NYC with Two Children over Thanksgiving Weekend, 9 and 6 Years Old - Need Casual and Kid-Friendly

Al Dente

I'll be taking my 5, I mean 5 and 3/4 year-old daughter to the big city the week of Thanksgiving. I'm not sure which days yet, but we'll likely be there 3 or 4 days. Some of my family are heading up there to take my 9 year-old niece to the Macy's Day Parade. I'm hoping NOT to attend that part.

Anyway, it's been an unforgivably long time since I've been there, and I've never been there with kids. Any ideas about casual restaurants that perhaps have a kid-friendly spin, or other foodie destinations like markets? Also, where would one dine for Thanksgiving dinner?

When I've taken my kids to NYC on weekend trips, they've enjoyed Batali's Otto, Katz's, Joe's Shanghai, PIZZA, Momofuku, late night hot chocolate at whatever the cafe is overlooking the skating rink at Bryant Park, and a hot bagel from Ess-A-Bagel, David's, or Murray's.

You can go see them inflate the Macy's balloon the night before with a much smaller crowd.

This sounds like a great idea: the five-year-old will not remember any details of the trip, but might remember the single act of blowing up the balloon, especially if you watch said balloon on TV the next day and make a big fuss over it ("Remember what we saw last night? That's what we saw!"). Based on what booklovingbabe said, this is exactly what I'd do, and the good thing is that the nine-year-old isn't so old that she'd be bored with doing both things - it sounds perfect.

"Dining in Brooklyn with Toddlers" by Tweaked

"Celebratory Dinner ... Ages 4 through 60" by adjen

"Child-Friendly Lunch for 8 ...." by Ericandblueboy

This sounds like a great idea: the five-year-old will not remember any details of the trip, but might remember the single act of blowing up the balloon, especially if you watch said balloon on TV the next day and make a big fuss over it ("Remember what we saw last night? That's what we saw!"). Based on what booklovingbabe said, this is exactly what I'd do, and the good thing is that the nine-year-old isn't so old that she'd be bored with doing both things - it sounds perfect.

"Dining in Brooklyn with Toddlers" by Tweaked

"Celebratory Dinner ... Ages 4 through 60" by adjen

"Child-Friendly Lunch for 8 ...." by Ericandblueboy

I will say that we took a friend's 6 year old many moons ago and said "we are going to see them blow up the balloons" and she was quite unhappy that there were no explosions.  So if you have a particularly literal child, go with "inflate the balloons" instead...