Birthday Dinner on a Saturday Night Mid-January 2015

Choirgirl21

Contemplating a quick overnight trip to NYC to celebrate my birthday mid-January. I did this once before and enjoyed an amazing multi-course lunch at Le Berdardin and another great meal at Momofuku Ssam the following day.

Specifically looking for a new place for dinner on a Saturday night, moderately priced (i.e. not Per Se or even Le Bernardin prices, but doesn't have to be cheap). Something with a focus on locally sourced food. Aside from that and price, not many constraints (although I'd probably prefer to not do Italian since I try not to eat much in the way of grains).

Also would love suggestions for the rest of the trip. Maybe a quick, lighter bite on Saturday and a lunch place on Sunday or vice versa (also trying to work in a showing of Constellations, but haven't figured out the best schedule for all of this yet!).

Thanks!

I just had a great dinner at Recette in the West Village. It's very casual and not that expensive (the a la carte small plates are fairly big).

We went to Recette a couple years ago and the food was absolutely wonderful. The only downside was the cramped the interior -- granted we probably had the worst table in the house. But the food, oh my!