Leaving Arlington at 6:30, Must Be Home By 9 - Where To Have Dinner Tonight?

NolaCaine

I forgot to make reservations for tonight .While I have 'free' babysitting, It is between 6:30 and 9 at lee and george mason.

where can I have a great dinner and still get back to that location by 9pm?

Probably without reservations. I wanted to try SER and Kapanos Taverna but alas, no reservations. Dare I try the bar or is that a disaster waiting to happen?

These may not be close enough for you, but.....

Bangkok Golden is over that way. But fair warning, every time I've gone there it's been less special and more "just ok" than the pervious time. And my last visit was long before they opened the new place in DC so who know what it's like now.

Peking Gourmet Inn is in the same area. I know a lot of people don't like that place or think it might have lived up to the hype 20 years ago, but not today, but in comparing recent (within a year) meals at PKI and BG, I'd go back to PKI first.

Also in the same area is Bamian for Afghan. I've only eaten lunch there, and not probably in 5 years, but if you're looking for something "different" that might be an option.

If you're willing to sit at a bar, you can pretty much go anywhere. Some possibilities are SER, Kapnos, Ray's, Willow, Pupatella, Orso, Mala Tang, Water and Wall, Amoo's, or the Palisades group: Et Voila! (this is where I'd go, but not without reservations), BlackSalt, Bistroquet (another good choice - the Thai fusion dishes here are really good), even Georgetown: Fiola Mare (which is only a fifteen minute drive from you) BourbonSteak, or Chez Billy Sud - just yesterday, I recommended Fiola Mare to someone who didn't want to spend a lot of money - my advice was to sit at the bar and order "small" (burrata, bisque, pasta, etc.), and I got positive feedback (don't sell these $20 "small" dishes at Fiola Mare short - they are pretty darned incredible, and so are the desserts which aren't too sweet). 

• Like 1

Thank you!

Water and Wall for dinner (got reservation) and SER for lunch. It is amazing outside and both Mr. Caine and I are working from home.  We'll see how productive we are after Spanish wine.  I only have a speech to prep so it might actually be helpful to have a slight buzz.

• Like 1

SER Was good and we will go again.  Wine was good, will review food later. But I just need a place to vent right now. So on the walk home, I checked my work email and had a call request from someone "important". I knew it was going to be very bad news. And yes, what little buzz I got from the white sangria, was immediatly gone. So since then I've been troubleshooting. Hope my efforts work. I was really looking forward to doing my (easy) writing assignment but instead I"m working my ass off. Good thing I had some EVOO with my shimp. I need brain fat. Oh wait, is that salmon? doensn't matter.  Thanks for listening.

SER Was good and we will go again.  Wine was good, will review food later. But I just need a place to vent right now. So on the walk home, I checked my work email and had a call request from someone "important". I knew it was going to be very bad news. And yes, what little buzz I got from the white sangria, was immediatly gone. So since then I've been troubleshooting. Hope my efforts work. I was really looking forward to doing my (easy) writing assignment but instead I"m working my ass off. Good thing I had some EVOO with my shimp. I need brain fat. Oh wait, is that salmon? doensn't matter.  Thanks for listening.

I want to know which Sangria you ordered.

White Sangria was very good. It did not taste like alcohol yet did have a little impact.

FF;  To compare water & wall to SER, we'd do SER again. The food was better and the restaurant fit the space. Not so true, IMO, of W&W.  The food was good, but not as good.  The space seemed forced at W&W but I did like the grey toilet and sink.

• Like 1