Kid-Friendly AND Adult-Friendly Venue for a Private Child's Birthday Party

Rhone1998

I'm looking for a creative venue for a kid's (fifth) birthday party.  I'd like to find a space where the kids can have a great time, but where the adults aren't bored out of their minds.  If you've been to a lot of kids birthday parties recently, you know what I mean.  The ideal I have in my mind (fully realizing this doesn't exist) is a bouncy castle attached to a bar.  Where can the adults go and be (responsible) adults, while the kids get to run around and have fun, too?  Any ideas DR.com?

thanks!!

• Like 1

I'm looking for a creative venue for a kid's (fifth) birthday party.  I'd like to find a space where the kids can have a great time, but where the adults aren't bored out of their minds.  If you've been to a lot of kids birthday parties recently, you know what I mean.  The ideal I have in my mind (fully realizing this doesn't exist) is a bouncy castle attached to a bar.  Where can the adults go and be (responsible) adults, while the kids get to run around and have fun, too?  Any ideas DR.com?

thanks!!

Dave & Buster's serves beer. :)

I really think, if you guys even have a small yard, is that the best solution is probably to rent a moon bounce for the yard, have the kids run around and provide your own spread + alcohol. The best birthday parties I've been to are along those lines, as the adults chill either in or outside house, the food is enjoyable and atmosphere relaxed.

Cons that I've found at venues are they are often too loud, kids run amok without supervision, and hard to think or converse.

DCUrbanMom forum usually has some good ideas and here is one on 5th bday party and moon bounce rental ideas.

Although there is no mention of alcohol, little man did attend a fun (and loud) party at BounceU once.

Cabin John park, I think, permits alcohol with a permit. Not sure how that works, but it is a fun place to host a party, if the miniature train is running. The playgrounds are super fun there, too.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I really think, if you guys even have a small yard, is that the best solution is probably to rent a moon bounce for the yard, have the kids run around and provide your own spread + alcohol. The best birthday parties I've been to are along those lines, as the adults chill either in or outside house, the food is enjoyable and atmosphere relaxed. 

Couldn't agree more.  And through last year we had all of our son's birthday parties at home, and they were really as much adult parties as kids parties.   They were great and we all had a good time.  But now he's got a much bigger class at school and the culture if not the rule is if you invite one classmate, you invite them all, and we just don't have the room.

I forgot--other places where I had fun at a bday party are:

1. I think Fort Myer or Fort Belvoir Bowling centers are pretty fun for parties. You don't have to be military to book a party at the bowling centers, as they are open to the public. You do have to go through a car and ID check. The alley is clean and the kids have fun bumper bowling while the adults have fun bowling (automated bumpers) along too. The food is alright and they serve a few beers, if any adult is interested.

2. Ice skating parties were fun too. The kids had a lesson included with the birthday package and then the adults can skate along too.

You can have a mostly private room at Potomac Pizza (Kentlands location) where the kids make their own pizzas and can do other activities.  I'm sure they would serve you beer and pizza for the adults.  We did that for BL-3rd graders 4th birthday.

My gauge of a successful party is how few kids end up crying when it is done. The Bounce U/Pump It Up parties fill that criteria in the 5-7 year old set.  Laser tag has been a huge hit lately.  We just went to a 9 year old's trampoline party and it was the first party in ages where a bunch of kids end up crying because they got bumped and bruised.