Staying at Inova-Fairfax Hospital on Gallows Road - Need Good Food Options, Especially Delivery

JSnake

Hey guys. In a real situation here. I'm staying for a few nights at the Inova Fairfax Hospital on Gallows Rd, right near the Mosiac District. Can anyone recommend some delivery/take-out options near me that will travel/reheat well? There's no way I'm eating this hospital food. I notice Elephant Jumps, for example, is near me but I've only ever had experience dining in there. Does any of the food from their "serious authentic Thai food" menu reheat well? I loved the Gang Hung Lay when I ate there but have no idea how it would handle even the shortest of drives.

Anyway, all suggestions are welcome!

Hey guys. In a real situation here. I'm staying for a few nights at the Inova Fairfax Hospital on Gallows Rd, right near the Mosiac District. Can anyone recommend some delivery/take-out options near me that will travel/reheat well? There's no way I'm eating this hospital food. I notice Elephant Jumps, for example, is near me but I've only ever had experience dining in there. Does any of the food from their "serious authentic Thai food" menu reheat well? I loved the Gang Hung Lay when I ate there but have no idea how it would handle even the shortest of drives.

While it's a pain to pull up to, matchbox has a pretty strong takeout game with dedicated heat-lamped station. elephant jumps travels well and is an easy grab. in a pinch the 24 hour cafeteria has a healthy and pretty tasty thing of farrow, beans and veggies in a cup in the grab and go cooler when you first walk in.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you're confined as you are. Elephant Jumps offers delivery as well as pickup, and not everything on their regular menu is offered for takeout, so what is is likely what they've found will survive the trip.

Pho Cyclo, a few doors down from Elephant Jumps, also offers delivery ($25 min) and takeout.

Dominion Deli (in the same shopping center) delivers breakfast and lunch.

Raouche Cafe, at Gallows & 29, offers very garlicky Lebanese takeout, but no delivery. Likewise, Sabrina's Grill on Gallows Rd. just north of Arlington Blvd. offers great Peruvian rotisserie chicken (haven't tried anything else there) for takeout (no delivery).

These suggestions are closer to the hospital than the Mosaic District itself is, so might be easier to navigate. HTH

• Like 3

Also, Sweetwater Tavern does not "do" take-out, but if you order at the bar then, once your meal gets to you, tell the bartender you have to leave and they'll box it up for you.  If you need napkins, utensils or a beverage, you're SOL, though for those.

Ended up ordering from Lost Dog Cafe at about 9:30 last night. Delivery was quick and they brought it right to the room. I gave him a huge tip for that. I got the Baked Ziti. Their version uses mozzarella, Parmesan and (I think) ricotta. It was a damn delicious baked ziti. It's hard to evaluate the actual culinary merits of this dish considering the circumstances but as someone who grew up helping mom with the Sunday gravy every week, it certainly hit the spot.

• Like 2

Yes! I've had both T3 (the Gang Hung Lay) and T4 (the Tuna) twice now, and both reheat well. The vermicelli, not quite as well, but that's a minor component. You can actually just mix them both into one big bowl - they go really well together!

I agree with Scottee about Elephant Jumps and Pho Cyclo being all you need if it's just for a couple of days. Sweetwater Tavern is right there, too, and the breakfast sandwiches at Dominion Deli are perfectly fine (but they don't reheat well at all). I haven't been to Grevey's in a long time, and nothing else on the Sweetwater side of Gallows is worth getting unless you're literally dying of starvation, and hopefully they'd give you TPN before that occurs. Don't forget: You aren't far at all from Koreatown on Route 236, or from some of the Chinese places on Route 50 (Miu Kee, Vinh Kee) or Myanmar, Victor's Grill, etc. on Route 29 (I think there's a Taco Baja there as well) - some of those places probably deliver. Check Grubhub.com and do a location search near you (make *sure* they deliver - that website co-mingles delivery and pickup-only restaurants). I looked, and Curry Mantra in Fairfax delivers to you with a $35 minimum (no delivery charge) - read my Curry Mantra and London Curry House posts for an idea of what to order. Most of these places aren't going to win any awards, but they're all fine, and one heck of a lot better than more "local" options to you.

• Like 1