Burbs Person Going To Venture Downtown For Xmas Cheer

flygirl

Good morning

It's been ages since I've posted or read anything here.  Probably all of two of you remember me.  The two I am dining with tomorrow, for brunch, that is!

Anyway.  I live out in BFE and have decided I need to do an urban wander one day soon.  Midweek or weekend, no matter.

I plan to avoid the National Tree like the plague.  I want to dig into an interesting neighborhood.  See some lights (if it's after dark) or at least some Xmas displays or an open house, have a pleasant meal that won't break the bank (and something I can actually walk around afterwards - IE not heavy food and probably only one glass of wine), and possibly a good cup of coffee or hot chocolate mid-wander.  Window shopping too.

It would be either before/after lunch or before/after dinner - I will probably last about four hours of wandering.

I do know about the National Zoo so that may happen (would be an evening thing, then).  I also know about Logan Circle's open house tomorrow - perhaps after brunch with a few fellow DR peeps.

Or not.  Something else, this week.  Unclear.  Help?  (and if you did choose the National Zoo, where would you stop by for some food?)

Muchas Gracias!

If you go to the Zoo your best bets nearby are Ripple and Ardeo Bardeo just up the street in Cleveland Park. With Ripple being the better choice. Both places can get pricey quick, not sure what your definition for bank breaking is...Ripple's happy hour has half price wine by the glass at the bar, and they also have an early dinner special if you wanted to do an early dinner followed by Zoo Lights. Check their website.

It's been ages since I've posted or read anything here.  Probably all of two of you remember me.

I remember you. :)

If you want to park and not get back in the car, I vote for parking around Connecticut Avenue and Belmont Road, ambling around the Kalorama Circle neighborhood, and dining at New Heights (walking across the Taft Bridge), Cashion's, or Mintwood Place (walking either across the Taft Bridge, or in the neighborhood south of Calvert Street). This is close enough to the National Zoo where you could do that, too, if you want to head straight up Connecticut Avenue. To get there, you can shoot up Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway, take a right on the Calvert Road exit, then an immediate right on Connecticut Avenue and you'll be on the Taft Bridge. Plus, if you want to fit in a little nature, you'll be right at Rock Creek Park and the south end of the zoo (just avoid the Hell Walk through the tunnel).