Mango Tree, A Thai Collaboration between Richard Sandoval Restaurants and Thailand-Based Coca Restaurants in CityCenterDC, Sandoval has Departed - Closed

I'll save everyone the trouble and the trip. Don't bother.

Went last night with 4 other girlfriends and came away offended and annoyed by the waiter and feeling like we could've gotten an equal meal for less than half the price at any number of area Thai restaurants.

Oh, and despite what the online menu says, the lobster pad thai is listed in the restaurant at "market price" and last night it was $49 :blink:

• Like 4

Oh, and despite what the online menu says, the lobster pad thai is listed in the restaurant at "market price" and last night it was $49 :blink:

I'm not saying a lobster dish can't be worth $49, but if it contained a single 1 1/4 or 1 1/2-pound-lobster, in shell, thrown atop some Pad Thai, then it's a rip-off. Please let us know how it was prepared. Two nights ago, I paid $22.95 for an entire, (lazily hacked apart with a meat cleaver), stir-fried lobster in Szechuan sauce at Mala Tang, and while I had to do all the meat removal myself, I suspect the cost of ingredients was similar to your $49 dish.

If the $49 price got you shucked lobster meat from two 1 1/4-pound lobsters (or equivalent), then it's well-priced.

• Like 1

I didn't get beyond seeing the prices on the online menu.

What's wrong with the prices? I haven't been, so I can't comment on the quality you get for the price, but they seem in line with other new places in DC (compare with Le Diplomate).

I didn't get beyond seeing the restaurateur (he sure likes the DC area, doesn't he).

I would prefer locally-owned restaurants where the chef actually runs the show on a daily basis, but Sandoval is far from the only dude opening more than 1 (or 2 or 3...) restaurants in the area.  Le Diplomate again serves as an example.  Jose Andres, Fabio Trabocchi, Mike Isabella, RJ Cooper, among others have done the same.

This place may indeed suck terribly, but I'd be interested to hear more reports on the food before we collectively write it off.

I'm not saying a lobster dish can't be worth $49, but if it contained a single 1 1/4 or 1 1/2-pound-lobster, in shell, thrown atop some Pad Thai, then it's a rip-off. Please let us know how it was prepared. Two nights ago, I paid $22.95 for an entire, (lazily hacked apart with a meat cleaver), stir-fried lobster in Szechuan sauce at Mala Tang, and while I had to do all the meat removal myself, I suspect the cost of ingredients was similar to your $49 dish.

If the $49 price got you shucked lobster meat from two 1 1/4-pound lobsters (or equivalent), then it's well-priced.

I haven't been, but Sietsema's review said the Pad Thai was intended to serve 2-3 people as a main dish. The picture in the magazine showed a whole baked lobster that it appears the server shucks and mixes at the table. I don't know if that ups the value ($49 vs. the earlier $36 price is a big jump indeed, which suggests perhaps a temporary supply issue, as was recently the case with mussels), but it does explain some of the likely thinking behind the price. But the City Center space surely commands high rent, which is probably going to make "value" a relative matter for any place that locates there--or maybe beside the point for the primary audience they're aiming for. My guess is that Soi 38, Little Serow, et al. probably aren't the competition they have in sight but more their neighbors in that location, or other nearby restaurants in a similar price range, not just other Thai or Asian places--and for some people, that prestige factor is what matters, like it or not.

This place may indeed suck terribly, but I'd be interested to hear more reports on the food before we collectively write it off.

The only thing I have to add is that there should be no collective mentality here, and if there is, then I'm not doing my job very well.

• Like 1

What's wrong with the prices? I haven't been, so I can't comment on the quality you get for the price, but they seem in line with other new places in DC (compare with Le Diplomate).

Why is Le Diplomate your touchstone? If I can go to Soi 38 or Thip Khao (or Baan Thai, or Doi Moi to an extent) and get delicious food for significantly lower prices, why would I ever want to go to Mango Tree for the privilege of paying so much more?

Why is Le Diplomate your touchstone? If I can go to Soi 38 or Thip Khao (or Baan Thai, or Doi Moi to an extent) and get delicious food for significantly lower prices, why would I ever want to go to Mango Tree for the privilege of paying so much more?

Because it is a new, stylish restaurant catering (somewhat) to a see and be seen crowd.  The fact that it serves French food and Mango Tree Thai shouldn't really factor into whether the prices are too high.

• Like 1

Because it is a new, stylish restaurant catering (somewhat) to a see and be seen crowd. The fact that it serves French food and Mango Tree Thai shouldn't really factor into whether the prices are too high.

I may be missing it, but I don't see French food anywhere on Mango Tree's menu. I see fairly standard, putatively authentic Thai, little different in that regard (albeit less interesting-sounding) from Soi 38's offerings.

Sorry...I was less than clear. Le Diplomate serves French and Mango Tree Thai, but they are both aiming to be stylish, high end restaurants.

Is Mango Tree an independent? You didn't say but now curious since Diplomate is of course part of a serious empire in three cities with Stephen Starr. The place has impressive process discipline befitting the company behind it.

My understanding is that this is a US outpost of the Mango Tree in Bangkok. I don't know how closely the menus match, but reports about spices being toned down for the American palate are a bit frustrating.

Share that frustration. Big issue across the Asian spectrum in the US save Japanese and maybe Vietnamese. Then again, that we're in the minority on that is probably why we're on this website.

My understanding is that this is a US outpost of the Mango Tree in Bangkok. I don't know how closely the menus match, but reports about spices being toned down for the American palate are a bit frustrating.

Share that frustration. Big issue across the Asian spectrum in the US save Japanese and maybe Vietnamese. Then again, that we're in the minority on that is probably why we're on this website.

I didn't fully post it above, but I'll re-post what I sent into Sietsema's chat yesterday that also references your frustrations (with which I agree):

Respectfully disagree on Mango Tree

I have to respectfully disagree with your glowing praise for Mango Tree. The actual restaurant space is lovely, but that didn't really make up for our extremely overpriced food and memorable (in the wrong way) service.

Our server was a bit over-enthusiastic and overly friendly from the start, and when he asked if he could go over the menu, he literally went through every single menu item and said something about it. So we asked for clarification and if he had anything he'd particularly recommend, and he basically said it was all good. Very helpful. He also gave us the line about the spice being toned down for American palates (so it sounds like that's a tagline they're using repeatedly, which is a bit off putting). He mentioned at one point that the dishes were fine for individual servings or that things could be shared, but we ended up each ordering our own entree and a couple of shared apps. When the last person ordered, she made a comment about us not sharing entrees like he suggested, and he said, "I know. You're women. You never listen to any suggestions!" Maybe not the most appropriate thing to say to a group of mid-30s professional women. The final annoyance of the evening was his overpouring of our wine. I think I had had a sip, or two at the most, when he was immediately back at my shoulder pouring more into my glass and to the others at the table. And for one of our friends who had requested just a small amount, he topped off her glass, which she did not want, when she was chatting and not paying attention. Not surprisingly, our bottle was quickly empty.

The food was fine. Between us we had the two mushroom curries, the chicken curry, the duck, and one of the beef dishes, and we shared the duck spring rolls and a side of pad thai as appetizers (no one was tempted by the market price on the lobster pad thai last night at $49!? Which was nearly double the next highest priced dish). I don't think anyone disliked their food, but there were many comments that we all thought we could have had equally good Thai food at a number of area places for less than half the price. We also compared it to Rasika where we have gladly paid a little more for innovative and delicious Indian food that we couldn't get somewhere else, but nothing at Mango Tree stood out in the same way to us as worth the rather large price tag.

"I know. You're women. You never listen to any suggestions!" Maybe not the most appropriate thing to say to a group of mid-30s professional women."

Not a good thing to say to any group. Outrageous and stupid.

Haven't been to this place and not sure I'll go but wanted to say I know stuff like that can drive good chefs and owners bonkers. It's so hard to ensure 100% quality control with server and line staff hiring, apart from the "off night" idea. You have lots of good reasons to have not liked this place but just wanted to make the comments about that one because it was so offensive and really stands out.

I ate there a week or so ago, and that line was definitely used, which probably negatively influenced my impression of my meal from that point forward. Nothing we had was particularly great, although at the same time nothing was bad.

Mango Tree started brunch service this past weekend, and since the prices seemed reasonable, I thought it might be a good way to check out the place. Maybe, maybe not: the brunch offered me both one of the best and one of the worst dishes that I've had in recent memory. For my starter, I had the "street style 'pork-in-a-bag'," which was pretty much like it sounds: five good-sized skewers of flavorful marinated grilled pork (I couldn't quite place the flavor but it was delicious), served in a plastic bag filled with sticky rice, tied with twine, and served with a sweet-spicy tamarind sauce ($12). If this exemplifies what the kitchen can do here, it invites a return visit. The sauce isn't for heatseekers, but it had a pleasant warmth and a sense of quality. Excellent dish.

On the other hand, the "Thai, American Full English" breakfast was a mixed bag: thai sausage, bacon, 2 wok-fried eggs, grilled portabello and tomatoes, hash browns, and fried bread. The sausage was reminiscent of Filipino longaniza, if a bit more refined, a pair of thick stubby links. Wok-fried eggs went 1-for-2: one still with a liquid center, one with a solid yolk. The hash browns were a 2-inch fried cube, with a center that seemed to be a mix of mashed and shredded potatoes. All of these were acceptable enough, but the fried bread was, well, disgusting. Two half-slices of Texas-cut toast that seemingly had been simply dropped in hot oil and served on top of everything--they tasted like the bread one might use to test whether your frying oil was up to temperature, writ large. I don't know what the chef is thinking with that--it definitely tasted of oil, not butter, and for me was inedible. Offering rice rather than bread--more like a Filipino breakfast--would have been a far better option. I get that they are trying to play with three different traditions here, but it's not as well-thought-out as it sounds. (I should have ordered one of the benedicts, which seemed to be large and have interesting Thai twists to them, but I was a little burned-out on poached eggs and English muffins.)

The Spicy Siam cocktail (chili infused mango rum, mango, lime, thai chili) had a pleasant spice to it, similar in heat to the sauce with the pork skewers. Service was pleasant, but felt slow: even though I was there for just over an hour, it seemed much longer (maybe an effect of the mostly empty room?). And the restaurant is awkward to get to: you go through the lower-level bar, up one floor via stairs or elevator, into a tiny vestibule with the hostess station, then down a longish hallway into the large, second-story room. Very odd. The good stuff was good enough that I'd try it again for lunch or happy hour (dinner seems a bit dear), but probably not for brunch. I'm sure there's pressure to be open for that meal, but they don't yet have a good handle on it; why not just do a weekend lunch with a few extra brunch-like dishes?

• Like 3

I dropped into Mango for a snack the other night and -- though I had only three dishes -- there was absolutely nothing that suggested any reason to avoid or to hurry back. It appears to be a thoroughly middling restaurant with an expensive wrapping and pretentious backstory.

• Like 1

So we went for birthday dinner the other night.  We had a reservation, but decided to eat at the bar because they had a nice table open and the happy hour menu looked good.

The drinks were excellent, I had the Thai Elephant cocktail and the MT Punch, both really well balanced, fun, refreshing.  We got a free round of birthday shot/cocktails that were also good with bourbon.  The rice balls were so crispy on the outside you couldn't cut them with a fork and knife without zinging across the room so we opened them with our fingers and a fork.  A little too overdone, but the condiments were great and it was a good concept.  The HH peanuts are like spicy bar snack peanuts, they would be great with some beers, they were a nice snack.  We also had the brussel sprouts which I thought were very good, really crispy, nice flavors.

For entrees we had crab fried rice, I was expecting more, it was a very nice dish with a subtle combination of flavors- listed as a side, but very much a meal.  Duck with wide rice noodles was good, there was crispy duck and duck breast, this was a spicy dish, but in a good way.  I liked the noodles, but could have used a few more noodles.  We also had the pork tenderloin stir fry, I liked this better than the duck in flavor, again very spicy, but it had a nice texture of crunchy and tender too.  Overall a lot of the dishes I thought were quite spicy, which was fine for me, but I know a lot of people who I wouldn't take to eat there.

Overall it was good, but it was really missing some veggie elements, and there was only one veggie as an accompaniment.  The major downfall was the service.  Time between someone coming to our table was ridiculously slow, we often had to pull a server or host passing by for attention to order food and drinks.  And it didn't seem to be slammed.  Anyway I thought it just wasn't special enough for the price, especially with service that lacking.  But it was fine.  There are a couple other Thai places I want to try soon, so I will compare.

• Like 3

Doomed from the start.  It's probably not worth it to hope that something of true quality comes in its place, as I'm sure the sky-high rents will demand a cover factory that puts ordinary food filled with butter, salt, and sugar at extraordinary prices.

• Like 1