Purple Patch, Filipino and American Comfort Food Replacing Tonic in Mount Pleasant

This place is...fine.  Chicken adobo is decent, sisig at brunch is really good and should be on the dinner menu, most of the rest of the menu is either kinda bland in my experience or uninspired bar food.  The non-brunch drinks program could also use a major lift.

We eat here regularly (mostly sitting at the bar) and really enjoy it. Drinks, food, baseball on tv...

But (you knew this was coming, right?) it makes me insane when places use air fresheners that auto-spray in the bathrooms. And for some reason, the air freshener smell here reaches all the way to the front (from the very back of the place.)

RESTAURANTS - STOP using air freshener!

(Bedrock Billiards is also guilty of this.)

• Like 1

Takeout from Purple Patch tonight - we've done this several times during this mess. It travels well, and I love them, so am happy to support them. Even the lumpia do OK - usually have to pop them in the toaster oven to recrisp, but still tasty.

• Like 2

Takeout again last night - this remains one of our regular takeout spots. Lumpia. Tocino. Chicken adobo. We didn't get wine last night, but the wine is well priced. We just already had enough here. I look forward to eating here again when we can eat out again.

Purple Patch is a neighborhood gem and now also boasts the Butchers Market Mt Pleasant in their basement who are purveying high end cuts of meat and fish and slinging some outrageously good sandwiches - worth a visit 

• Like 2

On 4/20/2021 at 12:58 PM, brr said:

Purple Patch is a neighborhood gem and now also boasts the Butchers Market Mt Pleasant in their basement who are purveying high end cuts of meat and fish and slinging some outrageously good sandwiches - worth a visit 

Those sandwiches had better be outrageously good at $18-22 a pop (significantly more than, e.g., the $14 for Huntley Skinker's delicious concoctions at Reveler's Hour).  They do look yummy, though.

Another Purple Patch takeout night on Friday. I had Calamansi Tofu, he had crab fried rice. Also lumpia, as one must. And salad, but we made that. And while I was in Mt P, picked up Mount Desert Ice Cream. YAY!

• Like 3

Friday night, the return to Purple Patch. IN PERSON! Our usual food group of 4.

OK, outside, not back to the bar, sadly. But we ordered all the things that do not travel well. And it was sooooo good.

Cocktails to start. Frozen drinks that were very tasty, and a very botanical gimlet for the boy. Lumpia and calamansi wings (that come with the delicious papaya salad) for starters. Tocino  sandwich for me (with fries!) More calamansi wings for the boy. One friend tried the burger, and was very happy with it. Fried chicken adobo sandwich for the other. So many fries, and so tasty. It was lovely to get food fresh from the kitchen!

Can't wait until we can sit inside at the bar again. It's one of the bars we really miss.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 12:58 PM, brr said:

I was going to check out Butcher's Market tomorrow but Google says they're permanently closed.  :(

As a result of the pandemic, zoo members have to apply for free parking passes.  The number of free parking passes is very limited - so we had to street park.  I found that free street parking between the zoo and Purple Patch to be plentiful, so that's why we went to Purple Patch for brunch, at 10 am on a Sunday morning.

As it was cloudy, humid but not hot, we sat on the covered patio they constructed on the street in front of the their restaurant.  We ordered a bunch of appetizers, namely (i) lumpia, (ii) lechon kawali, (iii) longanisa fried rice, (iv) ube cinnamon toast, and (v) atchara papaya salad.

First, the atchara papaya salad comes as a side with the lechon.  So you don't need to order it unless you just love that vinegary melange of veggies, including carrots and red pepper.  I ate some just because they're veggies, not because I enjoyed them.  The two favorites were lumpia and fried rice.  The kids especially enjoyed the longanisa (garlic sausage).  I thought the fried rice was flavorful if not a tad oily.  The lechon kawali, being deep fried, was tender but lacked flavor.  Finally, the ube cinnamon toast was 3 slices of bread topped with purple yam and cinnamon.  The flavor was predominantly cinnamon - not sure if I really tasted much ube.

Definitely going back next time we hit the zoo to try other things on the menu.

IMG_5463.jpg

• Like 3

A return to the bar for dinner last Friday. Really, nothing new to report, just that it was lovely to sit at the bar, eat the food fresh from the kitchen, have the delicious cocktails, and enjoy the very good service.

• Like 1

Dinner at the bar Saturday. Took some Christmas treats for our bartenders, had some very delicious cocktails - it was dead dead dead, and they had time to be creative. Lumpia to share. Tocino sandwich for me, sissig for our third, and steak frites for the boy. Then we came home, another friend came over, and we had eggnog and cookies for dessert.

Dinner at the bar Friday. Tasty wings and Brussels sprouts for apps. Pork sandwich for me, tocino with garlic rice for the boy, and adobo sliders for our third. And lots of very delicious cocktails.  I love these folks.

Can't wait until the weather allows us to walk down to Mount Desert Ice Cream after dinner - still no eating inside there, and it was TOO cold for ice cream on the street!