Thai X-ing, Owner Taw Vigsittaboot's Thai on 5th Street and Florida Avenue in LeDroit Park, and 9th and V Street in Shaw

I had a really disappointing meal with three friends at Thai X-ing last night.  I'd been a fan from multiple previous meals, but hadn't been back in over a year. It's nice that the reservation system has evolved from leaving a voicemail to online reservations, and BYOB is great, but I didn't find much else to recommend.  I was fine dealing with inattentive service and cramped dining rooms -- our drop leaf table for four was so small that we were all sitting with a table leg between our legs -- when the food was excellent, but this meal didn't provide sufficient consolation.

Everything was much more bland and less spicy than I remembered.  The vegetable soup starter barely tasted Thai; it mostly tasted of mushy celery and potatoes, with some ginger.  Salmon was somewhat dry and coated in a very sweet sauce.  The pumpkin in the curry that I'd loved on every prior visit was just okay, and the pumpkin itself wasn't cooked at soft as I would have preferred.  The green papaya salad and pad see ew were the best dishes, but even they didn't taste out of the ordinary, like what you could get delivered from a decent local Thai place.

I don't know if this was an off night or it's really gone downhill, but I'm unlikely to go back to find out.  I'd rather keep returning to Little Serow, which provides excellent service, a great beverage program, and fantastic, more interesting food at a price comparable to Thai X-ing's large group/weekend pricing.

We enjoyed just about everything served here a few weeks ago, especially the pumpkin curry, soup, and fish dishes.  Corkage was a bonus.

What may keep me from coming back, however, is the pacing of the courses.  I know they're looking to turn the table every couple of hours, but in order to eat everything before it got cold, we basically had to scarf down a TON of food in about 55 minutes.  And I left feeling a bit queasy.  Obviously, it was my choice to try and finish everything.  But one would think there has to be a better way for them to pull this off.

I've visited (old location) twice, and not really interested in going back. Both times we were at a 4-top that really should have been for 2 people, especially when nearly all of the food dropped in a 15-minute window.

Both times, from walking in the door to walking out, was under an hour. And there was no real service during that hour - no water refills, and when a fork was dropped we had to go find another ourselves.

My main complaint on my one visit to the original location was the pacing, too. (Three people finishing in just over an hour.) To be fair, though, I also felt a little rushed on my two visits to Little Serow, and I left there still hungry. After Thai X-ing, I was very full. And although the food wasn't as memorable as Little Serow, I thought all of Thai X-ing's dishes were good, especially the pumpkin curry.

• Like 1

Has anyone tried Thai Xing? The menu looks intriguing. I love little Serow, and this looks similar (?)

Unless Thai-X-ing has changed drastically, I don't think of the two as being similar. Others will chime in with more current information.