Why Are Australasian Cooking Shows Better?

thistle

First of all, is there a better collective term for Australia & New Zealand? I have commented before on my love for the Aussie & Kiwi versions of Masterchef & My Kitchen Rules. I just discovered Restaurant Revolution, available on YouTube, teams do startup restaurants built out of shipping containers, & are judged by a chef (Neil Perry), restaurant reviewer, FOH expert,& branding & media person. So far (5 episodes in), it's pretty entertaining.

My daughter says that no one besides me really enjoys competitive cooking shows, maybe that's true, but these shows are the food world equivalent of a fantasy football league. I also love hearing about ingredients I'm not familiar with- kumara (squash?), trevally, Moreton Bay bugs, but I don't understand the obsession w/ beetroot.

First of all, is there a better collective term for Australia & New Zealand? 

I think you mean ANZAC. It originally meant Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, but it's lately been used to signify both countries, jointly. Australasian includes the entire South Pacific area. IIRC.

• Like 1

Random observations- lots of IKEA style kitchens, their supermarkets look very similar to ours, but I would freak out if I had to drive on the other side of the road, the contestants swear a lot (& are bleeped out- I find it endearing, because that's how I cook), they eat lots of lamb, & this year's Australia's MC does not have as many interesting contestants as past years- they are mostly young & boring.

This refers to MC & MKR, I'm going to guess that Dom, RR's only solo contestant, is going to finish strong, & that the 2 girls (who have no hospitality experience) will only finish, if they've managed to find & keep a chef.

Archaically, or at least of an Anglo-centric world view, these were known as the Antipodes.

I wonder why "Down Under" generally refers only to Australia. It seems that it could stand in for the Antipodes to refer to both former colonies. Which reminds me of the famous sentence "Mommy, what did you bring that book I don't want to be read to out of about Down Under up for?"