Bagels, Etc. - Bagelry and Breakfast-Lunch Counter on P Street in West Dupont

Yes. This semi-New Yorker loves them.

I agree, Rieux, they were very good bagels.

I can't say I loved them because when it comes to bagels, "love" is an extremely strong word; I will say, however, that I liked them a lot, and that I'm surprised I'd never tried Bagels, Etc. before - it's because it looks like a little corner dump. How long has it been there? It looks well-worn.

And, in fact, it *is* a little corner dump, manned (or womanned) by two upper-middle-aged Asian females. Bagels ... Etc. (they use an ellipse on their sign rather than a comma) could be your typical Korean-owned dive lunch counter (and, in fact, it may well be).

But the bagels were really pretty very good - I got two Sesame Bagels with Cream Cheese, lightly toasted, and a large Diet Coke, handed them my Visa only to be politely rebuffed (it's cash only, which in this day and age is nothing more to me than a red flag), and my order was ready within a couple of minutes. I was warned about the size of the large soda (it's big - probably one quart), but I just save it for later in the day, and it's my one vice, so.

I'm skeptical about whether or not these bagels are made in-house - where would they make them? There were perhaps a dozen different varieties, and your typical breakfast-lunch flat-top grill behind the counter - there was a room off to the side which I suppose could contain a bagel boiler, or whatever they use, but I suspect these are made elsewhere. The question is: where?

These are not destination bagels, but they are worth getting if you're in the Dupont Circle area, and they're not merely a waste of calories, as most bagels are - toothsome (yes, that word is so trite that it's hip when used properly), fresh, and with that slight, barely detectable sourness that all great bagels should have - these had a good recipe and were well-executed.

So instead of going in the Rolls with Holes category, Bagels, Etc. merits a slight nod of respect. Anyone else concur? Disagree?

Yeah, love was a strong word.  I should say that I "love" them because they are the closest thing to a decent bagel that you can get at a corner shop in NW.  Still, whenever I go home to the CT suburbs of NYC I bring back a dozen local bagels.  They are just better.  Also, can I just say that there is a major lack of good scallion cream cheese in most bagel shops in DC too.

That said, the Santa Cruz bagel I had at Tryst on Saturday (a bullfrog poppy bagel with cream cheese, parley, chives, sage, and cilantro) was also good.

I've been getting their bialy sandwiches and homemade bagel chips for... 12 years now? (uh, maybe 14. eeek.) same folks. Yeah, the bialy's aren't authentic, either, but man they make a satisfying sandwich. If I go in I'll ask where they're made. I suspect that they make them themselves, just off-site.