Christmas Eve Dinner - Planning Early This Year

saf

So, we usually go to 1789 for Christmas Eve dinner. This year, uncertainty in the number involved meant that we did not get reservations in time. So, I need to find a place along the lines of 1789 that can take 8 for dinner at 8:30 on Christmas Eve.  That is, quieter, good food, good wine, can handle a table with diners from 16- 75 years old, and in general, a pleasant place to be.

Who is usually open that night with a nice dinner?

We called Corduroy, but they aren't taking reservations for December yet, and are not POSITIVE that they will be open that night, or when reservations will open. Too bad - this was our first thought.

The last two times this happened, we went to Ris. The first time was great. The second time was a disaster, and we are not willing to risk that again. (2 of us have been back since. The food was good, but there were some service issues.)

We used to do Ruppert's for Christmas Eve, but that is no more. We did Vidalia once - maybe that would work again. Anyone been there lately? I used to like Equinox, but haven't been in a long time, and have heard that it is not as good as it was.

We'll be coming from SW DC, and would prefer to stay in the District.

Help?

• Like 1

So, we usually go to 1789 for Christmas Eve dinner. This year, uncertainty in the number involved meant that we did not get reservations in time. So, I need to find a place along the lines of 1789 that can take 8 for dinner at 8:30 on Christmas Eve.  That is, quieter, good food, good wine, can handle a table with diners from 16- 75 years old, and in general, a pleasant place to be.

Are you saying that 1789 is booked for this *coming* Christmas Eve? Maybe it's because of Georgetown parents - I'd guess you could pretty much have your pick of any other restaurant in the area right now. In fact, a reliable party of 8 (I can vouch for your integrity!) is something a restaurateur would love to have this far in advance.

Give us some first thought responses to these ("too expensive" is perfectly legitimate!) If the answer is "No," please briefly say why - it will help us to help you:

CityZen

Marcel's

The Oval Room

Equinox

Vidalia

Plume

Tosca

Bourbon Steak

Fiola

New Heights

Obelisk

Corduroy

Charlie Palmer Steak

Proof

Restaurant Eve

Are you saying that 1789 is booked for this *coming* Christmas Eve?

Yes - and it is usually booked by July. We are WAY behind this year. We didn't know if we would be 3, 6, or 9 - and then it turns out that we are 8. Although that may become 9, but most likely not.  Seriously, I think some people book for the next year as they leave dinner on Christmas Eve!

OK, they did offer us 5:30.  We can't do that.

CityZen - Delicious, but too expensive. Also a bit noisy.

Marcel's - Never been, have no idea

The Oval Room- Never been, have no idea

Equinox - Have enjoyed, although was not as good last time. Would consider, if people told me it was back to previous standards

Vidalia - Am considering, would like reassurance that it is still as good as the last time we were there - a number of years ago!

Plume - Never been, have no idea

Tosca- Never been, have no idea

Bourbon Steak - Doesn't appeal. Too steaky.

Fiola - - Never been, have no idea

New Heights - Oh, that's a good thought.

Obelisk - - Never been, might be interested, but isn't it tasting menu only? We have one person with a limited diet, and I will not eat seafood.

Corduroy - First thing we though of, but not taking reservations, and not certain they will be open.

Charlie Palmer Steak - Doesn't appeal. Too steaky.

Proof - Never been, have no idea

701 - Haven't been there in years and years. Should we consider it?

Restaurant Eve - Good, but pricey and would prefer to stay in the city. Haven't been since the re-do. Should we consider it?

2941 - Would prefer to stay in the city.

Thanks for thinking of Corduroy first. I wish everyone did that! We will be open Christmas Eve and Christmas day as we have been the last 14 years.  We may not be accepting reservations for that night now because the menu/price has not been set.  The price will probably be the same or $5 more a person depending upon what is offered. We can take your reservation early since Don has vouched for you.   

• Like 1

We have not been in a couple of years but why do people never mention L'auberge Chez Francois anymore?  I respect that you do not want something in the suburbs but this IS the logical alternative to 1789 and I do not understand how 2941 can be suggested but not here?

Looking at the internet (Zagat, Yelp, Trip Adviser) they all seem to rate it as high as ever-why is it overlooked on this board?  It gets an older crowd.  But so does 1789.

I must add that several years ago l'auberge had similarly long waits for reservations for Thanksgiving as 1789.

Is it that L'auberge Chez Francois hasn't changed in decades and because it gets an older crowd that it is considered a dinosaur on this board?  But the food, the charm and the crowds are still the same?  This is exactly what we found on our last visit.  Would really like to hear from someone who has been recently.

---

[The following posts have been moved into separate threads:

L'Auberge Chez Franí§ois (Keithstg)]

Edited by DonRocks
  • Like 2

In years that we are home on Christmas and not felt like cooking, we have gone for a Feast of the Seven Fishes at a few different restaurants. Not sure if Dean is planning to do the same at the Grotto but it was wonderful, casual and homey in past years at Dino. Fiola also had a similar offer and perhaps now that Fiola Mare is open it will move over there. The Fiola version wasn't our favorite and was the most expensive.  For the hot minute that the controversial Galileo III was open, Roberto Donna did an incredible Feast that was probably the best version of the meal we've had. 

Thanks for thinking of Corduroy first. I wish everyone did that! We will be open Christmas Eve and Christmas day as we have been the last 14 years.  We may not be accepting reservations for that night now because the menu/price has not been set.  The price will probably be the same or $5 more a person depending upon what is offered. We can take your reservation early since Don has vouched for you.   

I expect that you will see Dame Edna and me on Christmas Day--as per usual.

We've not dined out on Christmas Eve before, but my husband saw the PF menu at Fiola Mare (Georgetown) and within minutes we had a reservation. They're serving a la carte until 6, and then have two levels of PF menus for the rest of the evening. It may or may not be right for your group of 8, but you'll surely get seven fishes, and then some!

Bastille does a lovely job with Thanksgiving, so if they're open for Christmas Eve, I'm sure it will be great. It's outside the city, but only just over the river and through the woods.

We have not been in a couple of years but why do people never mention L'auberge Chez Francois anymore?  I respect that you do not want something in the suburbs but this IS the logical alternative to 1789 and I do not understand how 2941 can be suggested but not here?

Looking at the internet (Zagat, Yelp, Trip Adviser) they all seem to rate it as high as ever-why is it overlooked on this board?  It gets an older crowd.  But so does 1789.

I must add that several years ago l'auberge had similarly long waits for reservations for Thanksgiving as 1789.

Is it that L'auberge Chez Francois hasn't changed in decades and because it gets an older crowd that it is considered a dinosaur on this board?  But the food, the charm and the crowds are still the same?  This is exactly what we found on our last visit.  Would really like to hear from someone who has been recently.

L'Auberge Chez Franí§ois simply isn't that good, and it's pretty far out. The total package is pleasant, but this would be a Michelin one-star restaurant if it had anything resembling excellent food, but it doesn't, and isn't.

The restaurant is "okay," and you can walk away from your meal there happy and satisfied, but it's nothing more than that. And I've personally had some things there that were downright awful - awful on absolute terms, not merely "for the restaurant."

I'm happy to go there once a year, often to try a less common preparation of something I normally wouldn't order, and since my expectations aren't too high, they generally aren't dashed. For Christmas Eve, it may indeed be a good choice for a variety of people.

This restaurant had become a laughingstock due to the annual Washingtonian "Best Of" Readers' Poll. It took many years, but eventually, everyone realized the emperor had no clothes, and they all stopped looking at the emperor.

L'Auberge Chez Franí§ois is also the rare restaurant where main courses tend to be superior to appetizers which might be a chit in favor of Christmas Eve dinner.

• Like 1

Thanks for thinking of Corduroy first. I wish everyone did that! We will be open Christmas Eve and Christmas day as we have been the last 14 years. 

Thanks for the response! I'm going to send you a PM with a few questions about our person with food issues, but I think it will work. I really appreciate you responding.

(I love Corduroy - I celebrated my MA graduation there, in the old space, and try to get in to the new place semi-regularly. It's always great.)