Barrel, Modern-American Bourbon Pub on 6th and Pennsylvania Avenue in SE Capitol Hill - Chef Walfer Hernandez Replaces Michael Ellish

I thought there was a thread for this restaurant but I can't find one.  I stopped in this evening and got a Troegs DreamWeaver beer and a small plate.  The food was pork and veal meatballs cabbage all'Amatriciana.  The vinegar on the raw cabbage made the whole thing work super well.  Wow, that was good.  It was $13.  (Beer was $7.)  There were maybe 5 meatballs, but it was enough for me and what I wanted.

I've heard mixed things about this place, but I think the most critical comments were about the bourbon selection, which is not something about which I claim any expertise.

The meatballs and cabbage were awesome.

• Like 1

I thought there was a thread for this restaurant but I can't find one.  I stopped in this evening and got a Troegs DreamWeaver beer and a small plate.  The food was pork and veal meatballs cabbage all'Amatriciana.  The vinegar on the raw cabbage made the whole thing work super well.  Wow, that was good.  It was $13.  (Beer was $7.)  There were maybe 5 meatballs, but it was enough for me and what I wanted.

I've heard mixed things about this place, but I think the most critical comments were about the bourbon selection, which is not something about which I claim any expertise.

The meatballs and cabbage were awesome.

Nice to hear.  I went over to the website to look at the bourbon selection.  Not bad, I'd say.  Certainly nothing to grouse about.  Prices are pretty good, too.  I might have to stop in soon for an Eagle Rare 10 and some meatballs.

43 minutes ago, Pat said:

Tim Carman gives Barrel a solid, mostly positive review. Includes updates on chef, etc.

I enjoyed the review.  I liked reading about the "underdog"/trained in house status of the chef.  It was interesting to read about the effort for brunch.  From the "bar school" staffing side, we have heard way too often, no matter how many different alternatives and variations on cocktails a place has and promotes...the overwhelming variety of drinks that are served during brunch are mimosas and bloody's;  overwhelmingly so.

I was there several years ago, met an old friend/someone I often work with and downed some whiskey.  The liquor was good!!!!!

58 minutes ago, DaveO said:

I enjoyed the review.

Agreed - it reads like a short story, in sonata-allegro form (exposition, development, recapitulation).

Since you're reading this 😉, beware of the, "But not every card is dealt an ace" jolt, often found 80% of the way through positive reviews, and limited to one paragraph (avoiding this, especially when writing regularly, takes endless creativity and mental energy).

Screenshot 2019-02-05 at 14.55.57.pngScreenshot 2019-02-05 at 14.59.26.png

Their downstairs pub is called Rum-D.M.V.