Restaurant Inspection and Violation Data on the Internet

DonRocks

Restaurant inspections and violations are performed and reported by government agencies, and in general, I'm all for actions of publicly-funded agencies to be open to the public, but I'm not all that sure about how just it is publishing the results of inspections *given how low the public's education level is about inspections*.

Just now, I looked at the results of a routine inspection, and saw "3 critical violations" at a restaurant that has a reputation for cleanliness that's so squeaky clean that it almost seems surreal that they'd have any violations for anything at all. The report from the inspection is as follows:

---

Code   Observation / Corrective Action 3-301.11(b )   Corrected During Inspection Critical A food employee was observed handling the following ready-to-eat food using their bare hands: Tuna (while searing ahi tuna).

Except when washing fruits and vegetables, food employees may not contact ready-to-eat foods using their bare hands. Employees shall use suitable utensils such as deli tissue, spatulas, tongs, or clean disposable gloves to handle all ready-to-eat foods.

3-501.16(A)(1)   Corrected During Inspection Critical The following food item was found hot holding at improper temperatures using a calibrated food temperature measuring device: pulled pork 123F--Alto sham HH cabinet

Potentially hazardous foods (time/temperature control for safety food) shall be hot held at a temperature of 135°F or above unless the permit holder is using "time as public health control" as specified under 3-501.19. Note: Reheat

3-501.16(A)(2)(a)   Corrected During Inspection Critical Repeat The following food items were observed cold holding at improper temperatures using a calibrated food temperature measuring device: garlic butter 80F--grill; sour cream 48F, sliced provolone 45F--cold well--saute station. goat cheese 48F --3DR salad prep top.

Potentially hazardous foods (time/temperature control for safety food) shall be held cold at a temperature of 41°F or below unless the permit holder is using "time as public health control" as specified under 3-501.19 to limit bacteria growth. Note: Moved all items inside a refrigerator. garlic butter will be labeled with time. Note: Per the manager, they discard the garlic butter after each shift.

4-204.112(

There was no temperature measuring device located in the following cold or hot holding equipment: several prep refrigerators at cookline

Cold or hot holding equipment used for the storage of potentially hazardous foods (time/temperature control for safety food) shall be designed to include and shall be equipped with at least one integral or permanently affixed temperature measuring device that is located to allow easy viewing of the device's temperature display.

6-301.14

Repeat Observed that sign or poster that notifies food employees to wash their hands is not provided at handwashing sink near dish machine.
Provide a sign or poster at all handwashing sinks used by food employees that reminds food employees to wash their hands.
blank.gif

---

Question to myself: Do I think the general public is intelligent enough to figure out what things mean on their own? YES, IF GIVEN THE PROPER INFORMATION AND TRAINING, but I also think the general public can have something of a mob mentality if they aren't treated properly, and could quickly turn against a place.

So, while I'm not offering any answers here, and in fact, am not even asking any questions here, I am observing a situation that makes me a bit uncomfortable. And I sure hope these inspectors never come over to my house, because I leave butter and cheese out all night long *all the time*.

• Like 1

I believe the risk of such public information is offset by the flood of it.

If the only thing published was this report - yeah, that's an issue when/if misinterpreted.  But so long as the inspecting agency publishes ALL of its work like this, then the casual reader (who's most likely to misinterpret) fades this to noise.  As does everyone else.

Now - if this restaurant kills people or burns to the ground, then a reporter may go back and pull this info out, looking for patterns or foreshadowing.  But...the inspecting agency's job is of course to keep that from happening.

• Like 2