Kitchen Remodeling

Heather

Thanks for the input, lekkerwijn.

I'm looking at the budget and looking at possible trade-offs to free up some bucks for one thing or another.  So, I'm going with electric double wall ovens (non-negotiable for me), but do I really really want convection?  That adds about $1k to the oven cost, so is it worth it?  I think I want it but I've never had it.

Any convection oven owners out there that can offer any insight?

You mentioned roasting in a subsequent post; I got hooked on convection because it is so much better (IMO) when roasting.  I had a small countertop oven with convection and I found it did really good chicken and other items (the convection heat seems to seal the skin and thus preserve the juiciness of the interior meat).  So when it came time to do the kitchen in the new house I went for an electric double wall oven such as you want.  I don't know why it is "not good" for braising, although since the item being cooked is inside a closed pot I suppose it wouldn't have much advantage, but I don't see any harm.  Convection's chief advantage is it makes the heat uniform everywhere, which is also good for baking.  It also pulls the "cold" off the surface of whatever you're making more efficiently, thus making the heat work better.  Kind of like how wind chill works on your skin outdoors, only in reverse.

• Like 1

I was imprecise in my language.  I meant that the convection was "not helpful" in braising -- it didn't affect the outcome or the timing significantly over conventional ovens.

I went out to a couple of appliance stores today to do a little hands-on inspection.  Of the higher-rated CR models, I liked the Bosch best when I saw it in-store.  The Whirlpool didn't impress me, but I'll probably take another look now that I have more information, but I am also aware that online consumer reviews have a lot of negatives about the noise of the fan in the Whirlpool model.

..... but I am also aware that online consumer reviews have a lot of negatives about the noise of the fan in the Whirlpool model.

You can go bonkers reading consumer reviews; you'll find every viewpoint imaginable, and in the end, no matter how many reviews you read and what brand/model you finally select, it's something of a crapshoot.  Hopefully you'll get a good one, but maybe not.

I would suggest going for sealed (hidden) heating elements -- ten years ago, last I looked, those were available (and more expensive) but not a given.  It may be different now.

I hear ya on the crapshoot.  I've got another 3-4 weeks to shop around before I have to commit.

My latest readings have clued me in to something I hadn't even considered -- rolling racks.  apparently, they can't be repositioned, and it's unclear to me right now whether they can be easily removed.  I'm often removing a rack when I braise in a taller pot, so this is a feature that doesn't sound good to me.  But then, I've got a puny oven now, so maybe I wouldn't need to pull a rack completely out.

A friend found a website for a showroom/scratch-n-dent seller of a high-end store and the possibility exists for me to get a Viking RDDOE306 for $2700 showroom model (they may not ship to NoVa).  Anyone have experience with Viking ovens?

A friend found a website for a showroom/scratch-n-dent seller of a high-end store and the possibility exists for me to get a Viking RDDOE306 for $2700 showroom model (they may not ship to NoVa).  Anyone have experience with Viking ovens?

I would pass. Their number of recalls over the past few years have been on the increase, though I'm not sure how many oven recalls there have been...

Not necessarily a matter of kitchen remodeling, but it is in the case of my kitchen: My new condo (as of December 2014) has a water heater in the kitchen (which also supplies the bathroom) with a really small tank. I don't know the exact capacity, but the thing is installed under one of the kitchen counters. I'd really like to replace it with a tankless water heater. When I lived in Lisbon in 1993 (in somewhat backward (at the time) Portugal, that is to say) we had a tankless water heater that worked great. It ran on bottled butane gas, which isn't an option for me; only electric is possible. It makes so much more sense on any number of levels to heat only the water you need for immediate use, rather than keeping a big tank of water hot all the time. I don't know why tankless water heaters don't seem to have caught on in the US. Is it because so many houses and apartments are all electric, and the electric ones aren't any good? Does anyone have any experience with electric tankless water heaters?

• Like 1

I don't have one but I have several friends who have had them installed.  Initial costs are about 2x what a large hot water heat tank costs (or were the last time I priced them), but all my friendsl have been very happy with their tankless systems.

It's taken about as long as my patience could hold out, but my kitchen remodel is officially underway.  I came home yesterday to two walls demo'd down to the studs and notification that my oven has been shipped -- I went with a new-but-discontinued showroom model GE Monogram double convection oven from Elite Appliance's outlet warehouse in Dallas TX.  I've got a friend who lives near their location and she went and checked out the people and the oven for me.  They've been good to work with and so far I would recommend them.

Fingers crossed that everything goes smoothly now that it's underway!

• Like 1

I don't have one but I have several friends who have had them installed.  Initial costs are about 2x what a large hot water heat tank costs (or were the last time I priced them), but all my friendsl have been very happy with their tankless systems.

That's interesting.  I have been wanting to know what people think of these, especially people who enjoy long showers, living in a tiny condo if we could replace our hot water heater with a tankless one we would have so much more closet space. Soo... Hersch if you get one take some really hot showers and let me know how it goes, we looked at the Bosch one when our hot water heater needed replaced.

In another forum there was a discussion that started out about solar heating and somehow morphed into a discussion about tankless water heaters.  The two people who had them loved them one specifically mentioned "never running out of hot water".  It makes sense when you think about it........the heater heats the water as it passes through it so it always exits at the same temperature, no matter if it's the first gallon or the tenth gallon or the hundredth gallon.  Put another way, since there's no tank full of hot water sitting there, there's nothing to "run out" of.

I did ask about taking a shower, running the washer and running the dishwasher at the same time.  One of them said they've never tried it, but there might be a problem with that.  You could probably get an oversized one to take care of this if you have a need to do all that at the same time!

I did ask about taking a shower, running the washer and running the dishwasher at the same time.  One of them said they've never tried it, but there might be a problem with that.  You could probably get an oversized one to take care of this if you have a need to do all that at the same time!

Have one, did it, no problem. Water pressure decreases just a little for a second or two when the demand for hot water increases. The one and only complaint I have is that is sounds like a jet taking off when it gets going. It's blasting gas jet to heat water quickly, so on start-up it's pretty loud. The noise diminishes as its running for longer. We splurged and got a big-ass jetted tub, so the idea that we can fill it with water and still have hot water for a shower is pretty sweet.

• Like 1

I had a tankless gas (propane in my case) water heater and did not have a good experience with it.  First issue was it cost a lot more to install than expected because those things need very expensive double-wall stainless steel vent pipe.  If you have a place to install it where the vent can be minimized that would be less of a problem.  Unfortunately for me I didn't and only discovered that when it was too late to reconsider.

The bigger issue is that the electronic controls on tankless heaters are very complex.  Complexity means high repair frequency and cost.  Mine quit on me and the local plumbers weren't able to solve the issue even after hours of phone conversations with the techs -- I ended up having to replace it.  I decided to go with a much cheaper and simpler electric conventional water heater.  The truth is that conventional water heaters have been greatly improved in recent years (more insulation) and keep the hot water hot much longer than the old days, meaning you need less energy than you used to.  Plus there are no moving parts so nothing much to go wrong.  And way way cheaper.  It would take a long time to get the extra capital cost back from the tankless one based on lower fuel use.

Long story short; tankless heaters aren't the unmitigated boon they are often cracked up to be.  Proceed with caution.

How long ago did you have your tankless heater?

I'm wondering if the technology/reliability has improved in the last 10 (or whatever) years.

Bought it in 2006 when we built new house.  Replaced it probably two years ago.

I wouldn't claim they haven't improved.  But they inherently have lots of mechanical and especially electronic parts and sensors that can go wrong, so you're taking a risk.  I'd certainly go to the (DOE??--I don't remember) website where they have a calculator that you can use to figure out the energy you will likely use for each and see what the cost saving will actually be before I opted to take that risk.  I wouldn't be surprised if one simple service call could set you back a year or two's energy savings.  And being without hot water for even a day or two is no fun (remember, with a conventional heater you have the contents of the tank, but with a tankless you have zero).

I have a DC story about the latter point.  My sweetie and I once had a B&B in DC, which came with a giant water heater -- must have had a 100 gal. tank or even more.  Anyway we had ourselves and four guests when DC had one of those cyclones come through (must have been around 2003) and left us without power for nearly a week.  All six of us went into crisis mode with very short showers and managed to hold out for over 4 days. The water got pretty lukewarm by the end but at least it had enough warmth so you didn't freeze your buns trying to get clean.  Take it FWIW.

In another forum there was a discussion that started out about solar heating and somehow morphed into a discussion about tankless water heaters.  The two people who had them loved them one specifically mentioned "never running out of hot water".  It makes sense when you think about it........the heater heats the water as it passes through it so it always exits at the same temperature, no matter if it's the first gallon or the tenth gallon or the hundredth gallon.  Put another way, since there's no tank full of hot water sitting there, there's nothing to "run out" of.

We so far (knocks on wood) have had a positive experience with a tankless water heater. Pretty sure the one we got was a Noritz (it runs off of our natural gas connection already in our home). They are expensive, and they probably ultimately require more regular maintenance. But the endless hot water and modest energy savings and the freeing up of a nice sized space are all reasons we decided to go this route. We can run the dishwasher, take a shower and do a load of laundry all at the same time (and we can fill the big mega bathtub we have without ever running out of water - something we could not do with the old regular hot water heater). There may be a momentary blip when one of these items turns on that affects other current flowing hot water place, but it is very brief. These systems are all sized based on the size of the house (by size, mainly how many hot water connections do you have around the house, especially bathrooms), so you get a unit that is capable of supporting the size house you have (or plan to have, if you are or plan to expand).

Every house in our subdivision was built by the same builder, and every one of the similar models has the exact same kitchen, but every single house I've looked at around here has what I call a soffit, might be more accurately called a duct, on three walls, but not four.  I scraped off some paint and it's metal underneath, so say it's a duct.  But why a duct?

I accept that the one over the refrigerator is an air duct because there is a vent in it.  I can't accept that it's all an air duct because the part over the stove has a vent for the exhaust, and the part over the sink has a light.  I suspect they did it like that for uniformity.  I'm willing to pay to have it moved.  I just called a client who is a sheet metal worker involved in installing such things in a commercial setting, hospitals and government buildings and so forth, and he's willing to work on it if I have someone take a look at it first and figure out what's what.

So, my question to you, dear friends, is what kind of someone do I need?  Architect?  General contractor?

an experienced contractor will be able to tell you.

I would add: An experienced contractor will be able to tell you via email by sending them a set of well-taken pictures.

I'll further add: *We* will be able tell you by you posting a set of well-taken pictures right here in this thread. Why not put the power of this community to work for you? We're all your friends.

Have you traced where these "ducts" go? Don't forget, ducts can be intake or outtake, so each may have a separate function.

When you turn on the AC or heater, does air come out of any of them? Do you have a heat pump?

How long ago did you have your tankless heater?

I'm wondering if the technology/reliability has improved in the last 10 (or whatever) years.

We had one put in 1.5 years ago. No complicated controls. No metal exhaust, just a PVC pipe like the high efficiency furnaces these days. Depending on your gas line, though, you will probably need a meter upgrade, which can be a hassle.

We had one put in 1.5 years ago. No complicated controls. No metal exhaust, just a PVC pipe like the high efficiency furnaces these days. Depending on your gas line, though, you will probably need a meter upgrade, which can be a hassle.

Yeah I forgot to mention that the inflow and outflow pipes were PVC for mine as well.

Oh, it's been a frustrating few weeks for me and my contractor, getting drain lines put in and getting the permit approved.  Came home yesterday to the dirt cleaned up and it looks like all the wires have been pulled,so drywall should start being hung today.  I know he and I both are looking forward to that!

• Like 2

aaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnd...................nope.

Water shut-off valve is shot.  Well, it's a 50+ year old house built on the cheap then.  But there goes another half day to get a plumber in to replace that plus another $400 from the budget.

While the water is off you may want to have the plumber re-do all your toilet shut off valves replaced with the "new*" quarter turn valves.  It will up your budget a bit more, but since he's already there, you're saving a lot of money on him not making a separate trip.  You can do all your sink valves too, but the toilet may be the only one you need to work really fast and not be seized up.

* don't really know what "new" means.  They may have been around 20 years!

• Like 2

Finally, progress that shows!  Came home yesterday to drywall & ceiling installed, taped & mudded.  Now things should start really moving along.  Extended family has been saying "maybe we'll do family Xmas at your house IF the kitchen is done by then."   At this pace, I'm hoping to be done by Halloween!

• Like 1

Azami and I are doing a rather unexpected mini kitchen remodel. After we had to Sawzall away 1/3 of the kitchen doorframe to get the new fridge through, we figured: why not? :-P We are looking to replace the countertops as part of the project -- does anyone have experience with Paperstone, Richlite, or any of the other recycled paper composite counter materials? I'd like to do as much eco-friendly remodeling as possible and am intrigued by the paper composites, but haven't read many reviews by serious home cooks about how they hold up. Any thoughts on these, or other eco-friendly options, would be greatly appreciated.

Fabulous amount of progress in the past two days.  Cabinet boxes are installed, oven goes in tomorrow, it's time to order countertops and floor!  I was dancing around in there tonight just delighting in the amount of counterspace I'm going to have!

• Like 2

Ordered my floor and my contractor is pricing countertops for me to see if he can find a better deal than I can.  A little recalibration; the double oven as drawn on the plans sits a little low, so we're changing out the cabinet layout above and adding a drawer below to bring it up a few inches.  Plus the weight of it requires further stabilization, so adding some extra support as long as changes are being made.  I took a trip down to Ikea this morning to pick up the re-configured pieces and the add-ons.  I may still have a few pieces to take back for a refund when it's all put together, but right now my credit card is feeling the burn.   I did a little personal shopping while I was out and when i swiped my card to buy a skirt, the card was declined -- I guess Chase thought I'd spent enough money for one day!

• Like 1

Countertops installed and the floor is halfway done.  I ended up going with River White granite for the counters and they're gorgeous - unfortunately, they don't photograph well.  The sink isn't hooked up yet, but thanks to all who mentioned the 30" single bowl sink.  I love it already and haven't even tried to use it yet.

• Like 1

Sink/disposal/faucet and water hookup today.  Unfortunately, the cold water valve fitting for the faucet has a slow leak in it, but it's usable as long as I keep a bucket under it.  And i have to use it, as the water to the old kitchen has now been cut.  So we're cooking/eating upstairs, then carrying dishes downstairs to wash, then back upstairs to store while everything else gets finished.  I ordered off Amazon and I hope the manufacturer lives up to the rep points on the website.  The next 7-10 days are going to be the worst of it, as the working appliances will be split between old and new kitchens and finishing-up work is going on with the floors, trims, handles, etc.   But that's a very small window of disruption as these things go.

I am just starting the journey to remodel the kitchen at my house in Annapolis. What are features or appliances you must have. Opinions on French Cooktop, Wolf, ect. Looking to combine two rooms into a large and interactive kitchen where guests will drink wine while dinner cooks.

My budget didn't allow for all new appliances, so I got a new oven and induction burners and kept the fridge & D/W.  When I replace my current fridge, I'll want a counter-depth refrigerator.  Also, I went with a 30" single-bowl sink.  Love the size generally, but I bought one that was too deep and I can see it couldmight be a problem for my back.  I'll have to get a rack for the bottom to elevate whatever I'm scrubbing to a more comfortable depth.  Loving lots of task lighting but am having those lights put on a dimmer so it's not landing-light bright all the time.  

• Like 2

If you drink wine consider making room (in the kitchen and in the budget) for a wine fridge.  We added one when we redid our kitchen a few years ago and it just may be our most used appliance!  It has a divider in the middle so we can keep red and white at different temps.

• Like 1

I am just starting the journey to remodel the kitchen at my house in Annapolis. What are features or appliances you must have. Opinions on French Cooktop, Wolf, ect. Looking to combine two rooms into a large and interactive kitchen where guests will drink wine while dinner cooks.

If/when we ever remodel a kitchen again, the Blue Star cooktop I now have (thanks to this very thread!!) will be the most important appliance around which I'll design.

If/when we ever remodel a kitchen again, the Blue Star cooktop I now have (thanks to this very thread!!) will be the most important appliance around which I'll design.

Curious, who have you had come service your Blue Star? The place we bought ours from won't do it anymore.

Whenever I get a new kitchen (which won't be until I move out of my condo) I want a ventilation hood more than anything else, I have been able to make due in my tiny kitchen and endure with most of the lack of space, but constantly setting off my fire alarms (which coincidentally, I don't think were placed in the correct places, one is, one is supposed to be on the other side of a wall so it is in our bedroom) to cook a steak, cook bacon, when I bake something and a tiny bit drips over is horrible.  I also would HAVE to have another Bosch dishwasher, I adore mine.  Would love to have a wine fridge and a large space to hold liquors, cocktail accouterment and appropriate glassware.  But goodness, I would just like to be able to have more than six people be able to eat comfortably in my house.

Curious, who have you had come service your Blue Star? The place we bought ours from won't do it anymore.

They break? Thankfully, In the almost 2 years I've had the cooktop, it hasn't needed any repairs. From what I understand, though, there's not much that needs professional care. The igniters you can replace yourself. What else is there? (Knocking wood to undo the jinx I just brought on myself). We bought ours from ABW in Rockville and they said they back their equipment. Hopefully, this isn't who you used!

I forgot to mention the Vent-A-Hood, also found through this thread. It's the quietest and most efficient hood I could find. The lights are fantastic!

• Like 1

They break? Thankfully, In the almost 2 years I've had the cooktop, it hasn't needed any repairs. From what I understand, though, there's not much that needs professional care. The igniters you can replace yourself. What else is there? (Knocking wood to undo the jinx I just brought on myself). We bought ours from ABW in Rockville and they said they back their equipment. Hopefully, this isn't who you used!

We got ours from M&M Appliance in the District.  Over the past few months the igniters on two of the burners have kept clicking even after the gas is lit.

I think all cooking operations will be moving into the new kitchen this weekend.  I still have to install a backsplash but will rig up something in the meantime (probably foil and painter's tape) behind both the sink and the cooktop.  Looking forward to getting things underway in there.

• Like 1

Meeting with designer this Friday to start reviewing plans.  Since I'm convinced we're getting rid of the living room, this is going to be a large kitchen.  For folks that have done this how much refrigeration did you get.  I don't really have space for one in the garage and there is no basement but the kitchen is or will be an empty slate.

• Like 1

When we did our remodel, we only put in one, standard refrigerator, but the old one went into the garage and we already had one in the basement! We also put in a wine 'fridge, which we absolutely love, but we probably couldn't have easily survived on just one regular 'fridge.

I've got a large standard refrigerator, but since I have a small chest freezer in the unfinished part of the downstairs (so only 15 steps away), when I replace the fridge, I may get a commercial 48" wide refrigerator-only.  Not sure on that but definitely keeping that as a possibility.

When we did our remodel, we only put in one, standard refrigerator, but the old one went into the garage and we already had one in the basement! We also put in a wine 'fridge, which we absolutely love, but we probably couldn't have easily survived on just one regular 'fridge.

It's a good idea to check how much electricity old (and less efficient) refrigerators use.  The fridge in general is one of the biggest power users in the house.  Keeping old ones around can be a significant but unrecognized increment to the monthly electric bill.

Much information about this can be had from your old friend Google.  One discussion here.  Take it FWIW.