"Late Show With David Letterman" (1982-2015), The Longest-Running Late-Night Talk Show In History

DonRocks

In case anyone didn't know, last night was the final night of "Late Show with David Letterman" né "Late Night with David Letterman."

The final episode got pretty solid reviews:

"Thanks Dave: The Genius Of Letterman's 'Late Show' Goodbye" by Rob Sheffield on rollingstone.com

"David Letterman's Final 'Late Show': Star-Studded Top 10, Heartfelt Goodbye" by Marisa Guthrie on hollywoodreporter.com

"David Letterman Finale Draws Almost 14 Million Viewers In Ratings" by John Koblin on nytimes.com

• Like 1

Letterman's retirement makes me feel oooooooold. It doesn't seem so long ago that I watched his show religiously on a beat up black and white in my dorm room.

Note to younger members: the world used to exist solely in black and white. Therefore televisions weren't made with any color features since colors in the real world hadn't been invented yet.

Note to younger members: the world used to exist solely in black and white. Therefore televisions weren't made with any color features since colors in the real world hadn't been invented yet.

Note to even younger members: people used to huddle around the radio, listening to 'Burns and Allen." Before that, they considered themselves lucky to have electricity and running water - my mom grew up with an outhouse, well water, and went to bed at sunset since there was no electricity.

Internet memes showing pictures of a pay phone, and saying, "What is this strange thing?" would have been taken quite seriously 100 years ago (except that there was no internet).