Fun Bars To Take An Out-Of-Town Guest - Also On July 4th Weekend

Good evening

I will be hosting an out of town friend this summer. I live in the hellburbs and will be looking to escape downtown at all available opps.  Or at least Clarendon.

Any suggestions?  Someplace fun but not so bloody loud or crowded we can't hear each other talking. I know that is a tall order, especially for July 4th.

Thanks!

In DC:

I like to take out-of-towners to Baby Wale.

The Saloon on U Street, no TVs, music, cell phone use, plus other quirky rules make it a low-key spot.  And good German beer.    

The outdoor courtyard at Poste is always nice, and convenient to the downtown museums.  Good late afternoon spot.

In my limited experience, the roof top bar at the Brixton is usually fairly empty early evening, up until 9pm or so, when things start to pick up (although I would imagine on the evening of July 4th it would be crowded because of the view).

Outside of the District...I got nothing.

The bocce court/backyard bar at Vinoteca

Upstairs at Pearl Dive

Biergarten House on H St.

Rooftop bar area at red Rocks on H St.

Off the Record at the Hay Adams

701 when there is jazz music in the evening

Patio at Acadiana for happy hour

Cantina Marina

There are so many different types of bars that it would help if you could narrow it down for us in terms of what you're looking for. Is there a particular drink you seek? Beer = Churchkey, Bourbon = Jack Rose, Wine = (maybe) Dickson Wine Bar, etc.

My guess is that you'd enjoy Bistrot L'Epic Wine Bar, upstairs from the main restaurant - you can order from the entire main menu. It's a fun place to talk (very quiet, with comfortable sofas and chairs), and it feels like you're in - well, not France, but maybe some hideaway in Casablanca (most definitely *not* Rick's Gin Joint). The wines are good, and so's the food.

I also think you'd like Ching Ching Cha for tea - there's no alcohol, but teas and light tea fare - it's a great afternoon experience for out-of-towners. I think the owners might be from China or Taiwan, but it's a tea house; not a restaurant - it's nice, but not upscale, and you can certainly go in your tourist clothing. I even went here one year for a friend's birthday - that's how special I think it is.

Time to represent for H St. NE

Copycat on H St. for well-made classic cocktails in a small but boisterous setting (with the option of ordering dumplings and bao from downstairs).

Maketto for cocktails/coffee in an indoor/outdoor/deck setting with the option of food.

Boundary Road for...anything really.  Great original cocktails, an always interesting beer selection, and a handful of great ciders (in anticipation of their upcoming cider bar).

If you feel like getting super gritty and urban, and probably scaring the hell out of your visitor, head over to Bardo beer garden on Bladensburg Rd for great beer in a barely organized outdoor setting.

• Like 1

If you'll be around Metro Center, I recommend Brick and Mortar (http://www.brickmortardc.com/) which is located at the old Living Social building (918 F St NW, Washington, DC). They have great, quality made cocktails, a small selection of beer and wine. There are small dishes such as cheese and light sandwiches if you want small things to help displace the alcohol. In the same building is a new wine bar called 4th Floor Wine Bar (https://www.prequeldc.com/4th-floor-wine-bar/about) that you can migrate to if you want to move away from cocktails.

Both places are tailored to be a more quiet atmosphere that you can chat while enjoying delicious drinks.