Inventor of Keurig Feels Bad about Destroying the Environment

darkstar965

Of course, absolutely NO problem with how Don likes to tidy titles and the like.  Keeps everything nice and organized.  But boy I liked my title better on this one ("Help John Feel Better About Himself"). This new one is soooo literal!    :D

Questionable humor aside, saving the environment and soothing Sylvan's hurt feelings are two excellent reasons to use the new donrockwell.com Coffee Shop & Roasters forum to find great java out or at home that won't kill the planet, break the budget, cause you to pucker unpleasantly or send Sylvan into a tailspin.  Cheap plug?  You betcha.   :)

• Like 1

Of course, absolutely NO problem with how Don likes to tidy titles and the like.  Keeps everything nice and organized.  But boy I liked my title better on this one ("Help John Feel Better About Himself"). This new one is soooo literal!    :D

Questionable humor aside, saving the environment and soothing Sylvan's hurt feelings are two excellent reasons to use the new donrockwell.com Coffee Shop & Roasters forum to find great java out or at home that won't kill the planet, break the budget, cause you to pucker unpleasantly or send Sylvan into a tailspin.  Cheap plug?  You betcha.   :)

Truth is, I did it, as a new mod, and if you want it returned, just ask....

To me, John Sylvan should feel worse about selling his share for $50,000, thus losing $millions. The secret of the Keurig is not the machine, it's the cups, sort of like printers.

Truth is, I did it, as a new mod, and if you want it returned, just ask....

To me, John Sylvan should feel worse about selling his share for $50,000, thus losing $millions. The secret of the Keurig is not the machine, it's the cups, sort of like printers.

All good. Thanks, KN. And, on that second point, yes, also like the "old" cameras that used film, which was Kodak's genius, until it wasn't.

• Like 1

My workplace adopted Keurig/K-cups in place of brewed coffee a few years back. I've been bothered by the waste K-cups generate ever since.

Fortunately, my guilt has been (slightly) assuaged by the "Grounds to Grow On" K-cup recovery program. We order (and pay for) boxes in which the used K-cups are collected, and then shipped to Keurig's 'recycling partner'. The grounds go to compost and the cups go to Covanta's waste-to-energy program.

I still prefer the reusable K-cups that Kibbee Nayee mentioned, but at least recycling is better than throwing them away.

I have a small Keurig in my office while there is a larger one in the staff break room.  I agree the waste is bad and it's been made even worse for those who purchase the 2.0 brewers.  You cannot use a cup in the brewer unless it has a coded top cover so the refillable cups and some off brands cannot be used you hack the system.

I have been saving my used cups since January and am currently re-using them to start my herb garden seedlings indoors.  Pull off the top, dump out the grounds and you have a seedling cup.  The filter helps retain the soil and the hole punched in the bottom allows for draining.  I know this is a limited re-use of the cups so I will look at the Grounds to Grow On program once I transplant things outdoors.

post-1215-0-00004600-1426198243_thumb.jp

• Like 1