Celebratory Meal

JMiller

Hi everyone,

I posted last week about dinner around GMU's campus in Fairfax before graduation. Thanks for everyone's help on that one.

Now, I'm planning dinner in DC (or VA) for the next night. Without a need to be anywhere, we can go pretty much anywhere, and the budget is extremely flexible (no Inn at Little Washington or Citronelle, but otherwise, it's limited only by the guilt I'll feel when my parents get the bill).

During Restaurant Weeks of the past couple of years, I've eaten at most of the area's big name restaurants, but I rarely go there when I have to pay full price. There will be 6-8 people, including an 82 year old who will eat most things, but will probably prefer to avoid the extremes of ethnicity (eg 4 sisters).

I've taken family to Galileo and DC Coast, and didn't really like either meal, so I feel somewhat pressured to have a good time (I felt the food was only okay, and not worth the price tags).

We aren't big wine drinkers, so no need for a good wine list.

Without listing everyone I've been, here are some places I've eaten at (during RW) but am thinking of going back to:
Ceiba: liked the meal during RW.
Occidentale: LOVED the meal during RW, but their non-RW prices are questionable.

These places I haven't tried (except for Palena's Cafe), but have been on my (too fancy for anything except a special occassion) list for a while:
Palena
Taberna Del Alabardero
Restaurant Eve
Acadiana

Some of these are pretty expensive too, so if people can suggest places equally good without the unfortunate price tag, that would work.

This is kind of haphazard, because there are so many restaurants to choose from. Please don't limit yourself to those I've listed.

I'll also pre-emptively say no to the following:
1789: I don't want to make people get all dressed up.
Tabard Inn: we're going for brunch Sunday.
Palena Cafe: they don't take reservations, i've been there, and someone would order the chicken and my 82 yr old grandfather probably wouldn't want to sit around for 45 minutes waiting for it.
Corduroy: been there, but wasn't blown away enough to go back.

Thanks

Josh

Right now, I'm leaning towards Eve. 1st, we're having Tabard Inn for breakfast the next day, which (iirc) has a southern feeling too (like Palette), and 2nd, i've never been a huge fan of hotel-restaurants. It always feels a little odd to me.. like they're catering to a captive audience, so it won't be as good as place that is _only_ a restaurant.

I'll wait until after the lunch rush at the restaurant (and for more replies), then call for a reservation.

I appreciate the posts, and I'll keep everyone posted with the final decision and the results of the meal.

Josh

Oops. Eve is fully booked that night (both the Bistro and Tasting Room). That's what I get for waiting so long on a busy weekend - but I figured that no one in DC ever goes to Virginia, so I'd be safe.

Palette is booked as well (according to OpenTable).

I have a table booked at Corduroy, but I think I'd rather try some place new. Anyone want to throw out some more ideas?

(Serves me right for waiting to the last minute)

Whatever you do, move your bottom fast! It's two weeks away and we are already fully booked, and I imagine other places aren't much better.

Good point - I've got the table at Corduroy, and that's what I'll go with. I've only been there once, for RW, so this will be a fresh look at it. Eve is going to the top of the list though.

Thanks everyone for your help! I'll post with how the meal goes.

Josh

The 6 of us had an excellent dinner at Corduroy Saturday night. Several people had the excellent softshell crab appetizer (the same as the entree I believe, but only 1 crab). I started with the red snapper bisque, because I had heard Chef Powers makes an excellent soup.

I think of the 6 of us, we only went through a couple of unique dishes: the bisque, soft shell crabs (either appetizer or entree portion), the lamb, and the steak. It was a couple of days ago and I didn't take any notes, so that's the best I can do.

But, thanks to everyone who encouraged me to go here. Everyone liked it, and it earned a coveted spot on my mom's "This is one of my favorite places" list.

Josh

But, thanks to everyone who encouraged me to go here. Everyone liked it, and it earned a coveted spot on my mom's "This is one of my favorite places" list.

I find it hard to imagine dining at Corduroy and not putting it on one's list of favorite places.

I'd go to Palena. Another look at Corduroy is a good suggestion, too.

I know I am in the distinct monority here, but I do not think Restaurant Eve lives up to the hype. Granted, I have only dined there once in the tasting room zone.

Actually, you'll probably have to scratch Palena off of your list come to think of it. The biggest reservation they take is for 6, IIRC. I'd call to be sure, though.

My brother got married. It was a very low key thing and he just called me tonight about it. It is so, so, so awesome. He and his partner are just perfect for each other. It is a great day!

So my wife and I want to take them out for a really nice dinner. But, to treat the experience properly, without making too much of a fuss about the whole thing, it must be a place with some criteria in mind. And that is why I must ask for some expert help, here where I know I will get it.

So, one of them is (mostly) vegetarian (though some fishy things are ok, but not certain normally veg friendly things (like mushrooms)). So this kind of rules out high end steak places. The other is an adventurous eater and will eat more or less anything. One thing that would be so, so their style, is finding a place with really excellent service. Think Daniel of NYC in DC. Maybe with a hint of Aulde School, but just a hint. Tasting menus are....ok, but I think Mr. Veg would prefer having some choice, so that would be preferable, though a place with a veg (and regular) tasting menu would be fine, but only at places where it shines.

We would have taken them to home, er, Palena, but it is gone, and Frank's new gig is unknown, and possibly not quite ready. Citizen would have been great, but it is now gone. One idea was Marcel's, which fits the bill quite nicely. I've thought of The Inn at Little Washington, which I think would nail lit, but it is way out there (and the drive home after libations), and I am to sure how expensive it has gotten  (probably north of $200 a head before tax and tip and wine, high?). Tis might be really nice, but I found their service a smidge on the a bit too casual side. Corduroy might be in the running. My one Restaurant Eve experience was OK, but that was years ago and I found it too museum like and it felt weird to try to have a proper conversation without bugging the people at tables right next to you (they were spaced extremely closely before).  A nicely located table, or perhaps a bankette (no idea how you spell that) or spacious booth with a good view of the space or room would be bonus.  I would love to take them to Fischaterria Toscana in Venice with Roberto taking care of us table side, but alas, they do not travel, and I am not independently wealthy.

So.....suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Marcel's came to mind immediately as well given the flexibility of their multi-course menus. I just had an incredible meal there and think the service can't be beat. Restaurant Eve is the only other place in the city where I've had a similarly good experience (I also loved Rogue 24 but that won't work in this situation).

Given that they will eat fish, you might consider Fishnook at the Shaw Fishnet location. It would be more casual than what you're considering, there are no fancy outlandish wine lists, but it's a unique, fun and personal experience and the food is really good.

Congratulations to your brother and his new partner! :)

Oh, I forgot Beuchert's. Again, not going to be a fine dining experience, but the tasting menu at the bar seats 4, you're watching the chef prepare your food and interacting and the cool thing about Beuchert's is that you can dictate what he cooks, as few or as many restrictions as you like. So you could easily ask for a pescetarian menu with no mushrooms, etc. He also sources his food locally as much as possible, if that's your thing. :)

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot Beuchert's. Again, not going to be a fine dining experience, but the tasting menu at the bar seats 4, you're watching the chef prepare your food and interacting and the cool thing about Beuchert's is that you can dictate what he cooks, as few or as many restrictions as you like. So you could easily ask for a pescetarian menu with no mushrooms, etc. He also sources his food locally as much as possible, if that's your thing. :)

Blacksalt, too, though I haven't been in awhile now.

You know, I've had some things at the hand of Jeff Heineman at Grapeseed that pretty much blew me away. If he's willing to cook for you, it might be a great idea.

"A good lawyer knows the law; a great lawyer knows the judge." It's the same thing with restaurants.

We would have taken them to home, er, Palena, but it is gone, and Frank's new gig is unknown, and possibly not quite ready. ...

I should probably put this on the Grille Room thread but I talked with Chef Ruta recently and he told me he expects to have the menu restructured in his own way by March so don't expect too much before then. Will take some time.

• Like 1

RJ, Choirgirl24 thinks it won't work in this situation - why do you think it would?

As an aside, Rogue 24 remains consistently underrated amongst people who should know better.

Big agree with the "aside."  I'd like to see Gypsy Soul approach R24s level (adjusting for the obvious differences in menu) but still new so working things out.

RJ, Choirgirl24 thinks it won't work in this situation - why do you think it would?

As an aside, Rogue 24 remains consistently underrated amongst people who should know better.

We (R24) have the ability to create individual menus around dietary and religious dietary restrictions. As well, the service has become genuine and comforting.

Big agree with the "aside."  I'd like to see Gypsy Soul approach R24s level (adjusting for the obvious differences in menu) but still new so working things out.

Service in the suburbs still the arrow in my ass

• Like 1

Washingtonian's comments about recent changes at Inn at Little Washington were pretty negative.  The vegetarian option sounds particularly gruesome.  I was very underwhelmed by my dinner at Blacksalt this week - it was good but it wasn't spectacular.  A recent meal at Fishnook was spectacular.

My recommendations would be Fishnet or Restaurant at Patowmack Farms, if they can accommodate the vegetarians.  Another possibility is Sushi Taro's Omakase.  Rogue 24 is a great experience, but the commitment of eating 16 or 24 intricately crafted courses might be too much unless they really enjoy that sort of thing.

Marcel's or Fiola Mare.  I have not been to Plume but it might be a consideration also.  Is Roberto the ebullient waiter/sommelier at Fischatteria Toscana?  When we went in '09 he was phenominal, one of the best hosts that I have ever found in a restaurant anywhere.  He made the restaurant.  I would also not discount L'auberge Chez Francois where you will find world class waiters and old world ambience.  Souffles are world class and the overall experience still fills their dining room on many nights although most diners start at age 35 or 40.

• Like 1

We went to Fiola Mare for a special anniversary, and the service was stellar and the food outrageously delicious.  The room was lovely, not too loud and tables well-spaced.  And if you go before sunset, you can walk by the water, or ask to sit by the window with water views.  (You can sit there at night, but I don't see the point of water views in the dark. But walking by the water at night was still nice.)

It's my top recommendation for sure, as long as your mostly-vegetarian likes seafood.  There were some good vegetarian dishes as well, and the chef did beautiful things with vegetables.

• Like 1

I, too, recommend Fiola Mare. The food and the service are spot-on, reminiscent of Maestro. The rooms are lovely, the noise level reasonable, and when it's not dark out, the view is lovely. There's a new executive chef with great credentials, but for a special occasion you might ask if Fabio will be there. The menu offers wonderful choices, and the kitchen should have no difficulty adapting to dietary restrictions--they've always done well by me to accommodate my celiac disease.

A little further afield, but not so far as Inn at Little Washington, is Trummer's on Main, in Clifton. The drive is lovely, and the main dining room is, too.  Service is excellent, and the food is, too. There are plenty of good choices for vegetarians as well as omnivores, and again, the kitchen is very accommodating of dietary restrictions. An alum of IALW, Chef Austin Faucett is putting some amazing food on tables at Trummer's. A further benefit is an amazing wine program, with many well-priced wines on the list.

Please do come back and let us know where you end up and how it is!

I only went to Maestro once, and on a whim got the vegetarian tasting menu.  If all chefs treated veg with the respect and creativity Trabocchi does, I could happily be vegetarian.  Get in touch with Maria and see what they can do for you at either Fiola or Fiola Mare.

Also, don't forget Bistro Provence.

I only went to Maestro once, and on a whim got the vegetarian tasting menu.  If all chefs treated veg with the respect and creativity Trabocchi does, I could happily be vegetarian.  Get in touch with Maria and see what they can do for you at either Fiola or Fiola Mare.

A fine idea - why don't you try writing them via fax, and seeing what they can do?