Posh Restaurant and Supper Club - Closed

This one is from washingtonpost.com. Sound familiar?

Diamond in the Rough

Posted by dcnightliferaw on Jun 06, 2008

Posh has certainly found its place in DCs dining scene: an upscale restaurant serving consistently excellent modern American fare with a backdrop of live entertainment. Christopher Willis (one of the most underrated chefs in the nation) streamlined Poshýs menu so that it now contains simple takes on classic American dining: perfectly grilled salmon withroasted sweet corn and wild rice pilaf, meaty jumbo lump crab cakes crisp with panko, and some of the best truffled French fries in the city. When dining out almost five nights a week, it is hard to find a restaurant that both appeals to the general publicýs taste and delivers consistently outstanding quality in terms of food and value. In this respect Posh has never disappointed.

[Christopher has fully disclosed being chef at Posh here in the past - the cut-and-paste post up above seems more about being 'unfamiliar with protocol' than anything else, so please let's give him the benefit of the doubt for now. (Christopher I'll show you how to update your profile tomorrow.) Cheers, Rocks]

[Christopher has fully disclosed being chef at Posh here in the past - the cut-and-paste post up above seems more about being 'unfamiliar with protocol' than anything else, so please let's give him the benefit of the doubt for now. (Christopher I'll show you how to update your profile tomorrow.) Cheers, Rocks]

The quaint thing, though, is that it sounds as though Christopher is writing in the third person, which is what makes it sound like the ultimate shill. The Chowhound post is deleted so I can't see the origin of the DR post, but even if he's not the original author, it still pangs of a shill. Regardless, the post reminded me of one of those "reviews" you read in the Post's Dining Guide that are clandestinely labeled "advertisement" at the top of the page. Being no Sietsema apologist, I wouldn't mind the chef taking on the reviewer (though I thought the "gayly chic" comment was inappropriate regardless of authorship) but his chosen approach seems to do more harm than good for his restaurant.

Feel free to move this post...

Pax,

Brian

Brian, I'm with you!

Foregoing a debate of Mr. Sietesma's journalistic merits - which are frequently and heavily criticized for being pretentiously "gay chic", not catering to the general public and containing obscenely low ratings for the sole purpose of grandstanding - one can agree that the restaurant's Beta release should have avoided a Michelin star approach to dining. Posh, like so many other restaurants before it, fell victim to the classic industry misnomer - that the common diner's interests are primarily reflected in the often elitist culinary views of the critics that review them.

You want to forego a debate of Seitsema's merits, but call him pretentious, elitist, grandstanding, and GAY? How does turning a professional dispute into a base personal attack make your restaurant any better?

the story was on first the story was on first dcnightliferaw.typepad.com/folder/2008/06/diamond-in-the.html.

I did not write the article, I just cut and paste this. I do not have any hatred to Mr. Seitsama but after the review I did change the menu,concept, and some staff because when you do open a restaurant you have high expectations and you do have to be cut down and I respect that. The food is a little less showey and go a bit more southern. Hope everyone enjoys the 4th and I will be open at 9:30 this friday for late night apps and drinks.

I have been working on this for a while and its coming next week for lunch take out, dinner carry out or even eat in. Its a new cooking method that does not involve any MSG or any additives and still has the same flavor and crispiness. Please come and check us out, its called Mad for Chicken and I have to say that this chicken is the best chicken that I have ever tasted. Its even better the next day.

Mad for Chicken at Posh

I have been working on this for a while and its coming next week for lunch take out, dinner carry out or even eat in. Its a new cooking method that does not involve any MSG or any additives and still has the same flavor and crispiness. Please come and check us out, its called Mad for Chicken and I have to say that this chicken is the best chicken that I have ever tasted. Its even better then next day.

Mad for Chicken at Posh

From the description, looks like someone is trying to duplicate Korean Fried Chicken. Did you hire a Korean chef to do the chicken?

From the description, looks like someone is trying to duplicate Korean Fried Chicken. Did you hire a Korean chef to do the chicken?

No but it is the same method without the MSG and more health conscious. We have partnered with Mad for Chicken which I have been trained by yes a Korean Chef.

What is in it that would require FDA examination?

I am glad you asked that, I was wondering the same thing.

Perhaps "it has passed three thorough examinations from the FDA and USDA" might have been a requirement to backup the following claim: "our sauce brings health benefits"?

Chris Willis has been a member here for over two and a half years. For awhile now, we've exchanged emails back-and-forth, and he's been quietly encouraging me to get into Posh and try the crabcakes. I've gone - or attempted to go - several times recently: Once I was thwarted by parking, another time because it wasn't open, and yet a third time when I found myself in the area, but just felt a little underdressed because I was in jeans.

"Order the crabcakes and the tenderloin," he once told me. "I guarantee you'll like them. I'll buy you the crabcakes if you don't."

I wonder - aloud, rhetorically - if part of me was avoiding Posh because I didn't want to NOT like his crabcakes.

Regardless, after numerous halfhearted attempts, I had dinner at Posh last night. My young dining companion and I split the crabcake entree ($25) as an appetizer, and Chris will be pleased to know that he backed up his words. Two big, meaty, lump-filled cakes stuffed with Gulf crab, perfectly fried, and served with a cone of truffled fries - these are right up there with the best crabcakes in the area (pick your favorite - Bobby's, Kinkead's, Faidley's, whatever), and at $25, are a pretty amazing value considering this is a fancy dinner club right in the middle of downtown DC. Posh also has a three-course prix-fixe for $29.95, and you can get the crabcakes as the entree, so if you go this route, it becomes ridiculously inexpensive: To find a dish like this on a Restaurant-Week-priced menu doesn't happen very often, not even during Restaurant Week.

As good as these crabcakes were, we all know why I went to Posh last night. But before I get to the meat of the matter, let me take a moment to trash Posh's beer and wine program. For me to order a Heineken with my meal is an act of desperation, and once you see what Posh offers to drink, you'll understand why I was desperate. Fortunately, the impossibly bad selection was more than counterbalanced by the service, which was wonderfully gracious and pleasant.

I think Posh gets a bad rap for having opened as a "club," and yes, it does have some of that club atmosphere, complete with a touch of disco-thump, but the room is huge, and absorbs much of the sound, so conversation at the well-spaced tables is easy. If you don't mind a touch of club in your interior, it's really a lovely dining room. Don't be scared off by preconceived notions of Posh. It's an inexpensive restaurant, with a rock-solid chef at the helm (try his seared scallops sometime, also his cast-iron cornbread).

Ah, yes, the chicken. It's as good as advertised, and it's as good as Bon Chon. Need I say more? 16 pieces, mixed drumsticks and wings, mixed hot-spicy and soy-garlic, for $17.95. You definitely want to order the 16-piece combo, because the 8-piece orders are a relatively expensive $11.95. We took some home, and they were even better late last night when they were refrigerator-cold. About five minutes ago, my final piece was better still as it had warmed up to room temperature.

This chicken could easily be the savior of Posh, and if it's marketed correctly, could turn out to be one of the most shrewd, lucrative moves I've seen a restaurant make in ages. I thought the combination of PX and Eamonn's was super-weird, but the combination of Posh and Mad for Chicken is weirder still. Currently, the chicken is available to go Wednesday-Friday from 12-4 and 6-9 PM. (Click here for details.)

Once this gets going, I have some recommendations: Serve the chicken all day long, and serve it until 2 AM (or however long you're open). Arrange a "$20 cash-and-carry" special with your valets, so drivers can pull up, hand the valet a $20 bill, get their chicken, and be on their way. No parking, no change, no hassle. If Posh can pull something like this off, they'll have a gold mine on their hands.

Cheers,

Rocks.

[Editor's note: I'm going to merge this thread into the regular Posh thread later today or tomorrow, because unlike (for example) Tomatillo Taqueria and Big Hunt, where the Tacos aren't available inside the restaurant, this chicken IS available on Posh's regular menu. The algorithm for thread determination is complex, and I won't go into details, but this is how it works out in this instance.]

What is in it that would require FDA examination?

I am glad you asked that, I was wondering the same thing.

Perhaps "it has passed three thorough examinations from the FDA and USDA" might have been a requirement to backup the following claim: "our sauce brings health benefits"?

How much is a to go order at lunch?

and you might want to copy edit your "friend" chicken. (line 5)

And your website says the Soy Garlic Sauce "brings health benefits". Sounds like great chicken and I'm definitely going to try it, but the marketing sounds ala the Kentucky Fried Chicken commercial of 2003. Wish I could find the video, one of the all time best.

To all those poking fun at the webpage, it reads to me like it's a straight cut-and-paste from Mad for Chicken's corporate spiel, which is probably poorly translated from Korean.

ETA Yep.

Edited by DonRocks

To all those poking fun at the webpage, it reads to me like it's a straight cut-and-paste from Mad for Chicken's corporate spiel, which is probably poorly translated from Korean.

ETA Yep.

Yes, I had noticed the same thing.

Still doesn't answer the FDA/USDA inspections question, though. Perhaps just a translation error, but would be good to know.

(to serve man)

(comes to mind)

(for some reason)

Yes, I had noticed the same thing.

Still doesn't answer the FDA/USDA inspections question, though. Perhaps just a translation error, but would be good to know.

(to serve man)

(comes to mind)

(for some reason)

When I was in training for this I asked the guy. He said he had to pass it through FDA because of the different fruit juices he uses for the sauces, which some comes from other countries. When anything comes from other countries our government has to inspect it and put the ole stamp of approval.

I ordered the 16 piece for lunch for take-out. Because I didn't read this post carefully, I went in thinking I was going to get 16 pieces of "fried chicken". Nope, it's all wings and drumsticks (as Don says above). So, I was a bit disappointed in my (off-base) expectations, and still think they should be called "wings" instead of "fried chicken" or "chicken".

Once I started eating them, though, I was impressed. Juicy inside, very very crispy outside. So crispy, that at first I thought they had used an extraordinary amount of breading (which led to a minor bout of disappointment again). Nope, the soy glaze and the double frying create a nice crisp.

My entire order was "mild" (read: very mild), so be sure to specify whether you want it spicy. I was under the impression it would a mix of temperatures, but I understand why they gave me all mild.

I ordered the 16 piece... Juicy inside, very very crispy outside... My entire order was "mild" (read: very mild)

I had Mad For Chicken for dinner last night, and my experience mirrored DaRiva18. The excellent texture was unique in my experience, but I've never been to Bon Chon. We even reheated the large, meaty wings and drumsticks (they are what I think of as an order of wings, not a bucket of chicken) at 350 convection and the texture seemed unaffected.

The seasoning was so mild that we whipped up a little homemade wing sauce by diluting some korean red pepper paste with rice wine vinegar and mirin until it was soupy enough to pour. That worked, but I'm sure Posh will outdo our homebrew if we specify "spicy" on their simple online order form.

Don is right -- if they figure out an efficient delivery mechanism and market it appropriately, they are going to move a lot of chicken.

My entire order was "mild" (read: very mild), so be sure to specify whether you want it spicy.

The seasoning was so mild that we whipped up a little homemade wing sauce by diluting some korean red pepper paste with rice wine vinegar and mirin until it was soupy enough to pour. That worked, but I'm sure Posh will outdo our homebrew if we specify "spicy" on their simple online order form. .

FWIW, it was very difficult to visually distinguish between "mild" and "spicy" in our mixed order (especially once we got it to go and it was mixed together), but whenever Matt got a spicy piece, he couldn't eat it. I thought there was definite heat from red chili, but didn't think the spicy pieces were that spicy (many children have a sensitive palate, not having yet been exposed to the evils of Vindaloo, Scotch Bonnet Peppers, or the dreaded and elusive bhut jolokia).

Cheers,

Rocks.

FWIW, it was very difficult to visually distinguish between "mild" and "spicy" in our mixed order (especially once we got it to go and it was mixed together), but whenever Matt got a spicy piece, he couldn't eat it. I thought there was definite heat from red chili, but didn't think the spicy pieces were that spicy (many children have a sensitive palate, not having yet been exposed to the evils of Vindaloo, Scotch Bonnet Peppers, or the dreaded and elusive bhut jolokia).

Cheers,

Rocks.

If you want it spicy we can coat it thicker, but I have to tell you that its pretty hot even for my taste buds.. So when you order online or call ahead please write in the special instructions that you want it hot or even extra hot. Now I'm off to cook some wings..enjoy :(

Thanks

I can not possibly explain how excited I am about this! And, Jlock and little Miss. V seem to be even more so. Jlock's excitement was dampened only by the realization that, due to other plans, we will have to wait until Friday to try it. I don't know if it will be possible for us to wait that long!

Edited to fix typo.

[10 out of 20 posts have been from people who had not yet tried the chicken.

7 out of 11 posters have been people who have not yet tried the chicken.

While I understand this will change in the future, let's try and keep it a bit more substantive for the time being, okay? Okay!

I do think everyone is in for a treat.]

When you order the 16 mixed pack, I really think it is important to specify:

1) how many hot vs. how many soy garlic

2) how many wings vs. how many drumsticks

I advise equal amounts of both for the full monty (Chris, must you go half-and-half?)

And I must advise getting the 16-pack vis-a-vis the 8-pack - it's a much, much better value.

Chris, you did mention trace amounts of MSG to me - was that in the soy sauce? Just fact-checking here. I think it's important to get full disclosure out to everyone since this was initially billed as 100% MSG free. You have a product to be proud of, and nothing to hide.

Cheers,

Rocks.

(*) Note: I will merge into the regular Posh thread soon. All, don't forget about the crabcakes at Posh - they'll pretty much blow you away. The crabcakes I had on Sunday night were the same price, and absolutely paled in comparison (details on that restaurant's thread).

[10 out of 20 posts have been from people who had not yet tried the chicken.

7 out of 11 posters have been people who have not yet tried the chicken.

While I understand this will change in the future, let's try and keep it a bit more substantive for the time being, okay? Okay!

I do think everyone is in for a treat.]

When you order the 16 mixed pack, I really think it is important to specify:

1) how many hot vs. how many soy garlic

2) how many wings vs. how many drumsticks

I advise equal amounts of both for the full monty (Chris, must you go half-and-half?)

And I must advise getting the 16-pack vis-a-vis the 8-pack - it's a much, much better value.

Chris, you did mention trace amounts of MSG to me - was that in the soy sauce? Just fact-checking here. I think it's important to get full disclosure out to everyone since this was initially billed as 100% MSG free. You have a product to be proud of, and nothing to hide.

Cheers,

Rocks.

(*) Note: I will merge into the regular Posh thread soon. All, don't forget about the crabcakes at Posh - they'll pretty much blow you away. The crabcakes I had on Sunday night were the same price, and absolutely paled in comparison (details on that restaurant's thread).

yes there is a small trace of msg in the soy sauce but very small. Also when you order spicy I have a garnish that is put on top of the chicken to let you know that it is hot.

Today I decided to give these wings a try, I ordered 16 spicy wings and waited until my allotted time for pick-up. I hopped on the Metro and made great time getting from the third circle of culinary hell known as Union Station to Posh, actually too good of time since I had to wait for my order to be ready, but it was ready right on time.

I often find that when I get carry out and take it back to my office it is usually in a less than ideal state when I arrive, this is especially true for fried foods. So right at 12:30 Mr. Willis and accompanied the front of the house gentlemen to the front of the restaurant with my box of wings. As I headed back to the Metro with the box of steaming wings, I pressed against one and found to my disappointment that it was already soft, and while the sauce that I licked off of my finger was good, it seemed a bit one-dimensional – mostly heat nothing else. It was another 20 minutes before I finally got back to my desk with the box of chicken wings and a cold bottle of Coke (really I don’t care if it is mostly high fructose corn syrup I am still made for the stuff).

Much to my surprise the wings had actually become more crispy during the journey back to my office. This was a wonderful crispiness that no amount of breading or batter can produce, it is what can only be produced by perfectly frying skin (think Peking Duck crispy as opposed to fried chicken crunchy). My first taste was not exactly wrong, but what I thought was sauce seemed to meld with the skin and become far more complex. The heat was not overpowering, but was of the nature that builds with each bite, I found that it was easily tamped down with a bit of Atlanta’s best sugar water just to build again. Even though they certainly did not need it, in some perverse way, I really wanted some blue cheese dressing to go with these.

One note on the room, dark with only the front of the house gentleman and a delivery guy occupying the space, it still looked noisy. Yeah I know, how does something look noisy? Maybe it was just my active imagination picturing young hipsters loudly swilling crapatini’s while whooping it up on the second floor – hopefully this impression is completely off base.

We are only a pickup and carry out during the day. We are open at 6pm so you can come in and sit and eat at the bar or dinner table. The atmosphere is dark because we are a dinner club, during the week we feature entertainment- kareoke, live jazz, and live performances. I do have a Gorgonzola dressing if you want it next time also.

This chicken is even better and crispier the following day but you have to keep it in the to go container that is given to you, because of the air.

Being too excited to wait any longer, we rearranged our plans to fit these in for dinner tonight. They were very good. We will have them again. Probably with a great deal of frequency. But, I think that we would have been much happier if they had not been compared to Bon Chon Chicken: These are buffalo wings. Good yes, but not Bon Chon Chicken (AKA "chicken crack"). I think that they are most like (and superior to) the double-dipped wings at Old Ebbitt Grill.

At first, I was really missing some sort of vinegared vegetable to counter the spice of the spicy wings (they were perfectly spicy), as is served at Bon Chon. Then, I was a bit upset about the lack of a candied crust. Again, don't get me wrong, the chicken was sufficiently, if not extraordinarily, crispy for buffalo wings; it just wasn't Bon Chon crispy. Additionally, the wings were a good size for chicken wings, but not nearly as meaty as Bon Chon. The spice was good, but neither type had quite as many layers of flavors as Bon Chon. Basically, it wasn't Bon Chon and shouldn't be compared to Bon Chon (which I will still travel an hour in traffic to wait an additional hour with a toddler for chicken that will make us call all our relatives, even those that don't live anywhere near here, to make sure that they know about the chicken that we just ate).

Please understand, these are some very good chicken wings. As I said before, I will be getting them again. In hopes of maximizing the flavor and crispness, I picked them up a few hours early and kept them in my office while my co-workers and I drooled at the amazing smells and I kicked myself for not getting more to share. Finally, a friend relented, and she and her husband picked up their own box. As a recent transplant from upstate New York with a good palate and a lot of experience, her conclusion that they were great buffalo wings seemed right on. As such, please include some blue cheese with them; we will be back!

Being too excited to wait any longer, we rearranged our plans to fit these in for dinner tonight. They were very good. We will have them again. Probably with a great deal of frequency. But, I think that we would have been much happier if they had not been compared to Bon Chon Chicken: These are buffalo wings. Good yes, but not Bon Chon Chicken (AKA "chicken crack"). I think that they are most like (and superior to) the double-dipped wings at Old Ebbitt Grill.

At first, I was really missing some sort of vinegared vegetable to counter the spice of the spicy wings (they were perfectly spicy), as is served at Bon Chon. Then, I was a bit upset about the lack of a candied crust. Again, don't get me wrong, the chicken was sufficiently, if not extraordinarily, crispy for buffalo wings; it just wasn't Bon Chon crispy. Additionally, the wings were a good size for chicken wings, but not nearly as meaty as Bon Chon. The spice was good, but neither type had quite as many layers of flavors as Bon Chon. Basically, it wasn't Bon Chon and shouldn't be compared to Bon Chon (which I will still travel an hour in traffic to wait an additional hour with a toddler for chicken that will make us call all our relatives, even those that don't live anywhere near here, to make sure that they know about the chicken that we just ate).

Please understand, these are some very good chicken wings. As I said before, I will be getting them again. In hopes of maximizing the flavor and crispness, I picked them up a few hours early and kept them in my office while my co-workers and I drooled at the amazing smells and I kicked myself for not getting more to share. Finally, a friend relented, and she and her husband picked up their own box. As a recent transplant from upstate New York with a good palate and a lot of experience, her conclusion that they were great buffalo wings seemed right on. As such, please include some blue cheese with them; we will be back!

I actually DID wait an hour in traffic to order these tonight. And these are (I deeply suspect, but cannot confirm) "Super-Wok'd," just like they are at Bon Chon. I would not call these "buffalo wings" - this is Korean Fried Chicken.

How are they? I have no idea. The unopened carton is sitting on my dining room table.

The chicken we just ate was on par with Bon Chon! This box was vastly superior to our first. We repeated the same order, except this time we ate it soon after it went through one brisk 10 minute period in the freezing cold (as Jlock walked home). The chicken was still warm but the skin was perfectly crispy. The drums were much larger than previously, more Bon Chon than chicken wings. I don't know if it was the size of the drums or something else about the cooking method that had changed, but the drums in this box were not only bigger, but also better than those in our first box. In the first box, we liked the wings more than the drums, finding the drums a bit dry. This time, we fought over the drums, but then again didn't really mind losing as the wings were so good as well; there was nothing dry about this chicken. As Jlock just commented to me, this chicken is worthy of the title "chicken crack."

I want this business to work so badly, and there are a few things that I would love to see in order for it to do so. First, I still think that the addition of a simple, contrasting condiment would be really beneficial. I made a super-fast cucumber salad of just diced cucumber, salt, and vinegar that we snacked on between pieces, and it really made us feel that it was a more "healthy" and refreshing experience. Additionally, it was really helpful with regard to the spicy pieces, as I can't imagine anyone questioning the heat in this batch. Second, I hope that this is a first step in an expanding enterprise. I would love to see it continue exactly as is for the next couple months as the kinks are worked out, and then for it to get some publicity, a sign and its own thread here. This has some huge potential!

The crab cake I just ate from Posh was the best that I have had since I was a child sitting by the dock at my grandparents' house on the banks of the Wye River. Seriously, it was perfect!

I am often fearful of ordering crab cakes as I like them completely traditional. So many places that claim to have good cakes add extraneous ingredients or have too much/too little filler.. These were perfect. Moist, simple, crabby, and lightly seasoned. Much better than Narrows, G and M, and any other of the well-heralded versions that I have tried in restaurants throughout the area. Just like my grandmommy used to make!

The crabcakes at Posh top those at the Narrows and every other restaurant crabcake that I have tried. They are absolutely perfect renditions of the classic dish from my childhood.

Just wait.. I am in the process of Building a smoker and I will be smoking pork and ribs and frying crab cakes this summer on my days off.. if anyone is interested in catered events just shoot me an email.. :angry:

Posh closed today - got the following email. Damn, I didn't get to try the chicken.

To All of our Valued Patrons,

It is with deep regret that we must inform you that Posh Restaurant & Supper Club will be closing its doors effective today February 22, 2010.

Over the years, we have had the pleasure of entertaining patrons from all around the world with jazz music, karaoke, and the music of DC’s best local DJ's, Bands and Performer's. We have been host to hundreds of events from bachelorette parties to movie premieres to company gatherings.

It has been an honor to be a part of these important events providing savory American cuisine and entertainment. We are also extremely proud of having been named Diner’s Choice Winner by Opentable in 2009.

We thank you, our staff, and all of the people of DC, Virginia, & Maryland who made this award possible. As our patron, you have made our experience at Posh a memorable one and we hope we have done the same for you.

Sincerely,

Posh Management

Posh closed today - got the following email. Damn, I didn't get to try the chicken.

To All of our Valued Patrons,

It is with deep regret that we must inform you that Posh Restaurant & Supper Club will be closing its doors effective today February 22, 2010.

Over the years, we have had the pleasure of entertaining patrons from all around the world with jazz music, karaoke, and the music of DC’s best local DJ's, Bands and Performer's. We have been host to hundreds of events from bachelorette parties to movie premieres to company gatherings.

It has been an honor to be a part of these important events providing savory American cuisine and entertainment. We are also extremely proud of having been named Diner’s Choice Winner by Opentable in 2009.

We thank you, our staff, and all of the people of DC, Virginia, & Maryland who made this award possible. As our patron, you have made our experience at Posh a memorable one and we hope we have done the same for you.

Sincerely,

Posh Management

The Mad for Chicken may Pop up somewhere???I will let you know... ;)

I hope you and the rest of the staff are able to land softly. Upon notifying one of my coworkers of the sad news he replied:

First I had to deal with the seasons of the Washington Redskins & the Wizards, now this. What next? Go ahead and shoot me now! The best wings hands down I’ve ever had. Please keep me posted on the chef. I’d follow him into a burning building as long as he could produce a 16pc wing combo.

There is hope for those in desperate need of a Mad for Chicken fix.

And the original chicken prepared by Bon Chon is always available on Little River Turnpike in Annandale and Cheogajip chicken is on Evergreen Avenue in Annandale as well. Finding Korean Fried Chicken is not a problem though MFC's version might be (even though I'm willing to bet 99 out of 100 people couldn't tell the difference).

And the original chicken prepared by Bon Chon is always available on Little River Turnpike in Annandale and Cheogajip chicken is on Evergreen Avenue in Annandale as well. Finding Korean Fried Chicken is not a problem though MFC's version might be (even though I'm willing to bet 99 out of 100 people couldn't tell the difference).

They were (or are) different enough to tell the difference.