TemptAsian Cafe, Szechuan in Landmark just West of I-395 on Route 236 in West Alexandria - Closed

My first visit to TemptAsian was wonderful, but I had a problem locating the Chen Tsang beef on the menu.  After a lengthly discussion with the waitress, she pointed out what she thought I wanted on the first page of the menu - written in Chinese.  It was exactly what I wanted and I thought it was better than I remember it from China Star - although it could have been because I had such a craving for it!

My husband is still annoyed that he couldn't get Chen Tsang beef when we journeyed to TemptAsian - it was his standard dish at China Star. I asked the waitress, but she had no idea what I was talking about. So, um, which number item is it on the Chinese menu? We're going back next weekend, and I'd like to surprise him...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My husband is still annoyed that he couldn't get Chen Tsang beef when we journeyed to TemptAsian - it was his standard dish at China Star. I asked the waitress, but she had no idea what I was talking about. So, um, which number item is it on the Chinese menu? We're going back next weekend, and I'd like to surprise him...

It's on the yellow chalkboard on the wall (Chinese only). I think second from the left.

Sorry, but it's not on the numbered section of the menu. Our waitress pointed it out on the first page of the menu, which was printed in chinese. I believe it was the second from the bottom. Perhaps that page is a copy of the chalkboard specials?

My friends and I tried TemptAsian Cafe for the first time last night. We arrived around 8pm after a grueling practice and prepared to oh-so-delicately "get our grub on". :lol: After hearing all the wonderful things about the cafe from our friends and online, we were eagerly anticipating a great meal.

Let me just say this: Wow. This place is awesome.

We ordered:

(I don't have the menu w/ me so I've no number to reference)

Sliced beef w/ cilantro chile oil ("mah-la")

Cold chicken w/ scallion soy oil

Scallion pancake

Baby wonton in chile oil

General Tsao boneless duck

Stuffed tofu w/ brown sauce

Tong Pao prok belly w/ mon tao

Roasted fish fillet w/ chile pepper, "mah-lah" and cumin

Whoever was manning the wok last night had excellent skills - everything was properly cooked and there wasn't the oil slick on the plate that you find with some Schzuan foods. Everything was well prepared and had a good flavor to it, you could taste the food and enjoy the seasonings beyond the chiles. With some Szchuan restaurants, it's just pure fire and no flavor in my opinion. Here the food was spicy but you could taste the food.

I really enjoyed everything, especially the boneless duck and the roasted fish. It's definitely worth the trip over the bridge!

First time, last night ... we were on our way home from Fairfax and looking for some vittles. What the heck, we'd already driven 60 miles, what's 30 more? ;-)

Temptasian was about 1/2 full. The two of us were were greeted enthusiastically and seated at a four-top.

I asked for water; she tea.

We chatted with our server a bit about our preferences and ended up ordering

baby wonton in chili oil (recommended by our server, it was a highlight of the meal)

pumpkin cakes

kung pao chicken (what interesting flavors!)

general tsao's duck (also a recommendation from our helpful server)

What a super meal! I would have enjoyed a beer to cut the heat of items 1 and 3, but hey, that's what rice and sliced oranges are for, right?

The staff checked on us several times to see how we were doing--one remarked that the duck is not a typical choice for Americans to order. A surprise because I realy enjoy duck, and this was well prepared and a huge portion!

We ended up taking a bit of everything to go. We spent $30 but could have gotten out of there very satisfied for $15. I look forward to our next visit and trying more dishes. Anyone wanna come with?

First time, last night ... we were on our way home from Fairfax and looking for some vittles.  What the heck, we'd already driven 60 miles, what's 30 more? ;-)

Temptasian was about 1/2 full.  The two of us were were greeted enthusiastically and seated at a four-top.

I asked for water; she tea.

We chatted with our server a bit about our preferences and ended up ordering

baby wonton in chili oil (recommended by our server, it was a highlight of the meal)

pumpkin cakes

kung pao chicken (what interesting flavors!)

general tsao's duck (also a recommendation from our helpful server)

What a super meal! I would have enjoyed a beer to cut the heat of items 1 and 3, but hey, that's what rice and sliced oranges are for, right?

The staff checked on us several times to see how we were doing--one remarked that the duck is not a typical choice for Americans to order. A surprise because I realy enjoy duck, and this was well prepared and a huge portion!

We ended up taking a bit of everything to go. We spent $30 but could have gotten out of there very satisfied for $15. I look forward to our next visit and trying more dishes. Anyone wanna come with?

WHOA! Did someone say somthing about beer? :lol:

:P Mmmmm . . . . General Tsao Boneless Duck . . . .

OK, I shouldn't have been reading this board at work this morning (on my break, OK?), but after Tripewriter's entry, I couldn't stop thinking about TemptAsian. I sometimes stop there for lunch on Thursdays, when I'm not working, but I couldn't wait till tomorrow! When I got home from work, I called in my order: Spicy & Sour Baby Wontons, Triple Stuffed Bean Curd Skin, and General Tsao Boneless Duck.

When I walked in to pick up my order, I scanned the dining room and saw a familiar face in the corner--obviously I wasn't the only Rockwellian who was led astray by Tripewriter's prose. Mktye came over and said hi while I paid for my order. I'm sure she'll be reporting on her dinner.

Mktye, did you see the commotion outside just as I left? I walked out, noticed a black sedan parked strangely out front, blocking another car from moving. Suddenly there were about a dozen guys dressed in black, with bullet-proof vests and ski masks :lol: and the word POLICE stencilled on their backs (good thing for that). They were apprehending a suspect, right in front of TemptAsian's front door. Luckily there wasn't any gunfire! :D These didn't look like county or state cops to me--maybe Federal agents--but why the ski masks?

Safely ensconced back home, I slurped down some wontons, savored the stuffed bean curd (one of my favorites), and nibbled happily on duck.

From the looks of what's left, I'll be nibbling happily for a couple of days! :D

So, Mktye, what did you have for dinner tonight?

ScotteeM

(Grouper, swimming steadily toward Ventworm)

Mktye, did you see the commotion outside just as I left?  I walked out, noticed a black sedan parked strangely out front, blocking another car from moving.  Suddenly there were about a dozen guys dressed in black, with bullet-proof vests and ski masks  :lol: and the word POLICE stencilled on their backs (good thing for that).  They were apprehending a suspect, right in front of TemptAsian's front door.  Luckily there wasn't any gunfire!  :D   These didn't look like county or state cops to me--maybe Federal agents--but why the ski masks?
Yes, it was pretty hard not to notice the large group of large men (with, I suspect, large guns) and their large black sedan. The most intriguing aspect was the total lack of any visible reaction by the employees of TemptAsian. :P

We didn't have anything to eat tonight that has not been mentioned here before...

Triple Bean Curd

Cilanto Fish Paste Rolls

Wonton in Chili Oil

Roasted Fish with Green Onion

Stir-fry Eggplant

Salt & Pepper Shrimp, Scallops and Squid

Kung Pao Chicken

Green Beans with fresh garlic (I thought these were even better than the special green beans with smoked pork we ordered the previous week)

and the Pine Nut-less Pork Belly dish.

Everything was quite tasty even though the place was packed and the kitchen was obviously slammed.

Then the night ended with a strange guy wearing two(!) baseball caps who came in just to wander around and look under all the tables. A rather interesting evening overall.

Edited by mktye

Yes, it was pretty hard not to notice the large group of large men (with, I suspect, large guns) and their large black sedan.  The most intriguing aspect was the total lack of any visible reaction by the employees of TemptAsian.  :lol:

We didn't have anything to eat tonight that has not been mentioned here before...

Triple Bean Curd

Cilanto Fish Paste Rolls

Wonton in Chili Oil

Roasted Fish with Green Onion

Stir-fry Eggplant

Salt & Pepper Shrimp, Scallops and Squid

Kung Pao Chicken

Green Beans with fresh garlic (I thought these were even better than the special green beans with smoked pork we ordered the previous week)

and the Pine Nut-less Pork Belly dish.

Everything was quite tasty even though the place was packed and the kitchen was obviously slammed.

Then the night ended with a strange guy wearing two(!) baseball caps who came in just to wander around and look under all the tables.  A rather interesting evening overall.

Sorry I missed the guy with the baseball caps, but it sounds like you had a great dinner!

ScotteeM

(Grouper, swimming steadily toward Ventworm)

I look forward to our next visit and trying more dishes. Anyone wanna come with?
I do!! and ScotteeM if you ever want company on a Thursday, I work fairly close and have been wanting to get over there and try the place out, especially after reading all of these great posts! I just may succumb to the temptation today...

[excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard]

I'm going to be at TemptAsian this Thursday, Oct 27, at 1 p.m. with a friend and we would welcome donrocker company. What I want to order is clearly too much for two people:

Dan Dan Noodles

Baby Wontons with Chili Oil

Shredded Pork with "Ferny" Vegetable

Spicy Emperor Duck

Prawn Squid Mélange

Fish with Spinach Dumplings

Photos of these dishes appear earlier in this thread. We had them all at one time or another during the JohnB feasts.

Please let me know if you plan to attend, but please attend even if you don't let me know.

Edited by StephenB

Scottee, it was the usual TemptAsian meal -- delicious and capacious. JohnB joined us, and we had everything on my list except the fish with spinach balls. The big hits were the first two courses -- won ton in chili oil and dan dan noodles. Chef Peter Chang was off that day, but whoever subbed for him had a generous hand. The three of us had such a good time that we agreed to do it again sometime soon, and we hope you will join us then. Stay tuned.

Ummmm, the feeling in my tounge is just starting to return.  Beef jerky anyone?  :)

A plate of the beef jerky appetizer prior to a dentist appointment will obviate the need for local anesthesia.

And the Scoville Wimp said:

The aforementioned beef jerky was one of the 4 appetizers we consumed.  I thought it was delicious.

But before that, Rocks said:

I have but one word to say about TemptAsian's Roasted Fish With Green Onion:

BLOODY AWESOME!

Oops, sorry - that was two.

Rocks.

Last night, after a rough day, I pored over my notes and this thread, and placed an order for take out: #13 Beef Jerky, #25 Baby Wontons in Chicken Flavor, #65 Roasted Fish with Green Onion, and Salt & Pepper Shrimp (from the Chinese/American menu).

Visual inspection of the Beef Jerky suggested that this was not the dish I had enjoyed at the group lunch in August. So many dried peppers! So many red flakes! :)

It was indeed not the same dish, but it was delicious, and it did relieve the toothache that one dentist has given up on fixing. :lol:

The fish was exactly as Mr. Rockwell had described it. I couldn't stop eating it!

Thank goodness for the shrimp and the mild-mannered wontons! They provided a little "shade" for my tongue between bites of beef and fish.

I've come to the conclusion that the dish we thought was the beef jerky in August was more likely the Five Spiced Sliced Beef, #15, directly below the jerky on the menu. Now I have to go back for that. :(

[edited to add:] Though I was ready to dodge them again, there were no agents in flak jackets and ski masks in the parking lot last night. :P

In my last 4 visits or so, they haven't had the beef jerky, or as some of us like to call it, the "anesthesia beef."

It was sitting in front of me tonight. My eyes watered just looking at it, but it really was tasty in a burn-in-hellish way. Also had the creature-of-habit roasted fish with green onions (and cumin), General Tsao's duck - (succulent, sweet and crispy skinned); dan dan noodles, baby wontons in chili oil, and shredded pork in garlic sauce. I was so warm inside from all those peppers that even with the constant opening and closing of the doors on a cold evening as people came in and left with their take out orders, I wasn't feeling a bit chilly. I saw people sharing some intriguing looking meals from pyrex pie plate serving dishes. I figure I'm going to have to start at the top of the menu and work my way down until I figure out what everything is.

I finally made my first trip to Temptasian for lunch today and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The pleasant tingly heat from my various choices is just beginning to fade from around my mouth. :lol: I went solo, and am looking forward to going again with a dining companion(s) so I can try more selections.

Based on the numerous recommendations from this thread, I tried out the Baby Wontons with Chili Oil Sauce (#24) - very nice, I enjoyed the taste of ginger in the wonton filling and got a smile from all the tiny dried shrimp floating in the broth.

I also ordered the Spicy Peppercorn Beef with Cilantro (#15) which, to my (pleasant) surprise, came out as a cold dish. It was nicely seasoned, peppery and spicy and the cilantro added a touch of freshness to the very thin and tender slices of beef.

For the main course I got one of the lunch specials - (LS#12) Fish Filet with Spicy Bean Sauce. The sauce was a touch too gelatinous for me, but very flavorful nonetheless. The fish filets were perfectly cooked, tender and moist, and the sauce was full of green onions and pepper flakes.

The service was friendly, helpful, and fast, and the dining room, if small, is pleasant and bright. I have a big bag of leftovers and a definite urge to go back - soon - and continue to explore the menu.

Edited by goldenticket

I think the Dan Dan Noodles have some of the anesthetic from the beef jerky in them.  They give you the same "fuzzy tongue" effect.

Ah, so you are not immune to this effect. Those Dan Dan Noodles are pretty good. Must get back and try some new items soon.

Yesterday for lunch I swooped in and grabbed up some Five-Spice Beef and an order of Fried Dumplings to go.

I know, not much heat there, but just right for a quick lunch. The beef seemed to braised brisket, full of flavor, meltingly tender, with just a little kick at the end. The dumplings were plump and fresh. Not as much ginger as the baby wontons, but very good.

Stopped in for a little sustenance last night and tried, on the recommendation of the oh-so-nice waiter :P , the beef bone soup with wolfberries and radish. He said it was one of his favorites and a very special soup. Maybe so, but it was 'not to my liking' - very strange flavor ( the +1 mentioned dishwater, but it wasn't quite that bad) and milky yellowish color.

The wolfberries, on the other hand, were beautiful - an orangey-red, currant/raisin-like bite of sweetness in what I found to be an otherwise bland dish.

Love those cilantro/ground fish rolls though!

We also tried the fish filet with special sauce - not bad, your basic white fish in a spicy sauce with scallions and chili peppers.

I think we'll go with the roasted fish next time. I'm pretty sure that was the dish we'd seen a few visits ago but weren't able to adequately describe to get it ordered for ourselves last night :lol:

I think we'll go with the roasted fish next time.  I'm pretty sure that was the dish we'd seen a few visits ago but weren't able to adequately describe to get it ordered for ourselves last night  :lol:

When all is said and done, it probably is their best single dish (but if anybody wants to put forward other contenders I'm all ears). Anyway, it's the one they serve between the two wicker/bamboo woven disks, the top one propped up with a wooden skewer, so if that's the one you saw that's it. Without looking I think it's about #63 on the menu, called "roasted fish with scallions" IIRC. Definitely one you should not miss.

Was at TemptAsian yesterday for another amazing meal (I wish I had the self-control to skip the Roasted Fish one time). Does anyone know what the medals on the wall are about? Everyone in the restaurant seemed to making a big deal about them. But, alas, our lack of language skills prevented us from getting the whole story.

Was at TemptAsian yesterday for another amazing meal (I wish I had the self-control to skip the Roasted Fish one time).  Does anyone know what the medals on the wall are about?  Everyone in the restaurant seemed to making a big deal about them.  But, alas, our lack of language skills prevented us from getting the whole story.

If my understanding is correct, they are medals Chef Chang won in two important culinary competitions in China. That fellow he is with in the photo is the President of China, or some such.

I work near this restaurant, but cannot go out for a sit-down lunch. What dishes stand up best for carry-out?

Anything that's not meant to be crispy and crunchy should be fine for carryout.

Try the roasted fish with green onions. It's insanely good.

I dined here this afternoon with la familia. We had Beef Jerky with Hot Sauce, Spicy Peppercorn Beef with Cilantro, Scallion Pancakes, Baby Wonton with Chili Oil Sauce, Spicy Beef Rolls, (I think)Fish Fillet with Diced Pepper, and General Kwan Spicy Beef.With the exception of General Kwan, everything was incredible.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone at DR.com (and formerly EG) for contributing to my 20 lb weight gain this year! I will be on a hardcore diet starting tomorrow! So I will eat precariously thru your postings!

My synagogue is setting up a banquet at TemptAsian next month. While the person doing the coordination is well-intentioned, I want to make sure that we don't get the American banquet.

This is the response I got from the coordinator, when I asked if we were going to get the real Sichuan: "It will be primarily specialties of the house (No standard American, that's not what I do), but not as spicy as usual so that we all can enjoy."

What should I make sure is on the menu, to get the best TemptAsian experience?

My synagogue is setting up a banquet at TemptAsian next month. While the person doing the coordination is well-intentioned, I want to make sure that we don't get the American banquet.

This is the response I got from the coordinator, when I asked if we were going to get the real Sichuan: "It will be primarily specialties of the house (No standard American, that's not what I do), but not as spicy as usual so that we all can enjoy."

My favorite is the Roasted Fish with Green Onion. It really isn't spicy at all, so no need to change it.

The Beef Jerky. Spicy and fuzzy.

It's all good.

They have a separate "real chinese" menu, of course, and both menus are available in paper, take out versions. If you stop by, the one up by the door is the american one, but you can ask for the chinese one at the bar. Get it, and make sure the stuff for the banquet is off of it. That's a start. Go back on this thread to get lots of ideas for specifics. RaisaB is right about the fish--that is the best single dish. There are a number of apps which are to die for, including the fish-cilantro rolls and the spicy baby wontons.

I will be on a hardcore diet starting tomorrow! So I will eat precariously thru your postings!

While I can understand dieting slightly off-balanced and with bad underpinnings (precariously), I think you'll probably want to eat vicariously with us (well, actually you'd probably prefer to literally eat with us rather than figuratively)....life is too short to eat bad food..

Edited by Escoffier

I think part of the appeal of the food is some spice. I was a little disappointed in the food at a group visit before the Holidays primarily because there wasn't much spice at all. And I don't think we specifically asked for the spice to be toned down.

So make sure they give you some spice or you might be left wondering what the fuss is all about.

I think part of the appeal of the food is some spice.  I was a little disappointed in the food at a group visit before the Holidays primarily because there wasn't much spice at all.  And I don't think we specifically asked for the spice to be toned down.

So make sure they give you some spice or you might be left wondering what the fuss is all about.

The last time I was there we had the spicy fish hot pot and the spicy emperor duck. Neither of these very good dishes were lacking in the spice department.

Our $20 Tuesday (on a Thursday) was a lot of fun and with 10 people we got to sample a good number of dishes. They were:

Sliced Pork w/Garlic Sauce

Beef Jerky with Hot Sauce

Fried Ground Fish Roll w/Cilantro

Baby Wontons w/Chili Oil Sauce

Spicy and Sour Baby Wontons

Dan Dan Noodles

Steamed Dumplings

Fried Dumplings

Ma Po Bean Curd

Roasted Fish w/Green Onions

Shredded Pork with Ferny Vegetable

Tong Po Roast Pork w/Pine Nuts (and YES - there were pine nuts :) )

Sauteed Greens....I didn't catch the Chinese name - perhaps it was the Chinese Watercress mentioned in earlier posts?

Chen Tsang Spicy Beef (aka Chinese Sloppy Joes)

I think that's all of them. It doesn't look quite so big in words as it did all over the table :lol: There wasn't much left when we were through.

Old favorites were good as always - ground fish rolls and Baby Wontons (though the ones in chili oil did literally leave some members of our party gasping for air :huh: )

Having been a few times, I do think they may have held back on the heat on a few dishes - everything was still delicious, but the sliced pork was the only item that had the anesthesia effect.

I was happy to finally try the Tong Po Pork and the Chen Tsang Beef. The pork was scrumptious and tender and the beef had a good flavor and was a fun dish to make and eat with the steamed buns to fill with beef.

A new favorite was the Beef Jerky with Hot Sauce. Again, the heat I expected wasn't there, but the flavor was wonderful - anise perhaps, and the meat was tender and very flavorful.

Hopefully we'll hear from some others with their thoughts on the meal - I had a great time! Thanks to all who were a part of the evening!

Edited by goldenticket

Our $20 Tuesday (on a Thursday) was a lot of fun and with 10 people we got to sample a good number of dishes.  They were:

Sliced Pork w/Garlic Sauce

Beef Jerky with Hot Sauce

Fried Ground Fish Roll w/Cilantro

Baby Wontons w/Chili Oil Sauce

Spicy and Sour Baby Wontons

Dan Dan Noodles

Steamed Dumplings

Fried Dumplings

Ma Po Bean Curd

Roasted Fish w/Green Onions

Tong Po Roast Pork w/Pine Nuts (and YES - there were pine nuts  :huh: )

Sauteed Greens....I didn't catch the Chinese name - anyone else?

Chen Tsang Spicy Beef aka Chinese Sloppy Joes

No comments on each individual dish? :lol:

Having lived vicariously through all of the TemptAsian posts over the last few months, I've been anxious to get there and was so happy to make it to last night's $20 Tuesday (of sorts) dinner.

There's not much to add, so I'll just say that if anyone is on the fence about going, run, do not walk. The food is wonderful, surprising, well spiced and if I could go back today, I would. I don't know if all of the dishes were as hot as they could be or have been in the past, probably some dishes could be made hotter, but many were fairly hot . Here are my rankings of sorts:

The best: the roasted fish (what intricate spicing. I need to eat an entire order on my own to decipher the secret spice mix), the beef jerky (hot, crunchy, chewy, delicious, why didn't I order an extra one to take home?), the fish and cilantro rolls (incredible), the mapo bean curd (really a hot and spicy custard), the baby wontons in chili oil sauce(more,please! and so very hot).

The next best: the spicy and sour baby wontons, the sauteed greens (lovely, really, and I would absolutely order again, just not as much of a revelation as some other dishes), the dan dan noodles (I slurped with abandon, these are great), the fried dumplings, the tong po roast pork (really delicious and for me, something new, but the dish is a little rich for me to want to eat it again today).

I actually didn't taste the Chen Tsang Spicy Beef or the steamed dumplings (d'Oh! I think I lost track after a while). And while I loved the sauce on the sliced pork with garlic sauce, I somehow didn't love the dish. Also, maybe I'm still in a food coma, but I thought we had the pork with ferny vegetable. If not, we ate something that looked similar (to me) that I really loved.

We even got to thank the chef personally. What a great dinner and thank you everyone for such a nice time.

Edited by cucas87

I actually didn't taste the Chen Tsang Spicy Beef or the steamed dumplings (d'Oh! I think I lost track after a while). And while I loved the sauce on the sliced pork with garlic sauce, I somehow didn't love the dish. Also, maybe I'm still in a food coma, but I thought we had the pork with ferny vegetable. If not, we ate something that looked similar (to me) that I really loved.

We even got to thank the chef personally. What a great dinner and thank you  everyone for such a nice time.

Oh but we did indeed have the pork with ferny (bracken) vegetables. Those little brown straw like thingies were the ferns (a staple in Korean food as well).

I don't have too much to add other than the food and the company were both excellent with a wide variety of both. My +1 and I look forward to many more of these.

I'm planning to create the "ultimate $20 Tuesday Korean food nosh" for the near future. If I can get goldenticket to organize that as well as she organized this one, it will be food nirvana.

I'm planning to create the "ultimate $20 Tuesday Korean food nosh" for the near future.  If I can get goldenticket to organize that as well as she organized this one, it will be food nirvana.

Being selfish, can we do it on a Monday so I can easily go? :lol:

OH - I forgot to mention that for that culinary extravaganza - we came in at a whopping $16, and that was with tax and a nice tip INCLUDED!

I think we all agreed that the absence of alcohol from the menu was a big contributor - but still, that was a LOT of food for relatively little $$.

cucas87 - you're right we did have the pork, I'll add it to the list - must have forgotten last night.

Korean on a Monday sounds like fun too :lol:

Edited by goldenticket