzling menu item was the vegetable pulao. Perfectly fine on its own but why serve a spiced, vegetable laden rice dish with dishes that beg for plain rice?

The desserts were just as bad. The carrots in the gajjar halwa was not cooked enough. The Gulab Jamun was sickeningly sweet.

I am sorry I am not more detailed in my review. But this was a table of five Indians, including my mother -- 'nuf said.

Never understood the appeal of this place, other than the pretty environment. Last few times especially underwhelming. Food doesn't compare to the other Indian options in town.

58 minutes ago, Simul Parikh said:

Never understood the appeal of this place, other than the pretty environment. Last few times especially underwhelming. Food doesn't compare to the other Indian options in town.

Pretty environment *and* proximity to The White House - it's an important location for high-dollar dining. The last time I had lunch there, Helen Thomas was at the next table.