Brandon's Little Food Truck, Chefs Brandon Ingenito's and Aline Fernandes' Gourmet Sandwiches in Northern Virginia

Many of you know that I dislike the GAR Group, its noise, its monotonous menus across all the differently named restaurants, and so on and so forth....so it would be remiss of me not to point out a nice little chance meeting that happened just yesterday at the Springfield Post Office on Backlick Road.

I was conducting business with one clerk, and next to me with another clerk was a young man in Chef's clogs wearing a Culinary Institute of America jacket. We were both walking out at the same time, and I asked him if he graduated from the C.I.A. He confirmed that he did, and then I asked where he worked. He responded that he worked at the Great American Restuarant Group, and at Carlyle specifically.

Then I grilled him a bit, but good naturedly, and asked him why everything on the appetizer menu seemed to come from the Sysco truck to the fryer to the plate. His response was "Oh, no, Sir, we make everything from scratch. Only the french fries are frozen."

He stopped me in my tracks. Here was a pleasant young man, well groomed, a C.I.A. graduate, and very polite. Then he told me that the pay was good, the cleanliness was top-notch, and the benefits couldn't be beat. For those reasons, I will voluntarliy set foot inside a GAR restaurant again -- but hopefully, someone will get them to stop putting those stupid dried cranberries in their salads.

His name is Brandon, and Brandon's Little Food Truck is his "day" job. It can occasionally be found at Court House in Arlington, where I will definitely be taking lunch at some point soon.

What a great post, Kibee! I'd have just liked it with a button click but wanted to also share Chef Brandon's twitter feed since his facebook page might confuse people. The latter says the truck opens in a May but Twitter makes clear he's open at Courthouse now. I hope this wins him some support. We need to support young pros like this.

@BLTfoodtruck

I'm not sure if we create new topics for food trucks but, if we do, maybe cool to start one for him?

• Like 1