Special Restaurant This Saturday, May 9, 2015, For Our One-Year-In-DC Anniversary

MSDCX

Dear members,

I need your most valuable assistance.  This Saturday, May 9,will be exactly one year since the Mrs. and I relocated to D.C. from sunny Florida.  Since this was the right decision personally and financially, we would like to celebrate and she wants to dress up a bit (me, not so much but I have no choice ^_^ ).  I know this is somewhat of a late notice, but I am looking to book a nice place for dinner where we can both enjoy a good meal.  We usually frequent ethnic and "hole in a wall" places, but would prefer something more upscale (DC or VA) this time around ($200 budget for food, give or take).  Apologies for a short notice, but your suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Michael.

Sisters Thai isn't my recommendation for that night since it's not expensive or formal, but I think you would enjoy visiting it at some point.

Since there is the dressed up criteria perhaps somewhere between completely formal and chic? At this time of year, Fiola Mare.

Nothing other than 5PM dinner available  :(

P.S. Thank you for the Sisters Thai recommendation.

For an exquisite dining experience in the region where  "dress up" is appropriate take a look at l'auberge chez francois.  But read the thread on it, as the opinions and perspective provide a breadth of experience.

Thanks, Dave. They have a 9pm available, but it is an hour drive from us  :blink:

Have you been to Corduroy yet?

Have not, but nothing available for Saturday night  :(. I will try calling them.

P.S. Nada for Saturday at Corduroy.

Oval Room

Mintwood Place

Rasika

Osteria Morini

DBGB

Iron Gate

Izakaya Seki

Ripple

Thanks, Jonathan. Looks like the Oval Room and Osteria Morini have openings for Saturday. Just need to bounce these with the Mrs and see what she says.

Are you willing/able to sit at the bar?

Jason and I eat out quite a bit on the weekends, and we never make reservations when it is just us - we find that we rarely have to wait long for bar seats, and the service is often better than at a table.  We have done this recently at many of the places mentioned upthread.

If you're game, I can recommend some places where we've had good bar experiences.  I am with your wife - there are some days when I want to get gussied up and go out on the town!

Are you willing/able to sit at the bar?

Jason and I eat out quite a bit on the weekends, and we never make reservations when it is just us - we find that we rarely have to wait long for bar seats, and the service is often better than at a table.  We have done this recently at many of the places mentioned upthread.

If you're game, I can recommend some places where we've had good bar experiences.  I am with your wife - there are some days when I want to get gussied up and go out on the town!

Sitting at the bar is wonderful, jut not for this occasion as we want something more private.

I know Oval Room is on my to do list - supposed to be great! Calling often works wonders when online bookings seem slim or nonexistent.

They have reservations available but the Mrs. sort of snubbed it.

I'd certainly consider Casa Luca. I'm a huge fan of Trabocchi's DC restaurants--they are pricey, but well worth the money. I've eaten at Casa Luca only once, and that was for lunch, but I think you'll find it is well regarded.

I'll add Del Campo as well. Even though it features beef, I wouldn't categorize it as a standard steakhouse.

We were at Osteria Morini 2 days ago...Don't sleep on that one.  Great pastas, and if the weather cooperates, you could dine al fresco.

The desserts are just as good as the pastas (their pastry chef, Alex Levin, is fantastic - the desserts are complex, nuanced, and not too sweet).

That said, Fiola Mare is a step up, and you can get a seat at the bar (you can also get a seat at the bar at Corduroy and spend a *lot* less money - if you're just starting out on upscale dining in the city, that's a mighty fine place to begin with, and the bar is wonderful).

• Like 1

Grapeseed (Bethesda) would be an excellent choice and Jeff (Owner/Chef) is a great guy and friend to this community.

Red Hen in Bloomingdale is wonderful Italian. Unlikely you'd be able to book a table now but they hold some tables for walk-ins so could work if you'd be able to go early. Not as fancy as spots below I'll suggest but delicious.

Most everyone here agrees Fabio Trabiocchi is one of the city's very best Chefs. You tried Fiola Mare but no luck. Someone else suggested his more moderately-priced (but still quite nice) Casa Luca. How about the original Fiola? Still great, in town and definitely good for a special night.

R24 (Chef RJ Cooper) would also be great for this. Really interesting, innovative and delicious food and absolutely special occasion appropriate.

Restaurant Eve in Akexandria (Chef Cathal Armstrong) is another of the area's most exceptional places in the romantic, night out but with really great food category.

thinking of places you may not need to book way ahead.  I've always like Mio.  It's been ages since I've been there, but 1789 is another option.  Blue Duck Tavern if on the outside chance you can get a reservation,  Poste is another place I haven't had dinner in a while, but the courtyard lounge/bar is a nice place to have a drink during these comfortable evenings.

Never been to Casa Luca, however, these are the one's that I would recommend for a special night out:

- Mintwood Place

- Rose's Luxury

- Little Serrow

- Blue Duck Tavern

These are the four best in DC right now - from what I have tried...will be heading to Proof soon.