A Light Lunch (Motion Sickness) Before Boarding Amtrak's Auto Train in Lorton

bookluvingbabe

Let's say that someone who is prone to motion sickness and is traveling with an 8 year old who may or may not have the same tendency was planning a trip on the Auto Train and wanted to have a light lunch before boarding.

(You can turn in your car as early as 11:30 am and they start letting passengers aboard at 2:30 PM, the train doesn't depart until 4 pm.)

It looks like Lorton Station is nearby and that Pane E Vino got warm, if mixed, reviews here previously.  Fireside Grill is not open for lunch on our departure day.

Is there anywhere else I should be considering?

Thanks!

Try a Gourmet Delight (pita with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocadoes, sprouts, provolone and tarragon spread, $6.29) or a Far East (roll or pita with chopped, grilled chicken, melted provolone, baby sprouts, and sliced avocado, $6.29) at Gourmet Gunston Deli & Grill. post-2-0-90152100-1436168193_thumb.pngpost-2-0-78910500-1436168202_thumb.png

Or something from the sandwiches and salads menu from Great Harvest Bread Company: LortonGreatHarvestBreadCompanySandwichSaladMenu.pdf

American Bar-B-Q and Catering has closed permanently and is replaced by El Carbonero, a Salvadoran / Tex-Mex restaurant: post-2-0-53502000-1436166968_thumb.png

Mike's American in Springfield is only two exits to Lorton, if you're comfortable with time.

You could have a place in mind as a backup, and then spend a couple minutes driving around, seeing what you can find.

• Like 1

Little man, my mom, and I loved the auto train! Make sure you pack pillows and some sort of throw, and I recommend choosing one of the 2nd story seats, if you haven't been on the auto train before.

Maybe some pho in Springfield or grab and go and eat at the station? There's not much to do at the station, so if you do go very early, you'll be sitting around for a long while.

But I loved it was the only train I've been on that a) had full-service meal (get the early seating btw) and b ) had snacks and movie time in the food car after.

I get motion sickness on the metro, but wasn't affected on the auto train, fwiw. Have fun!!

PS. If you hadn't paid the $50 to get your car released early at the destination, I think the fee is worth it. I didn't pay it and I waited around for another hour before they unloaded my car...

• Like 1

If I was coming from Montgomery County, and I carefully planned my time, recognizing there is a longish boarding time available, I might suggest stopping at Pizzeria Orso in Falls Church.  Its excellent and its great for kids.  Its not far off the Beltway; I'd guess taking the Rte 50 exit East might be the simplest exit.  Clearly there are many food alternatives far closer.

Auto train is fun.  Haven't done it in some years, but its a nice way to travel.  Definitely go for an upper deck seat, as suggested by GoodEats.  Provides for better vistas while traveling.

There aren't that many options near the station in Sanford, but I am partial to a Publix sub for eating during the ride north. (I do not experience any of the aforementioned motion sickness on the train.) And although there is a bar car in the train, it is not always the most convenient, so I like to take a small cooler with drinks. There are coolers of ice available for passengers located (usually) near the stairs or water station. (I'm going to be honest here: I have no idea what the rules are about bringing alcohol for consumption on the train are...) Last trip north I got a pear cider called Rekorderling from a Total Wine near Orlando and it was really good, if you're into that sot of thing. (Total Wine stores in the DC area do not carry it...I asked.)

Enjoy your travels!

• Like 1

And then we did none of these things but stopped at Whole Foods and Astro Donut on the way to the train!

As predicted, we were not bothered by motion sickness on the train.  The dinner wasn't bad but I could have used a more substantial breakfast than cereal and muffins.

The Sugar Mill was just okay--it was hot, it isn't air-conditioned and it is super crowded.  Probably not the best experience with overtired traveling companions (Mr. BLB flew in that am and we picked him up at the airport after getting off the train...)

I did not have time to hit Total Wine but we adore Publix.  There is one 5 minutes from where we stayed in Daytona and we were there at least once a day.  They are so darn nice!

So we're doing it again. Both ways this time!

The plan so far--Mike's American Grill for brunch before boarding, possibly with a stop at the nearby (ish?) Wegmans.  Bringing booze, a mini cooler for cold cuts and yogurt and our pillows.  Heading back we are thinking about Hollerbach's for lunch and whatever food we didn't finish at the beach in the cooler.

Remembering to report back...

Mike's American Grill was a good lunch choice pre-train.  No brunch menu so  we did straight lunch.  Came in right on budget and got us to the train right on time. 

Heading back, we were tired and didn't want to do anything fancy.  Ended up at the closest Publix for a package of cold fried chicken.  While not the overwhelmingly friendly folks that the Publix we visit in Daytona beach has, it was good food and the price was right.  

I really, really do not need to do the auto train again though... 

• Like 1

We booked a family room, which span the width of the train.  It was pretty roomy and comfortable enough.  We were located downstairs while most the people had rooms upstairs, so we had 3 bathrooms and a shower to ourselves for the most part.  The food was mediocre at best, but we were allowed to bring a cooler and drinks onboard.  The next day, unloading the cars can take 20 minutes to 90 minutes.  We did not pay for priority unloading and was unfortunate enough to be one of the last cars unloaded.  The wifi was pretty nonexistent even though I have Verizon.

Just read an article on Wapo purporting provide everything you need to know about taking the auto train.  I thought I would glean some additional insight from the comments.  Here are some top troll comments:

The worst aspect is ending up in Florida.

I have taken the auto train when I have gone to Florida.  Works fine.  However, I have no interest in going to Florida ever again.  They will not have my money.

I agree.  Nothing attracts me to spend in nasty Florida anymore.  

Until we so spending such a large portion of our budget on the military, nothing will happen
America need their wars to sustain military power

You volunteered to go to Florida??

Uh...why would any sane person want to travel to Florida in September 2021 ?!?