Miracle Noodles, Fiber-Based Pasta Packs with 0 Calories a Serving - Made from the Konjac Yam

DanCole42

Zero calorie pasta. Zero calorie pasta! Zero calorie pasta!!!

If you read my post on Intermittent Fasting, you might be wondering what the heck I eat on those fast days. My main meal is so filling I can barely move after I eat it. "Filling! But, how can you possibly feel full from a meal that's only 600 calories?" I don't. I feel full after eating a meal that's barely 50 calories. Technically the pasta itself is 0 calories - I just add a ton of veggies.

Miracle Noodles are a brand of Ameri-friendly shirataki noodles. It's zero calorie pasta made from plant fiber from the konjac yam. Yes, zero calorie pasta.

Here's the Variety Pack.

When you first open the package, it's kind of slimy. according to the video instructions, first you rinse them and then you dry roast them in a nonstick pan. They don't really taste like anything, but if you dry them properly you can basically infuse them with any flavors you want. It's fun! Typically I'll do something like:

Mexican Fettucini

Sazon Goya flavor packets, cider vinegar, dry-roasted vegetables, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, lime juice, tons of toasted cumin, oregano

Pho

Torch some Chinese five spice seasoning, soy sauce, rice vinegar, fish sauce, miso paste, dry-roasted vegetables, chili paste, basil

In both cases, the calories are coming from the vegetables (and you can get a ton of veggies for 50-100 calories).

CAUTION

When you put something in your body that your body can't digest, it has to go somewhere. You might be tempted to eat a pound of this stuff, but keep in mind you're basically eating a pound of Metamucil. Here's my other recommended purchase.

• Like 1

I buy shirataki noodles periodically. I forget the brand, but I buy them at Whole Foods.  They need to be washed off really well or they taste fishy.  My husband likes them more than I do, though I don't dislike them. That's kind of funny because he's way more sensitive to fishy tasting fish than I am.  It's a good way to save on carbs and calories, though.

I'm not too creative with meal ideas for them, but I just saw this recipe using the fettuccine version on a blog I read. She also had this one for shirataki lo mein recently.

Are these dried "noodles" with a long shelf-life? If so, thank you Dan (and Pat) for introducing me to something I'd never heard of. If they're anything close to what I think, they will come into great favor with me. What other kitchen items do you need to make them? Pot with boiling water, spoon to stir, and some soy sauce for flavoring? Thank you - I'm willing to go out to lunch less-often if I have something lying around that's low in calories that I like.

Are these dried "noodles" with a long shelf-life? If so, thank you Dan (and Pat) for introducing me to something I'd never heard of. If they're anything close to what I think, they will come into great favor with me. What other kitchen items do you need to make them? Pot with boiling water, spoon to stir, and some soy sauce for flavoring? Thank you - I'm willing to go out to lunch (or dinner less-often if I have something lying around that's low in calories that I like.

I remembered this is the kind I get:  http://www.nooodle.com.  This type has no calories.  There are quite a few different brands and products.

The ones I've bought are not dried and are packed in liquid.  At Whole Foods they are in the refrigerated case with the tofu.  Other places I've seen the noodles just out on the regular shelves.  I think the advice is to refrigerate to extend shelf life, though.  There are also some available dried but I've never had them.

Are these dried "noodles" with a long shelf-life? If so, thank you Dan (and Pat) for introducing me to something I'd never heard of. If they're anything close to what I think, they will come into great favor with me. What other kitchen items do you need to make them? Pot with boiling water, spoon to stir, and some soy sauce for flavoring? Thank you - I'm willing to go out to lunch less-often if I have something lying around that's low in calories that I like.

Don-

They are packed in liquid and will last a year in the fridge. They can absolutely be kept on hand as a "random snack." They're actually easier to make than boiling pasta - you don't even need to boil water.

1. Slice open package.
  2. Drain noodles into a colander.
  3. Rinse under cold water.
  4. Shake off excess water.
  5. Put in a non-stick pan over medium-high to high heat, stirring occasionally (I use plastic tongs).
    1. They take a few minutes to dry. This is usually when I assemble the rest of the ingredients.
    2. Usually I'll just dump a ton of frozen veggies in the microwave on the Frozen Vegetable setting, then use the same colander I used to drain the noodles to drain the veggies.
  6. When dry (they'll "whistle" when you press down on them), that's it. They're done.

At that point, add whatever flavors you want. It can be as simple as a little soy sauce and sriracha, or as many items as I list in my original post. Heck, there's no shame in using some kind of ethnic flavor packet.

I've been doing whey protein & frozen fruit smoothies for my fasting days, but it just seemed so cold and damp tonight that I couldn't stand the thought of a shake for dinner.  I had gotten some of the shirataki noodles after reading this convo a couple of weeks ago, so I pulled them out and rinsed/dried, and then added some defatted homemade chicken stock and dried herbs and called it noodle soup.  Definitely will be doing that again, but I'll doctor up the broth a little more next time.  Still, a pretty satisfying dinner for ~50 calories is amazing.

• Like 1