Winter Weekday Markets?

Hello all,

We at NMF are discussing plans for the winter and are considering a few options outside of our standard two weekend markets for the winter months (Sundays at Dupont through March, Saturdays at the Sheridan School through March!). We are harvesting a LOT of winter storage crops (literally tons of carrots) and of course, can source more variety from the cooperative, including organic citrus.

I was hoping to get some thoughts from people about shopping at markets during the winter time--how many of you regularly shop at a market during the winter? How many of you shop at a WEEKDAY market during the summer, and would you shop at a weekday market during the winter, provided it had our normal standard of produce offerings (quality and variety)?

I was also wondering, in general, about markets that aren't weekly -- maybe biweekly or monthly. Would that be too difficult to work into a schedule or would regular reminders about the dates keep you coming out regularly??

I'd love to hear from you, either in response to this post or in a PM.

Thanks so much!

Emily

I shop at Dupont weekly throughout the winter, and have been doing so since the first winter it was open ('02? '03?) and we lived on kale, collards, and apples. I typically buy 70-90% of our produce and at least half our meat at Dupont.

I very very occasionally shop weekday markets (Foggy Bottom, usually, although today for the first time I went to the WH). I'm not a regular weekday market shopper because (1) I have to fit a trip to the market into my work schedule, and often things just come up, and (2) I have to get everything home on metro and sometimes also a bus.

I would not be likely to shop regularly at a less-than-weekly market. I will buy carrots all winter long, though. :)

During the Winter months, I buy from Star Hollow Farms. This is a hybrid kind of CSA in that I pay up front and every two weeks order whatever I want that's on offer that particular week online. This is how I manage to buy farm fresh eggs all through the year. Randy, the farmer, comes down from Pennsylvania every two weeks during the winter with our orders and is in Adams Morgan every Saturday during late Spring through late Fall at the regular Farmers' Market.

BTW: Randy originally took over from NMF (or was an employee--don't remember) on Saturdays in Adams Morgan. You probably know who I'm referring to.

Ah yes, Randy is one of our neighbors and part of the cooperative.

The hybrid CSA model is a very interesting model -- we know several farms doing this and it seems to work out really well for everyone involved.

I had one of our new carrots last night and they are beautiful and SO tasty. Will be a great winter for all things carrot!

Ah yes, Randy is one of our neighbors and part of the cooperative.

The hybrid CSA model is a very interesting model -- we know several farms doing this and it seems to work out really well for everyone involved.

I had one of our new carrots last night and they are beautiful and SO tasty. Will be a great winter for all things carrot!

BTW: You asked about going to weekday markets. During the usual market season, I try to get to the Penn Quarter market on Thursday afternoons. And, of course, hit Randy up every Saturday. Both of these markets are very easy for me to get to, either because they are just up the street from me (Randy) or by public transportation (PQ). I will occasionally go to the Mt. Pleasant market or the 14th & U Sts. market--also directly on bus lines--for specialty items. Because of these markets, I never manage to get myself down to Dupont Circle on Sunday mornings; nor is the Sheridan School very easy for me to access by public transit.

I like Randy's CSA hybrid model because I can just buy exactly what I need, instead of getting a mystery box containing things I my not be able to use. I cook only for two, and have a small fridge, so greatly appreciate the option he offers. How that exactly works out for him, I don't know. I'll bet he'd be glad to tell you all about it.

In conclusion to this thread, we decided to continue going down to the Watkins School through November and perhaps into the winter, with a twist - -we are going now on Saturday mornings instead of Wednesday afternoons. So come find us there Saturdays, 9 am - 1 pm! We're bringing our regular selection of produce plus breads, cheeses and baked goods!