Kana Sushi - Owners Haeri Kim and Chef Chris Kim's Sushi House in the Former Toki Teriyaki Space in K-Mart Plaza, Springfield

Kana Sushi is a new sushi restuarant out in front of the Springfield Plaza on Old Keene Mill Road. It is very small, with only four seats at the sushi counter and a few tables in the front, and 3-4 more down the hall towards the Old Keene Mill exit.

[Perhaps the highlight of the meal was the conversation I overheard between the manager of Kana and a couple who, as I heard (they were loud) had just come over from Italy to open a new pizza restaurant in Springfield Town Center. They were heavily accented, so I'm guessing Springfield is soon to be getting a real pizza restaurant. Or maybe I'm just being hopeful.]

I'll start with Kana's negatives....someone needs to tell the management that the sound track is too loud and too targeted at Millennials. My first conversation with the waitress was drowned out by Beyonce, but that conversation was about whether or not they served brown rice. She was enthusiastic when she said that they do, and it's organic! Unfortunately, as she was being drowned out by Nikki Minaj on her return trip, I think she was saying that they didn't have brown rice. They ran out!

So I ordered the sashimi platter while my tablemates tucked into a variety of sushi. Here's another drawback -- whoever is preparing the sashimi is slicing the absolute largest pieces I have ever seen. These must have been 2-oz. pieces of sashimi, and were somewhat difficult to eat with chopsticks. I was tempted to ask for a steak knife to cut them in half.

However, on the positive side, the quality of the fish was impeccable. I don't know where they source their product, but it was pristine last night. Also on the positive side, the pricing appeared to be reasonable by suburban sushi and sashimi standards. So, I just might pop in my ear plugs and return a few times, but only if I call ahead and determine that brown rice is available!

• Like 1