Child-Friendly in Silver Spring - Nine People, Big Table, Fast Serve, Not Gourmet

Ilaine

My niece and her four young, active, rowdy kids are visiting Washington DC for Spring Break.  We want to get together Thursday evening.  They are staying with another aunt in Silver Spring.  At least nine people for dinner. So, we need a big table and fast service.  NOT gourmet.

I am partial to Pete's Apizza because the GM lives next door to me and also they have gluten free pizzas.  Person who answered the phone at the Silver Spring location says that they are suitable for the parameters I describe, fast and lots of room, kid friendly.

Any other suggestions?

The last time we ate at Pete's there was a children's party happening in the back of the restaurant, so I'm sure they would be able to accommodate your requirements. I don't know if you are open to Asian food, but when my family group dines we often eat at the Vietnamese place upstairs, whose name escapes me at the moment.

Sorry I missed this, but for future reference, and others, Jackies is actually really good with kids with a separate kids menu, though I like to order regular menu for the kids and we all split our meals up. They also have the big table in the back right close to the restrooms and the hall to Sidebar, and there's another large table in the back left past the kitchen area. I think they are a good option to lean towards the gourmet, but kid acceptable. And the open kitchen can be a distraction for the kids.

Never eaten there, but Masa hibachi might be fun for kids. It's teppan yaki style like benihana. It's right next to the Vietnamese place mentioned previously. I think that's called Pho Viet and we have enjoyed eating there, though we prefer Lotus which is located a little further down Georgia.

The Fire Station restaurant is pretty popular among families in our neighborhood, though I'm not that crazy after our one visit there.

ultimately though, I think Pete's probably is the best alternative given what you describe. They can easily combine tables to accommodate various size groups. Make sure you do their Front/Flip application on your phone, or via FB to sometimes get freebies or discounts.

We went to Pete's and we all had a really good time.  It was quite suitable, although the group was so large that we were cramped.  Half the people there were children so that helped squeeze everybody in.  They were not crowded so all the different pizzas were stacked on the tables behind us.  Never would have fit on the dining table.

Unfortunately for me, coming from Springfield, I chose to drive straight through DC instead of taking the Beltway.  The traffic was such an ordeal I felt like I was on the river voyage in Apocalypse Now.  Don't know whether DC traffic is getting worse or it's just me getting older, but after that, and a similar debacle trying to get to the Slow Food awards at Ris last weekend, no more DC.